No announcement yet.

Bedini's Kromrey Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No I haven't yet. I've been very busy with work for a while now and haven't had a lot of time to get back into this. Not sure when I will be able to either.
    You can view my vids here

http://www.youtube.com/SJohnM81

Comment

• After watching DVD #10, a couple of years ago, I wanted to replicate the Kromrey converter also. I have had delays with my machine but I am working on it again.

I began by trying to replicate what I saw on the DVD as closely as I could. I had no resources available to manufacture parts for me so I had to build it from parts that I could buy off-of-the-shelf.

Very quickly I found that it would be impossible to replicate what I saw on the DVD because I couldn't see very much. The machine on the DVD was custom built and would need to be replicated the same way. I had been reading this thread so I knew I wasn't the only person trying to make this happen.

Then it dawned on me that I should just design my own machine, that I can actually build, and use the principles of the DVD and patent. I got a friend of mine to do the CAD drawing based on my hand-drawings and then I found a machinist to make the parts.

You can see how far along I am now. I still have to wind the coils but I thought I would at least share what I have done so far. The plans that I have attached are for an eight stack machine. I realized that this didn't allow for a complete alternation of polarity on a full rotation. I had the designer adjust the design to a ten stack machine.

I need to gather a couple of different parts together. I have been able to spin the machine and should have more parts together very soon to make it do something.

Pictures in the next post.

-Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

• Get back to the fun mate!

Originally posted by dambit View Post
        No I haven't yet. I've been very busy with work for a while now and haven't had a lot of time to get back into this. Not sure when I will be able to either.
        Hey Steve,

Hope to see you back experimenting soon mate

I have been working on other Radiant projects and still need to measure out 11 more strands of #18 wire to wind the 4 coils.

I have all the housing made of Acrylic completely machined, including uprights and screw in feet with 20 degree adjustment.

Slip rings complete and just need to decide on what carbon brush design to use out the 2 in competition in my mind

Motor mount is simple mild steel 70x100x70mm channel and then I used my drill press for the 8 holes and then finished with kill rust.

With NONE OF THE PARTS off the shelf and have to be machined the time/cost have started to add up. However, the finished project that I could not buy in a store is all the drive a need to complete over the next few months.

I will upload more pics when I add the coils, brushes and slip rings as a complete unit mate, or I can MMS a few if you like

P.S: Bedini Tech and Ufopolitics Motor controller circuit take up too much of my time and I need more hours in the day.

Regards
        Zero

Comment

• @Zero and Dambit

Have you found that using acrylic makes the machine function better or is it just easier to work with when constructing the machine?

-Chris

Comment

• I was able to put up some pictures on a site I created for the project.

Kromrey Converter Gallery | Kromrey Converter Experiments

Comment

• Visual aid

Originally posted by core2kx View Post
              @Zero and Dambit

Have you found that using acrylic makes the machine function better or is it just easier to work with when constructing the machine?

-Chris
              Hey Chris,

The reason I used acrylic was after visiting Dambit and being able to see the coils/slip rings from the any view point

Also, we want the least amount of magnetic material near the pole pieces to ensure is a single magnetic loop as JB describes.
              Aluminium will create drag if in close proximity to this area and thus another choice for Acrylic.
              Then I do not have to spend more time adjusting than I need.

Glad to see another on this project and will hopefully inspire others

Regards
              Zero

Comment

• Nice!!!

I was able to put up some pictures on a site I created for the project.

Kromrey Converter Gallery | Kromrey Converter Experiments
                Hey Chris,

Great pics of your progress thus far

Are you going to use all the 10 magnetic stacks?

I only have 4 stacks with a 1000W BLDC Motor and ESC to run it
                Had to problem running at 6000 RPM with this load, no slip rings attached as was just to simulate the load for testing.
                Will swap this out for a Brushed DC motor down the track with my own controller when I determine the correct frequency for my constant load.

The Barium Ferrite magnets I ordered That is a must to succeed as JB intended were $2 USD each and had 55 made up for the project and picked the 40 of the best.
                Ideally, I should of obtained 100+ to match the magnetic field strength for better results.

Looking forward to seeing what size motor it takes to engage all those magnetic stacks

Regards
                Zero

Comment

• Zero,

I have the Exceed RC Monster Power 110
                  MonsterPower 110 (295kv) Brushless Motor

as the motor I am going to try first. I have a servo tester to drive it because I didn't want to mess with a radio and all of the AA batteries to go with it just so I can spin the motor.

I think this motor is VERY much overkill but we will see how it goes. I fully intend to begin my testing with 10 full stacks. They are just ceramic C8 magnets from...wherever. There are 240 of them total.

I have to make some adjustments to the armatures and quite frankly I think that my cores of all-thread rod will not be thick enough. I have already come up with a replacement design but I want to test the machine as it is to get a frame-of-reference to start with. I don't want to start modifying the machine until I know where I am starting from.

I have a bench power supply on order and some other parts so I can remove the input power variable for tuning purposes. After I know what RPM works and the output that I am getting then I can introduce batteries. My plan is to run the machine on 24V to start with.

With all of the stacks being so close to each other I don't think high RPM is going to be the ticket with this. If this is actually the case then I can drop down in motor size and voltage required to run it. Again, we shall see. I hope to have some results here either this week or next week. It just depends on my work demands as to when I have enough time.

I know the drawings show a lot but they don't really convey the size of the machine.

The plates, or discs, are 30cm (12") in diameter. There are three total. The magnet area has the top and middle section which sandwich them all together. The bottom plate is the base-plate with the feet and is below the flywheel. Everything is pretty much aluminium that can be aluminium. Instead of going with the flywheel on top of the machine I want with the idea of a pancake style flywheel at the base of the machine so it wouldn't be top heavy.

The machine stands 43cm from the floor to the top plate. The magnet and armature area is 30.5cm in height. I am going to put together a list of parts and sizes to post so anyone that is interested can have it.

I love the work you and Dambit have been doing. It has actually inspired some of my designs. I figured it was time that I spoke up and tried to add something to the mix.

-Chris

Comment

• Impressive

Zero,

I have the Exceed RC Monster Power 110
                    MonsterPower 110 (295kv) Brushless Motor

as the motor I am going to try first. I have a servo tester to drive it because I didn't want to mess with a radio and all of the AA batteries to go with it just so I can spin the motor.

I think this motor is VERY much overkill but we will see how it goes. I fully intend to begin my testing with 10 full stacks. They are just ceramic C8 magnets from...wherever. There are 240 of them total.

I have to make some adjustments to the armatures and quite frankly I think that my cores of all-thread rod will not be thick enough. I have already come up with a replacement design but I want to test the machine as it is to get a frame-of-reference to start with. I don't want to start modifying the machine until I know where I am starting from.

I have a bench power supply on order and some other parts so I can remove the input power variable for tuning purposes. After I know what RPM works and the output that I am getting then I can introduce batteries. My plan is to run the machine on 24V to start with.

With all of the stacks being so close to each other I don't think high RPM is going to be the ticket with this. If this is actually the case then I can drop down in motor size and voltage required to run it. Again, we shall see. I hope to have some results here either this week or next week. It just depends on my work demands as to when I have enough time.

I know the drawings show a lot but they don't really convey the size of the machine.

The plates, or discs, are 30cm (12") in diameter. There are three total. The magnet area has the top and middle section which sandwich them all together. The bottom plate is the base-plate with the feet and is below the flywheel. Everything is pretty much aluminium that can be aluminium. Instead of going with the flywheel on top of the machine I want with the idea of a pancake style flywheel at the base of the machine so it wouldn't be top heavy.

The machine stands 43cm from the floor to the top plate. The magnet and armature area is 30.5cm in height. I am going to put together a list of parts and sizes to post so anyone that is interested can have it.

I love the work you and Dambit have been doing. It has actually inspired some of my designs. I figured it was time that I spoke up and tried to add something to the mix.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

I looked into the servo tester after I had obtained the transmitter/reciever/ESC to run the BLDC motor and
                    with the servo tester it would be more practical with less parts and will have to make sure I order one.

That is a MONSTER Motor and that running on 2kW would be an amazing sight, looking forward to a future YouTube clip of that

I did not see the max voltage in the link but at 295kV I assume would be 24-36V max?

Also, have you made the blocks to hold the magnetic stacks and shape the horseshoe magnetic field from aluminum,
                    or are they to hold the steel blocks via these?

P.S: Thankyou for the kind words and you have inspired me to spend more time working over the KC over the next few weeks

Regards
                    Zero

Comment

• Zero,

The blocks that are on top and bottom of the magnets are steel. The screws that hold them onto the aluminium plates are also steel. Unfortunately the screws that hold the aluminium connecting rods together are steel. I couldn't get aluminium screws and or didn't want to use nylon. I wanted to have a strong clamping pressure for the magnets as nothing else holds them in place. I figured they didn't need any help because they are magnets after all.

The motor is quite a monster. You are correct about the voltage range being 24-36v. I am going to use it at 24v. I have to figure out how many turns of 24 awg wire to use. That is all I have at-the-moment. The setup I have will be a pain to wrap and doesn't allow for easy modification so it will cost more time to change.

I think the rotor armature ends are too wide for the distance between the blocks but after the first series of tests I can either have smaller ones made or just adjust the ones I have.

I do have a bit of an anomaly with the magnets in that the South pole is stronger than the North pole. I don't know if that is because I am in Sweden or if that is a manufacture's defect with the magnets. They all exhibit this same effect. Maybe my magnet sniffer is more sensitive with the south pole more than the north. No idea there.

I am going to get some lighting and setup a better background for filming so I can get it right in HD.

-Chris

Comment

• Hey, I was considering building this as the mechanical load on a Bedini SSG wheel (instead of a fan). I noticed that the 4-magnet, 4-phase Kromrey has an asymmetrical magnetic field. I'm not sure if this asymmetry is necessary in the design or if my 6-magnet (6-phase) mod below would operate, for example with less cogging:

*EDITED for image preview size
                        Last edited by Hypnothesis; 06-14-2012, 11:54 PM.
                        0x30C35C58 - 15360-bit DSA2 Master Key (exp 2092-05-03) For GnuPG
                        Fingerprint: 7ED6:1BEB:E877:A53B:40B6-2DD6:B7C6:1830:30C3:5C58

Comment

• Hey Hypnothesis,

Either configuration will work for an output. The only difference would be that when you rectify the output you will get an all positive waveform. So your double pole waveform would still come out all positive as would your alternating waveform.

The only reason I did the odd number of stack-pairs is because the patent stated it should be this way. After I do some testing with the alternating poles then I will switch all of the stacks to the same orientation so I have a monopole to test with. I guess I won't have to rectify the output, if it is an all positive waveform.

I love the drawings, btw!

-Chris

Comment

• HD recording is better for YouTube

Zero,

The blocks that are on top and bottom of the magnets are steel. The screws that hold them onto the aluminium plates are also steel. Unfortunately the screws that hold the aluminium connecting rods together are steel. I couldn't get aluminium screws and or didn't want to use nylon. I wanted to have a strong clamping pressure for the magnets as nothing else holds them in place. I figured they didn't need any help because they are magnets after all.

The motor is quite a monster. You are correct about the voltage range being 24-36v. I am going to use it at 24v. I have to figure out how many turns of 24 awg wire to use. That is all I have at-the-moment. The setup I have will be a pain to wrap and doesn't allow for easy modification so it will cost more time to change.

I think the rotor armature ends are too wide for the distance between the blocks but after the first series of tests I can either have smaller ones made or just adjust the ones I have.

I do have a bit of an anomaly with the magnets in that the South pole is stronger than the North pole. I don't know if that is because I am in Sweden or if that is a manufacture's defect with the magnets. They all exhibit this same effect. Maybe my magnet sniffer is more sensitive with the south pole more than the north. No idea there.

I am going to get some lighting and setup a better background for filming so I can get it right in HD.

-Chris
                            Hey Chris,

I'm not sure about the anomaly of magnets exhibiting a stronger south pole and if was a fator in the build you can always wind the coils inverse

However, with building Monopoles and other Bedini tech I have never wound the coils CCW or swapped the magnets poles due to my location. A completely inverse circuit compared to the standard model will answer our questions and have had that discussion with friends in Australia.

HD camera with extra lighting is the key to making clips and I'm always too busy talking to make sure I show everything I want
                            Therefore, I will enlist the help of a friend with years of experience so that the Kromrey 2012 is shown in all its glory

I'm still finding the brushes contacting the brushes problematic in my designs and still not happy to make a real world representation til 100%.
                            I'm gravitating towards copper coated epoxy strips with the carbon attached to the end contacting the copper slip rings. Sounds good in theory and will need to make sure this will not impede the function or my designs.

P.S: With the coils I would aim for 1 Ohm total resistance in series. I have used #18 wire (1mm) with 3 strands in parallel to lower the resistance, this will aid the magnetic reasonance feedback in the counter EMF produced as a bonus. IMHO

Regards
                            Zero

Comment

• Zero,

What is the diameter of your rotor arm cores? Have you experimented with different sized cores for the coils?

-Chris

Comment

• 6 pole KC

Originally posted by Hypnothesis View Post
                                Hey, I was considering building this as the mechanical load on a Bedini SSG wheel (instead of a fan). I noticed that the 4-magnet, 4-phase Kromrey has an asymmetrical magnetic field. I'm not sure if this asymmetry is necessary in the design or if my 6-magnet (6-phase) mod below would operate, for example with less cogging:

*EDITED for image preview size
                                Hey Hypnothesis,

Thanks for uploading the pics with the 6 pole (phase) Kromrey design and either you are using a small KC or massive SSG is the first thing that springs to mind
                                I like the way you think, is all about the efficiency of utilizing all the available energy and not waste that potential. The 23% mechanical efficiency from the SSG could run a KC and is all scalable.
                                However, a Window motor designed to run the KC is another way to look at this but which is more practical will depend on the desired function.

I see that waveform as shorting the coil at the peak of the sine wave either side of the bell curve. Your waveform would have a third HV peak on both the positive and negative switching.
                                I agree with Chris that could be converted to a pulsed DC output without the need for the full wave brigde rectifier.
                                An interesting change to the KC and good luck with the builds/experiments.

Regards
                                Zero

Comment

Working...
                                X