r-charge / bedini - solar power charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r-charge / bedini - solar power charger

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with the solar power charger from r-charge?

Renaissance Charge LLC Testimonials RC-2A12

They have 10, 20 and 30 amp models for controlling/charging batteries from solar panels. Even at 30 amps thats only going to be 360 watts at 12 volts. This does not seem like something that could be used to power a home becasue thats not enough power. Does it produce more more power than it recieves via the solar panels? Can it be used in a manner like the 10 pole energizer or the simplified school girl motor - using batteries to charge other batteries?

I send an email to r-charge but they have not responded. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. thanks.

I just got my Tesla Power Amplifier 30A model a couple days ago. It's actually 720 Watts input. 24V x 30A.

They plan on coming out with a 150A model later if you want to use it to power a house.

Haven't been able to do much with it at the moment due to time limitations.

A little disappointed that there was no instruction manual included. Thought the first instruction on the front panel is to refer to the instruction manual.

Comment

Controllers

For the cost of them, not to mention the lead time, I'll stick with the good ole' reliable Xantrex controllers for 147.00 for 60 amp use ( C60). I've looked at the MPPT controllers which are quite nice in how they work but I doubt you'll ever see a payback from using them. The few watts you loose in conventional controllers far exceeds the cost of recovering those small losses.

Another nice feature of the Xantrex controllers is they can be used for wind as well as solar as they can be configured for a basic controller (solar), diversion controller(wind) and a load controller which allows you to use a load based on battery voltage. Inexpensive and versitile.

For that price it should double your input to make it worth while. I've run my house on wind and solar for 10years now and wouldn't go back for nothing... I don't run any of my 220v stuff at this point ( washer, drier, stove etc ) which is still on the grid but when the grid goes down I don't have to worry about rushing out and firing up the genny for basic needs.
      ________
      Squirell
      Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Hello Dragon

Does your Xantrex controller use pulse width technology? And if not what is the life span on your batteries?

Thanks,
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by SilverToGold View Post
          I just got my Tesla Power Amplifier 30A model a couple days ago. It's actually 720 Watts input. 24V x 30A.

They plan on coming out with a 150A model later if you want to use it to power a house.

Haven't been able to do much with it at the moment due to time limitations.

A little disappointed that there was no instruction manual included. Thought the first instruction on the front panel is to refer to the instruction manual.
          Thanks for posting.

I'm very much looking forward to how it works. Based on the photo of the product online, it says 12/24 volts in and 12/24 volts out. So I wonder if you can use a battery to power the device on the input and see if it can charge more batteries on the output like an SSG. Please keep us informed of anything you learn about this product!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Hello Dragon

Does your Xantrex controller use pulse width technology? And if not what is the life span on your batteries?

Thanks,
            Mark
            Yes,I believe it does. It's been years since I've looked at the manual, you could check the manuals on line to be sure. I just changed out my battery bank which had 8 years on it although they were still working well I thought it might be better to have a fresh pack as I didn't know where the economy is going. I gave them to my neighbor who has the bank still in service on his system and so far their doing fine. The batteries are the standard T105 Trojans, the same as used in golf carts. I suspect 10 years life on them would be reasonable if cared for. The Xantrex also has a manual equalize mode that brings them up to 15.5 volts for 1 hour to desulfate the plates, I do this every 30 days to keep them healthy. Other than basic maintenance on the batteries it's pretty much self contained.
            ________
            Krissy
            Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Well, here are some pictures for you guys of the new Tesla Solar Charger.

I had to take a peek inside... and included a picture for you guys if you're interested.

Will test when I have some time.
              Last edited by SilverToGold; 07-07-2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverToGold View Post
                Well, here are some pictures for you guys of the new Tesla Solar Charger.

I had to take a peek inside... and included a picture for you guys if you're interested.

Will test when I have some time.
                Looks like a fairly large machine for only 720 watts. Its different than the machine they show on their website at r-charge.com. The name is interesting..."Tesla Power Amplifier". They are choosing not to call it a charge controller but an amplifier instead. I wonder why?

Comment

a little off topic

I too am on a quest for a solar control system...

I have found the Ghurd LVD/Dump circuit interesting and a lot of good reviews from buyers... $12.95 plus shipping
                  ghurd - Hurd Solar Renewable Energy | Dump Controllers
                  *The only downside is that the P-fet is now obsolete- NOT sure what can replace the ZM33064? ANY IDEAS?
                  reviews- check fieldline.com
                  here is a link for a search I did there
                  Set Search Parameters

here is another option
                  Linear Current Booster as a possible project for someone (Ghurd)?

OR these are on Fleebay
                  LM2596 DC Converter Adjustable Power Module Regulator - eBay (item 320559004290 end time Aug-07-10 07:25:05 PDT)
                  $10 shipped!
                  This company also has other similar
                  10~32V to 35~60V DC Converter Power Voltage Regulator - eBay (item 320571235238 end time Sep-03-10 17:50:02 PDT)

10~32V to 35~60V DC Converter Power Voltage Regulator - eBay (item 320571235238 end time Sep-03-10 17:50:02 PDT)

Comment

Two small questions to keep in mind-

Do any of these other charge controllers charge in seriously low light?

If JB's charger is charging in the moonlight, what is it doing w/ full sunlight?

You can setup a small joule thief circuit to verify this for yourself w/ a small solar cell.

Comment

@Silvertogo

Look the complete circuit is sumerged in resin, whatever I've ever insisted there are some tricks hidden in all Bedini technology.
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs. Apple CEO

Comment

Unfortunately I heard on a test of the solar charger that the implied possible OU does not now exist in the units being shipped. Either the PTB got to Bedini and forced them to limit it or it never had the capability so IMO it's just a solar charge controller on the high end of things price wise.
                        There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

Sad to hear.

Originally posted by ewizard View Post
                          Unfortunately I heard on a test of the solar charger that the implied possible OU does not now exist in the units being shipped. Either the PTB got to Bedini and forced them to limit it or it never had the capability so IMO it's just a solar charge controller on the high end of things price wise.
                          I know how much you love Bedini circuits..

I was hoping this device was as was shown in the video by Bedini.

Still, look forward to seeing others results.
                          See my experiments here...
                          http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

On the Solar Panel now guys charging a dead lead acid battery, filmed a research report and will have it up ASAP after results are in.

Ash
                            Last edited by ashtweth; 08-08-2010, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ashtweth View Post
                              On the Solar Panel now guys charging a dead lead acid battery, filmed a research report and will have it up ASAP after results are in.

Ash
                              Can you test it on a good battery too? Because I think people want to use it on good battery. People do not buy it as battery reviver?

Comment

Working...
                              X