Tesla Fountain - Magic Fountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Fountain - Magic Fountain

The Tesla Fountain is something that I've always wanted to experiment with but never had done so... There seems to be something romantic about it and kind of weird that Tesla invented a "water feature". Maybe there is something special about it?

Here is an example of such a fountain, or is appears to be an example of one.

So I built designs in my head for quite awhile and came rough plan for my particular version. But it soon became more that just a water feature fountain.

My design has two stainless steel milk separator cones, upper and lower and the water is pushed in between the gap of the two. The two cones are electrically isolated. It has an RC boat brushless motor, bearings, shaft and prop. It all sits in a large bucket, for continued use.

More to follow.
    "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Magic Fountain

The cones also have 3 pairs of opposing magnets placed, which exposes the water to a N-N magnetic field.

The cones can be electrically energised (positive and negative).

I have also included several pairs of 99.999% fine silver buttons that can be attached to impart colloidal silver into the water.

The circumference of the lower cone which the water cascades over has a series of UV and IR LED's fitted to impart light to the water. (Only UV LED's were fitted at the time of the photo)

Water flowing:

Finally the water flows, by operation of the motor via the RC controller.

The arms that secure the Magic Fountain to the bucket can be adjusted to ensure the cone which the water cascades from is level.

The Magic Fountain remains under R&D currently as propeller size, pitch etc are still being refined.

I'll upload a video of it running when I've got it working nicely.

Yes, that should say Silver not Sliver.

It's a fun little project. - I thought some here might find it interesting...

Sputins.
    "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

Soo many possibilities

Thank you for sharing !
      you mentioned a possible video once it was sorted ?

with gratitude
      Chet K
      If you want to Change the world
      BE that change !!

Comment

Originally posted by RAMSET View Post
        Thank you for sharing !
        you mentioned a possible video once it was sorted ?

with gratitude
        Chet K
        Thanks for the comments Chet,

Yeah, I think there are some possibilities that exist with this thing perhaps.
        - A water structure modification device, with added colloidal silver function if desired.

I've also come up with a smaller hand held trigger operated device running off the garden hose, but more on that to follow later...

Here is a quick 15 second video of the first run of this Magic Fountain... It wasn't leveled correctly and the propeller isn't right yet...

https://youtu.be/lTiFWylqZ2s

More tweaking is required with the correct propeller size & pitch, matched with the motor RPM and flow factors of the fountain itself. But a little more trial and error with this should see some improvements so it can run for an extended period.

It might take a few more weeks to get it sorted and working 100%. I've had some offers of help with some custom designed 3D printed propellers..

I think Tesla himself may have had one of his Tesla Turbines in mind for this application? (If you read between the lines in his patent)...

Once its working as I have envisioned, I'll make a detailed video of it running and showing the other features..

Cheers,
        Sputins.

Comment

Originally posted by Sputins View Post
          I think Tesla himself may have had one of his Tesla Turbines in mind for this application? (If you read between the lines in his patent)...
          That's definitely true: From Tesla's Personal Archives

Nice build. Other possibilities? How about Tesla's "Self Acting Engine"?
          Attached Files

Comment

Tesla fountain with turbine

I can't seem to find the link where I found all of these. It was probably the same link as above but it now has portions blocked out.

One comment about keeping the terminology correct. A propeller is something the moves the device through the medium, like a boat or airplane. An impeller moves the medium through the device.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by thx1138; 01-17-2017, 03:10 PM. Reason: Add comment

Comment

Originally posted by thx1138 View Post
              That's definitely true: From Tesla's Personal Archives

Nice build. Other possibilities? How about Tesla's "Self Acting Engine"?
              I think you're reading a little too much into this. While secretly designing an overunity system into what seems to be the most useless of his patents would be a genius move, there's nothing about this design that seems even remotely effective as an overunity system. Not everything he makes has to be world-changing, maybe he just enjoyed designing that fountain.

Comment

One comment about keeping the terminology correct. A propeller is something the moves the device through the medium, like a boat or airplane. An impeller moves the medium through the device.
                thx1138,

Thanks for the .pdf & links.

Yes, I should have said impeller rather than propeller.

I did not know about the table top fountain designs of Tesla between 1919 and 1921. The pictures or drawings in that book have certainly inspired a few new ideas.

Whether these fountains can be configured as a self-acting engine or not, I don’t know for sure but it gives some food for thought.

I approached this fountain project as a water structure modification device, along with adapting or considering some of Gerald Polacks concepts.

I’ve also considered more advanced designs (but those pictures now have me really thinking). One could also consider the addition of Lord Kelvins “Thunderstorm” apparatus, utilizing falling droplets of water, derived from the fountain to generate HV electrostatic flux for additional effects or use…

I think there is a quite a large avenue of investigation into Tesla Table Top
                Fountains for sure, (larger scales too). - They could be simply an ornamental fountain, water modification devices, an energy extraction device, a plant growing device, or some combination of all of those things. – Certainly opens up more avenues than just a useless fountain!

Gerald Pollack says E=H2O - so there is something to work with.

Sputins.
                Last edited by Sputins; 01-18-2017, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingus View Post
                  I think you're reading a little too much into this. While secretly designing an overunity system into what seems to be the most useless of his patents would be a genius move, there's nothing about this design that seems even remotely effective as an overunity system. Not everything he makes has to be world-changing, maybe he just enjoyed designing that fountain.
                  It's certainly possible I'm reading too much into it.

I don't think the device is useless. It's always nice to hear the splashing of a fountain. I find it very soothing.

The other thing to consider regarding his motivation is that his patents for alternating current motors and power distribution expired in 1905 so he had lost that royalty income. He applied for patents for his turbine in 1909 and his fountain in 1913. As the archives show, he worked on table top fountains that included his turbine. I suspect that was to reach a broader market. So it could be that this work was just a way of developing a source of income that would leave his time free to work on other projects.

Over unity? I don't know. That's why I posted here. The thing that got me thinking about over unity was the lower arrangement in figure 2. Why use that arrangement when the motor could simply be mounted in the center of the cylinder as in figure 4 and all of the table top fountains show it centered with direct drive? But figure 2 shows mechanical multiplication.

There are a couple of things in The Problem of Increasing Human Energy that relate to over unity. Although strictly speaking it's not over unity, that's where he discusses the self acting engine. He also mentions the work of Dewar and Linde on liquefying gases. Key to that work was moving the gas through a tube inside a tube which is similar to the fountain's cylinder inside a cylinder.

Comment

I don't think the device is useless. It's always nice to hear the splashing of a fountain. I find it very soothing.
                    More often than not I find the sound makes me need to use the bathroom. At least they look nice.
                    The other thing to consider regarding his motivation is that his patents for alternating current motors and power distribution expired in 1905 so he had lost that royalty income. He applied for patents for his turbine in 1909 and his fountain in 1913. As the archives show, he worked on table top fountains that included his turbine. I suspect that was to reach a broader market. So it could be that this work was just a way of developing a source of income that would leave his time free to work on other projects.
                    I've been reading more about his homopolar motor design lately, which he patented after his AC motor & on occasion has described it is self-acting. It's possible the homopolar motor was used to power a tesla pump that moved the fountain water. Maybe it's meant to run in reverse as a water turbine or upside-down to harness hot rising gases. There are a lot of possibilities.
                    Over unity? I don't know. That's why I posted here. The thing that got me thinking about over unity was the lower arrangement in figure 2. Why use that arrangement when the motor could simply be mounted in the center of the cylinder as in figure 4 and all of the table top fountains show it centered with direct drive? But figure 2 shows mechanical multiplication.
                    That might just be to prevent against loopholes in the patent right. Maybe it's easier to build in some places. I have no idea.
                    There are a couple of things in The Problem of Increasing Human Energy that relate to over unity. Although strictly speaking it's not over unity, that's where he discusses the self acting engine. He also mentions the work of Dewar and Linde on liquefying gases. Key to that work was moving the gas through a tube inside a tube which is similar to the fountain's cylinder inside a cylinder.
                    I didn't know about that. Now that I know there's some rationale behind an overunity claim, it might be worth looking into. I'm not really interested in liquids myself, so I never made the connection.

Comment

when I first saw this design I figured it was built that way because good seals for bearings were not a thing back then.
                      your motor had to be over the water level somehow.
                      and this was just a cleaver way to do that

Comment

Originally posted by spacecase0 View Post
                        when I first saw this design I figured it was built that way because good seals for bearings were not a thing back then.
                        your motor had to be over the water level somehow.
                        and this was just a cleaver way to do that
                        Perhaps true.

- I would like to think that if Tesla wanted to engineer a waterproof bearing, he would have designed something fit for the purpose!

I’ll be trying some different impeller configurations soon with a few other ideas to try as well. (I have a four-day weekend, yay)

Comment

somewhere I have a drink fountain that uses this design,
                          and a chocolate fountain that was similar (gave it away)
                          but have never looked at the impeller design for either one

Comment

Originally posted by spacecase0 View Post
                            somewhere I have a drink fountain that uses this design,
                            and a chocolate fountain that was similar (gave it away)
                            but have never looked at the impeller design for either one
                            I’ve seen drink fountains for dogs that kind of look similar, where they pump water from a reservoir from below up to bowl on the top. Keeps the water moving and not stagnate / stale etc. and the water lasts for a week rather than a day – They look similar and perhaps are but they use a standard pond water pump with flexible tubing, not using an impeller like Tesla’s design does.

I believe (at least the one’s I’ve seen) chocolate fountains use an Archimedes like screw to lift the viscous chocolate / olive oil mixture to the top.

Comment

Secret Rocket Exhaust in Disguise

I'm going to blow the whistle on this subject!

After Nikola Tesla patented the turbine/motor, pump/compressor in 21 different countries his next patent was the "fountain"

The fountain is a secret rocket exhaust in disguise!

FIG 1 & 2 are for water

FIG 3 & 4 are for air

Number 9 should be a Tesla pump with tear shaped exhaust ports.

It needs no motor as the driving force it the air leaving the turbine at speed.

The spiral path of the air leaving the pump is a giant volute as it goes round and round the conduit number 3.

I'f you've not read the patent, it's hilarious.

Tesla's sense of humour shines in this patent and his clear brilliance of hiding one of his most amazing bolt ons to the turbine.

Build a turbine and fountain and you have a very powerful propulsion device.

You have what this guy has but in reverse!!!!!

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms81KGAXFDo[/VIDEO]

Comment

Working...
                              X