Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing some more measurements I get Amplification=3. I have two 6sn7 next to each other now. This seems reasonable?

So with 3k internal resistance my Tesla impedance must be around 550 Ohm.

Comment

• 4:1 balun

hello orgonaut314,
      you need a 4:1 balun trasnformer

very easy can be made of small a pig nose or small ring ferrite or ferrite rod.

turn ratio = square root (Zamp/Zprim) thats is in your case 4.47 or 4:1 ballun

ringbal
      dutch ham site

4:1 balun design and operation
      usa site .

lot can be found on how to make a 4:1 balun .

than A would be 15 a 20 .

regards,

PD7Z / Astronod
      Last edited by AstroNod; 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• I am thinking I am making all my calculations on the voltage amplification. Perhaps I should look at the power amplification? The input has a 4mA and the output has a 20mA so the current is amplified by 5. The power is also amplified by 5 x 3 = 15? Is this true?
        But I see that if the voltage would be higher the current would stay the same so the power would be even bigger

Thanks for the balun idea! But it would change the output impedance to a low one and Eric said it should be high but I don't know why.

A lot to pounder
        Last edited by orgonaut314; 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• HF amp Transformer

hi orgonaut , here astronod .

the Z is high just 6000 ohms the transformer make from 6K -300 ohms
          the amp see 6 K .

Almost all amplifiers RF have transformers . even tube audio amps ..

big tube stage rf might have pi matching .

i would go for the pig nose ar small core take you 10 min to make .

A of 5 is good i got 4 with just 6 turns sec at about 10MHz

i did look at your photo looks ok . the output cables from the amp can be better make 2 banana chassis also on the prim coil the cap tune prim need to be closer to the coil with strap copper to the tune cap .
          make open feeder like 2 wires parallel with about 1 a 1/2 inch spacing for you 300 ohms coil sometimes i use thick cardboard to make spacers for my feed lines . just make little cards 2 x 1 inch or smaller and drill the holes for the wires with the right spacing , make one for every 15 a 20 cm . use wire about 2.5mm is fine copper . loudspeaker wire .

at the moment i make a extra prim. coil for the extra coil i made .
          so thats a perfect teslacoil not what the normal telsa spark coils are with wrong spacing not 62% and no basic tmt calculations to get the extra coil dim. it will have telluric output to and groundplane reflector . the prim coil is 50mm wide strap and wil have 62% spacing to thats 31mm and it have 4 turns this size is due to the size in Aextra = Aprim

just a nice extra test to see how good the real tesla coils will do .

than i would make it so that it fit in the TMT i made . i know what to do to make it good in tune with the right ring caps after days of experimenting .

regards.

astronod
          Last edited by AstroNod; 03-12-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Hi Astronod,

A pig nose seems the right thing to try! Thanks. I suppose this info is in the radio amateur book that I still have to read

When using pulses however I can imagine that a high output impedance of the driver would cause less damping of the oscillations but I'm driving it at a steady sinus than I guess the impedance of the driver does not matter. Please correct if this is wrong.

As for the photo. I do have to work on the wires. Thans again for the practical tips! I am buying sheet coper right now to make my own capacitor to match the surface of the primary. I will try to use cd's (polycarbonate) as dielectric material. A screw through the hole in the middel. Hope it works

As for the tube power. I noticed that the healing effect is much musch stronger with the tubes than it was with the transistor frequency generator. I suspect Vasilatos is right if he says tubes and carbon make for aether current. This thing does really amazing thins for me right now. I don't know it is frequency related yet.

Comment

• Updates

Hey guys I have some updates- I was finally able to catch some pictures of the dark spot in the fluorescent tube! That's just one thing though- it started this past weekend when I invited some friends over to my house for a demonstration...

I wanted to repeat some of the tests I did with Eric at the lab. Also I wanted to try to capture on film the dark spot on the fluorescent bulb. Also I have a higher voltage power supply at my house, and I wanted to turn up the power to the TCS a little bit. So I hooked up the TCS, coils, capacitor, and power supply like before. When I turned everything on I wasn’t getting any field detected in between the two coils. I started troubleshooting and realized the TCS wasn't putting out any RF. I was slightly embarrassed because I had invited these people over for a demonstration, so I started trying to figure out what was wrong with the TCS. (After all it had worked fine at the lab!)

Here's the schematic for the transmitter:

There's a keyer, and you have to hold a switch closed to trigger the rf output. I looked at the schematic and first wanted to make sure I was getting output at the plates of the tubes. When you close the switch for the keyer, a relay is triggered which simultaneously applies plate voltage AND connects the transmitter to the antenna output. I verified the relay was working and that I was getting output at the plates of the tubes. In between the plates of the tubes and the output of the transmitter is a band switch, variable mutual inductance coupling, a variable loading coil, a fixed capacitance, and RF ammeter, and the antenna relay. I was short on time so I just took some clip leads and connected the Tesla Coil primary tank to the primary of the mutual inductance, L107 in the schematic. This way I was able to get output to do a demo without having to troubleshoot the entire output circuit. It looks pretty simple but all those components are difficult to reach inside the transmitter. I was able to do a demo of the coils and resolved to troubleshoot the transmitter after the weekend.
              Monday came and I started diving into the transmitter. I tested everything, the band switch, the capacitor, the RF ammeter, the switch for the fixed capacitance... trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any output. I finally figure out what was wrong- one of those super simple things I completely overlooked- dirty relay contacts. The keyer relay was working perfectly fine, the plate voltage was being applied, but some dirt or oxidation was preventing the RF from getting across the relay contacts. The only reason I bring all of this up is because it had a HUGE difference in the output of the transmitter. Once fixed, I tested to make sure I was getting output by using an incandescent bulb as a load:

Please help support my indiegogo campaign: Cosmic Induction Generator

Comment

• By bypassing the variable mutual inductance, L107, the tube plates were driving the primary tank circuit directly. I was not able to change the coupling between the plate tank circuit and the primary tank circuit. I didn't realize how big of a deal this was until I saw the operation with and without this feature. (Obviously the designers of this transmitter knew what they were doing!) What the consequences are is that if the coupling isn’t variable, the primary coil tank circuit is tied to the output impedance of the tubes, and the tube tank circuit. Tubes generally have a high output impedance so this limited the amount of energy that was able to be imparted to the primary tank. With no variable coupling of the transmitter to the coils I was only able to get about 2.5 RF amps flowing in the primary tank. (About 75 % of the scale on the transmitter meter)

After fixing the transmitter, I ended up having to bypass the meter because so much current was flowing in the primary tank it was pegging the RF ammeter! First, a couple pictures.
                Here's the variometer, L107, the variable mutual inductance:

coupling is varied by rotating the inner coil with respect to the outer coil.

Here's a reading on the RF ammeter, nearing full scale.

I didn't want to damage the meter, so I decided to bypass it with a piece of wire. I kept the wire as short and thick as possible to minimize its inductance, but it only reduced the reading on the meter by about half!
                Here's some pictures of the meter being bypassed (yellow wire is the bypass wire):

Here's the meter bypassed, and still near full scale!

The only reason I mention all of this is that the reflected impedance from the plate tank circuit of the transmitter to the primary tank circuit of the coils clearly had a huge impact on the performance of the primary tank. This got me thinking- this should also hold true between the primary tank circuit and the secondary. The reflected impedance from the primary coils and its tank circuit probably limit the performance of the secondary to some extent if they are tightly coupled. There ended up being an optimum coupling of L107, but it borderlined on the smallest amount of coupling possible. I'll explain further as I get into the testing.

Comment

• Testing: Round 2
                  For this round of tests I took no hard data, only pictures and observations. So there's no graphs I can display this time. I have lots of observations, some cool pictures, and somewhat of a transmitter tuning procedure now.

To help tune the primary tank I used a trick Eric showed me: take a #47 incandescent bulb, solder a loop of wire to its two terminals, and put it around 1 turn of the primary coil. This was very effective in tuning the variable capacitor to achieve max current flowing in the primary tank. It was much more sensitive than the RF ammeter in the transmitter. The variable capacitor would be adjusted until it gave the brightest light coming out of the bulb. Here's a pic of the setup, a bulb was put around each primary:

Here's the way tuning was done this time: (which yielded the most power yet achieved)
                  1. Start at max coupling of the variometer - to get current into the primary tank.2
                  2. Adjust the external capacitance until the #47 bulb lights as bright as it will get. This will have the effect of maximizing the rf amperes flowing in the primary tank circuit, as well as increasing the plate current.
                  3. Turn down the coupling - this has the effect of turning up the plate current because now the plate circuit is de-tuned.
                  4. Re-dip the plate.
                  5. Again adjust the external capacitance to get max brightness of the bulb and repeat the iteration of previous steps. As the tuning progresses, the amount of adjustment of capacitance to reach maximum brightness on the bulb becomes tighter and tighter (Q is going up). To the point where even just touching the knob of the variable capacitor with my finger changed the capacity enough to have an effect on the brightness of the bulb.

A couple of observations at this point- after the transmitter and primary tank were tuned to their peak performance I noticed the coax used to make the connections between the two primary coils(RG8/U) was heating up excessively even after only a few minutes of operation. I think this is some of the biggest coax you can get so I’m probably going to end up making a stripline for the primary connections to reduce losses. Also as the tuning of the primary tank reached its maximum Q, I noticed the air variable capacitor start to flash over every now and then. The plate voltage on the tubes was around 650 VDC at this point, the coupling between the transmitter and primary tank was very minimal, and the air variable capacitor was rated at 2000 volts so the Q of the primary tank must have been pretty high.

Following the above adjustment procedures slowly zeroes in on the best tune of maximum current flowing in the primary tank. I was able to peg the RF ammeter using the above steps. I wanted to see what kind of effects I could see in a fluorescent lamp with max power attainable however. So I increased the power output of the TCS transmitter even more by turning up the plate voltage. The plate voltage of the TCS is supposed to be ~450 volts. The tubes used are 1625 tubes, which are a military version of 807 tubes. They can handle a plate voltage of up to around 700 volts. So I increased the plate voltage up to 700 volts and the screen voltage up to around 350. The 807's have a max plate current of around 125 mA apiece, or 250 for two in parallel. At this level I began to see a blue glow around the tubes. Here's a couple pictures:

Comment

• Anybody have any idea of what that blue corona is? It sure looked cool! It isn't any interaction with the "getter" of the tube as that is at the bottom of the tube:
                    Contrast the royal blue glow of the output tubes with the 866 rectifier tubes from the power supply:

Comment

• I was able to increase the plate voltage no problem, but now the plate current would increase as well. So to keep the plate current within spec, I had to lower the coupling on the transmitter even more to keep the tubes from getting too hot. This was doubly beneficial because I increased the power being fed into the primary tank, and reduced the coupling at the same time which reduced the reflected impedance and raised the Q of the primary tank. This was when I had to bypass the RF ammeter. At this level I couldn't bring the Simpson AC voltmeter anywhere near the coils without being pegged to its limit, so I didn't even attempt to take any field strength readings.

There was something interesting happening at this point, the two primaries didn't have the same amount of current flowing through them. One #47 bulb was lit significantly brighter than the other. Its kind of hard to see in the pictures, but this is the best I was able to capture on film:

Also interesting to note is that the primary that had a dimmer bulb (signifying less current) had a secondary with a higher peak voltage than the other secondary. I was able to ascertain this by drawing an arc off the secondary with the fluorescent lamp.

This secondary created a longer arc than the other secondary. What this tells me is that the primary on this side was coupling more of its field energy into its associated secondary than the other side. I will have to test this more in the future. I'm curious if switching the coil connections from one primary onto the other will also move the effect, or if it is specific only to this primary/secondary.

Also I used a VR tube to probe the voltage level across the primary and secondary. Notice in the following pictures as I move the VR tube closer to the end of the secondary the VR tube gets brighter.

Comment

• What I did next was start playing around with some fluorescent tubes, trying to see the interference patterns. I captured some pretty cool pictures: (It was hard to take pictures because I was holding the tube in one hand and the camera in the other)
                        I’m going to start with the least impressive images and move towards the more impressive ones. (Also note in these pictures I'm wearing gloves. I discovered you can get an RF burn if you are touching one of the metal pins of the fluorescent tubes while holding the tube in the field of the coils)

Comment

• These were the two hardest images to come by. This is using a 4 ft long fluorescent tube. These things light up much easier than the smaller tube, so it was harder to get completely dark spots. It was extremely difficult to find two interference patterns, let alone photograph them at the same time. These are the two most impressive pictures in my opinion, even if the interference patterns weren't as pronounced as some of the others.

I did some hard thinking after these tests and something immediately came to mind. If I stuck just one end of the fluorescent lamp near the coils, the entire tube would light up. That is, if one end of the tube was receiving enough energy to ionize the gas inside, the plasma would propagate down the entire tube. Here's a couple pics demonstrating this with a 4 foot fluorescent tube, to really show the plasma propagates down the tube:

So all it took was part of the fluorescent tube to be receiving field energy and it would be spread through the ionized molecules, and light up the whole tube even if the other end of the tube wasn't receiving any field energy. So the plasma inside the tube tends to spread, regardless of whether or not a field is present. Now this is what seems interesting to me, and please correct me if I am mistaken because I'm not very knowledgeable about plasma but:

This tells me one of two things is happening in the "dark spots"
                          1. The interference pattern is actively sucking energy away from the tube in this area to prevent a plasma from forming.
                          or
                          2. The interference pattern somehow prevents energy from the "lit" plasma being transferred to the unlit regions of the tube.
                          Any comments or criticism are welcome!

Comment

• Got it! I'm not going for a pig nose but for a variometer between my driver and my primary! That way I can make the coupling low Very impressive transmitter and I learn a lot from the pictures. Thanks!

About the blue radiation I think that is the so called bremsstrahlung. Normally they say the electrons are slowed down and than they emit blue light.
                            Bremsstrahlung
                            But I think Eric says there are no electrons just aether particles because the fieldlines are breaking.

Regards!

Comment

• Out of this world setup

Originally posted by jpolakow View Post

These were the two hardest images to come by. This is using a 4 ft long fluorescent tube. These things light up much easier than the smaller tube, so it was harder to get completely dark spots. It was extremely difficult to find two interference patterns, let alone photograph them at the same time. These are the two most impressive pictures in my opinion, even if the interference patterns weren't as pronounced as some of the others.

I did some hard thinking after these tests and something immediately came to mind. If I stuck just one end of the fluorescent lamp near the coils, the entire tube would light up. That is, if one end of the tube was receiving enough energy to ionize the gas inside, the plasma would propagate down the entire tube. Here's a couple pics demonstrating this with a 4 foot fluorescent tube, to really show the plasma propagates down the tube:

So all it took was part of the fluorescent tube to be receiving field energy and it would be spread through the ionized molecules, and light up the whole tube even if the other end of the tube wasn't receiving any field energy. So the plasma inside the tube tends to spread, regardless of whether or not a field is present. Now this is what seems interesting to me, and please correct me if I am mistaken because I'm not very knowledgeable about plasma but:

This tells me one of two things is happening in the "dark spots"
                              1. The interference pattern is actively sucking energy away from the tube in this area to prevent a plasma from forming.
                              or
                              2. The interference pattern somehow prevents energy from the "lit" plasma being transferred to the unlit regions of the tube.
                              Any comments or criticism are welcome!
                              Hello jpolakow

Your work is great, I have never seen these replications. I often wondered over the past 40 years what has become of Eric's wireless machines.

The way I understand it is that there is one transmitter and as many receivers as you can build so the more receivers one has the more power output/per input.

Please correct me if this is wrong. I have never heard of anyone building such an awesome setup as yours.

Many wireless experiments can be found all around the world in many high voltage array.

This is all I know about the entire overall picture and it is not much.

I know that the mass of primary and secondary are to be equal but I don't know what that gets you for doing it that way.

Thanks for the excellent replication.

Mike

Comment

• Glad to see your efforts take shape with the Q. Moving the heat to the center is good indication that heat is the location max radiating. A copper pipe hardline might work. An additional Parallel line are sometimes used for drawing off excess during phase correction or phase loop in transmission lines.

In looking for details on instrumentation development I was able to find a little. In this book what Aston and others found various dark space in discharge tubes.

Scientist by Aston’s time must have concluded AC transverse wave was sufficient.There are clues that Tesla waves were not given much concideration and this bias became more persistent and textbook companies leave out. picking up the pieces from late 1890's so that methods used will better include Tesla waves.

On page 343 summary entitled Aston’s dark space. In trying different gases some showed small thin dark space.
                                Conduction of Electricity Through Gases - Google Books
                                I was incounraged to find on page 349 figure 134 illustrates a tube that indicates longitudinal magnetic wave gives an idea what to look for and what this tube looked like.
                                The tube here is a sensitive instrument inclined to be qualitative for dark space.

The complete array of 4 dark spaces shown.
                                Electric glow discharge - (The Plasma Universe Wikipedia-like Encyclopedia)
                                The glow characteristics bunch different stages.
                                http://lrrpublic.cli.det.nsw.edu.au/.../pressure4.jpg
                                In some smaller dark zones are rounded and in the demo there was large dark space and we could see the tail.

Comment

Working...
                                X