• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics and Video

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
    Advanced Seismic Warning System Transmission Lines

December 29, 2015

Here is a set of pictures where I (Aaron Murakami) drove with Eric Dollard and Stephen McGreevy up to the transmission line site. The transmission lines are about 1.25 miles long, which makes this the largest scale Tesla-Alexanderson type transmission project in the world.

Part of the lines run adjacent to some power lines, which may cause interference so EPD Laboratories, Inc. may only use part of the lines.
    We also drive up to an old seismic mine, which is now under the control of EPD Laboratories, Inc. There are 2 highly sophisticated seismographs, which will be used as part of the data to predict earthquakes 6.0 and above 48-72 hours ahead of time. The other 3 pieces of data is solar flux activity and above and below ground signals, which the transmission structure will receive.

A video will be coming soon explaining in detail what you see in the pictures below. It was very windy so some of the audio is hard to hear, but it will be left in the video so you get the raw uncut version.
    Thanks for the great pictures and videos Aaron. I’ve really enjoyed them all. I’m sure it was a great trip.

The scope of the project and the work involved with the whole deal is unbelievable.

It was good to see Stephen McGreevy go along for the ride and experience it all as well. I’m sure he would have become enthused by the whole project. It aligns nicely with some of the interests he has. (I should hurry up and finish off building one of Stephen’s VLF receivers I started to make awhile back).

The Extraluminal Analog Networks video with the scope provides the teaching not found anywhere else!

Fantastic stuff indeed
    "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

• Activity early 2016

I have temporarily set up my small rig in an old PC desk so that the transmitter is safely housed and provides more bench top space. Below are the two coils in Electrostatic configuration, direct connected to a single Extracoil. I’m also constructing a two-way variable capacitive coupling arrangement for this among other things. Screens provide some privacy.

Lower shelves pull out for access:

I was considering the use of these vacuum capacitors for the main tank C. (Pulled from an old sparking VTTC, built many years ago):

Capacitance measured with a 4262A HP LCR Meter. (Glom score for $25, normally several hundred):

There has been further progress since the photos.
      "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

• Originally posted by Sputins View Post
        There has been further progress since the photos.
        Were you able to achieve resonance with that set up? It looks very nice. I would imagine that the extra coil would not work in that position unless both of the other ends of the secondary coils were sufficiently grounded to force the potential toward the center.

Comment

• Bucking Tesla Resonant Induction Coil

Hello,
          I have finished the construction of my first bucking resonant induction coil based on the coil that was in Tesla's London lecture. I have attached the basic coil layout and circuit diagram that I got from the lecture.
          It is not a true replication because I did not use gutta percha wire in beeswax impregnated paper insulation, however, I calculated that the primary and secondary are the same surface area and it is wound in the same "bucking" configuration. Based on previous math, it seems Tesla's induction coil did not keep the surface area a constant between primary and secondary, so perhaps I will rewind the secondary for more turns.
          It was difficult to tune, and it is still not operating with a voltage node on the terminals of the secondary (as it should be). The main reason for this is the difficulty of tuning a spark gap system as well as the fact that the bucking coils seem to cancel out electromagnetic induction. I can not even light an LED on the secondary by scanning for resonance using a function generator @ 20vpp.
          However, using the spark gap "hairpin" circuit, I was able to draw (depressingly) small sparks off of the secondary that are brilliantly white in color and very loud. This shows me that a disruptive discharge certainly gives rise to "electrostatic" effects.
          The construction of my coil is as follows:
          Primary - 2X 3 layers of 14 AWG, 7 turns per layer for a total of 15.5 ft and 42 turns. (25 uH)
          Secondary -2X 2 layers of 24 AWG magnet wire, 26 turns per layer for a total of 55.5 ft and 104 turns
          Power Source - 50kv induction coil driven by a 9v battery
          The primary is wound inside the secondary as is shown in Tesla's split coil diagram. It can be seen in his diagram that he used significantly more turns then I did. I wanted to create one like this, but it is very difficult to accurately measure the length of such a long wire, especially because the coil diameter changes with each layer. Both my primary and secondary are one piece of wire in my coil, which is not easy to do when constructing a multi layered bucking coil transformer!
          I will be messing around with the insulated capacitance on the secondary to see if I can get a stable and sharp resonance between the two coils. If I get any decent sparks, I will upload photos. My goal is to create a coil which exhibits biological effects like the shockwaves and heat which Tesla referred to.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ajay; 01-16-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ajay View Post
            Were you able to achieve resonance with that set up? It looks very nice. I would imagine that the extra coil would not work in that position unless both of the other ends of the secondary coils were sufficiently grounded to force the potential toward the center.
            Ajay,

Tuning the coils is all part of the challenge. The two ends you suggest grounding, are actually the output ends. (Why I showed the globe across them). Sure, grounding these outputs may help the Extracoil to resinate, but certain resonant frequencies can still be found even when leaving it all “floating.”… Added capacity can help to shuttle currents this way or that way. Although during certain Ro frequency sweeps I do ground the outputs when required.

Analysing and optimising the rigs resonance point(s) is indeed quite challenging. The Extra coil certainly complicates matters. The rig though will easily perform the monopole electrical transformation without any Extracoil added at all.

I have some new equipment on the way, which should help with the Ro frequency sweeps.

Good luck with your coil replication, post some working photos if you are able.

Comment

• Sputins Extra Coil and Tuning

I would imagine the easiest way to tune the extra coil is the way which Tesla used, which is adding an insulated and elevated capacity to it. To fine tune it, I believe Tesla raised his capacity in the air until the added elevation provided enough additional capacitance to resonate the coil. May I ask what kind of power supply/circuit interrupter you are using, Sputins?

Here are some mediocre pictures of my set up. You can see the coils (which look like balls of tape) and the 50kv induction coil w/ door knob capacitors that I have been using.
              I am using my laptop camera to take the pictures, so I don't want to risk having my computer near the coil while it is in operation.
              The power source is currently two large 6v batteries hooked up and operating at a bout 8v and .5 amps, so there is significantly less power in the circuit than Tesla had with his high frequency alternators driving the coil.

I would like to discuss the interrupter circuits that Eric has proposed over the years and there relation to Tesla's circuits. In the paper "Condensed Intro to Tesla Transformers", he discusses multipactor and vacuum tube drive as well as a negative resistance spark gap as a means for creating the proper oscillations in the primary. In the Borderlands video, they used two hydrogen spark gaps. Eric said that "the E.M.F is much greater by the spark method" in his Condensed Intro. Tesla used various types of spark gaps at regular atmospheric pressure, he said that vacuum tubes could be used but that he "encountered other difficulties" when using them. I have been using a powerful fan to blow out the spark in my hairpin circuit just as Tesla described in the London lecture and I have found it to be extremely difficult to tune. Are there any better alternatives using modern day tech?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ajay; 01-20-2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I would imagine the easiest way to tune the extra coil is the way which Tesla used, which is adding an insulated and elevated capacity to it. To fine tune it, I believe Tesla raised his capacity in the air until the added elevation provided enough additional capacitance to resonate the coil. May I ask what kind of power supply/circuit interrupter you are using, Sputins?

Here are some mediocre pictures of my set up. You can see the coils (which look like balls of tape) and the 50kv induction coil w/ door knob capacitors that I have been using.
                I am using my laptop camera to take the pictures, so I don't want to risk having my computer near the coil while it is in operation.
                The power source is currently two large 6v batteries hooked up and operating at a bout 8v and .5 amps, so there is significantly less power in the circuit than Tesla had with his high frequency alternators driving the coil.

I would like to discuss the interrupter circuits that Eric has proposed over the years and there relation to Tesla's circuits. In the paper "Condensed Intro to Tesla Transformers", he discusses multipactor and vacuum tube drive as well as a negative resistance spark gap as a means for creating the proper oscillations in the primary. In the Borderlands video, they used two hydrogen spark gaps. Eric said that "the E.M.F is much greater by the spark method" in his Condensed Intro. Tesla used various types of spark gaps at regular atmospheric pressure, he said that vacuum tubes could be used but that he "encountered other difficulties" when using them. I have been using a powerful fan to blow out the spark in my hairpin circuit just as Tesla described in the London lecture and I have found it to be extremely difficult to tune. Are there any better alternatives using modern day tech?
                Ajay,
                Nice 50Kv induction coil you have there. You are probably just not achieving a resonant condition with the induction coil and its spark gap etc. What frequency do you expect it to work at or near?

As for interrupter circuits, or driving circuits, etc. you have various options...

I started my experiments as a young lad, mainly using audio amplifier’s together with an audio frequency generator. So this allows any frequency from 10Hz through to about 60Khz or whatever the actual cut off frequency of the audio amp is.

A mono audio amp can be bought and made in a kit, design your own or buy off the shelf. I used mono car audio amps of around 100-300 watts or built my own. Couple the amp with an audio generator and you have a basic driver of variable frequency for driving coils and such. (But only up to about 40-60Khz).

Spark gaps, like hydrogen 1B22 as Eric used years ago can work. Other rotary spark gaps etc. However the 1b22 is radioactive and is hard to find. I avoid spark gaps if possible because they can be noisy, hard to tune, with not much control over them. For brute force they are certainly fit for purpose…

For the higher frequencies and precise control, you’ll want a Radio Frequency Amplifier. Build your own is best.
                Class A, Class AB, Class C or Class D amplifiers could be used. (Generally Class C for RF). You could use Transistors, Vacuum Tubes, Thyratrons or even Magnetic Amps.

The Class type and design of an RF generator / amplifier is a complex subject...

But you can build your own with some study. (Ham Radio is where to start). From a simple, low power device, through to some complex powerful monster. (Check the radio licence laws in your country etc.).

My Rig uses a CW, AM Radio Transmitter using a 6AG7 two 807 Vacuum tubes in parallel. Frequency control is via a VFO (Variable Frequency Oscillator) within the 160m band. (Maximum power of 100 Watts). For basic tuning and resonance tests, I just use the VFO and a tiny transistorised amp of very low power.

Hope some of that helps.
                Last edited by Sputins; 01-21-2016, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• Snakes alive

While tinkering with the TMT rig late last night, suddenly there was an intruder in the garage! An angry and upset Eastern Brown Snake, (likely scared by the thunderstorm).

What a fright to have the world’s second most venomous snake suddenly enter the scene acting very aggressively because of the storm. I jumped on a ladder and waited until the snake settled down a bit, before I made a quick exit out the door! (Browns are extremely dangerous when upset or threatened, so I'm not going to try and be a "Steve Irwin" and try to catch it).

A little excitement indeed… Hopefully the serpent will soon make an exit as well.

Comment

• Resonance Difficulties

Originally posted by Sputins View Post
                    Ajay,
                    Nice 50Kv induction coil you have there. You are probably just not achieving a resonant condition with the induction coil and its spark gap etc. What frequency do you expect it to work at or near?
                    Thanks for all of your help, Sputins!
                    I have purchased a couple of nice amps, they seem to keep breaking with the various LMD Analog networks that I have built and operated with them. I recently got a Bravo V2 vacuum tube amp, and I have no clue how to convert the audio output to two (black and red) leads! The output sounds pretty bad using headphones as well, leading me to believe it is broken

Back on the topic of the coil's resonance:
                    I was able to get optimal resonance using a square wave at 20vpp @ 100 khz
                    However, that was using a 50% duty cycle. According to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7gP...r_bD-QF97tCD4A the Tesla hairpin circuit outputs very sharp transient waveforms. To better replicate this effect I lowered the duty cycle to .1%, which gave me barely any light on the the ouput LED, and only at about 1khz. Anything above that frequency with the low duty cycle does not even light a single LED.

I hand wound an LMD circuit with approximately a 100khz resonance to drive the primary, but no significant advantage was gained by this. I can't light an LED with one wire connected to the LMD circuit either, so maybe that is not operating correctly.

100khz is a very high target for a spark gap operating frequency. I figured that the harmonics in a spark gap play a significant role, so if I can get a lower harmonic of 100khz, perhaps it will operate successfully. It is a wonder how Tesla tuned his coils so well back then

I am going to upgrade the spark gap a little. Any advice is greatly appreciated at this frustrating (but still fun) stage in the coil's development.
                    Cheers,
                    Ajay

Comment

I have purchased a couple of nice amps, they seem to keep breaking with the various LMD Analog networks that I have built and operated with them. I recently got a Bravo V2 vacuum tube amp, and I have no clue how to convert the audio output to two (black and red) leads! The output sounds pretty bad using headphones as well, leading me to believe it is broken

However, that was using a 50% duty cycle. According to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7gP...r_bD-QF97tCD4A the Tesla hairpin circuit outputs very sharp transient waveforms. To better replicate this effect I lowered the duty cycle to .1%, which gave me barely any light on the the ouput LED, and only at about 1khz. Anything above that frequency with the low duty cycle does not even light a single LED.

I hand wound an LMD circuit with approximately a 100khz resonance to drive the primary, but no significant advantage was gained by this. I can't light an LED with one wire connected to the LMD circuit either, so maybe that is not operating correctly.

100khz is a very high target for a spark gap operating frequency. I figured that the harmonics in a spark gap play a significant role, so if I can get a lower harmonic of 100khz, perhaps it will operate successfully. It is a wonder how Tesla tuned his coils so well back then

I am going to upgrade the spark gap a little. Any advice is greatly appreciated at this frustrating (but still fun) stage in the coil's development.
                      Cheers,
                      Ajay
                      The stout copper bars A.K.A. "hairpin circuit" is not a resonant condition as such, it's an experiment to demonstrate, in Tesla's own words, "impedance phenomena". Standing waves related to the frequency and therefore wavelength produce high and low potential points/nodes along the bars, connecting to various points of which allowing the bulb to light up, or not.

You will need an exceedingly high frequency in order to produce such nodes along a short length of conductor, 100 kc is much too low, the wavelength at that frequency is nearly 3000 metres. That means that the first high potential peak will be 750 metres down the line.

Also, your frequency or "trigger" source if you will is simultaneously your power supply. So if you turn the duty to 1% then of course you have less power, since the condenser is only being charged 1% of the cycle.

Ideally you need a DC or "constant" power supply, or let's say 99% duty, and then you discharge all that in 1% of the time. Not apply power to charge the condenser 1% of the time because then the amount of power in the circuit is feeble.

An LED is also not advisable, you should use small incandescent/filament bulbs starting with the 1.5V grain of wheat bulbs. Although beware that these tiny bulbs can also be more difficult to get working than higher power ones.
                      Last edited by dR-Green; 01-23-2016, 08:28 PM.
                      http://www.teslascientific.com/

"Knowledge is cosmic. It does not evolve or unfold in man. Man unfolds to an awareness of it. He gradually discovers it." - Walter Russell

"Once men died for Truth, but now Truth dies at the hands of men." - Manly P. Hall

Comment

• Hairpin

Originally posted by dR-Green View Post
                        The stout copper bars A.K.A. "hairpin circuit" is not a resonant condition as such, it's an experiment to demonstrate, in Tesla's own words, "impedance phenomena". Standing waves related to the frequency and therefore wavelength produce high and low potential points/nodes along the bars, connecting to various points of which allowing the bulb to light up, or not.

You will need an exceedingly high frequency in order to produce such nodes along a short length of conductor, 100 kc is much too low, the wavelength at that frequency is nearly 3000 metres. That means that the first high potential peak will be 750 metres down the line.

Also, your frequency or "trigger" source if you will is simultaneously your power supply. So if you turn the duty to 1% then of course you have less power, since the condenser is only being charged 1% of the cycle.

Ideally you need a DC or "constant" power supply, or let's say 99% duty, and then you discharge all that in 1% of the time. Not apply power to charge the condenser 1% of the time because then the amount of power in the circuit is feeble.

An LED is also not advisable, you should use small incandescent/filament bulbs starting with the 1.5V grain of wheat bulbs. Although beware that these tiny bulbs can also be more difficult to get working than higher power ones.
                        Thank you for your input dR Green. The "hairpin circuit" is just the term I used to describe the circuit. If you look at the circuit diagram I provided on a previous comment, you can see that the circuit is essentially the same, although it uses a coil instead of a "stout copper bar". Tesla recommended this circuit if the "current forming the arc is small", as it is in my case.
                        You are absolutely right about the length of the conductor being too small. I will likely need to make a larger coil and make some adjustable oil capacitors in order to fine tune the rate of charge/discharge of the capacitors in order to achieve proper resonance. It is difficult to know what the frequency limits of the spark gap are when using a disruptive discharge circuit because there is no one who has documented it.
                        I have also purchased some neon bulbs for use in future experiments.
                        Has anyone achieved HV resonance on a Tesla coil built to Eric's specs besides Eric?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sputins View Post
                          While tinkering with the TMT rig late last night, suddenly there was an intruder in the garage! An angry and upset Eastern Brown Snake, (likely scared by the thunderstorm).

What a fright to have the world’s second most venomous snake suddenly enter the scene acting very aggressively because of the storm. I jumped on a ladder and waited until the snake settled down a bit, before I made a quick exit out the door! (Browns are extremely dangerous when upset or threatened, so I'm not going to try and be a "Steve Irwin" and try to catch it).

A little excitement indeed… Hopefully the serpent will soon make an exit as well.
                          Yikes! Hopefully it cleared out safely. I suppose that's one advantage of living in a cold and wet country, at least there are no deadly creatures to worry about!

That's quite a professional looking setup you've got coming along there. Nice idea building it into the desk.
                          http://www.teslascientific.com/

"Knowledge is cosmic. It does not evolve or unfold in man. Man unfolds to an awareness of it. He gradually discovers it." - Walter Russell

"Once men died for Truth, but now Truth dies at the hands of men." - Manly P. Hall

Comment

Cheers,
                            Ajay
                            You might find that the LMD Analog networks can be hard on the amps. This is because as resonance is achieved, because it is a series resonant circuit, the network acts like a short circuit and only the resistance (R) of the coils is seen by the amp at resonance. The current is maximum at series resonance. So you can often blow fuses in you amp. So to get around that, use a transformer of some sort, or a high watt rated resistor of such value (lowest value you can get away with) to prevent blowing up your amps.

100kHz resonance is likely too high for an audio amp and hard to achieve with a spark gap. So you’ll have to use an RF amp or re-design the coil and capacitance for a lower frequency.

I don’t have any more or better advice on the hairpin circuit than what dR-Green has said.

There are several people who have built coils on Eric’s design criteria and have been able to get them to resonance, at least with primary and secondary coils. I think most of the people who have had some success have posted it here on the forum at one point. dR-green, myself, Geometric Algebra, Nhopa, Smokey, Orgonaut, Jake, Artoj, and probably a number of others too.
                            Last edited by Sputins; 01-25-2016, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dR-Green View Post
                              Yikes! Hopefully it cleared out safely. I suppose that's one advantage of living in a cold and wet country, at least there are no deadly creatures to worry about!

That's quite a professional looking setup you've got coming along there. Nice idea building it into the desk.
                              Thanks dR-Green.

The snake has gone now and it is once again safe in the garage…

Although thinking about it, the bite from a HV power supply would likely kill quicker than any snake.

There are plenty of deadly creatures here though! Last week there was a report from the local helicopter beach patrol of a seven metre great white shark seen only 100m off-shore. Seven freaking meters! Biggest shark ever seen here! Bigger than most boats!

Enormous Great White Shark Photographed In Australia Could Be Largest Ever Seen | IFLScience

Anyway, I’m reviving all my work on the Tesla coils and then some, with the system shown in the photos and some other things not shown in any photos as yet.

Cheers.
                              Last edited by Sputins; 01-25-2016, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• Great job guys, those tesla models should be will be handy.

I posted a video that shows the original coils 10 mH
                                The sectional type. I am not sure what he needs now.

http://www.energeticforum.com/271817-post22.html

Comment

Working...
                                X