Need a scope for bedini motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a scope for bedini motor

Hi guys I have a bedini monopole motor im trying to fine tune and have been looking at scopes but to be honest im not really sure what I need as far as specs go. I found this really nice looking new scope for cheap but it says it only accepts 300V spikes max.
    I want to be able to tune my scope see the H wave and to measure the high energy spikes. Do you think this scope will be good enough?

PDS5022S 25Mhz Color LCD Scope + Accessories ($267.00) : Saelig Online Store

I know its not a Tektronic but at that price and with a 3 year warranty and all the extra features it sure looks like a good deal. Tell me what you think and if its not adequate please tell me what scopes I should be looking for thanx!

That scopes to slow you'll regret it later if advance to other things.
    If you wanna get a good start buy a Nano.

It has everything and is 200 mhz. Thats eight time faster than the one you looking at.

They also have a quad version, with 4 probes.

Cheers
    Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
      That scopes to slow you'll regret it later if advance to other things.
      If you wanna get a good start buy a Nano.

It has everything and is 200 mhz. Thats eight time faster than the one you looking at.

They also have a quad version, with 4 probes.

Cheers
      Matt
      Really! I was looking at that earlier but I thought it was only single probe and I read some negative reviews. I like that it's small portable and has a color screen. Will that scope really do all I need for these kinds of motors? If so it much cheaper than the other one and I would defiantly be interested. What are pros and cons of that nano ?

Comment

I bought two scopes for under fifty bucks at a state auction cash and carry. There was no guarantee but hey had to try them for that. Both work fine . They are older but are plenty good for learning models. I also bought three variacs for fourteen bucks and they all work fine. I know some folks here are not in the States but perhaps there are surplus houses or auctions of government surplus where you are form . Just a thought.

al

Comment

Ok so looking at the nano quad prob it looks really nice but then it says 80 volts max wont I blow this thing on my first try? I know I'm getting at least 200 volt spikes off my motor.

Comment

I'm in California how do you find out where the auctions are?

Comment

Na you won't blow it. You might need a 10x probe for it so you can see your spikes but they won't hurt it. Not off monopole anyway.

The advantage of it is it does all the math like the big scopes. If you buy something old your limited in what you can read.

Buy whatever makes you comfortable just try to buy something above 100mhz you won't regret it in the future.

Matt

Comment

Thanx you were really helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by splocal View Post
                  Ok so looking at the nano quad prob it looks really nice but then it says 80 volts max wont I blow this thing on my first try? I know I'm getting at least 200 volt spikes off my motor.
                  I'm not sure of the difference between yours and the SG
                  but the SG can send out voltages in four figures.

You could set up a resistance box so you can dial in some
                  pretty big resistors.

Comment

Hi all, If you have a battery connected to the output and a neon between the collector and emitter/ground the spikes will be restricted to 80 volts or so.

I would not even run an SSG without a battery and I would definately not try to measure the spike without a load.

With my SSG if I disconnect the charge battery with no neon the transitor is fried instantly.

Even with a battery and neon you may see spikes up to 80 volts because of the resistance of the diode or a very sulfated battery.

Without any load at all and no neon the spikes will be very high in amplitude because of infinate resistance, but that won't tell you much info just that there is no load.

The idea is if the battery cannot absorb the spike because it is too resistive(sulfated) the neon will ground anything over 80 volts.

Use a neon and a load/charge battery with a 10 x probe and any scope that can measure 80 volts scope will be fine .

I have had no problems with my Nano scope measuring the output of my devices up to hundreds of volts.

If the scope can handle 80 volts peak to peak with a 1 x probe then it can handle 800v peak to peak with a 10 x probe, as far as I know but I'm no expert maybe an expert gould give a definate answer if there is one around.

Use 10 x probe and set scope to 10 volts per division no probs. Use DC input setting too.

It's all in the probe resistance, with a 100 x probe you can measure 1000's of volts.

Cheers
                    Last edited by Farmhand; 08-18-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by splocal View Post
                      Hi guys I have a bedini monopole motor im trying to fine tune and have been looking at scopes
                      I have heard favourable comments about Hantek USB devices:
                      Products List_Hatek Electronic co.,Ltd._http://www.hantek.com.cn

Comment

Working...
                      X