No announcement yet.

...Everlast charger... ( Bedini )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by N O G; 11-15-2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: .................

Comment

Will Do.

Thanks Jason,
      I'll make that modification, finish up the circuit and post some pics after I get it running.
      Stephen
      Potential, is a terrible thing to waste.

Comment

First try - Getting familiar.

Hi Jason,
        First off let me say there are several thing about this build that are "not to spec". So any observations I make below, need to be understood in that context. I just had to try with what I had.
        The coil has only 4 litzed conductors of #20 wire at somewhere between 100 and 125 feet. I'm using 2 MJL21194s and a 1/2 watt 1k bundle of resistors.
        I'm using a 35 volt cap and an iron core. The magnet on top is just so I can hear the speed at which the is coil oscillating. I will try winding a coil to spec as soon as it stops raining. I'm having trouble getting any ferrite rods in this country. I'll have to send away to Eastern Europe for these.

So, with all that in mind let me tell you what i've observed and what I still don't understand.
        First off, this method of triggering puts out the prettiest "h wave" i've experienced on a solid state machine. It look almost like a magnetically triggered "h wave". It shoots up a nice negative spike and seems to work within a wide range of input voltages, as you stated.
        I added the 10k pot and the two clip leads. The first thing I noticed was that the oscillation wouldn't start until I "touched" the pot on the motor control. I was acting as the ground. So I grounded the pot. After that the oscillations started with the flip of a switch as long as I was within a certain tolerance setting.
        The charge battery charged nice and smooth, quickly, but the 35 volt cap kept from spiking the battery too hard. I've found that if you charge too hard (say a 90 volt cap) you can kill a small battery.
        As you can see from the oscilloscope 500 hz at 8 volts and down to about 150 hz at 24 volts was about the range. Is this how it works for you?

So here's the question. How do you tune for resonance. Tuning between the 2 pots and the cap is not something I was able to intuitively do.
        The base pot would cut the oscillations at the low end and at the high end. The motor controller pot seemed to be able to speed the circuit as I put larger caps in place. However, in some settings the cap didn't make any difference. In or out the circuit still oscillated. Tell me how you understand the pots and cap to work together.
        The oscillations seem to have more to do with the transistors and their base resistance than the motor control. This may just be my ignorance or it maybe the way I've put the build together.
        Let me know how you go about this tuning business. Or if I you think this setup is even tunable and I need to get it more to spec.
        Whatever your answer I have had fun putting it together and look forward to more adventures.
        Thanks!
        Stephen
        Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by N O G; 11-15-2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: ..................

Comment

Insight!

Originally posted by N O G View Post
            The circuit is ALWAYS in resonance when running and the base resistances adjusts the frequency of that resonance.

Try and keep your tuning pot on the base inbetween the resistor bunch and the branch resistors other wize you might burn it out . The resistor bunch takes the first hit of current to the base.

Having a magnet on the core will interfere with its opperation , use a small AM radio if you need a reference.
            Jason,
            Thanks for the great feedback. I will be exploring another coil that more closely matches your specs as soon it stops raining long enough so that I can get outside and pull some wire to wind it.

Your first quote is an insight to me.
            If the circuit is running, it is within it's resonant range of operation.
            Through observation I can see that range is fairly small. The circuit will definitely stop functioning if the resistor tolerances are out of the coils range of operation. When my coil is nearing "out of range" it starts to squeal and the oscillations get very jittery, confirming your statement above.
            Thanks for clearing that up.

I will definitely move the base pot beyond the resistor bundle.

Again, thanks for all your help.
            Keep me updated.
            I'll let you know as soon as I get the next build up and running.
            Stephen

Comment

Last edited by N O G; 11-15-2011, 02:27 PM. Reason: ...............

Comment

The Big Dog.

Hi Jason,
                Are those the TIP 35c transistors?
                Please let us know after you've put it through it's paces.
                I'm assuming the size is starting to approach an "off grid" level of charging capability.
                Are all the parameters the same as far as wire length for the coil wind?
                Thanks for the post.
                Sincerely
                Stephen

Comment

Last edited by N O G; 11-15-2011, 02:28 PM. Reason: ...................

Comment

Hi Jason,
                    what a hairy setup.LOL
                    Your wires are not twisted, are they?

Comment

Originally posted by N O G View Post
                      Hi there everyone,
                      Here's the latest charger ive built , haven't got all the parts i need yet but its running at the moment. I need to do some testing to see what its capable of. cheers Jason
                      love ya J , looking forward to meeting soon

Comment

Last edited by N O G; 11-15-2011, 02:28 PM. Reason: .................

Comment

Last edited by N O G; 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM. Reason: ...............

Comment

air-cored

do you think its fine to use your circuit on an air-cored coil?

Comment

Last edited by N O G; 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM. Reason: .................

Comment

Dear NOG

Do you use CAP pulser in your system?

If youe what the CAP do you use , the Voltage for pulsation and the time for discharge?

Comment

Working...
                                X