Window Motor Replication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Motor Replication

It seems the Monopole forums are now moving into discussion of the window motor, quite timely considering I am halfway through a build. I am looking forward to seeing how much torque can be extracted from this machine.

Rotor is 300mm long, magnets are the length of the rotor (2 x 6 inch magnets) and the whole thing weighs over 20 kilos. Still havent made my mind up on the wire yet. I am also trying to find out the difference between a hollow mild steel hexagon as the rotors surface or a non magnetic hexagon. I believe the non magnetic may have a higher rpm, I just wonder why the steel is specified in the Bedini/Cole notes. Perhaps Peter can offer some insight.
    Last edited by ren; 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM.
    "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Re: window coil wire

Good photos Ren. I like it. Yes, the wire size will be an important consideration. It will take a lot of wire, so you want to get it right on the first try. Are you thinking along the lines of 1,000 turns for the window coil, or something less than that? Judging by the size of your project, it would require around 3600 to 3800 feet of wire to do 1000 wraps. That's a lot of wire!
    Last edited by rickoff; 06-13-2008, 03:28 PM.
    "Seek wisdom by keeping an open mind to alternative realities, questioning authority, and searching for truth. Only then, when you see or hear something that has 'the ring of truth' to it, will it be as if a veil has been lifted, and suddenly you will begin to hear and see far more clearly than ever before." - Rickoff

Comment

Hi Rickoff, I have figured out that 1 turn will equal about 1 meter. Im thinking somewhere along the lines of 200 turns of SWG 19 (AWG 18), thats 200m or more. Probably wind it tri or quad filar with SWG 21/24 as a trigger. Maybe a big recovery coil thrown in there too. who knows.

The magnetic fields are amazing on this thing. If I give it a spin and place a magnet about 1 foot away it will wiggle back and forth as the poles alternate.

I welcome any input others have to offer.
      Last edited by ren; 06-13-2008, 11:24 PM.
      "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

Bloody hell, Ren! That thing is going to be a monster!

Looking forward to your progress! Best of Luck!
        "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
        Nikola Tesla

Comment

Magnets

Hi Ren,

I think you are going to develop some great torque with this machine, and for a mecahnical device that is a big plus. What device, or devices/ do you plan to drive with the shaft output?

Those 2" x 6" magnets are really hefty! What is the supplier and part number on those? I'd like to check the specs.

Can't wait to see more pictures as you move forward with this.

Rickoff
          "Seek wisdom by keeping an open mind to alternative realities, questioning authority, and searching for truth. Only then, when you see or hear something that has 'the ring of truth' to it, will it be as if a veil has been lifted, and suddenly you will begin to hear and see far more clearly than ever before." - Rickoff

Comment

Originally posted by ren View Post
            Hi Rickoff, I have figured out that 1 turn will equal about 1 meter. Im thinking somewhere along the lines of 200 turns of SWG 19 (AWG 18), thats 200m or more. Probably wind it tri or quad filar with SWG 21/24 as a trigger. Maybe a big recovery coil thrown in there too. who knows.

The magnetic fields are amazing on this thing. If I give it a spin and place a magnet about 1 foot away it will wiggle back and forth as the poles alternate.

I welcome any input others have to offer.

Hi Ren,

That's a mighty nice looking build you have going there.I hope you have great success with it .

-Gary

Comment

Thanks Gmeat

Rick, the magnets I got from here Aussie Magnets: A World of Magnets to Your Door but that was only because postage was cheaper. I found another site (USA i think) where the 6 inch by 2 inc by 1 were like 5 or 6 bucks. International Postage was $300 though.

I'll get the thing running and see what I think is best matched as a load. Maybe an unconventional magneto like Hugh Piggots axial flux windmill. Pulse power out of it to match. Who knows.....

Comment

A little more progress made. Rebuilt the rotor, this time with precision cut hexagons. Its heaps better balanced and even
                Last edited by ren; 07-27-2008, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Re: Window motor progress

Hi Ren,

It's looking good. Thanks for the info on the magnets. The magnets are mounted on steel plates, right? It must be really tricky placing the magnets onto the plates so that they align exactly as you want them to. Did you use a NSNSNS placement? Are the angle irons used for supportive containment of the magnets, or for shielding purposes, or both? And what material did you use for the hexagonal end pieces this time?

It will be fun to see this in action. Keep up the good work.

Best regards, Rickoff

Comment

Hi Rickoff,

The magnets are fairly easy to align if precautions are taken. You cant go all brawn at em though, thats a challenge! They slide fairly easy against each other and on the steel plate. Thats the best way to pull em apart too. Gotta be careful when you put them on, they are brittle and will jump out of your hands onto the steel and smash if you try to place them directly on. The little pieces of angled aluminum help keep them straight. I am hoping they offer some sort of shielding or shaping benefit of the field too. The Hex shapes I got CNC'd are still plywood, but thicker and stronger, and precise. There is no wobbles and it coasts smoothly with a constant air gap. In truth it could use a little balancing though, 10 grams here and there, but the thing is so heavy it just keeps on keepin on!

The metal plates are there because the original bedini cole lab notes had mild steel specified with a hollow core. I am not sure how they will perform, but I know it should still work regardless. I dont think I will fix the magnets down till I test it all at low power. The other thing is that there is a small gap between the plates insomuch as each plate is isolated from the other. I would love to see if and how this would effect the shape of the fields. Perhaps it defeats the purpose if the steel perimeter isnt totally enclosed, I dont know, I'll find out. In that case I may be able to fill/patch it, but if I am going to go that far Ill probably skip to a non magnetic surface like aluminum. It is NSNSNS configured.
                    Last edited by ren; 07-05-2008, 07:29 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

RE your setup.

Hi Rickoff,

The magnets are fairly easy to align if precautions are taken. The little pieces of angled aluminum help keep them straight. I am hoping they offer some sort of shielding or shaping benefit too. The Hex shapes I got CNC'd are still plywood, but thicker and stronger, and precise. There is no wobble and it coasts smoooooothly!

The metal plates are there because the original bedini cole lab notes had mild steel specified. I am not sure how they will perform, but I know it should still work regardless. I dont think I will fix the magnets down till I test it all at low power. The other thing is that there is a small gap between the plates insomuch as each plate is isolated from the other. I would love to see if and how this would effect the shape of the fields. It is NSNSNS configured.
                      I think the only thing I would change about your setup is the drag that will be caused with the gaps between each magnet. After you get this running, you might consider filling those gaps with foam or something else.... The less air friction the more rpm...

But looking great Ren! I hope this works out for ya
                      See my experiments here...
                      http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

thanks Mart, good point.

I thought of an easy way to do this, non permanent too. Strip of bicycle inner tube will block all the gaps and hold my magnets in place. Ive already used a strip on my bicycle wheel, works great. And is only a mill thick or so, you still get a decent air gap. Probably stop me getting my fingers caught in it too!

Comment

The Lord works in mysterious ways!

I have been a little down lately due to some financial troubles, which have unfortunately put this window replication on hold. But someone is looking out for me.

I got a call from a good friend about three days ago who promptly introduced me to his boss who was a keen enthusiast in alternate energy ideas. After a little chat he offered to buy the wire for the window motor for me! Needless to say I am a little blown away by his generousity! $300 dollars later and Im off to pick up about 3 kilometers of wire tomorrow!

I cant wait to see it run. Thankyou Luke and Andrew for your contribution, it means the world to me. You guys will probably never even see this, but thanks all the same.

Comment

The Lord works in mysterious ways!

I have been a little down lately due to some financial troubles, which have unfortunately put this window replication on hold. But someone is looking out for me.

I got a call from a good friend about three days ago who promptly introduced me to his boss who was a keen enthusiast in alternate energy ideas. After a little chat he offered to buy the wire for the window motor for me! Needless to say I am a little blown away by his generousity! $300 dollars later and Im off to pick up about 3 kilometers of wire tomorrow!

I cant wait to see it run. Thankyou Luke and Andrew for your contribution, it means the world to me. You guys will probably never even see this, but thanks all the same.

Nice,

Note to self, figure out how Ren is living right, and duplicate

Congrates, I also am looking forward to seeing what that beast can do!

See my experiments here...
                            http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

Lol @ Mart. I guess I got lucky hey

Small vid for you all. Just for laughs

YouTube - Project window and the dancing magnet

Comment

Working...
                              X