X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip rings?

Originally posted by Michelinho View Post
    @dllabarre,
    One thing comes to mind that could make this unit work differently. Are your slip rings one continuous contact? What if they contain breaks timed the with passing of the magnetic field as to make the magnetic field collapse. If you are using continuous slip rings, you are producing AC like a normal alternator and you will not get back spikes. It would be something kept out of a Patent and not invalidate the concept.
    Take care,
    Michel

I'm already building mine with breaks in each slip ring, equally spaced.
    Everything I read from Tesla, Bearden, Kromney and Bedini; they all talk about cutting off power to the coil to callapse the magnetic field.
    This will give me the spikes like the SSG does (I believe).

Thank you for bringing this up,
    DonL
    Don

Comment

• Originally posted by dambit View Post

@Baroutologos - I think your right about the frequency issue.
      Its not my oppinion. Its a fact. For more info see my thread on FEG machine.

Coupling issue

I was thinking about the coupling of a PMDC motor and my FEG replica. You juct confirm that is difficult if not almost impossible for the average person to go for direct coupling (shaft to shaft) and have no vibration, noise etc. (even tho machining will be)

Perhaps i should go with a belt driven system i suppose... What's your oppinion?

Regards,
      Baroutologos

Comment

• Originally posted by baroutologos View Post

I was thinking about the coupling of a PMDC motor and my FEG replica. You juct confirm that is difficult if not almost impossible for the average person to go for direct coupling (shaft to shaft) and have no vibration, noise etc. (even tho machining will be)

Perhaps i should go with a belt driven system i suppose... What's your oppinion?

Regards,
        Baroutologos
        My rigid coupling is only a temp solution until my flexible coupling arrives. It's the same type of coupling that Bedini uses on his converter. This will allow up to 3mm of misalignment between the shaft and the motor, and will get rid of all vibrations apart from the cogging of the rotor.

I think a belt drive will work just fine if you want to go that way.

Cheers,

Steve.
        You can view my vids here

http://www.youtube.com/SJohnM81

Comment

• Originally posted by xpskid View Post
          Hi Sniky,

Not quite sure I understand your question, but let me try ..
          Look at image 887 above.
          The intent is to create "U" or Horseshoe magnets on either side of the iron armature. The black stacks are (12) 1"x2"x1/2" ceramic magnets stacked using thier own magnetic attraction, thus n-s-n-s-n-s... etc. They're wrapped with electical tape simply to hold them in better alignment. The pole pieces on either end are cast iron, milled to 1" square and faced with an arc to match the armature swing. So the face of one pole piece is N, and the other is S. The stacks across from one another are opposite, so one stack has N on top and directly across , the stack has S on top. When the armature is magnetically locked in between, the magnetic flux is closed and all contained in the loop. Starting in upper left, the N pole flows to the S pole through the armature, and the same on the bottom. The contained loop through the armature is what is important. It can't go through the shaft which is why John stresses a non-magnetic shaft. The energy in the coils is captured when you break the lock and collapse the field through the coil.
          The four pole set-up isn't ideal because armature see's N-N-S-S, the six pole would be better.

Regards,

Timm
          Thanks, Timm I was asking about the last part N-N-S-S I thought about this and the six pole. I would like to build this but I don't have enough magnets for 6 poles(and I thought at 4 poles like in the video)

Comment

• Hmm... nice idea the elastic coupling of 3mm misalignment.
            Can you provide any specs, vendors etc on it?

Regards,
            Baroutologos

Comment

• Shaft

Steve,

What material did you use for you shaft.
              Mine should be 316L SS (what I ordered), however I'll check for magnetism tonight. I'll swap it out for a copper shaft to test before rewinding.
              We need an easy way to exchange wind directions...

Timm

Comment

• I'm cutting 8 grooves in each slip ring to produce 8 on/off cycles per rotation.

Everything I read from Tesla, Bearden, Gray and Bedini; they all talk about cutting off power to the coil to collapse the magnetic field which will produce the spikes.

If I understand correctly the purpose of parallel wound coils, that they hold a magnetic charge after power is turned off, then I will need extra on/off cycles to take advantage of this. The extra ON will dump this stored energy from the coils.

DonL
                Last edited by dllabarre; 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM.
                Don

Comment

• Hi Baroutologos,

I've ordered my coupling from an Australian online vendor called smallparts.com.au. Not sure about other countries.

I've attached a pic of the coupling.

Hi Timm,

My shaft is made from aluminium. I would avoid using steel as the shaft material. Better to use brass or aluminium. If you can get plastic rod that can be lathed, use it. You won't have to insulate the sliprings then.

Cheers,

Steve.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Post found from John Bedini

Hey guys I just found a message on another forumn from John Bedini that you will find helpful

In bedini_monopole2@yahoogroups.com, "John" <john_bedini@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Tim,
                    > I think you need to use #18 wire about 130 turns. Next, Non-Magnetic shaft
                    only .... This machine is a magnetic locking gate flux transformer. It works by
                    charging the pole pieces then the magnetic lock breaks and the energy is
                    released.
                    >
                    > If you use a shaft that is magnetic it will act like a normal generator. Also
                    use carbon copper brushes to lower the impedance.
                    > John Bedini

Hope this helps, Mark

Comment

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info.

130 turns? If thats the case then my 800 turns is way to many.

My brushes are carbon anyway. I stole them from a spare DC motor I had.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comment

• Originally posted by dllabarre View Post
                        I'm cutting 8 grooves in each slip ring to produce 8 on/off cycles per rotation.

Everything I read from Tesla, Bearden, Gray and Bedini; they all talk about cutting off power to the coil to collapse the magnetic field which will produce the spikes.

If I understand correctly the purpose of parallel wound coils, that they hold a magnetic charge after power is turned off, then I will need extra on/off cycles to take advantage of this. The extra ON will dump this stored energy from the coils.

DonL
                        FWIW, here is a screen shot of Bedini's model taken right from the DVD. It's a close-up of the slip-rings. You may want to adjust the gamma level for clarity.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by kent_elyue; 06-18-2009, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• They look solid to me.

Comment

• I'd say the fact that he never mentioned such a thing would also imply that this is not the problem. I think if it was important to have discontinuous slip rings, he would have mentioned it.

I finally finished building my G-field and did a preliminary spin yesterday. I was turning it with an electric hand drill and it's tough to do experiments with only one hand. I did have a FWBR hooked up and a voltmeter and for the speed it was going it seemed to put out over 20V at times, but when I tried looking at the 200V scale it didn't show much of anything (I think my meter is not working correctly).

At any rate, I tried shorting and the meter did show some impressive voltage and sparks at the moment of shorting, and there was difference in the speed of the drill. I *think* it speed up, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Also, I *think* I felt some coldness coming from the magnets, but again, not 100% sure. I need to either figure out how to mount the drill so I can play with this thing hands-free or find another motor.

Will post more details as they come.

Comment

• Dvd

I must agree with Shamus in that I truely believe John said everything accurately and detailed the important parts. If you want to reproduce the device he showed, then don't deviate and try to hard to read things between the lines.
                              I crossed posted my results to the Bedini group and John took the time to respond (See Mark's note above).
                              I've tried to have an impedence discussion on the Bedini group but didn't get much feedback. I'm not an EE guy, I'm an analytical chemist. From what I gather, impedence is simply resistance with an imaginary component, or resistance over time and frequency. Depending on the spikes or the frequency, the resistance can vary. To me this suggests inductance is a component since we are working with coils.
                              I interpret Johns comments to mean "Keep the resistance low stupid".
                              In the DVD he stated 0.4 ohms per coil (~1.6 ohms for the system) so that is what I was shooting for.
                              Remember that the trifilar approach was part of his improvments for efficiency. The device can be built with a single wind. So I believe his comment above is saying... start simply, single wind, 18 AWG, 130 turns and make sure your resistance through the brushes don't defeat the device.
                              The choice of shaft materials is very important.

If it helps anyone, I've attached my little resistance spreadsheet which I used in an attempt to calculate the coil resistance based on my spool volume and wire choice.

Regards,

Timm

Comment

• Originally posted by xpskid View Post
                                If it helps anyone, I've attached my little resistance spreadsheet which I used in an attempt to calculate the coil resistance based on my spool volume and wire choice.

Regards,

Timm

Where did you attach your spreadsheet?
                                I don't see it on your post here.

DonL
                                Don

Comment

Working...
                                X