Bedini DC Motor Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedini DC Motor Hybrid

Hi,I have combined a dc motor with a bedini motor.The dc motor is in series with the power coil of my Bedini motor,my Rotor sits on this dc motor.
    When i spin the rotor the bedini trigger circuit switches the transistor on which sends power through the dc motor and then the power coil.This does 3 things.
    1.The power coil pushes the magnets on the rotor
    2.The dc motor(rotor) spins.
    3.The capasitor in parallel with the dc motor charges up

When the transistor switches off,the capasitor discharges through the dc motor so turning the rotor when a normal bedini would be free wheeling.
    This hybrid motor is spinning really fast on 16mA but will run on a lot less but at a reduced speed
    This motor has quite a bit off torque so i will be trying to turn a small dc gen with it.
    Vid off twin rotor version.
    YouTube - Twin Rotor Bedini DC Motor
    regards jonnydavro.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jonnydavro; 09-19-2008, 09:06 PM.

Thanks for the Report Jonny, what sort of DC motor does it usually drive and will you be driving any load with it?

Comment

Hi Ashtweth.My Bedini motor rotor is mounted on the dc motor.I don,t think i made this clear originally.
      Regards jonnydavro

Comment

Bedini on DC motor

Originally posted by jonnydavro View Post
        Hi Ashtweth.My Bedini motor rotor is mounted on the dc motor.I don,t think i made this clear originally.
        Regards jonnydavro
        KOOL!

I first tried this on an alternator with 5 coils, but I had NO IDEA of how much torque is required for an alternator.

I guess you are using Neos?

I found as I tried to extract energy from the torque of the Bedini the charging rate went down.

Hope you the best!

Mart
        See my experiments here...
        http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

Hi Mart i am using neos but i am not using the dc motor as a generator.I am using it to power the rotor in conjunction with the Bedini circuit.The dc motor is in series with the power coil.This way the Rotor is spun by both the power coil and dc motor.I have a cap in parallel with the dc motor so this discharges through the dc motor when the transistor turns off so powering the rotor through a full 360 degrees.
          Regards jonnydavro.

Comment

Hi jonnydavro;

Thanks for posting your setup, been messing around with Bedini setups myself but never thought of applying it like you have because of the second battery that's usually in the circuit of the ssg.

Usually if you take the second battery out of the circuit or add capacitors and or coils where the second battery would be the ne2 bulb will light up if this second battery isn't in the circuit.

Have you noticed if the ne2 lights up a little or at all with the motor capacitor in the circuit, and does the temperature of the circuit components or coil go up?

Have you noticed any gain in the first battery when running this setup?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious

Regards,
            Paul

Comment

Hi Burned NE2,the neon does not light at all and all components are cold including the coil.The battery is not gaining but its early days yet.
              I am running this motor really fast on only 16 mA but it will run on less than 5mA but a lot slower,anyway i have had a good development with it today and may try and make a video tomorrow.Thanks for your interest.
              Regards jonnydavro.

Comment

Hi jonnydavro

After several days of messing around with a slight variation of your setup I'm seeing something I've never seen on my Bedini ssg and it looks promising so I thought I'd let you and everyone know about it

I don't have the CD motor driving the rotor but here's what I did.....

I'm using my existing ssg setup driving a 27 inch bicycle wheel setup with 2 x 18 North facing stacked magnets

I attached a small motor and cap as per your circuit but the small DC motor is just freewheeling.

I used 2 - 12 Volt 7.5 Ah batteries for these tests.

One is good and the other has been dead for a long time and has been used on the front and back of the ssg circuit and can still run the rotor for a while albeit slower rpm.

The dead battery runs the rotor around 15-20 rpm and dropped from 8 V to 6.4 rather quickly after running the motor for awhile but it ran the rotor from last Sunday average 12 hrs/day and it just keeps going the battery only dropped to 6.2 Volts after all that time keeping the heavy rotor going but the motor would just pulsate.

Today I hooked up a small 12 V bulb where the motor would be and the dead battery would hold its charge and run the rotor and the bulb but at a low intensity and pulsating brightness.

The good battery would run the rotor and the motor but would quickly drop in voltage depending on the motor size so I hooked up the small bulb instead of the motor and it's been running the rotor and bulb with a more intense pulsating brightness for several hours without dropping the voltage or the rotor rpm. The rpm is still holding at 57.

Since going to 2 stacked magnets the fastest rpm I've got it at was 140 compared to 165 with only one North facing magnet arrangement so although it's not that fast now as it could be it could be of use with more coils to recoup energy

The circuit and coil and battery stayed cool at ambient temperature or slightly up depending on the battery I use, the dead one tends to be a few degrees above ambient but the new one is still cool

On the dead battery it can drive the rotor a long time and just keep going, but on what? There's not enough voltage in that battery to run a light bulb continuously so what's driving the rotor and now the pulsating bulb?

There's 18 magnets at roughly 2 oz each so that's roughly 2 lbs plus the rim and friction?

The good battery can't drive a big motor without dropping in voltage quickly depending on the motor size but it can maintain the voltage by using the small bulb instead.

But for now the bulb works well if not better than the small dc motor on my setup and keeps the rotor running

Regards,
                Paul

Comment

Thanks for doing the load test! This is what is missing from the other ideas

Comment

Hi ashtweth

It seems that it's a balancing act so far on my setup but I still am stuck on why the rotor will keep rotating while the motor (load) on my setup will only rotate for awhile after I give the rotor a push to get it started and after that the motor stops rotating and only pulses

The dead battery keeps the rotor spinning , it seems you can either keep the rotor spinning at no expense on the battery in this setup or you use battery power driving a load

I would like to get this beyond driving the rotor to collecting extra energy through extra coils or a window motor setup, any and all help in this direction would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
                    Paul

Comment

Hi Burned NE2,Thanks for taking the time to have a play with this and reporting your findings, it does sound like there's something unusual going on.Would it be possible to do some current tests with and without the bulb.I will try it also.
                      keep up the good work,who knows we may just be on to something here.
                      Regards jonnydavro.

Comment

Hi jonnydavro

This is what I measured when running the setup with the good battery:

With the bulb - 70 mA
                        Without the bulb - over 250 mA

Unfortunately I cannot be more accurate in my high end measurement as my analog meter only goes to 250 mA so I had to quickly lower the 20 turn 20 Kh Pot so that it wouldn't blow the meter fuse.

I haven't run this setup without the bulb as I find the bulb seems to be the key to keeping things running in my setup without depleting the battery

Regards,
                        Paul

Comment

HI Burned NE2,Paul After rereading your earlier post and thinking about your setup,i think the reason why your dc motor pulsates is due to the low rpm of your Bedini and the low duty cycle,have you got a smaller one with higher rpm to try?
                          Regarding your current draw on your current setup,thats a big difference >250mA to 70mA especially if the rpms are the same so i would stick with the bulb on this motor as it is showing some unusual and promising behavior and see how long it will run/hold charge especially on the low battery.
                          Putting motors/bulbs in series with the drive coil seems to produce some very good and interesting results.
                          Thanks for doing the current tests.
                          Regards jonnydavro.
                          Last edited by jonnydavro; 09-20-2008, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Hi jonnydavro

Below is a schematic of my current setup:

All I'm doing is using your setup to run the bulb instead of the motor/rotor and using my existing SSG setup and run the bicycle wheel heavy magnet rotor on the dead battery at approximately 35 - 40 rpm (correction to previously posted 15 - 20 rpm on dead battery).

I put the dead battery back on the circuit around noon and it's now 7:00 PM and the battery is still holding in voltage and still driving the heavy ass rotor at 35 - 40 rpm as well as lighting the bulb, where is all the external energy coming from to drive this circuit at ambient and drive the rotor? Maybe we should start a new thread for Bedini SSG experimenters to try this approach to the existing SSG circuit

Regards,
                            Paul
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Burned_NE2; 09-19-2008, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Hi Burned NE2.If your battery is maintaining its voltage over such a long period off time i think the SSG guys out there would be very interested.
                              If your bedini is performing as usual but with no voltage drop i think you have found something important so a new thread sounds like a good idea.
                              Keep up the good work Paul.
                              Regards jonnydavro

Comment

Working...
                              X