Slayer Exciter Specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slayer Exciter Specs?

Hello - I've read several threads on the slayer exciter circuit but being that I'm a total newb to circuitry I haven't seen anything that gives a step by step process on how to build one accompanied with a specific parts list. I have tried building one but it didn't work at all. Also, I've seen some videos with smaller diameter pvc and some with larger diameter, but can't make heads or tails out of the circuit. Below are the parts I have:

2n3055 (used with Super Joule Ringer)
    1" PVC
    28 Gauge Magnet Wire
    16 Gauge Wire

1. Can I use these items above to build a slayer exciter or are there any other parts that I should use instead to make the circuit perform better (diodes, resistors)?
    2. Assuming I can use the 1" PVC, how many turns for the 28 gauge wire? Turns for the 16 gauge?
    3. Could someone provide a written description on how the circuit should be hooked up? I can't make sense out of schematics.

Thanks for the help in advance.

To see the circuit information on the Slayer type of Exciter you can look at his Youtube channel. Most of his videos provide a circuit diagram.
    GBluer's channel - YouTube

I can tell you that the L3 coil that uses a ferrite rod inside of the secondary, can be made a small as one or two inches long, and will work well. this will avoid hours of winding the big L3 coils that are used most of the time.
    Best transistor to use is the 2n2222, many others will also work, but not as well. You'll also need a diode or two (1N4148), and a 1 meg resistor.
    The primary coil can be as small as three turns around the L3 (secondary coil). Secondary coil can be made from the 30 gauge magnet wire, primary L1 coil can be most any insulated copper wire, or made into a pancake shape, and placed around the bottom part of the L3 coil.

The link that I provided above is Slayer's best circuit. So, to avoid spending a lot of time trying many other circuits, you may want to start with that one.
    Good luck,
    Nick_Z

Comment

Nick, thanks for the help. I have watched some of his stuff before. Does he have a specific video I can reference? The ones I saw looks like he was using large PVC... do you know which video has the small ferrite you were referring to? Thanks again man.

Comment

May I ask how Slayer exciter behave when tuned ? I wonder if somebody can tune it don to very low input power and what happen when you load secondary ? Can capacitor RCL circuit be used in Slayer exciter ?

Sorry if those are dumb questions , I'm looking for the best oscillator to scale up for kind of inverter self-oscillating self-adjusting frequency with RCL circuit of high Q so huge reactive power can circulate in it while input power is very small if not loaded . By scale up I mean able to power from 12 up to 36V like common power inverter input. Not sure if this is possible at all.Any ideas ?

Comment

So far I've gathered that I need the following:

2n2222 Transistor
          1N4148 Diodes (2)
          30 Gauge Magnet Wire
          16 Gauge Wire
          1 Meg Resistor

The next questions are:

- I'm only creating 2 coils correct? L3 is called the secondary and the L1 is the primary?

- The L3 being an air core from PVC wound 1-2 inches with 30 gauge magnet wire with a ferrite rod/core placed inside the PVC? So the ferrite core isn't wrapped with wire, just simply placed inside and not connected to anything?

- Which video on his channel shows the correct schematic? Some of his shows an LED indicator and such. I just want the simplest form of the circuit since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

In the meantime, I had this 1-1.5" ferrite core that I ripped out of an old CPU power supply. I wrapped the entire thing with 30 gauge magnet wire and wrapped a small piece of 16 gauge around the base and hooked it up to a few random transistors I had on hand, but nothing worked.

Should this work on a minimal level? Attached is a picture.

Comment

Here is my video showing the comparison of three different Exciters, they all have basically the same circuit. Lidmotor also have several videos showing the diagram and his versions. Jonny Davro was the first one to come up with the 2cm Exciter, you may want to look at that video as well.
              I don't have time right now to get into an other explanations, but you are following along well. Study the recommended videos and their diagrams, first.
              I'll be glad to answer any other questions, later.
              Nick
              My one inch Exciter video:
              Tiny Exciter coil circuit lighting CFL bulbs - YouTube

Comment

hi am only new to all this i lernt a heep from this one ( Joulethief SEC exciter and variants ) ,, regards bart

Comment

Hey guys, I rebuilt the coil just to make sure that wasn't a problem and also picked up the 2n2222 at radio shack. I've posted a video showing the setup and explaining where I am with the process. I would appreciate your thoughts... thanks! Below is the link to the video.

2012 11 21 21 33 20 306 - YouTube

Comment

Good video.

Normally, something like a 24K resistor will run from the Positive battery connection to the Base of the transistor. Often it can be removed once the thing fires up, but it needs that initial feedback to come through from your 30 gauge Secondary.
                    24K is Red/Yellow/Orange/Gold. You could also use a 100K variable pot.
                    Resistor color codes chart: http://www.dannyg.com/examples/res2/resistor.htm

Turns for that sort of tower should be in the order of 600+
                    The Primary should be wound in the opposite direction to the Secondary, If the circuit doesn't fire up, swap the Primary connecting leads over.
                    Otherwise, 4.5V is a good start place, the 2N2222A will need to be checked for temperature when running, but it should be fine. Can always clip a penny onto the flat face of it as a heatsink if it does get overly warm.

The LED seen in a lot of derivations on the circuit, is there for both protecting the Base from too high an input and also to serve as a visual indicator. As an indicator it will light brightest when the Primary is at exactly the right place up or down on the Secondary. If that LED comes on at all, then the circuit is running.
                    LED goes from the Emitter to the Base, placed in backwards, so that the Positive leg is connected to the Negative of the battery.

To test for the wireless field, an LED on an AV plug and few inches of wire is the easiest thing to do. Take the LED, connect a 1N4148 diode to each respective leg, as in Negative direction of diode to Negative leg of LED. Join the diodes together at the other end and hang a length of wire off that join. Now, you'll get an idea of the inductive range of the setup when it does fire up.

Other good transistors for this sort of setup are MPSA06, C1815, D677, C3198...lots of mid to high hFE signal transistors really (hFE is given in online datasheets and anything above 150 is a good one to try). Even a 2N3904 will get you started, but the 2N2222A is a winner anyway
                    Last edited by Slider2732; 11-22-2012, 05:23 AM.

Comment

In order to really know if the circuit is wired right, for sure, use only a 1.5 volt AA battery, at first. This will avoid frying the transistors, and fooling you like with your led lighting up as you have it in your video.
                      To test the wireless field to see if the wireless field works on that low 1 volt voltage, use an Av plug, like Slider mentioned.
                      You'll need two different Av plugs, like I am showing in my video. One with a neon bulb to test for High Voltage, and another one with an led to test for low voltages. The led Av plug will not really show if you are really getting high voltage from the secondary, like over 100 volts.
                      You will need the 1meg resistor, not 1 k, like you mentioned, as they are not the same. But, a 1k resistor will work on the low 1 volt input.
                      You'll need at least one 1n4148 diode between the base and the emitter, also. The band on the diode goes on the side facing the transistor base. The 1meg resistor also goes on the transistor base between the diode and the battery positive pole.
                      Make the primary coil so it can slide on the secondary coil, to tune for the right location, not just at the very bottom of the secondary like you have it. An inch from the bottom would be a good starting point.
                      When you use higher voltages like 6v to 12v, put your finger on the transistor to feel when it is getting too hot. If you can't touch it without burning your finger, it is too hot. Buy several of the 2n2222 transistors, you'll need them, as they easily burn out.
                      Primary coil only needs to be Three turns of thinner insulated wire, than what you are using. Although what you are using should also work.
                      If the circuit does not start by itself, you can use the Av plug to tap the transistor's connections, and that will kick start the oscillator to fire up the led on the Av plug, and that will show you that the circuit is working.
                      Wireless field should be from several inches to a couple of feet or more away from the tower's secondary coil, when reading the led's light on the Av plug.

Anyways, now you've probably have gotten too much advice, from us all. But, make another video to show what you've done to improve the circuit.
                      Last edited by Nick_Z; 11-22-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Slayer transistor Mod

My version
                        Slayer Booster 2DMax - YouTube
                        Slayer Booster 2DMax

thanks to Slayer
                        With direct dc 5 meters led strip consume 700 mA with Slayer 110 ma
                        6 leds 200mA 50 mA
                        3 watt led 240 mA 70 mA

totoalas

Comment

@ totoalas:
                          Looks like a nice set up, that lights the leds much more economically than with normal power.
                          Can you tell us something about what your Exciter coils are like, and any other components used.

Here is the link to gbluer's latest videos, there are several of them.
                          I am glad to see him back in action. Slayer also has a take off on Dr. Stiffler's infinity light, on another video. He has very low input current used to light his bulbs, and sometimes to charge another battery as well.
                          Please have a look:
                          Exciter Transistor Mod Update - YouTube

Nick_Z
                          Last edited by Nick_Z; 02-01-2013, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Hi nickz
                            Ur right same video schematics slayer transistor mod
                            L3 is wrapped around L1 counter clockwise one third of 20 iches L1
                            Start to ground and output of L1 and L3 to dc led

Totoalas

Comment

Will try my nils 12v 1ma on led bulbs with this circuit
                              Fot solat ome fpr each lamp and one booster for each panel
                              Totoalas

Comment

Working...
                              X