Friction heater running in my house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friction heater running in my house

This friction heater I have built costs me around 5 cents a hour to run @ 14 cents a kilowatt. The inside temp of my house is at 70F day and night, the out side is around 30F to 10F. That would be a delta T between 40F and 60F. My house is around 1250 sq. ft.
    Here is my youtube Chanel where I post my videos on it.
    Running my friction heater in my house - YouTube

Very nice build. This is with many rounded plates from inside as I saw the other vid. What if those non movable plates would be one with those rings so that you're be sure that they're not moving?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Guruji; 10-31-2012, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guruji View Post
      Very nice build. This is with many rounded plates from inside as I saw the other vid. What if those non movable plates would be one with those rings so that you're be sure that they're not moving?
      Thanks for sharing.
      Hi, and thank you

As far as the non moving plates and rings goes they are held down by the lid that has sliding springs on a guide that apply around 50 PSI on the discs and rings and the moving discs are also compressed at the same load so they all stay where they should and nothing bad will happen

I have not shown that part of the heater yet

Comment

When I upgrade the new bearing to stop the noise I will take a fast video of it.
        I am going to install Swiss High Temp Bearing with a speed rating of 16,000 RPM

Comment

Dichronite

If you have Dichronite applied to the bearing, you'll have as close to a friction free bearing as you can get.
          Sincerely,
          Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
          Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
          RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

How does that compare in terms of other ways of heating your home using electricity (electric furnace, heat pump, etc)?

I am just wondering what the efficiency is, here. I can heat my home using $0, burning wood I pick up behind my home, but is it efficient?

Comment

Hi slapstick, looks good.

I sent you a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by velacreations View Post
                How does that compare in terms of other ways of heating your home using electricity (electric furnace, heat pump, etc)?

I am just wondering what the efficiency is, here. I can heat my home using $0, burning wood I pick up behind my home, but is it efficient?
                Yes. What would be good to know is how much electrical power
                is going in and how long it takes to heat a known quantity of water
                from an initial temperature to the final temperature.

Unless you are using peltier chips to convert heat into electricity
                or are generating enough steam to drive a smal turbine, it is hard
                to know how you are going to get electrical power for lighting,
                washing machines etc.

Comment

Would it be possible to produce these friction heating effects with a very small desktop scale model or is a there a limit on how much this could be scaled down? I find the possibility of cavitation generated excess heat fascinating.

Comment

I think the best way to measure it would be to put the thing in a tub of water of known volume and temperature. Run it for one hour (or any set amount of time), and measure the kWh consumption. Then, measure the temperature of the water.

BTU = the amount of energy to raise one pound of water one degree F.

There are 3.3 BTUs per Watt.

So, as you see, it could be fairly easy to see what sort of heat it was producing based on what sort of energy it was consuming.

You would want to run this experiment several times, and then average the values obtained.

Comment

Originally posted by wyndbag View Post
                      Would it be possible to produce these friction heating effects with a very small desktop scale model or is a there a limit on how much this could be scaled down? I find the possibility of cavitation generated excess heat fascinating.
                      You should check out the work of Peter Daysh Davey.

Also, John Worrell Keely was deeply involved with cavitation but not
                      specifically for heating.

Comment

Originally posted by wyndbag View Post
                        Yes it is and I have some of them made up running off of a 12v motor.
                        There is no cavitation in this system.

Comment

Originally posted by velacreations View Post
                          I think the best way to measure it would be to put the thing in a tub of water of known volume and temperature. Run it for one hour (or any set amount of time), and measure the kWh consumption. Then, measure the temperature of the water.

BTU = the amount of energy to raise one pound of water one degree F.

There are 3.3 BTUs per Watt.

So, as you see, it could be fairly easy to see what sort of heat it was producing based on what sort of energy it was consuming.

You would want to run this experiment several times, and then average the values obtained.
                          Yea I will set something up and test it.

Comment

I think the formula actually is.

1KW-H (kilowatt-hour) = 1000 Watt-Hours =3413 BTU
                            Then 1 watt-Hr = 3413 BTU divided by 1000 = 3.413 BTU
                            So... bottom line is 1 watt-hour is equal to 3.413 BTU

Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by rosehillworks; 11-04-2012, 02:15 AM.
                            William Reed

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                              If you have Dichronite applied to the bearing, you'll have as close to a friction free bearing as you can get.
                              Thank you for the tip m8.

Comment

Working...
                              X