• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron
    replied
    Tesla Solar Tracker 5 Considerations

Originally posted by tgraca View Post
    Hey Aaron,

I have a TeslaCharger 2A12 and refurbished 2 Deka Marine Master - Model DC24 - 140 AH batteries. I want to use them to power my office, which uses just 62 to 90 watts continuously 24/7.

The problem is that one can power my inverter for about 2-3 hours and both may power it for twice that long, but I need at least 14 hours of operation. I notice that if I disconnect a battery, it will charge up again.

I am thinking that I need some kind of differential switch circuit that will use one battery for about an hour, then switch to the other while the other recovers, then switch again.

Here was the test I ran: One battery was holding a charge of 12.69V, I ran my office for 90 minutes (approx. 63 watts continuous during the test), then I shut everything down and let the battery recover. The battery was running down about 0.01 V per minute during operation, but recovered to 12.54 V after 90 minutes disconnected. The voltage ramped up quickly, then slower as time passed. After 3.5 hours it came back up to 12.59 volts standing and held for there for over 24 hours, which is where it is at now.

Can you recommend some kind of circuit I can buy or build to switch batteries occasionally to let one recover while the other is in use? I am thinking this would be some kind of voltage differential relay. Or... can you suggest some other solution?

Once I get this working, I would like to get the Solar Tracker S3A12 to use with 1-3 of my 15-watt solar panels. Let me know if you think it could be done with just 1, 2 or all 3. These panels produce about 23.5V 6 hours per day, and as little as 12V and 70mA (each) just before sunrise and sunset. I'm in Luray, VA and we have 14 hours of daylight in the summer and as little as 10-11 hours during the winter.

Your input is appreciated.

Teo Graca
    Hi Teo,

The batteries you have are perfectly sized for your demand to keep within the C20 rate of the deep cycle battery - using one at a time so that is good news. If both batteries are in the same shape, then you could parallel them to draw that load at a C40 rate and that would hardly be touching them.

If one powers your inverter while drawing up to 90 watts for only 2-3 hours before going off, then it sounds like the batteries actually need some more rejuvenation.

A 140ah battery - take 140/20=7amp load - meaning you should be able to draw a 7 amp load from one of those batteries for 20 hours straight from full charge down to about 10.5 volts. If you're not getting that, then they definitely need more rejuvenation. The 2A12 can do a pretty good job but that size of battery is getting a bit big for that charger.

When you power a load and turn it off and the battery recovers itself, it does mostly in voltage but with much less recovery and there is sulphation associated with it. It really isn't good for the battery to let it recover on its own then use the recovered capacity. Once it is taken down to 10.5 volts for the deep cycle battery, it is best to charge it all the way up to 15 volts to fully desuphate it and when turning off the charger, it should come down to a resting voltage of 12.6 or higher.

If we look at the battery rating of 140ah and the C20 draw is 7 amps at around 12 volts - it should power an 84 watt load for 20 hours from full charge down to 10.5.

If it is only for 14 hours a day you're powering your office, then 14 hours x 7 amps = is 1176 watt hours that needs to be replaced to full charge the battery (if you're taking that all from the batteries).

Your worst case scenario is 10 hours of light in the winter. That means 1176/10 = 117.6 watts of solar constant for 10 hours just to charge the battery if you're not taking any load from the panels via the Tesla Solar Tracker 5.

I would use 200 watts of thin film low light amorphous solar panels together with a S20A12 Tesla Solar Tracker 5 with both of your batteries in parallel. Tesla Chargers | Tesla Solar Tracker 5 - Tesla Solar Tracker III is Upgraded!

Even with clouds, you should be able to get about 80% of the voltage in those panels.

With 200 watts worth thru a Tesla Solar Tracker S20A12 to your batteries, you can draw about 80 watts to power your office and it will come from your panels first and the excess 120 watts are available to charge your batteries to the top in the worst case scenario of 10 hours of light per day in the winter. Then when the sun goes down, your batteries are fully charged and you can power that load all night long if you want. Next day when the sun is up, repeat. You'll probably never run out of power and the batteries will be in good shape. With both batteries paralleled, your draw at night of up to 90 watts is only in the C40 draw range, which means you're not touching your batteries very much and with this setup, the batteries will probably last as long as the panels.

Aaron

Leave a comment:

• tgraca
    replied
    Circuit Question

Hey Aaron,

I have a TeslaCharger 2A12 and refurbished 2 Deka Marine Master - Model DC24 - 140 AH batteries. I want to use them to power my office, which uses just 62 to 90 watts continuously 24/7.

The problem is that one can power my inverter for about 2-3 hours and both may power it for twice that long, but I need at least 14 hours of operation. I notice that if I disconnect a battery, it will charge up again.

I am thinking that I need some kind of differential switch circuit that will use one battery for about an hour, then switch to the other while the other recovers, then switch again.

Here was the test I ran: One battery was holding a charge of 12.69V, I ran my office for 90 minutes (approx. 63 watts continuous during the test), then I shut everything down and let the battery recover. The battery was running down about 0.01 V per minute during operation, but recovered to 12.54 V after 90 minutes disconnected. The voltage ramped up quickly, then slower as time passed. After 3.5 hours it came back up to 12.59 volts standing and held for there for over 24 hours, which is where it is at now.

Can you recommend some kind of circuit I can buy or build to switch batteries occasionally to let one recover while the other is in use? I am thinking this would be some kind of voltage differential relay. Or... can you suggest some other solution?

Once I get this working, I would like to get the Solar Tracker S3A12 to use with 1-3 of my 15-watt solar panels. Let me know if you think it could be done with just 1, 2 or all 3. These panels produce about 23.5V 6 hours per day, and as little as 12V and 70mA (each) just before sunrise and sunset. I'm in Luray, VA and we have 14 hours of daylight in the summer and as little as 10-11 hours during the winter.

Your input is appreciated.

Teo Graca

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Live Q & A with Peter Lindemann

Please register for Tesla Chargers Q & A with Peter Lindemann on Tuesday, Mar 4, 2014 5:30 PM PST at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...67684731707138

Peter Lindemann will review some FAQ's and then will take live questions from the audience. This is for any of the wall power or solar chargers from Tesla Chargers | World's Most Efficient, Effective & Advanced Battery Chargers

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    EnergenX Tesla Chargers

New 10A12 charger available: 10A12 Battery Charger & Golf Cart Charger

Also, the Solar Tracker III page has been updated! Solar Tracker III

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    Hello Arron

Do you know when the new Tesla Solar chargers will be available for shipping. I know they can be ordered now but I will not order anything until it is available for shipping.

Thanks, Mark

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Tesla Chargers

Hi Paul,

You can go to Tesla Chargers | World's Most Efficient, Effective & Advanced Battery Chargers and look at the products page.
    We have the new payment buttons up.

Thanks for supporting my book by the way!
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-29-2011, 10:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pasalima
    replied
    Tesla Chargers

Hi Aaron,

I got your book (The Quantum Key) and must commend you on your ability to simplify what is normally presented in a very scientific/technical way. I'm just sorry I didn't come across it years ago, before I started reading about Tesla, Moray, Beardon, Bedini et al.

I'm very interested in the tesla chargers, but notice that the link is disabled for a while ......just wondering if there's any update.

Many thanks,
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    started a topic Tesla Chargers from Energetic Forum

Tesla Chargers from Energetic Forum

John Bedini's EnergenX chargers are available here:

TESLA CHARGERS
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-29-2011, 10:53 PM.
Working...
X