Alum conversion for lead acid batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alum conversion for lead acid batteries

I would like to start this thread for sharing experiences (successes and failures) with converting regular lead acid batteries.
    Personally, I have seen both. Failure was likely caused by using very poor battery which wouldn't charge conventionally.

There was a thread which became dormant - http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...-useful-2.html
    Just wondering if anyone have done more tests.

Thanks
    V
    Last edited by blackchisel97; 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM. Reason: link
    'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

I only talked with someone again before a while about it and he gave us again the right Description from the right Alum
    " Alum, KAl(SO4)2.12H2O. The stuff used to keep pickles crisp. "

Molar mass of KAl(SO4)2*12H2O - Chemistry Online Education
    Potassium Alum (KAL(SO4)2.12H2O) - China Potassium Alum (Kal(So4)2.12h2o),Potassium Alum,Aluminium Potassium Sulfate in Inorganic Salt
    Potash Alum (99% / 98% / 92%) - China Potash Alum,Potassium Alum,Potash Alum White Alum in Additive

He had even a good Page where you can order it, but unfortunately i lost it.
    Theorizer are like High Voltage. A lot hot Air with no Power behind but they are the dead of applied Work and Ideas.

Comment

I have converted a couple batteries to alum. These were old batteries and
      were probably too far gone to work. Voltage did increase after conversion.
      Have not tried it with new batteries as John Bedini did. He has said that doing
      it with new batteries have made them last 14 years and they are still working.

I used one as a trade to buy a new battery at Wal Mart. I still have the other
      one which I tried to use as the number 3 "bad battery" for the 3 battery charging system. IT DID NOT WORK, Turion emphasizes that lead acid batteries
      must be used for it to work. Does anyone have information if these type of batteries work with SSG charging ?

George

Comment

Thank you for your feedback Joit & FRC. I also invited mklimesh to repost his data here to avoid hijacking Earth Light thread however, it is related since we started with using alum to protect magnesium in early cells. What I found is alot of confusion regarding alum and the results of people testing vary. I'm just as guilty since I did refer to such as "converting to alkaline battery" - which isn't correct term. Alum is considered a salt and as such cannot be defined as acidic or alkaline per se. Also, there are various alum products available, such as silicates, sodium, potassium,magnesium - epson salt and ammonium. While some will improve poor battery performance, they'll not work alone as a electrolyte replacement. I tried couple; potassium and ammonium (McCormick). Potassium didn't work well but my battery wasn't great either. My other test was with ammonium (ammonium aluminum sulfate) and it was successful. Battery sits (rests) a bit lower than acid filled but it seems to have same (if not better) capacity. I don't have access to West Mountain Radio's Computerized Battery Analyzer and my tests are just simple.
        I designated an old useless battery as a "dump" for acid and returned to recycling center when became full. As Matthiew pointed out once, it isn't acid but led particles in it which aren't suppose to be dumped into environment. Acid can be neutralized and diluted but led will stay in. Other way would be to let it evaporate water and reduce the amount of fluid to be dumped into "recycling" container - dead battery.
        I used 1:8 - 1:10 mixing ratio but John Bedini reported best results with even higher concentration. One more observation; there is no point of trying to convert poor battery. Alum will not remove short cell or heavy sulfation from plates. If pulse charger cannot fix the alum won't do it either.

Thanks
        Vtech
        'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

Alum conversion for lead acid batteries

This is a repost from the Earth Light thread.

In dec 2007 I purchased a new U1P-7 lawn and tractor battery and dumped the acid mix out. I refilled it with a alum solution (McCormick's Ammonium Aluminum Sulfate and distilled water). I charged and discharged it 5 times using 'West Mountain Radio's Computerized Battery Analyzer (CBA)'. It then sat on a shelf untill sept 2009 when I repeated the tests again. It showed a standing voltage of aprox 11.6volts and the discharge curve continued below where it would if it was a lead acid. I took it off the shelf again and am charging it now to run another round of tests. The pics show charts of the 2007 and 2009 tests.

The battery has been charged and is on the CBA discharging.

Mike Klimesh
          Attached Files
          Live to experiment, Experiment to live (+_+)

Comment

Alum Batteries

Vtech,
            Thanks for posting this over here. I have 5 Alum batteries here and can run some charts if you want.
            I have taken the batteries out of cars here. I have one other one that has been sitting outside frozen.
            Is Seamonkey welcome here with his comments?
            John B
            John Bedini
            www.johnbedini.net

Comment

few questions

Thanks for posting mklimesh
              I have couple of questions to compare with my results:
              - did you use baking soda or just distilled water to flush battery?
              - what ratio alum/water did you use?
              - did you notice anything different (from LAB charging) during each charging, such as time, Amp?
              - how low you're taking it down with a load (resting V after discharging)?
              - what is the highest resting voltage after (charging cycle) you're able to get.

Thanks
              Vtech

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

Chucks Alum conversion experience

Originally posted by blackchisel97 View Post
                Thanks for posting mklimesh
                I have couple of questions to compare with my results:
                - did you use baking soda or just distilled water to flush battery?
                - what ratio alum/water did you use?
                - did you notice anything different (from LAB charging) during each charging, such as time, Amp?
                - how low you're taking it down with a load (resting V after discharging)?
                - what is the highest resting voltage after (charging cycle) you're able to get.

Thanks
                Vtech
                Flushing: After acid was drained and battery shaken by hand 5 times. Left it upside down on 5 gal bucket for a few hrs (T105) Shaken more. Then used garden hose to flush for about 20 minutes 3 times (Filled let set 20 minutes, drained 3 times and shaken) Let sit for about 24hrs with caps off to help evaporate. Then mixed 2 cups Alum to 1 gallon of distilled water (HOT) until disolved. Then filled battery with hot solution then charged to 15.4Volts (Bedini charger). This only works if you have a semi decent battery to work with. Heavily sulfated/ shorted batteries are useless to try.
                I have converted 10 batteries. If the battery was realy bad to start it stayed that way. If it was semi decent then it worked well.
                Discharges deeper.
                Charges faster then lead acid
                NO CORROSION ON POST.
                Discharge to 10.5 volts
                Resting voltage after charge: 12.4volts roughly
                John is making a video that will address some of these questions he will post in the next day or so. Hope this helps

Chuck Hupp
                Energenx RnD

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                  Vtech,
                  Thanks for posting this over here. I have 5 Alum batteries here and can run some charts if you want.
                  I have taken the batteries out of cars here. I have one other one that has been sitting outside frozen.
                  Is Seamonkey welcome here with his comments?
                  John B
                  Thank you John for PM and joining. Yes, definitely, if that's not too much trouble for you I would love to see the charts to compare characteristics and I'm very curious about the frozen one. I don't have battery analyzer at my disposal. I believe I'm not the only one successful with pulse charging and rejuvenating effects in batteries and also believe, that this maybe good way to build efficient battery banks, either as a backup or storage (solar) . They can be discharged much deeper as lead acid (similar to deep cycle) without any harm. Also, I didn't notice any sulfation/degradation of plates. What I saw instead was some sort of crystalline formation which may explain the way they behave. I left some of my stuff behind when moved (despite pulling 53" trailer ) and most batteries "didn't catch the bus".
                  I need to call one supplier and find out if their alum is the "right" one. They're in US and have free US shipping (Canada $15). Their price gets better with volume - Alum Powder - Used for Pickling, baking and as a preservative - My Spice Sage

Thanks
                  Vtech

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by chuck H View Post
                    Flushing: After acid was drained and battery shaken by hand 5 times. Left it upside down on 5 gal bucket for a few hrs (T105) Shaken more. Then used garden hose to flush for about 20 minutes 3 times (Filled let set 20 minutes, drained 3 times and shaken) Let sit for about 24hrs with caps off to help evaporate. Then mixed 2 cups Alum to 1 gallon of distilled water (HOT) until dissolved. Then filled battery with hot solution then charged to 15.4Volts (Bedini charger). This only works if you have a semi decent battery to work with. Heavily sulfated/ shorted batteries are useless to try.
                    I have converted 10 batteries. If the battery was really bad to start it stayed that way. If it was semi decent then it worked well.
                    Discharges deeper.
                    Charges faster then lead acid
                    NO CORROSION ON POST.
                    Discharge to 10.5 volts
                    Resting voltage after charge: 12.4volts roughly
                    John is making a video that will address some of these questions he will post in the next day or so. Hope this helps

Chuck Hupp
                    Energenx RnD
                    Thank you Chuck This is very valuable feedback and much appreciated. I also noticed no corrosion on either of posts, faster charging and sitting a bit lower than LAB, which fooled me at first conversion attempt and resulted in wrong conclusion.

Vtech

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

batts

Hello ALL!!

I am intrested in the crystallization of lead acid batts when charged and discharged at the same time (like in JB '84 machine)

Is this a bad thing? how bad? machine won't work affter the battery crystallizes?

and, regarding this thread, Would a alum converted batt crystallizes also when charged and discharged at the same time?

best to all!!

Alvaro H

Comment

It has been posted before -

@alvarohn I think John would be the best person to address your question. The way I see charging and discharging happening at the same time is like shifting from forward to reverse while vehicle is still in motion. It takes a pulse (bunch of electrons) to get ions moving in one direction. They have inertia, which is beneficial since they don't have to be pushed constantly to move (similar to driving DC motor with heavy flywheel by short pulses). Charging and discharging process means the ions moving "right" or "left". What happens when you try to achieve both at the same time? With good timing you can "give back" to the battery while she's disconnected from input but after some time the battery will fail.
                        The proper way would be to use a swapper rotate banks so they're either charged or powering a load but never both at the same time.
                        Again, this is just my opinion on this subject and it may not be 100% correct.

Alum converted batteries form crystalline structure on the plates too but it is different. I didn't allow enough time to compare long term effect in both, acid and alum filled.
                        Thanks
                        V

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

Alum battery conversion

Vtech,
                          I have just about got the video on the Alum battery conversion done will be posting the video tomorrow as I ran out of time today. It is in two parts because it is very long as I go through the loading at different levels so you can see how the battery responds, I also show conventional charging and the rejuvenator charging.
                          John B
                          John Bedini
                          www.johnbedini.net

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                            Vtech,
                            I have just about got the video on the Alum battery conversion done will be posting the video tomorrow as I ran out of time today. It is in two parts because it is very long as I go through the loading at different levels so you can see how the battery responds, I also show conventional charging and the rejuvenator charging.
                            John B
                            Thanks alot John I sent you PM since my mail to you bounced back.

Vtech

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

tnx

Tnx VTech I will read the JB's battery bible.

I hope you are great! I am the same guy that contacted you by youtube

best!

Alvaro H

Comment

Working...
                              X