X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gmeast
    replied
    Originally posted by admin View Post
    Please delete the insults and especially the name calling - just stick to topic. You're both long time respected members of this forum.
    Hi admin, sorry, but I did NOT hurl the initial insults. And I certainly do NOT feel very respected here. I invite you, however, to visit Heretical Builders and see the culmination of several months of intense and diligent research. I'm sure you will find it interesting and maybe a little inspiring.

Greg

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Please delete the insults and especially the name calling - just stick to topic. You're both long time respected members of this forum.

Leave a comment:

• gmeast
    replied
    Originally posted by FuzzyTomCat View Post
    So Greg .... does this mean your not going to share your WORK (link) anywhere ever ?? I see you pulled your electronic contraption attempts down also at R Ainslie's blog/forum whys that ?? I could possibly copy/paste whats been copy/pasted over at Overunity by their members here, in your very own personal thread ..... when I have some time to waste.
    So nice of you to offer.
    Last edited by gmeast; 04-17-2013, 01:04 AM. Reason: I was asked to ...

Leave a comment:

• Johnytest
    replied
    Hi FuzzyTomCat,

I have followed this Rosie thingy threads quite a bit in the last couple days and you had or have spent quite sometime on this circuit. Look like your decision is this circuit is a no go ...
    Looking at the circuit I don't think it is any COP > 1. The circuit basically has to part, the heating part and the driving part. The driving part is the 555 timer circuits which turn on and off the IRF. The heating part is the 24 volt that connects in series with the heating resistor. The 555 timer circuit and the IRF just act as an automatic switch. The heating circuit is just an RC circuit (if you look at the battery as an capacitor) or RLC circuit if the 10 "Resistor" is really an inductor. So, by pulsing the current does not make the heater generate the same heat with less current, it is not like you are pulsing the motor.

If you somehow get the heating circuit to go into resonant by the time the timer cut off then you might gain some heat there, how many COP I am not so sure (but it is not 17).
    Last edited by Johnytest; 02-25-2013, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FuzzyTomCat
    replied
    Originally posted by gmeast View Post
    That time of the month huh? What a wonderfully bitter individual you are. Failure??? Look in the mirror.
    So Greg .... does this mean your not going to share your WORK (link) anywhere ever ?? I see you pulled your electronic contraption attempts down also at R Ainslie's blog/forum whys that ?? I could possibly copy/paste whats been copy/pasted over at Overunity by their members here, in your very own personal thread ..... when I have some time to waste.

Leave a comment:

• gmeast
    replied
    Yep .... It's always a bad thing to delete your postings gmeast and then cause degradation to others work because your work is/was a complete failure.

I hate repeating myself to you over and over here and at other forums ..... I'm presently done with the "Rosemary Ainslie COP>17 modified circuit" because the original concept from the original inventor ( Rosemary Ainslie ) doesn't work as advertized or indicated and never did, thus the modified version I attempted over eight (8) months and twenty two (22) "POSTED" tests and it's "PUBLISHED" results.

I invite you "AGAIN" to post your work of your experimental device in your own thread, being it's noting like the circuit described in this thread and please quit deleting your postings in a child like manner for a effort to make others look bad.

Thank You,
    Fuzzy
    That time of the month huh? What a wonderfully bitter individual you are. Failure??? Look in the mirror.

Leave a comment:

• FuzzyTomCat
    replied
    Hi Fuzz,

I see this thread of yours is accomplishing allot. Look at all of the participation and progress. Congratulations!
    Yep .... It's always a bad thing to delete your postings gmeast and then cause degradation to others work because your work is/was a complete failure.

Originally Posted by gmeast
    Hi all,

I'm glad to see a recent (supportive) thread and post on this topic. For several months I have been trying to come up with methods for analyzing the performance of my Variant-Version of the MOSFET Heater experiment that do not require use of an expensive analyzer, scope or specialized equipment , though some sort of scope is helpful (cheap PC scope maybe just for general tuning).

I conclude partly that the circuit I'm using is what has been referred to as the 'corrected circuit' by others elsewhere. This is pertaining to the general circuit wherein a diode passes from FET Drain to B(+). I do not use the 555 Timer, I use my own digital PWM and a MOSFET Gate Driver chip instead.

Anyway, I have not come close to a COP>17, or 10, or 5, but I am seeing consistent results in the COP>1.2 to (almost) COP of 2.0.

In my tests, I run the circuit at a frequency exceeding 100KHz and around 25% Duty cycle. I run the circuit long enough to produce a stable Differential Temperature and then start recording that temperature. I use fairly small batteries (series 2 x 12V AGM x 7Ah = 24V) for which I have generated a Battery Calibration Discharge Curve using a 200-Ohm x 10W 1% resistor as the load. I record and manually plot the voltage drop of the battery bank (Circuit Discharge Curve), differential temperatures, 12V battery operating the PWM/Driver, etc. I do this for 6-1/2 hours on the hour + that last 1/2 hour. At the end of the 6-1/2 hours, I disconnect the circuit from the Inductive Resistor and calibrate the Inductive Resistor using a Precision DC Power Supply. I adjust the Power Supply levels to produce the same Temperature differential as maintained during the 6-1/2 hours of circuit running and record the Voltage and Current of the DC Power Supply (this can take hours to stabalize). I multiply the Supply's VA and that is the power the circuit was PRODUCING during the 'circuit run'. [AHEAD OF ALL OF THIS: it required that I perform many 'dry-runs' aimed at adjusting the PWM Frequency and Duty cycle to produce a Circuit Discharge Curve substantially parallel to the Battery Discharge Curve when plotted on the same graph]. You now have a clear picture of the Power Consumption of the Circuit (any voltage corresponding to a voltage on the Battery Calibration Curve V^2/200 Ohms ... because the slopes of the two curves are the same) vs. the Power Produced in heating the Inductive Resistor (because of the power value obtained from the Inductive Resistor's calibration using the DC Power Supply that immediately followed the Circuit test ). Using the same rationale (but reversed), plot the discharge of the 12V battery running the PWM/Driver, and create a Calibration Curve for that battery that produces the same slope as during the circuit test ... this means you need a variable resistor to do that. You also need to use a CSR to measure the quiescent current (thus power) of the PWM/Driver. You need to consider this quiescent power at some level. Via that CSR, I believe you can also measure the sourcing and sinking currents used by the PWM/ Driver ... that being the difference between (just) the PWM running and (both) PWM and FET firing. I'm not absolutely positive, but I think you must 'add' that difference in power to the power consumption value attained earlier. I 'add' this value ... just because.

Sorry that I was so 'long-winded' trying to explain this procedure, but it may better suit some of you experimenters and your gear, or it may be of no interest to you at all.

Thanks for listening. Regards
    I hate repeating myself to you over and over here and at other forums ..... I'm presently done with the "Rosemary Ainslie COP>17 modified circuit" because the original concept from the original inventor ( Rosemary Ainslie ) doesn't work as advertized or indicated and never did, thus the modified version I attempted over eight (8) months and twenty two (22) "POSTED" tests and it's "PUBLISHED" results.

I invite you "AGAIN" to post your work of your experimental device in your own thread, being it's noting like the circuit described in this thread and please quit deleting your postings in a child like manner for a effort to make others look bad.

Thank You,
    Fuzzy

Leave a comment:

• gmeast
    replied
    Not so ....

Energy and Shifting Paradigms - Solid State Switching Devices

Testing the TK Tar Baby

Please make your own thread so that there is "NO" association to any work that has already been done in this thread.

Thank You !!
    Fuzzy
    Hi Fuzz,

I see this thread of yours is accomplishing allot. Look at all of the participation and progress. Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Harvey View Post
    Hi FTC and Francis,

The voltage requirements for the 555 are quite flexible. Low voltage versions can be powered with voltages ranging from 2V to 16.5V ICM7555, ICM7556 Low-Power, General-Purpose Timer - Overview

The NE555 ranges from 4.5V to 15V:
    555 timer IC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where higher voltages are needed, there are solutions:
    18V max: NE555N datasheet(picture) PDF download, NE555N Price: .54 [STMicroelectronics] NE555N - DataSheet Seekic.com

Other solutions:
    Is there a 555 timer that has maximum supply voltage of 40V or higher? - Yahoo! Answers

Cheers
    ADDABOY Harvey)))))))))

even this old fard recognized 555 specs. good info to know. dont know where others got there there's.
    gerald b.

Leave a comment:

• FuzzyTomCat
    replied
    I thought news that someone had made some significant progress would be welcome.

I'm uninvited everywhere I go. Wonderful!
    Not so ....

Energy and Shifting Paradigms - Solid State Switching Devices

Testing the TK Tar Baby
    not worth discussing here
    Please make your own thread so that there is "NO" association to any work that has already been done in this thread.

Thank You !!
    Fuzzy

Leave a comment:

• gmeast
    replied
    sorry for the intrusion!

gmeast,

If what your doing is a "VARIANT" to the circuit described in this thread by not using a 555 timer and using a PWM would you please open your own Thread in the main "INDUCTIVE RESISTOR" thread .... not here. If your unable to open your own thread I can do it or have it done for you.

Thank You,
    Fuzzy
    I thought news that someone had made some significant progress would be welcome.

I'm uninvited everywhere I go. Wonderful!

Leave a comment:

• FuzzyTomCat
    replied
    Originally posted by gmeast
    Hi all,

I'm glad to see a recent (supportive) thread and post on this topic. For several months I have been trying to come up with methods for analyzing the performance of my Variant-Version of the MOSFET Heater experiment that do not require use of an expensive analyzer, scope or specialized equipment , though some sort of scope is helpful (cheap PC scope maybe just for general tuning).

I conclude partly that the circuit I'm using is what has been referred to as the 'corrected circuit' by others elsewhere. This is pertaining to the general circuit wherein a diode passes from FET Drain to B(+). I do not use the 555 Timer, I use my own digital PWM and a MOSFET Gate Driver chip instead.

Anyway, I have not come close to a COP>17, or 10, or 5, but I am seeing consistent results in the COP>1.2 to (almost) COP of 2.0.

In my tests, I run the circuit at a frequency exceeding 100KHz and around 25% Duty cycle. I run the circuit long enough to produce a stable Differential Temperature and then start recording that temperature. I use fairly small batteries (series 2 x 12V AGM x 7Ah = 24V) for which I have generated a Battery Calibration Discharge Curve using a 200-Ohm x 10W 1% resistor as the load. I record and manually plot the voltage drop of the battery bank (Circuit Discharge Curve), differential temperatures, 12V battery operating the PWM/Driver, etc. I do this for 6-1/2 hours on the hour + that last 1/2 hour. At the end of the 6-1/2 hours, I disconnect the circuit from the Inductive Resistor and calibrate the Inductive Resistor using a Precision DC Power Supply. I adjust the Power Supply levels to produce the same Temperature differential as maintained during the 6-1/2 hours of circuit running and record the Voltage and Current of the DC Power Supply (this can take hours to stabalize). I multiply the Supply's VA and that is the power the circuit was PRODUCING during the 'circuit run'. [AHEAD OF ALL OF THIS: it required that I perform many 'dry-runs' aimed at adjusting the PWM Frequency and Duty cycle to produce a Circuit Discharge Curve substantially parallel to the Battery Discharge Curve when plotted on the same graph]. You now have a clear picture of the Power Consumption of the Circuit (any voltage corresponding to a voltage on the Battery Calibration Curve V^2/200 Ohms ... because the slopes of the two curves are the same) vs. the Power Produced in heating the Inductive Resistor (because of the power value obtained from the Inductive Resistor's calibration using the DC Power Supply that immediately followed the Circuit test ). Using the same rationale (but reversed), plot the discharge of the 12V battery running the PWM/Driver, and create a Calibration Curve for that battery that produces the same slope as during the circuit test ... this means you need a variable resistor to do that. You also need to use a CSR to measure the quiescent current (thus power) of the PWM/Driver. You need to consider this quiescent power at some level. Via that CSR, I believe you can also measure the sourcing and sinking currents used by the PWM/ Driver ... that being the difference between (just) the PWM running and (both) PWM and FET firing. I'm not absolutely positive, but I think you must 'add' that difference in power to the power consumption value attained earlier. I 'add' this value ... just because.

Sorry that I was so 'long-winded' trying to explain this procedure, but it may better suit some of you experimenters and your gear, or it may be of no interest to you at all.

Thanks for listening. Regards
    gmeast,

If what your doing is a "VARIANT" to the circuit described in this thread by not using a 555 timer and using a PWM would you please open your own Thread in the main "INDUCTIVE RESISTOR" thread .... not here. If your unable to open your own thread I can do it or have it done for you.

Thank You,
    Fuzzy

Leave a comment:

• Harvey
    replied
    Low voltage 555

Hi FTC and Francis,

The voltage requirements for the 555 are quite flexible. Low voltage versions can be powered with voltages ranging from 2V to 16.5V ICM7555, ICM7556 Low-Power, General-Purpose Timer - Overview

The NE555 ranges from 4.5V to 15V:
    555 timer IC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where higher voltages are needed, there are solutions:
    18V max: NE555N datasheet(picture) PDF download, NE555N Price: .54 [STMicroelectronics] NE555N - DataSheet Seekic.com

Other solutions:
    Is there a 555 timer that has maximum supply voltage of 40V or higher? - Yahoo! Answers

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• FuzzyTomCat
    replied
    Originally posted by francis44 View Post
    Hi ozmatic,

Why are you using a 6V to power up the 555? IC like 555 only needs a 5V supply. Try using a regulator to obtain an exactly 5V to power up your 555. This might be the cause of your problem. You are not using the proper Vcc for your IC.
    francis,

I'm having problems understanding your post because the circuit in this thread under discussion uses a separate 12 volt supply for the 555 timer circuit. You might take the time to review the thread and resolve your problem.

Fuzzy

Leave a comment:

• francis44
    replied
    6V

Hi ozmatic,

Why are you using a 6V to power up the 555? IC like 555 only needs a 5V supply. Try using a regulator to obtain an exactly 5V to power up your 555. This might be the cause of your problem. You are not using the proper Vcc for your IC.
    Last edited by francis44; 01-28-2015, 08:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X