Bedini & The Lockridge Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HiWater,
    I may need to rewind the armature I have. All the wire was removed and the commutator also.

Do you know what size wire to wind with? Or a good DIY site that tells winding pattern and wire size?

Thanks if you know, but research more if not.

Comment

No I really dont know. Its fairly heavy wire. I think it was about 9 turns to a armature slot. dont know of any armature winding site. Those toy model builder site do have some information on winding armatures. (for toy cars) I tried winding some but always got mixed up and wouldnt turn out right. Sorry i couldnt be of more help. Could call a rebuilder and ask.

Comment

Thanks anyway.

I'll look online for the information. I did try some winding some years ago, but it wasn't very good.

I did finish the axle with the two treadmill flywheels and bearings on each end. Got to get two bearing holders that will be placed on two 6 - 8 inch brackets.

I connected my cordless drill to one end to test for balance of the flywheels. Didn't have any vibration but didn't test spin at high rpms.

Comment

need a pulse unit on there too

Comment

What’s a pulse unit? And what would it do?

Comment

I checked the diameter of the armature wire. Its a little over .050 which is 16 guage. The pulse unit needs to make and brake the circuit for the tri-coil. I could never pick up the back spike on the auxillary brushes. Because it collapses in to the other windings and wont come out either one of the auxillary brushes to capture it. maybe you can figure it out I couldnt. I tried for a long time to capture the kickback before if figured it was collapsing in to the other windings

Comment

Originally posted by Hiwater View Post
                I checked the diameter of the armature wire. Its a little over .050 which is 16 guage. The pulse unit needs to make and brake the circuit for the tri-coil. I could never pick up the back spike on the auxillary brushes. Because it collapses in to the other windings and wont come out either one of the auxillary brushes to capture it. maybe you can figure it out I couldnt. I tried for a long time to capture the kickback before if figured it was collapsing in to the other windings
                16 awg seems right. I’m not sure about the back spike from the motor or the coils.

I want to understand how the Lockridge device works. I have my own theory of course. But that’s just for me only.
                I want to build this unit as close to the technology they had in 1940’s. Except the 35 foot long copper capacitor.

Comment

The more you work on that device. the more you learn what cant be done. This leads you in the right direction. Read up on the third brush generator.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiwater View Post
                    The more you work on that device. the more you learn what cant be done. This leads you in the right direction. Read up on the third brush generator.
                    Happy Thanksgiving day to you and All,
                    I’m going at this project differently than the first time I tried to build this device. Which is one phase at a time.

First is understanding what a generator can or cannot do. There’s many on this forum building different generator/motor looping back to source projects. John Bedini has already done this. As did Carlos Benitez with the 4 battery switching patients.

I may succeed or maybe not. Doesn’t matter because only my time is spent on this using my own shop parts and learning what works without going off on a rabbit trail. This will be just on hands experimenting.

I do have a three brush genny but it’s all in pieces so will see what I can learn online.

Like you I’ve a large generator bone yard. Lol!!

Comment

HiWater,
                      Will try getting the generator back together tomorrow. It’s a Hitachi starter generator usually used in golf carts I think. It has two starter coils and two generator coils. I’ll try to just get the motor running part first. Then start building the stand or base part to hold it all.

The motor generator will be coupled to the flywheel because the flywheel is it’s own unit on an axle with bearings.

The capacitor for power storage, the trifilar coil and switching control will all be on separate base or holder.

I want to get just one part completely done before moving to next part.

When/If one part gets done I’ll let you know.

Comment

Wantomake-----Do the brushes fit over two commutator bars. Plus how many comm bars. Thanks.

Comment

Ok, I’ll get down to the shop tomorrow.

Big rain just hitting us now. I spent some of today rebuilding the starter generator. Maybe easier to buy another one with this one being in so many parts all over the shop. It’s an older Toshiba one.

Comment

Sorry Hiwater, I got sidetracked yesterday. Will get that info for you today.

Comment

Hiwater,
                              There's 41 commutator segments and 2 are covered by each brush. 4 brushes.
                              Why?

Comment

Usually generators have an even number of bars and starters uneven number of bars. The bushes would need to be pretty thin to match one segment. I have worked wirh those golf cart starter generators before. The brush holder assembly is a pain to try reposition the brushes. Unless you can fix it to be able to turn on the case. Thew brushes as they come from the factory are in the wrong place.At least that what i found out.

Comment

Working...
                                X