Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Motor

Hi Guys,

I couldn't find a good place for these videos so I started a thread. If there is a better place than their own thread, tell me and I'll park them there.

Sorry about the crappy videos, but at the time I was determined to use the 'el cheapo' Hawking MPEG4 Camera I had. I have the raw footage on CD and will (someday) try and clear them up a little.

The only intelligent thing I take credit for here was the decision to mount the rotor axis vertically. Since I knew the rotor would turn slowly, in this way, I did not need to statically or dynamically balance the rotor. The orientation of the setup (bottom mounting board and balancing magnet) is pointing North with the balancing magnet being the most 'Northest' ... ha ha.

YouTube Videos:
    radio2a_1.mpg - YouTube

This next one has some radio audio picked up by a crystal radio earpiece. The energy that this earpiece 'robbed' from the coils slightly slowed the rotor's rotation:
    radio23a 1 - YouTube

This last one shows some of the construction details with a bit more clarity:
    radioa4a_1.mpg - YouTube

So, here is one way I have wasted an appreciable block of time. Enjoy,

Greg

Enjoyable videos Greg
    Been building a few crystal sets recently and, the next thing is to put a big galvanized steel plate in our attic. This motor is an ideal project to tie with that and sorta, kinda links to your industrial unit door method (I was thinking more along Tesla's radiant energy collector Patent lol).

I wonder, what are your thoughts on wave traps for this ?
    In one way, you could say that a powerful nearby station is exactly what we want, but in other ways, tuning in weaker stations too may bring more collective power.

Good demo there with the offset Earth field magnet too.

Oh, how many winds on the coil sides ? and what was the gauge ?

Comment

Have you tried a dedicated ground, beside the house ground, I would try this to rule out any tie with the grid.
      Half of the Answer is knowing the right Question

Comment

ground

Originally posted by Dave45 View Post
        Have you tried a dedicated ground, beside the house ground, I would try this to rule out any tie with the grid.
        I did try a dedicated ground to the building's copper plumbing. Admittedly, the rotation was slower. But also interestingly, I also tied the 'ground' wire to my VW Bug's chassis and it also worked. I must have set up a differential and/or resonant EM wave condition that made it work ... probably just the difference in (whatever) characteristics between the Bug's chassis and the roll-up door.

I've also set up a coil on a 12" Dia cardboard tube wrapped with insulated #4 stranded copper wire ... about 20 turns ... and grounded that (again) to just the bug. The coil served as the antenna and there was a simple LED 'blinking' circuit between ground and the other end of the coil and consisting of the usual ... a transistor, an RF air/plate Capacitor and the LED. But considering that the shop door and the building ground 'should' be at the same potential (ground or "0"), the Bug's chassis would really be the antenna and the door the ground. Also, the original setup should NOT have worked, but it did, but maybe it did because the building is wood-framed and there was NO bonding or ground wire going to the roll-up door's metal structure. The building has 3PH power so 5 wires come in ... 3 Hots, a neutral and the ground. I was never able to detect any 'wiggle' between the neutral and ground at any scope gain setting ... pretty solid. No doubt about the radio station being the source because shortly after I made these videos, the station was decommissioned and the motor no longer ran very well at all but it would still run however its performance varied with weather conditions and the hour of the day.

Later

Comment

Tesla and my coils

Hi Slider2732,

I've often entertained the idea of having thousands of differently tuned simple RF receivers with a common rectified output that would pick up 'whatever' as available 'free-surplus' power. That would be cool.

I probably did some of the Tesla stuff (unwittingly). see the above reply to Dave45 regarding using the Bug's chassis.

I have no idea how many turns were on the coils. They were spools of wire right from the surplus store ... sorry.

... and you are right ... if I had 'tuned' the entire motor to the dominant signal, it should have improved its performance.

Thanks for watching the videos and replying,

Greg

Originally posted by Slider2732 View Post
          Enjoyable videos Greg
          Been building a few crystal sets recently and, the next thing is to put a big galvanized steel plate in our attic. This motor is an ideal project to tie with that and sorta, kinda links to your industrial unit door method (I was thinking more along Tesla's radiant energy collector Patent lol).

I wonder, what are your thoughts on wave traps for this ?
          In one way, you could say that a powerful nearby station is exactly what we want, but in other ways, tuning in weaker stations too may bring more collective power.

Good demo there with the offset Earth field magnet too.

Oh, how many winds on the coil sides ? and what was the gauge ?

Comment

characteristics between the Bug's chassis and the roll-up door

Now that's my kind of experimenting
            Wonder what would have happened if the VW had one of those grounding strips running out of the bottom of it.

Within solid state exciter circuits, we often will use big lumps of metal as virtual Grounds. I'm sure the VW could well have acted like a supersized version of that. As you say, the difference and the potential differences are what we use within crystal sets anyway.
            I noted that your motor used what could commonly be called an AV plug with the diodes and that intrigued me. A couple of months back I was able to light a bank of 15 LED's with a related method and have wished to get back to using 'leaked A/C'. In my opinion, if the ground around a building is trickling about with earthed currents, then they are not the stuff we hand over money to the electric companies for.
            It could be argued that the VW battery was supplying the difference to spin the motor, but 1 wire to the chassis is never going to stop that bug from starting up.

When my ceramic magnets arrive, i'm going to try this idea of yours with a Mendocino type 'levitating' rotor. Even now, I have one solar motor running that has been repositioned relative to the Earth magnetic fields and it seems to have picked up by a few RPM's. Who'da thought
            It's perhaps not new in many ways, as you mentioned, at least in principle. But it does have a bunch of relevance to the 21st century and EM pollution levels.

Comment

@ gmeast

Excellent work. Thanks for sharing your results.

Comment

Working...
              X