X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pp-18/ar

Hello Arto,
    Have been buying vintage multivibrators ever since I purchased a beat up Oz 1930s Calstan Tube/Valve Checker but 12volt split-reeds are difficult to come by and still searching.
    Oak/MSP V5948 12v and V6824 24v and V6832 32v are the numbers required for use or coil modification.
    Have had this one on my project list for some time but procurement of some of the parts has been difficult.
    I have provided many Posts on this subject with information over the last year or so.
    Asked Eric what the inductance was of the input/output chokes but have not received an answer as yet but will include that in my next letter to him.
    Do have two 6volt split reeds here which I am able to modify into one with the correct coil resistance for 12 volt.
    However, the multivibrator is the weak point here and would like to have a backup.

Has anyone ever done the Imhotep relay thing which is a similar device of understanding and you are able to light a neon with only 12 volts input and is quick and easy to setup?
    Showed this to people but they simply did not understand.

Have just bought a very heavy choke on Ebay at about 3kgs (7lb) which is about the same size as the unit in question but is only a single and measures 33 Henry as a guide - so looking at 10 Henry for each side.

Smoothing and Swinging Choke explained:
    A smoothing choke has a 'normal' sized air-gap in its core, designed to maintain a fairly constant inductance up to the maximum direct current for which it is specified. It is intended for use in a capacitor-input filter, but it can also be used satisfactorily in a choke-input filter if there is no significant variation in current demand. A smoothing choke has to be built with a relatively large iron core, in order to obtain the required inductance despite its large air-gap (just like an OP transformer intended for SE operation).

A swinging choke is intended to be used as the first choke in a choke-input filter in cases where the current demand varies considerably, such as for feeding class AB or B amplifiers. It has a very small air-gap in the core, so that it will become more saturated and its inductance will fall as the current demand rises. This is done because the required inductance is less at higher current. Its inductance should be (but often isn't) specified as a range (e.g. 1Hy to 5Hy) over the current range for which it is intended to be used. A swinging choke, having a smaller air-gap, needs a relatively small iron core, so it is lighter and less bulky than a smoothing choke of similar inductance.

Nothing happening here unfortunately as with the cooler weather I have been forced into slave labour doing the jobs that we don't want to be doing but making someone else happy is probably all we can ever ask for.

Smokey

Comment

• screwy vibrator

Originally posted by artoj View Post
      I might try to build this, If anybody knows what the frequency of this unit was it would be appreciated, otherwise I will figure it out regardless(L1,L2,L3). Thanks Arto
      Hi Arto,
      I hope you have a successful build with this, although as Prof Dollard said, "when the vibrator gets screwy" (I'm blushing ), was when it produced the anomalous results. So the rate of vibration would be anyone’s guess at that point, perhaps it's more like a spark gap running when the vibrator "gets screwy". Whatever that means exactly. Anyway you've probably considered that.

Also, thanks for the Mutual Inductance Chart you are working on. This could be a rather helpful tool for the coil builders. I'll take some measurements of my recent coils once they are completed.
      Sputins
      "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

• Missed the input

David, yes it should be 7 Henrys for the input coil(L1A), just missed that one, got too many things going at the same time. Thanks Regards Arto

Thanks Sputins, I searched in all my electronics stuff(100 books,PDFs etc) and the Net and in the end I had to develop my own equations and procedures. This is the first set of diagrams that will set all those messy bench-tops with wires clamped randomly at coils to clean up and do some real measurements and hopefully we will see some progress with all those experiments. Regards Arto

Comment

• Electrinium Battery

Solar Radiant Energy and the Electrinium Battery:

Solar radiant energy and the Electrinium battery - Nu Energy ™

This is also available at the Public Chest which now appears to be asking for a donation before you can download.
          You can only go just so far and then you will meet staunch opposition and that's where you are at, at this time.

Have always had this wierd suspicion of magentism being all alone and never quite knowing what the electrical equivalent was and had taken the Electret as that missing medium and I wasn't that far off!

This short book tells all and is a must read for all those involved with the quest for Energy Synthesis and pretty much equals what Eric is telling us about our Sun and other related matter.
          Two energy streams, one from the Cosmos in AC in a North - South alignment and that from our Sun as a DC coming in an East - West alignment - our Sun being a transformer and rectifier.
          Read William Lyne's 'Pentagon Aliens' and you immediately see his UFO with a DC brush potential on top and an AC underneath creating levitation and defying gravity.

So there we have it, the electrical equivalent of magnetism is in the Electrinium Battery.

Have added this to my project list as I already have the materials for the Electret but the problem will now be in obtaining the new chemicals required like in Borozon (Boron Nitride) - I have Borax here but not quite the same.
          This is what bugs me is that there are people making millions out of mining dirt in your own country but you can't even buy a sample of the mined material as they don't want you to have it!
          Doesn't sound that complicated but you do need smelter tools and crucibles and is probably going to be worth it to achieve a permanent battery.
          I am the one that cries out at the poor technology currently in use with batteries and this is an answer to the crime of continuing to use inferior technology in the world-wide battery racket.
          I have my answer.

However, I still have a nagging suspicion that as Iron is to magnetism so too is Carbon to electricity and need to dwell on that association as I feel we are missing something here that needs attention and it is more than just the Electrinium Battery.
          Nikola Tesla was the one that stated Carbon was the element that opened the door to the 'Warmth Ether' and this now relates to the AC energy of the Cosmos and not the rectified/transformed DC component from our Sun and we need to work on that premise.

Smokey

Comment

• pi/2 of sqrt(3) ??

Hi all,

I have added some notes to my copy of Paul Stowe's theory about a/o the theoretical propagation speed of longitudinal waves:

Tuks Unsorted KieknWatTWordt Stuff : Stowe Foundation Unification Physics

It is unclear how/where the author comes to these equations.
            For some info, see for example http://www.mech.utah.edu/~brannon/pu...s_example.txt:
            Code:
               lam = First Lame parameter         = G(E-2G)/(3G-E) = K-2G/3
                 G = Shear modulus (= 2nd Lame parameter, mu)   = E/2/(1+nu)
                 E = Young's modulus              = 3K(1-2nu) = 2G(1+nu) = 9KG/(3K+G)
                nu = Poisson's ratio              = (3K-E)/6K = lam/2/(lam+G)
                 K = bulk modulus                 = E/3/(1-2nu) = lam + 2G/3
                 H = constrained modulus          = 2G+lam = 3K-2lam = K + 4G/3
                ko = SIGy/SIGx in uniaxial strain = nu/(1-nu)
                cl = longitudinal wave speed      = sqrt(H/rho)
                ct = shear (TRANSVERSE) wave speed  = sqrt(G/rho)
                co = bulk/plastic wave speed      = sqrt(K/rho)=SQRT(cl^2-4(ct^2)/3)
                cr = thin rod elastic wave speed  = sqrt(E/rho)
            It is unclear why the author comes to a situation wherein H = 3G.

There is a relation, the Poisson ratio, which is the ratio of transverse contraction strain to longitudinal extension strain in the direction of stretching force. This has a theoretic value between -1 and 0.5:

What is Poisson's ratio?

In this paper, according to equation 3.19, the speed of P-waves is sqrt(3) times the speed of S-waves for a poisson ration of 0.25:

http://hep.ph.liv.ac.uk/~hutchcroft/...CN3Elastic.pdf

In this paper, some more on seismic waves, wherein it is a/o stated that it is usual to assume 0.25 for the Poisson ratio:

http://desastres.usac.edu.gt/documen...doc4265-3e.pdf
            -:-
            Longitudinal Waves

In longitudinal waves, the direction of particle motion coincides with the direction of waves. The longitudinal wave is also called P-wave. The velocity of such waves is the following:

alpha = sqrt ( E(l-v) / delta(l+v)(1-2v) )

where, E = Young's modulus; v = Poisson's ratio; delta = density.

Transverse Waves

In transverse waves the direction of particles is orthogonal to the direction of advance and the velocity is:

beta = sqrt( E / (2 delta (l+v)) )

The transverse wave is called S-wave, a SV-wave when vertically polarized and an SH-wave when horizontally polarized.

It is usual to assume v = 0.25 and to take Vp/Vs as 1.73 (i.e. sqrt(3)).
            -:-

At this page, it is stated:

Tensile Properties

"For a perfectly isotropic elastic material, Poisson's Ratio is 0.25."

It is logical that the author starts with a perfectly isotropic material for his aether model, so things appear to add up.
            In other words: if the aether can be considered to be a perfectly isotropic elastic material, then it should have a Poisson ratio of 0.25 and therefore the propagation speed of longitudinal waves should be sqrt(3) times the speed of light and not pi/2 times the speed of light. At least, *if* we can assume the propagation speed of the near-field transverse waves to be equal to to speed of light, which is a reasonable assumption given that antennas are also designed based on that assumption.....

Further, I finally found some time to work on the moon-bounce project again. I simulated a TM_01 mode "cantenna", whereby I chose the radius to be 10 cm, thus a diameter of 20 cm. For that diameter, we get a "group velocity" of sqrt(3) times the speed of light using the formulas from Terman's Radio Engineers Handbook at the design frequency of 1296 MHz:

When I take the length of the waveguide to be 3/4 of the group wavelength (about 27 cm, IIRC), I get a nice dip at the design frequency of 1.3 GHz of about -16 dB in the s-parameters.

The far-field simulation shows no radiation in the length direction of the waveguide, but the transformation by which the far fields are computed - after the near-field calculations are finished - does not account for the existence of longitudinal waves and is therefore unreliable.

I will try and make two of these waveguides and perform some measurements the coming weeks/months. I have a low-power 23cm ATV transmitter, an old analog satellite receiver and a "sat finder" power meter, so I can do some experiments when I get all that up and running.

Will post my progress on the moonbounce thread.
            Last edited by lamare; 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM. Reason: some rephrasing and additions. - Oops, diameter should be radius.

Comment

• Gaseous Ether

Hi Lamare,

Great references to Paul Stowe, I really enjoy all the fundamental work he is trying to piece together. Looking at what has been written I can see by using standard physics to explain something that has been ignored and denided(LMD) by its own foundation will never give the results in the correct form. The current model of EM waves are based on the flawed Hertz theory.

S waves can travel only through solids, as fluids (liquids and gases) do not
              support shear stresses.

In Teslas own words ""I had maintained for many years before that such a medium as supposed could not exist, and that we must rather accept the view that all space is filled with a gaseous substance. On repeating the Hertz experiments with much improved and very powerful apparatus, I satisfied myself that what he had observed was nothing else but effects of longitudinal waves in a gaseous medium, that is to say, waves, propagated by alternate compression and expansion. He had observed waves in the ether much of the nature of sound waves in the air."

Just so things do not go astray with all your hard work, regards Arto

Comment

• Originally posted by artoj View Post
                Hi Lamare,

S waves can travel only through solids, as fluids (liquids and gases) do not
                support shear stresses.

In Teslas own words ""I had maintained for many years before that such a medium as supposed could not exist, and that we must rather accept the view that all space is filled with a gaseous substance. On repeating the Hertz experiments with much improved and very powerful apparatus, I satisfied myself that what he had observed was nothing else but effects of longitudinal waves in a gaseous medium, that is to say, waves, propagated by alternate compression and expansion. He had observed waves in the ether much of the nature of sound waves in the air."

Just so things do not go astray with all your hard work, regards Arto
                S, or transverse, waves (S-wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) can also propagate along the boundary of two media with a different density. That is what we call the near-field in Electrical Engineering.

The far field, starting at about 2 wavelengths away from your antenna, is what is known as Herzian waves, those waves with that very strange wave-particle duality character. These are some kind of rotating vortex structures.

There is really no other way to go but to accept the existence of the aether. With that concept, you cannot only simply understand the EM fields, but also understand what is wrong with Quantum Mechanics and why they will never ever succeed in building the much trompetted "Quantum Computer". I wrote some comments on that subject, wherein I also explain the difference between the near and far fields:

Tuks Unsorted KieknWatTWordt Stuff : Questioning Quantum Mechanics

So, when we accept the existence of an aether with fluid-like properties and follow Stowe's thesis that gravity = Grad E (the gradient of the electric field), and the magnetic field as being the rotation of the aether, we have a proper theoretic and conceptual foundation to work with.

And when we consider the existence of a fluid-like medium wherein all particles and EM waves exist and propagate, we can also beatifully visualize what particles look like. A very important ingredient in this picture are the vortices/rotating thorusses that sustain the magnetic (rotational) component of an EM particle or photon, and thus we come to particles looking something like this:

It is often said that a picture tells more than a thousand words and these two pictures really tell it all.

All right. So, we have an area around any antenna structure that is called "the near field" and we have the "far field", which consist out of photons or particles with that very strange wave-particle duality character.

When a real aether medium with fluid-like properties exists, this can be simply explained by postulating that in the near field, the vicinity of the boundary of two materials with a different propagation constant (or density), we have the good old transverse waves, while in the far field the propagation mode of the near-field transverse wave transforms into these thorus-like structures known as "particles" or "photons".

What this comes down to regarding the EM fields is that in the far field, you have Tesla's longitudinal waves as well as these rotating vortex structures. The latter are being measured, counted and played with in large particle colliders such as in CERN, so they can create these kinds of structures at an ever increasing frequency band and thus create ever more particles "they can catalog and confuse themselves with", as Eric once said:

Tuks Unsorted KieknWatTWordt Stuff : Interview By Tom Brown

Physicists have focused their attention strictly on magnetism. In a newspaper article I was looking through the other day I saw that the physicists now have an even bigger magnet so they can smash atoms ever harder and find more little tiny fragments to catalog and confuse themselves. What could be quirkier than a quark? (laughter)

When you accept the existence of the longitudinal wave as well, then you have no problem understanding the famous dual slit experiment, whereby an interference pattern appears when you fire "particles" trough a dual slit, which is then projected onto a screen:

Double-slit experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You see, before the slits you have those rotating vortex kind of structures, while after the slits you get a longitudinal wave, which interferes. All very simple and elegant, without the need for ridiculous theories wherein particles exist at two places at the same time, not to speak of supposedly "entangled" particles which react onto one another even at great distance because "the wave function" collapses. Yeah, right.
                Last edited by lamare; 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM. Reason: added some extra spacing in the text; added ref to wikipedia on S-waves; added quote from E.D.

Comment

• Can anyone advise what version/publication of "Theory and Calculation of Transient Electric Phenomena and Oscillations" and "Electric Discharges, Waves and Impulses, and Other Transients" by Steinmetz would be readable?

I've been trying to look on Amazon but it's pretty useless. "Look Inside" links to different publications so I still don't know what the print looks like, reviews on amazon.co.uk are from amazon.com (beta), and the same reviews turn up on different publications. So all in all it's of no use whatsoever and I have no idea which version will be a complete waste of money and which is actually readable. So can anyone recommend a publisher or ISBN number or whatever of a good version? I once bought a book by Tesla which turned out to be photocopied unreadable trash and I had to buy another publication, but these Steinmetz books are even more elusive, lack of reviews and info etc.

Thanks
                  http://www.teslascientific.com/

"Knowledge is cosmic. It does not evolve or unfold in man. Man unfolds to an awareness of it. He gradually discovers it." - Walter Russell

"Once men died for Truth, but now Truth dies at the hands of men." - Manly P. Hall

Comment

• Originally posted by dR-Green View Post
                    Can anyone advise what version/publication of "Theory and Calculation of Transient Electric Phenomena and Oscillations" and "Electric Discharges, Waves and Impulses, and Other Transients" by Steinmetz would be readable?

I've been trying to look on Amazon but it's pretty useless. "Look Inside" links to different publications so I still don't know what the print looks like, reviews on amazon.co.uk are from amazon.com (beta), and the same reviews turn up on different publications. So all in all it's of no use whatsoever and I have no idea which version will be a complete waste of money and which is actually readable. So can anyone recommend a publisher or ISBN number or whatever of a good version? I once bought a book by Tesla which turned out to be photocopied unreadable trash and I had to buy another publication, but these Steinmetz books are even more elusive, lack of reviews and info etc.

Thanks
                    Wexford College Press produced a high quality reprint of "Transient Electric Phenomena and Oscillations". ISBN 1-929148-28-3.

Dover Phoenix Editions produced the "Lectures on Electrical Engineering, a three volume set, in 1971, and reprinted in 2003. Check out Vol II and III.

Although some of the oscillogram figures are worthless, the softcover scan-reprint of Elementary Lectures on Electric Discharges, Waves, and Impulses, and other Transients," from Forgotten Books (ISBN-13: 9781440088858 ISBN-10: 1440088853), is readable.

Dealoz.com is a decent tool for comparative pricing of books from vendors.

Comment

• Originally posted by dR-Green View Post
                      Can anyone advise what version/publication of "Theory and Calculation of Transient Electric Phenomena and Oscillations" and "Electric Discharges, Waves and Impulses, and Other Transients" by Steinmetz would be readable?
                      Hi dR-Green,

On archive.org you can find both in either PDF DJVU or RTF format, freely downloadable, so you can see what is inside. Depending on the quality of the scanners the file size may vary and also watch for the publication date of the original book. I have listed both books by a search at archive.org:

Internet Archive Search: Theory and Calculation of Transient Electric Phenomena and Oscillations

Internet Archive Search: Electric Discharges, Waves and Impulses, and Other Transients

Doing some search on Steinmetz you can find further hits.

Gyula

Comment

• I take it you are looking for physical paper? (Not a fan of a tablet and .pdfs eh?)

Back to the topic... anything by putout by Dover is topnotch! I have some of their reprints of the MIT Rad. Lab Series and can testify to their excellency in print quality.

As for editions, if I'm not mistaken, the 3rd Ed. / "5th Impression" of the "T&C of Transient Electric Phenomena & Oscillations" is the last edition printed, but I might be wrong. On that note, the only Steinmetz book that edition really matters is the "T&C of Alternating Current Phenomena" as the 5th Ed. chopped off like 200+ pages of content. This being "good" or "bad" I'm not too sure of... Could be related to obsolete content (old motor/generator designs and such, as that was an era of great change).

Eric says Steinmetz had to rewrite content in latter editions... but I'm not too sure about that. I've scrutinized the p!ss out of all the edition I could get a hold of and didn't really find any monkey business afoot. However, I did notice gradual and slight changes in certain sections between editions. Nothing nefarious though... to each his own, I suppose.

Comment

• Lamare,

In reference to your post further up on this page, which seems to have little feedback from others sadly, you seem to regard EM waves as not consisting of particles or what?

I ask this since I've just watched a TED video on a camera that takes a trillion frames per second where in both the wave and particle nature of light is manifested simultaneously.

Ramesh Raskar: Imaging at a trillion frames per second | Video on TED.com

So I find it hard regard EM energy solely as a wave as there is much evidence of its particle like interactions with material objects. Getting to my point, if you are working on a theory that disproves another, it should be able to ALSO make sense of the particle interactions, NOT just solely the wave functions.

Further, I find nothing wrong with superimposition, as it exists with electric and magnetic fields, so its not just exclusive to photons. When you think about it, at incredibly small scales things don't have to work the same as on our macro scale. As with all things, everything start to get weirder the closer you examine and the smaller the objects size. Paradoxes are merely our inability to accept reality for what it is, not something that cannot exist.

Finally, EPD thinks that the B-field, E-field and Poyntine vector are all aligned in a longitudinal wave. TE Bearden thinks that there are two counter longitudinal waves for every transverse (time-forward and time-reverse), he gives no clear description of a longitudinal wave however (lol). You and Madhatter seem to think that some part of an ES wave (Electrostatic Wave) is longitudinal. Can you even have an ES "wave"? Is that the movement of charge or what? Who's right? Who's model is wrong?

While there are a lot of ideas/theories running around there's not enough experimenting in my opinion. I do realize you are working on a new antenna design, with the hopes of a longitudinal mode of operation, which is great. It would be nice if more people joined in and tried different approaches to experimentally prove the existence of longitudinal waves. The tough part of this task is having the proper equipment for time measurement, generation, transmission and reception of RF signals... which is very costly and hard to get.

I hope I didn't come off as dismissive, I think your work is at least giving others a place to start and could very well end up working. At any rate keep up the good work.

Comment

• Plasma Antennae

I'm not sure if this thread is dead or alive, probably somewhere in between, but I though to share an interesting find I came across today.

While looking up some reference material for another subject I came across "plasma antennas" which seems to be a really interesting and relevant subject in modern radio.

Since longitudinal ES "waves" are known to form in plasmas, why not try to use a plasma antenna in the longitudinal mode to transmit to a similar antenna? If this can be done, it would open up a new era in RF communications affecting everything from WiFi, Cell Phones & GPS to ham radio. Just a thought.

References:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_antenna

Plasma Antennas

Antenna having reconfigurable length - Markland Technologies, Inc.

Patent US1309031

Comment

• Thanks for the info guys. Seeing as some of the figures are worthless in the Forgotten Books version, I decided to give this one a try on the basis that it has the wave shapes on the front cover so it at least implies they're aware of the content, so hopefully I won't regret judging the book by its cover.

Elementary Lectures on Electric Discharges, Waves and Impulses, and Other Transients - Second Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Charles Proteus Steinmetz: Books

The Wexford College Press looks like a good choice for the other but pretty expensive so I'll order that in a few weeks. I'm not really a fan of pdfs when it comes to certain things, I don't know why but it's just nice to have the thing there instead of on a screen particularly when it comes to complicated information. Plus batteries go flat and technologies break down and tend to crash at critical moments. I'll be spending about two weeks in a tent/back of a car in south France soon so that's why I'm asking now, I'd like to take a few key books with me while I'm away from all other distractions.

Good idea Gyula but I think all those are scans of the same first edition, I'm not sure if they would be allowed to scan modern publications. Which is ironic because often the free scans can be better than the modern publications. Shame people are/were too paranoid to allow Google Books to continue, that would be perfect for knowing what to buy. Anti-piracy police strikes again, typical shoot themselves in the foot government procedure.
                              http://www.teslascientific.com/

"Knowledge is cosmic. It does not evolve or unfold in man. Man unfolds to an awareness of it. He gradually discovers it." - Walter Russell

"Once men died for Truth, but now Truth dies at the hands of men." - Manly P. Hall

Comment

• Keep it up Eric - Good job !! Keep it up !!

Comment

Working...
                                X