Bedini Earth Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragon View Post
    Ibpointless2, What kind of current are you seeing with the water cell? The voltage could be dealt with but the current would be important for powering small items.

The current comes from the size of the plates, but the current is small (below a mili-amp) But just like a battery they can be put in parallel to get a higher amps. Also radiant temperatures will also affect it too, so your cells power will be different than mine unless we use them in the same temps.

The important thing is that this should not happen because no galvanic reaction can occur with similar metals and thus no electricity. Since it is happening is something to study and the fact that they share many characteristics as Bedini earth cells. They're also strong enough to charge a capacitor, or even a super capacitor too.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

I just did a quick experiment with 2 graphite plates, one was 3" x 3" and the other was 1" x 3". I was getting .04 volts at .05ma. The voltage was really low but present. If the voltage potential between the two are based on the difference of area ( one large one small ) and the current based on total area it would take a fairly large cell to produce a volt at 1ma.

Next test.. I'm going to dig up a couple aluminum pans, one large one filled with water and one smaller one floating to see if I can come up with a comparison to size for voltage potentials and/or current increases.... if it works...

Edit: The pie pans showed a little more voltage but the current was non existent - nothing my meter would read set on 2m. The graphite plate ( 3x3 ) with stand offs and submerged produced .5 volt at .08ma between the pan and graphite. Interesting stuff....

If the magnesium and graphite is forming a thermocouple and we could control the galvanic action to increase longevity that would be the ticket. I have a small graphite rod ( 1" diameter and 4" long ) which lasted 4 days but eventually it created breaks in the magnesium and wouldn't work. ( Just water - no salt or other solution ). It ran bright right up to failure.
      ________
      WENDIE 99
      Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I just did a quick experiment with 2 graphite plates, one was 3" x 3" and the other was 1" x 3". I was getting .04 volts at .05ma. The voltage was really low but present. If the voltage potential between the two are based on the difference of area ( one large one small ) and the current based on total area it would take a fairly large cell to produce a volt at 1ma.

Next test.. I'm going to dig up a couple aluminum pans, one large one filled with water and one smaller one floating to see if I can come up with a comparison to size for voltage potentials and/or current increases.... if it works...

Edit: The pie pans showed a little more voltage but the current was non existent - nothing my meter would read set on 2m. The graphite plate ( 3x3 ) with stand offs and submerged produced .5 volt at .08ma between the pan and graphite. Interesting stuff....

If the magnesium and graphite is forming a thermocouple and we could control the galvanic action to increase longevity that would be the ticket. I have a small graphite rod ( 1" diameter and 4" long ) which lasted 4 days but eventually it created breaks in the magnesium and wouldn't work. ( Just water - no salt or other solution ). It ran bright right up to failure.

The graphite experiment sounds interesting indeed. The aluminum can be tricky, i’ve filled a bath tub up with water and used a 4 foot roll of aluminum foil and that gave me the same voltage as my smaller designs. To get more voltage out of the aluminum plates you need to increase the heat of the water, try boiling water.

Where do you get your graphite rods?
        All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Using hot water seems to be self defeating, the energy you put into the water far exceeds anything you might get out. However, if you could use the evaporation of water to create a temperature difference to boost output there may be some promise there.

I purchased a huge chunk of graphite a long time ago on ebay to make pistons for small stirling engines. I cut a thin slab from it to do the experiment.
          ________
          MERCEDES-BENZ R107 HISTORY
          Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 11:22 AM.

Comment

NVM, offtopic.
            Last edited by Freezer; 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Continuing on the graphite slab to see if there was anything out of the ordinary and to determine if there was a thermocoupling effect I put a steel sheet over the graphite with a dry tissue between them. Measuring the voltage I read .190. Not a lot but interesting - humidity in the house is around 24% so there isn't much moisture in the tissue. Heating the graphite with a lighter the voltage dropped like a rock. The voltage slowly returned as it cooled. Heating the steel the voltage went up to around .29. Using an ice cube tray on the graphite side the voltage rose to over .4 volts. Current remained very low through all the tests but did show the current would rise and lower with various temperature changes.

My graphite/magnesium cell ran very cold which is most likely caused by the fast evaporation in a low humidity area. But it does show there is a thermal action taking place that may be enhancing the cell. The colder you get the graphite the better the output. Quite interesting....
              ________
              Weed Vaporizers
              Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Continuing on the graphite slab to see if there was anything out of the ordinary and to determine if there was a thermocoupling effect I put a steel sheet over the graphite with a dry tissue between them. Measuring the voltage I read .190. Not a lot but interesting - humidity in the house is around 24% so there isn't much moisture in the tissue. Heating the graphite with a lighter the voltage dropped like a rock. The voltage slowly returned as it cooled. Heating the steel the voltage went up to around .29. Using an ice cube tray on the graphite side the voltage rose to over .4 volts. Current remained very low through all the tests but did show the current would rise and lower with various temperature changes.

My graphite/magnesium cell ran very cold which is most likely caused by the fast evaporation in a low humidity area. But it does show there is a thermal action taking place that may be enhancing the cell. The colder you get the graphite the better the output. Quite interesting....

That is very interesting indeed. It also shows that different metals are affected by different heat. Your graphite will increase in voltage with cold and my aluminum plates will increase in voltage when heat is applied. Does using graphite only instead of steel also work?

Are you using tap water or distilled water?

Comment

Unfortunately, I was using tap water and the magnesium eventually failed. I plan to wind another one on the same core and use distilled water in the next experiment.

I had 2 of them side by side as a test of longivity - one with tap water and one with salt water solution. They both ran 4 days although the salted one started loosing power on the third day and looked pretty bad - on the 4th day it was barely lighting the LED where the water cell was very bright right up to failure. It still looked reasonably well on the outside, very corroded on the inside.

The next one will be with distilled water to make a comparison.

A while back I experimented with 1 inch lengths of magnesium strip with a sheet steel cut to a width of slightly wider than the magnesium and about 1.5 inches long. Bent the metal in half and covered the mag strip with a paper towel. These would run a Basic JT circuit for 17 hours before failure. At a cost of a penny a piece. Great for quickie power supplies. Most of them would do 5-15 ma in water or up to 50ma in salt solutions. Below is a pic of how small they are...
                  ________
                  Love Advice Forum
                  Last edited by dragon; 07-20-2011, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                    Freezer, I'm Going to post everything I find out about this cell on some pages you can go to as soon as I have some free time. if lidmotor wants to post the diagram it's ok with me.I'm out of space here on the group. If Lasersaber would join in on this discussion it would be very helpful as we build these circuits as he has been running little motors for days with these type devices. I'm not here to disprove anything he did but to find out what the failures are going to be with different materials.
                    John B
                    John B,
                    Lid must be busy now. I haven't seen him post or put up a youtube in a while. email it to me and I'll post it. my email is the same as my youtube is the same as my yahoo.
                    min2oly@yahoo.com

Patrick

Comment

Earth Lights

I will be posting more tonight, just must wait for youtube to load.
                      I guess we all get busy from time to time.
                      John B
                      John Bedini
                      www.johnbedini.net

Comment

Earth Lights 5

Earth Lights 5
                        YouTube - Earth Lights 5
                        In this video I show how to hookup a second transistor in the base circuit to shut off the earth light during the day. Also I will show you a simple earth cell and what I found to use to enhance power level of these cells.

What I found can be bought in a grocery store in the spice section, it's called Alum. You only need a little bit added to water and it does not seem to eat the magnesium away. You might try this for the aluminum cell and see what happens to the voltage and current.
                        Alum Alum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you really think about all this it does not take much current to run these lights and you will find all kinds of thing that will work. AM radio chips, Low power Amplifiers. You can even listen to the earth waves as they do produce a sound of it's own once you filter the AC from the power company out.
                        I cant go into what else you can hear you must explore that for yourself.

Something you might read and it works. Sepp Hasslberger: How to convert a Lead Acid Battery into an Alkaline Battery

John B
                        Last edited by John_Bedini; 02-10-2011, 04:12 AM.
                        John Bedini
                        www.johnbedini.net

Comment

Earth Lights 5
                          YouTube - Earth Lights 5
                          In this video I show how to hookup a second transistor in the base circuit to shut off the earth light during the day. Also I will show you a simple earth cell and what I found to use to enhance power level of these cells.

What I found can be bought in a grocery store in the spice section, it's called Alum. You only need a little bit added to water and it does not seem to eat the magnesium away. You might try this for the aluminum cell and see what happens to the voltage and current.

If you really think about all this it does not take much current to run these lights and you will find all kinds of thing that will work. AM radio chips, Low power Amplifiers. You can even listen to the earth waves as they do produce a sound of it's own once you filter the AC from the power company out.

Something you might read and it works. Sepp Hasslberger: How to convert a Lead Acid Battery into an Alkaline Battery

John B
                          Thanks for the video John, I'm sure this will inspire good things.. Listening to the ground waves sounds intruiging..I guessing Stubblefield probably did the same.

Comment

Earth Lights 5
                            YouTube - Earth Lights 5

John B
                            John B. one of my early introductions to your work was a video of you converting a battery to alum. it was a long while back and it may still be on google video's somewhere. But you had incredible success with it. I beleive it was rick that you were showing it to at the time. I always wondered why you didn't pursure it further.

Comment

Hi All
                              Well I'm really impressed with this 'battery'. I have an approx 12" x 1/2" carbon welding rod that came in a clear plastic container with end caps. Wrapped rods with 2 layers of fine silk (like wedding dresses are made of) and wrapped with magnesium. Drilled hole at one end and soldered in a copper wire. All wetted and back in packaging. Getting 1.3V and 125ma. Well good. Just need to build circuit.

Thanks John B
                              http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2589...8-pm-437k?da=y
                              http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2589...9-pm-375k?da=y
                              http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2589...9-pm-348k?da=y

Regards
                              John

Comment

New circuit and Alum shopping

@John B.
                                Thanks for the video with the complete circuit. I hesitated posting the one that I made for fear that it was incorrect. It is the same as yours except for the auto on/off solar cell part with the extra transistor. When I made my coil I used a small hollow plastic tube for the form. I didn't have the welding rod so I used a piece of wire coat hanger as the solid core and made the bifilar coil tunable by moving that piece in and out.
                                This whole project is facinating because of all the twists and turns it is taking.

I am heading out now to get some Alum. I really hope that this will slow down the Mg consumption. I did find Mg rods a little cheaper. They use them in RV water heaters to stop corrosion. The cheapest that I could find them was about $10 for a 1/2" X 9". There is a brass end fitting and a wire that runs down the inside of the casting.

Suburban Water Heater Anode Rod Magnesium 2 PK #232767 - eBay (item 130467164847 end time Feb-17-11 00:02:48 PST)

Cheer,

Lidmotor
                                Last edited by Lidmotor; 02-10-2011, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X