Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion. Best way to use heat from HHO to generate electricity

Hello,
    I am studying the different aproaches to generate electricity by burning HHO. My aim is to get 3-5kw.

First I would like to know your opinion on this idea in general terms. Is it a good idea to burn HHO to generate electricity.

If so I have been researching alternatives.

Using compresor-turbine. It doesn't seem to be commercial small devices.

The same goes for stirling engines.
    there are plans out there to build sitrling engines but I don't have the skills.

No commercial Tesla turbines either which should be very cheap to manufacture. Are they good at all?

What do you think?
    Last edited by bugler; 02-07-2011, 07:47 PM.

Originally posted by bugler View Post
    Hello,
    I am studying the different aproaches to generate electricity by burning HHO. My aim is to get 3-5kw.

First I would like to know your opinion on this idea in general terms. Is it a good idea to burn HHO to generate electricity.

If so I have been researching alternatives.

Using compresor-turbine. It doesn't seem to be commercial small devices.

The same goes for stirling engines.
    there are plans out there to build sitrling engines but I don't have the skills.

No commercial Tesla turbines either which should be very cheap to manufacture. Are they good at all?

What do you think?
    The Tesla turbines are great and very efficient. Once you have produced an adjustable flame you can make a burner. With that you add some thermo electric modules. You will need a lot of money to get that much energy out of such a device.

You could also use the HHO to power a fuel cell again very costly.

And perhaps you could boil water and make steam to turn a turbine.

-Altrez

Comment

I would say make a heat powered engine.

If you ever run out of HHO you could use it with solar (Fresnel, parabolic mirror) or wood fire, or any other heat-source.

Even if you run out of electrical equipment, you would still have engine power to rotate, shake, drill.. or other mechanical work'. Nothing needed but heat.

I would prefer a Stirling, there is some real progress. Commercial units are pricey, but very very efficient. This guy can charge his cell phone with candles
      YouTube - Small DIY Stirling engine charges cell phone

It seems flexible membranes , make things easier, Steel-wool displacer makes good cylinder replacement and re-generator in one. He has other vids of his engines al well.

You might be able to scale this one up a little, invest if possible in precision and good (magnetic) bearings.

The problem with Stirling engines and Tesla turbines is torque.

Steam would be a better thing for more torque, but it needs water as well.
      Last edited by Cherryman; 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cherryman View Post
        I would say make a heat powered engine.

I would prefer a Stirling, there is some real progress. Commercial units are pricey, but very very efficient.
        How could I make an engine?

I haven't found commercial stirling engines. do you know of a website?

Thanks.

Comment

Awesome, just the other day I was thinking about driving a stirling engine by burning hho... I would be interested in building a homemade stirling engine. I have some plans for a simple one out of an old Make magazine but I don't know if it is very good. I will dig it out.

Comment

Originally posted by wolf234
            Parabolic mirror is a good idea to HHO gas I have tried several ways to produce a well-cleaned plate vyvyjača a small stream with periodic polarty exchanged for 15 days boards are cleaned and more space. HHO can be blended into propane and butane to raise his energy level that showed the way Mike Tutanka and it seems to me also very interesting
            I don't understand. Parabolic mirror sounds like an alternative to HHO.
            Can you post info on Mike Tutanka?

Thanks.

Comment

How could I make an engine?

I haven't found commercial stirling engines. do you know of a website?

Thanks.
              There arent many.

This company sell a ready made solution, but expensive:

WhisperGenTM heat and power systems

To Build it yourself i do not know, best thing to do is to follow some free you-tube tutorial, some research, as there are about 4 main different kinds of Stirling engines, (Alpha, beta, gamma, And Y , not sure) I have no clue what configuration would be best. build a small one to get a taste of the concept, then decide if you think its possible.

There are some tuts around, at the end of this one you see some pics of the parts, very simple:

YouTube - Soda can Stirling engine - 860 rpm

It would be a fun project, but to get actual work done, the tolerances and friction should be minimized.

Comment

Most conversion devices have low efficiencies, if the goal is to get a good working device
                You would have to do some extraordinary development
                This idea of hoh to heat made me think of the stove top circulation fans that employ the seebeck effect
                Good luck
                Thermoelectric generator | Ask.com Encyclopedia

Comment

You can buy them here:

Gyroscope.com - gyroscopes, educational toys and gadgets

And you can also buy Tesla Turbines

Gyroscope.com - gyroscopes, educational toys and gadgets

They have a great website.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroMassInertia View Post
                    Most conversion devices have low efficiencies, if the goal is to get a good working device
                    You would have to do some extraordinary development
                    This idea of hoh to heat made me think of the stove top circulation fans that employ the seebeck effect
                    Good luck
                    Thermoelectric generator | Ask.com Encyclopedia
                    Then you will like this one too :

YouTube - Thermoelectric Generator TEG Power Brick

And here a stirling version,

YouTube - Stirling engine woodstove fan test

Comment

Hi guys,

I looked to all the info but everything is too small.

The peltier (thermoelectric) is very expensive and gives low power.

The stirling engines for sale are toys.

It seems there is nothing serious out there.

Either there is no way to make small scale of a power plant or the powers won't allow it.

Comment

Hi guys,

I looked to all the info but everything is too small.

The peltier (thermoelectric) is very expensive and gives low power.

The stirling engines for sale are toys.

It seems there is nothing serious out there.

Either there is no way to make small scale of a power plant or the powers won't allow it.
                        Of course there is a way. Its just going to take hard work and money. there is no one stopping you at all. You just have to copy a simple design and then scale it up to your needs.

I would say At least 5k in parts and then labor if you have someone else do it. Or you could convert a 5kwatt propane generator to run on HHO and that can be done for under 2 grand.

-Altrez

Comment

HHO takes so much energy to produce, you'd be far better to just save the energy. I've been playing with it for about 4 years. If you have property and a lot of refuse organic material, make methane in a digestor and burn methane/HHO mixed in a genset. I've been experimenting with this. If you have a lot of solar, and that is why you "have HHO" (for example you have a full battery bank and now you have extra electricity) you'll want to look into seperation. Toss the O2, keep the H2. HHO is not storable. Separtive generators are vaialble and can be made, but make for D-sure there is no O2 left before you store, have it lab tested several times before attempting any pressurization and when you do pressurize it, stay below 7 psi, that way if there is any O2 left, your still safe. Have all pressurized gases in a vented bunker well away from living quarters. It takes an unbelievable volume of gas at 7 psi to make the equivalent one single 60lb propane tank, so it's dependant upon getting free serviceable propane tanks. HHO, from my experience is only good for 3 things: 1. improving mileage especially in a diesel motor 2. spot glazing pottery 3. cutting steel. It's pretty obvious why it hasn't been around much for a hundred years, it's not very practical and costs many many amps to produce. If high voltage production ala Stan Meyers comes along, that'd be another thing I am talking brute force here.

Good luck!
                          ----------------------------------------------------
                          Alberta is under attack... http://rethinkalberta.com/

Has anyone seen my Bedini Ceiling Fan that pushes the warm air down, and charges batteries as an added bonus? Me neither. 'Bout time I made one!!!!! :P

Comment

Practical HHO with common components

hey bugler,
                            practical HHO is quite simple, I have done this but have moved on to better things.

Don't waste your time and energy with electrolysis, the resistance of the Stainless Steel cells will cost you in energy expense. I had posted a link to the Treatsie on Electricity and Magnetism but most folks are comfotable with the speculations of mainstream knowledge.

Obtain a Water Atomizer, they are cheap and everywhere. These are piezoelectric transducers that will atomize large volume of water with economical energy expense.

Obtain a small generator to learn on, you can get a 6 kw/hr electric start Champion genset from costco for $500 or so. Swap out the spark plug, put on a Diamond/Splitfire or high performance spark plug from autopart store.

Construct a chamber to house your Atomizer, with small fan to evacuate fog into air intake. Many ways to skin this cat, easy duck soup. Obtain some crystalline zinc oxide or nano crystals is super good and put it in wettable envelope, like PEM cells. It will liberate water with piezoelectrochemical effect. You can also try chemalloy like alloys such a Zamak powder etc.

Start engine with regular gasoline, then switch over to water injecion. It will run good and you can improve upon it. This is the same thing that Daniel Dingle was doing. If you can make plasma spark plug, that will work much better.

Hydrogen can be liberated from water very easily with milliamps of current at the right resonance.

Get this running and you'll get 5kw electricity for under $1k and the cost of maintenance.

Comment

fogger source

oops, the atomizer is commonly called pond fogger etc, some have several cells and puts out several lpm and cost $100 on ebay etc.

An electrolysis cell to produce hydrogen from water will always consume more energy than you would get by burning the hydrogen. The zinc crystals vibrates upon ultrasonic vibration generating it's own electricity and aiding in splitting of water into hydrogen and oxygen. This makes the gas mixture richly combustible and the atomize water will keep your generator running cooler with greater power generation. This can also be ported for motive use.
                              Last edited by powerme; 02-10-2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X