Bedini & The Lockridge Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiwater,
    Not heard anything from mbrownn in long also. But I'm not on this or the other forum hardly anymore.

Here in South Carolina they just closed all nonessential businesses. We thought we would close too. But we sell something that people need and we're still working.
    If we had shut down , I was thinking to revisit the ole shop and stay out of the wife's hair.

But all is well here and want this thing over with and gone.
    wantomake

Comment

Good to hear from you again. Keep safe down there. If and when you start working on the motor project again contact me. Thanks Hiwater.

Comment

Thanks Hiwater,
        I will contact you. After this crisis (whatever it is) I may start really small or go back to full scale motor/generator size.

I still can't understand if the coil and capacitor are the stored power source, or just the capacitor. One idea was that shorting a high voltage charged multifilar coil into the capacitor would build up enough stored energy to keep the motor running.

Any who. I've tried many many different setups with plain coils and multifilar coils. Capacitors of many variations.
        The list is long.

Like we may have said at one time, maybe we are looking at this unit the wrong way. It may be very simple.

Take care be safe.
        wantomake

Comment

That's the same place I am hung up on. If you look at what this device was. It was a 6 volt generator doing what was designed to do light 2 6 volt head lamps in parallel.
          With enough amperage left over to run a small heater. (your car heater) In my opinion the one generator coil works on reactive power. But then there very little magnetic field
          or none at all. For the tri coil to work as has been described here and else where. So either one wire from the tri coil has to act as the primary or the tri coil uses the case as the iron core like a transformer does.
          If one wire is the primary it needs to connect to the in put wire to the motor section. This would give a magnetic field on the tri coil or connected to A coil.(generator coil)

But to me A coil is all reactive power. The tri coil I think needs to act like a step up transformer big enough to charge the capacitor up then switched to the motor side, 60 times a second. for it to run like it supposed to. Still all in the experimental stages trying to figure it out. That all for now chores to do.

Comment

My original coil was a trifilar coil like Bedini described in the video. I built a Plexiglas spool big enough to fit my 12 volt 1955 generator. Wrapped the coil around the spool and wrapped a large capacitor on top of the coil. I used aluminum foil with was paper in between the positive and negative sheets. There wasn't any reaction between the cap and coil. Which was my first thought that was totally wrong.
            ​​​​Then the LC tank idea. Way above my pay grade. Could not get residence of the coil to the cap.
            I did try several different transformer ideas because I thought the casing of the generator acted as a core for the transformer. But that was difficult to do and little results.

Even tried my generator as an amplidyne that was invented before WW2 by Ernst Alexanderson ( Google) . I was amazed at the power output that I got. The coils were primed with a 9 volt battery!! But the gen had to be turned by a belt pulley setup.

It's amazing I'm recalling all this that was over two years ago.

Take care.

Comment

Hello to All,
              As most know here in South Carolina we had major tornado damage hit us Monday 3:20 ish am. We are ok, but some didn't do so well. Got power back Wednesday night. So it has been a challenge for many in this area. Thanks to time / interest in alternative energy our home had some solar power until utility was restored.

Dave Turion was generous to give me a disk with 2" magnets on both sides. Plus I still have plywood pieces and electronics from the 3BGS generator
              ​​​ project which was disassembled.
              After much thought and mostly just guessing, I'm thinking to build this as a Bedini ssg but bigger. My thought is that the SSG is what the Lockridge device is but without the means to power itself. The 2" flat disk magnets are super strong and may cause problems . I did build a terrible version of the ssg with ceramic mags that worked very good. So there will be adjustments.

If this setup will motor and generate like the SSG, then I'll try to understand the capacitor/coil configuration in the Lockridge device. As this has been a great mystery to my understanding.

If you've advice please present it with a demonstration of your own build with instructions. Please be kind.

This is only a hobby and will get limited time from me. Yes my shop is still standing through that huge storm.
              wantomake
              ​​​​
              Last edited by wantomake; 04-18-2020, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Hello to All,
                It's 2 and 1\2 years since I've posted here on this thread.

Just wondering if anyone has tested or built anything to do with the Lockridge device. I can't do any building right now, but still try different experiments in the shop.

Still wondering about the coil and extremely large capacitor that is built around the housing of the motor generator. JB said in the video that the trifilar coil was placed on the housing and the capacitor was wrapped around it.

Some of you have engineering degrees or electronic backgrounds; Can a coil with such a large capacitor wrapped around it influence the capacitor voltage amount of vise-versa? This may be a stupid question, but I've never seen such a device.

Just to see for myself I got a smaller coil and wrapped a capacitor around it. Used a dc power supply and connected the fluke meter to see any voltage either way. There wasn't any in the coil or capacitor. I tried this with the coil on the outside with the capacitor on the inside. Nothing but hertz readings on the coil like radio station channels. Which was strange????

Anyone feel free to teach me here if you don't mind.

I believe the coil and capacitor was placed over the housing for space and convenience sake. Nothing but that.

Working to clean and organize my shop and found many old car generators, dc motors, etc. Plus the parts for this Lockridge project. The one thing I really did not pay attention to was the 300 volt capacitor needed to power the motor side of the unit. That capacitor must also be a high Farad one to hold enough to power the motor and load also.

The unit I built looked exactly like the one in JB's video. Side slots, adjustable brushes(4), (4) coils, brushes were sanded to make them fit on one segment, and the coil wrapped around the case in large plexiglass crafted spool. I could NOT get a capacitor to hold enough energy to move the motor!!!

Sadly it all was collecting dust these last few years.......until cleaning the shop and found it.
                Last edited by wantomake; 11-02-2022, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Cleaning the shop has revealed many parts of old motors and generators used to replicate the Lockridge device.

I started reassembling the ones I could and have 4 generators so far. Some of the remaining parts will just remain as junk.

The parts for the Lockridge device will get reassembled also now that there’s more room to work. May need to purchase a rotor because I can’t locate the one I was using.
                  Or I’ll use the Hitachi starter generator that I reassembled after switching out the starter coils for two motor coils. Not sure.

Comment

Fall is in full swing here in the south. Getting more items reassembled and organized on the shelves. Even have two very large older type electric wheelchair motors that make great generators.

Trying to decide what type of power storage to use. Super capacitors are very pricy and would need high number to store 300 volts to run the motor generator unit. Will probably worry about that at the last.

Trying to keep this project simple and use most of the parts in my shop. Many old iron generators that produces high amperage but takes high amps to motor. The 6 volt Bosch genny has a regulator attached to it and good bearings. It motors very slow but does spin. Had to replace both brushes as they were bad. But the case is too small for the four brushes needed to make a motor/generator.

Will move along slowly with this build being retired and plenty of time to tinker. If I do make any progress I will post pictures or a YouTube video. But one part of the system at a time.

Comment

So what was a generators function on a vehicle. Run 2 headlights in parallel and a heater motor besides a little for the ignition. The lights need to be matched to the small coil in the motor generator..Can you imagine campers going out and using this with 300 watts of light. It would light up a half of a city block..I believe the third bulb was needed to take up the shock of overvoltage.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiwater View Post
                        So what was a generators function on a vehicle. Run 2 headlights in parallel and a heater motor besides a little for the ignition. The lights need to be matched to the small coil in the motor generator..Can you imagine campers going out and using this with 300 watts of light. It would light up a half of a city block..I believe the third bulb was needed to take up the shock of overvoltage.
                        Hiwater,
                        Correct. Also the generator kept the battery charged on the vehicle. And the battery would fire the spark plugs.

But I get your point. Do we need to produce 300 watts of energy? My first objective is to power the motor aspect of the unit. Each generator will spin like a DC motor but it takes high amps to do so. There must be a heavy flywheel attached to assist the rpms and keep amperage low. I have two flywheels from treadmills I took parts from. Have the axle and bearings for the flywheel parts. This will be a separate setup that will be coupled to the motor/generator.

I'm doing one phase at a time. First is the motoring, then attach the flywheel attachment to it.

But I'm still trying to reassemble a good generator unit to use for phase one.

We have a tropical storm right now. Lot of rain and wind. But all is good.

Comment

Pole shoes are only 3 armature slots wide for motor and the generator. The motor cant be to far advanced as to take away from the generator side. The idea here is to get the right positions for the pole shoes and brushes.

Comment

I have many sizes of pole shoes to try. Wide and narrow size coils also. The main case I'm using has many holes where I tried different positions for the four coils that was in it. Two narrow coils for motoring and two wider coils for generation. The four brush holders were in the two cut slots around the top of the case on the commentator end of the armature. It was difficult to arrange them each time I moved the coils. Therefore I used Hitachi starter/generator brush holder that has four brushes at 90° from each other. Of course the holder wasn't adjustable and couldn't be used. So back to independent brush holders.

I need to get another Delco Remy generator to start over. The one I'm trying to use is full of holes. Plus I can't find or I've dismantled the armature for it.

Comment

There is a long and short case that delco made. Im partial to the long case, Because, there are pole shoes from the older tree length pole skidders that work just right for the long case'. The generator pole shoe needs to be narrowed up to have enough wire on the gen coil to get any voltage out of it. I believe i also changed the pole shoe backing on the smaller light circuit coil too.

Keep in mind the diameter of the commutator when looking for another armature. Theres 4 different sizes i have run across.. Smaller the diameter the faster it switches, faster the rpm. So evwerything in side te case has to be adjusted for the diameter of the comm. Hope this helps in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiwater View Post
                                There is a long and short case that delco made. Im partial to the long case, Because, there are pole shoes from the older tree length pole skidders that work just right for the long case'. The generator pole shoe needs to be narrowed up to have enough wire on the gen coil to get any voltage out of it. I believe i also changed the pole shoe backing on the smaller light circuit coil too.

Keep in mind the diameter of the commutator when looking for another armature. Theres 4 different sizes i have run across.. Smaller the diameter the faster it switches, faster the rpm. So evwerything in side te case has to be adjusted for the diameter of the comm. Hope this helps in some way.
                                Yes, any information helps to get this done. Problem is many of the old junk yards have closed around here and difficult to find any Delco Remy generators. Plenty of over priced ones on ebay. But I'm still looking. Frosted this morning, so flea markets and yard sales are no more. Will take some time now.

I will try to organize the rest of my shop this week to prepare better for this build. The stand or holder for the motor/genny. The stand for the flywheel. Something to assemble while searching for the long case Delco Remy.

Comment

Working...
                                X