This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madhatter View Post
    My everyday business is designing and fabricating for various other industries, as such I utilize 3D printing. for the consumer at home there is a couple options, one decent and not to expensive is shapeways. I don't bother with master-cam anymore, just send the files to the subsequent shop and they handle the rest.
    for these R&D builds its faster and easier and cheaper to fabricate at home and when the rough prototype is working better then step it up to a machined part.

Shapeways has an interesting feature, once model is put into the site it can be shared publicly, others then can purchase as needed.
    Now that's an interesting process. I will have to study the Shapeways system further as the rates of part growth are not clear yet. It's addictive to think of the possibilties of using the 3D printing technology for rapid prototyping electro/mechanical parts.

I envy your position. Now that I have more experience with the CAD process, some nights I go into a little spiritual CAD journey; a vision quest of sorts where I get high as a kite through the creative process. I'm sure you can relate. To do this as a business, and be able to take that directly from virtual to physical with little fuss must be very rewarding creatively.
    Last edited by Geometric_Algebra; 04-22-2013, 05:50 AM. Reason: incorrectly worded my spell

Comment

• Excellent work Smokey and Geo.

Now down to business... Who would have thought that amplifying and modulating a sine wave would be such a challenge! The last few days in particular have seen more circuit configurations and modifications than the queen has seen a butler.

Failures:

VCA (IC). I'm sure there are nice ones out there, but the one I tested caused all kinds of mess. It added untold noise to the signal, and what's more it didn't work particularly well as a VCA. A decent amount of modulation resulted in distortion, attempting to reduce the distortion resulted in only the peaks having any effect, in other words hardly any modulation. The dynamic range requirement is too wide. Even with no voltage control input the carrier signal output was a filthy mess. So much for the datasheet's "Typical Applications" schematic.

All insulated/isolated pieces of metal of "substantial" size or mass in the room with the coil yielded a clear audible signal upon contact with an AV plug, and I could detect the location of all the earthed mains cables and pipes inside the walls by means of the sound. Also, during testing of this circuit my father came in from working in the garage to see if I was up to any experiments, because he was experiencing interference on the radio in the garage at around 98.something FM. Voltage across the primary during this was measured at around 3.6V peak to peak only!. The dangers of interference across a huge range with a poor oscillator/amplifier is now obvious, even with tiny amounts of input power. I think the garage radio interference was due to some sort of simulated frequency modulation due to the unstable amplifier/VCA.

This VCA among many other "typical" circuits tested, rather than modulating the amplitude as one might expect, simply caused the carrier to "follow" or "track" the amplitude/voltage of the modulator. The carrier would be of equal or constant amplitude, but following the modulator signal through using this voltage as a ground/zero to oscillate around. Although these circuits did produce an audible signal, but even if one stage seemed to work ok, connecting this into another opened another can of worms again.

Fortunately what might have been an expensive failed experiment due to unsuitable components was mostly free thanks to some free samples from Texas Instruments:

Anyway a solution was finally inspired by the VCA from a KORG MS-20, and it works surprisingly well considering its simplicity and the time spent on other things that weren't up to the job at all.

Long have I admired the awesomeness of the sound this thing is capable of producing, and now it comes to the rescue here too Modulation depth is approx 50% and decent results are possible with no distortion in the output, no noticeable "radio noise", or crazy parasitic oscillations and such unwanted mess. Although it will still need some tweaking.

Supply is +/-12V. The modulator is currently driving a second amplifier stage which brings the output voltage up to just under +/-6V with the existing component values.

Sine wave modulated 2034 kc carrier:

Amplifier output impedance = 47 ohms. 130 ohm limiting resistance in series. Voltage across primary just more than +/-2V

Modulated primary voltage:

2034 kc carrier modulated by music:

2068 kc carrier modulated by music (higher frequency as coil is unearthed for receiver testing):

Video with 3 receiving speakers powered from the transmitter through a tiny experimental receiving coil, which is approx 1.3cm diameter. Carrier frequency is 2068 kc as the coil is unearthed during these tests.

TMT With New Circuit Prototype Test Run-03 - YouTube

I got the piezo tweeters in the post on saturday. They also make a pretty decent detector with an AV plug that can be used around the coil with no contacts.
      Last edited by dR-Green; 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM.
      http://www.teslascientific.com/

"Knowledge is cosmic. It does not evolve or unfold in man. Man unfolds to an awareness of it. He gradually discovers it." - Walter Russell

"Once men died for Truth, but now Truth dies at the hands of men." - Manly P. Hall

Comment

• 2050/2050A Thyratron Tubes from Rell.com

Yesterday I requested a price quote for 20 pieces of 2050/2050A thyratron tubes from RELL (Richardsons Electronics, 2050/2050AGE - Gas-Thyratron - Electron-Tubes-Vacuum-Devices - Richardson Electronics).

The datasheet for the tubes they distribute is located here:
        http://www.rell.com/filebase/en/src/...s/20502050.pdf

They responded today with a price of $10 per part. Please message me if you would be interested in getting at least one tube using this method. I would have to include some additional shipping cost depending on your location and I still have yet to hear the shipping figure to send to my local. Two of the tubes would be sent immediately to Eric provided there is enough interest for an order which I can make in about a week.

Also, they told me the 2050 has been discontinued from production since 1990.

Comment

• Balance resistors for series connected electrolytic capacitors

See page 13 of Cornell Dubilier's "Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Application Guide" (http://www.cde.com/catalogs/AEappGUIDE.pdf) for equations related to selecting balancing resistors in series connected caps.

Comment

• @ Sputins:
            I was in the need of sheet copper couple a years ago. As you, I found it really spendy for what I wanted. I went to the local builders square and ask if they had such a thing. Well, he came out with a roll of it with a black substance coating on the back of it. Still have a lot but it was not really that much. Might be something to look into.

thay

Comment

• CIG Frame.

Originally posted by thaelin View Post
              @ Sputins:
              I was in the need of sheet copper couple a years ago. As you, I found it really spendy for what I wanted. I went to the local builders square and ask if they had such a thing. Well, he came out with a roll of it with a black substance coating on the back of it. Still have a lot but it was not really that much. Might be something to look into.

thay
              Thanks Thay, I do have a local supplier of copper sheet and strip, however the standard widths are either too thin or too thick. They do make to order but then there is a minimum order which is far to much for what I want. I might just have to make do with the standard sizes and buy some when I have the dollars.

I've nearly finished the frame for my CIG build. Here pictured is the work so far. The Secondary is divided in two, one half to be wound CW the other half CCW. Likewise for the extra coils. Between the secondaries and extras are some plastic flanges that will soon be build larger and become the adjustable capacitances. The white spoke coil forms, are collected glom, half inch diameter teflon rods. The secondary frame is 60 cm's long and 38 cm is the diameter, designed for a frequency of 2000Kcps. The extra coils are small, 14 x 14 cm. For some reason they look elongated in the photo but infact are quite square.

The next step is to finish off the varible capacitors and measure out the wire & co-ax lengths for winding plus some sort of stand to mount it all on. Then of course the primary coil circuit (underway). However I fear my progress will be slow or slower than I would like, which unfortunately cannot be avoided.

Sputins.
              Last edited by Sputins; 04-27-2013, 12:35 PM. Reason: spell not i can
              "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

• looks good,however I found something out about the push-pull setup like that. The primary coils needed spacing from each others respective plane, then the extra coils also needed to be adjusted out, the extras will vary based on the capacitance needed. the 4Mhz build I made had the two primaries about ~50mm apart, it also offered some interesting tests in putting a ground plane between them.

Comment

• Old Vibrator Circuit

Hi All , Eric released an old circuit from a Navy handbook a while back,it gave you a AC current using a vibrator type arrangement. I had been working through my files and tided up what I had started, If any body could just check over the circuit diagram I extrapolated and make sure it is fine.

I might try to build this, If anybody knows what the frequency of this unit was it would be appreciated, otherwise I will figure it out regardless(L1,L2,L3). Thanks Arto

Comment

• Primary Questions.

Originally posted by madhatter View Post
                    looks good,however I found something out about the push-pull setup like that. The primary coils needed spacing from each others respective plane, then the extra coils also needed to be adjusted out, the extras will vary based on the capacitance needed. the 4Mhz build I made had the two primaries about ~50mm apart, it also offered some interesting tests in putting a ground plane between them.
                    Thanks Madhatter.
                    The extras as they are mounted on a flange, thus they can be removed and located elsewhere, for experiments with the 'null point' between them. I.e. I believe that's what the Professor did with the galaxy in a light bulb experiments.

The Primary coil or coils, is where I have some questions, or I am uncertain as to what's going on. There is an option to build two separate primary coils one CW, the other CCW. With one of them powered the other not powered, or being the receiver. Another option is to have then both powered, but then when they have a common ground we have the two inductances of them basically cancelling each other. The other thought is to have just one primary coil; driving both half’s of the setup together, particularly if there is only a one or two turn primary coil. I am also concerned how a vacuum tube can drive such a primary coil, given it's low inductance and low resistance, without the use of added inductance or a balast resistor (but this provides a resistive leak) otherwise the current through the tube will be far too high. (A couple of 304TL's is what I have).

You raise the point of the ground plane between the two primary coils & most certainly I will construct a ground plane somewhere in the build. What interesting tests did this offer up for you? Another thought is that we have been taught by the Professor that the true "output" is the ground output of the Secondary coil(s). So this output, (the reflected standing wave(s) of the secondary / extra coils) I intend to build it so that this can be experimented with. These two outputs can be brought together through a vacuum light bulb, (to hopefully feel the pressure effect) a vacuum space or some sort of cross-like arrangement coil like a caduceus coil or a rodin coil, within a vacuum etc. The experiments here are endless.

So it has been said that the extra coil(s) establishes an artificial ground, or it's grounding to Counterspace. Also Tesla built mechanical analogs to his electrical devices. So an analogy I have in my mind, (whether it's correct or not I don’t know) which is that you are standing on a cliff and you lean over the edge to take a look, but then you overbalance and you are about to fall over the edge to your death. So what do you do? It seems you throw your arms out to the side and wildly flap them in circles.. Somehow this gives you, it seems for a brief second, something to "push against". Then if you’re lucky you manage to save yourself from falling off the edge. Perhaps this is part of what’s happening with extra coils, or at least part of an analogy.

Sputins.
                    "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

• I am a big fan of Eric. Does he actually attend this forum and if so what is his username?

Comment

• T-rex!

Originally posted by Hevus View Post
                        I am a big fan of Eric. Does he actually attend this forum and if so what is his username?
                        Hello Hevus.
                        Professor Eric Dollard goes by the username T-rex here on the Energetic Forum. There are hundreds of postings from him. However for the most part the Professor departs himself from digital technology, thus the postings are actually done by David Webster or "Web000x" here on the forum. As far as I know, Eric hand-writes the originals and then posts (mails) it off to Web000x and he then puts it up on the forum under the T-rex username.

T-rex at one point was posting almost every day and even answering some questions. Much of these postings became the recently released book: The Lone Pine Writings - A Common Language for Electrical Engineering. Although not all of them and there are some gems of postings made by T-Rex that appear here.

T-rex has not made many postings of recent times, there was only one recently. However this is quite understandable as he is no doubt very busy with the new lab and creating material to present at the up and coming Science and Technology Conference.

We'll just have to keep an eye out, perhaps he might surprise us with a posting at some point in time. Enjoy going through them as they are an amazing* series of writings that covers a period of around two years. (*To say the least)!

Sputins.

Comment

• Thanks Sput. I was watching a video with him in which someone said to him what he said was wrong because the limit was the speed of light, to which he replied "limit to what?". Anyway I loved that. Some people just recite what others say, without actual knowledge and that person was put in their place. Anyway, irrelevant at moment but felt like bringing it up

Comment

• Originally posted by Sputins View Post
                            Thanks Madhatter.
                            The extras as they are mounted on a flange, thus they can be removed and located elsewhere, for experiments with the 'null point' between them. I.e. I believe that's what the Professor did with the galaxy in a light bulb experiments.

The Primary coil or coils, is where I have some questions, or I am uncertain as to what's going on. There is an option to build two separate primary coils one CW, the other CCW. With one of them powered the other not powered, or being the receiver. Another option is to have then both powered, but then when they have a common ground we have the two inductances of them basically cancelling each other. The other thought is to have just one primary coil; driving both half’s of the setup together, particularly if there is only a one or two turn primary coil. I am also concerned how a vacuum tube can drive such a primary coil, given it's low inductance and low resistance, without the use of added inductance or a balast resistor (but this provides a resistive leak) otherwise the current through the tube will be far too high. (A couple of 304TL's is what I have).

You raise the point of the ground plane between the two primary coils & most certainly I will construct a ground plane somewhere in the build. What interesting tests did this offer up for you? Another thought is that we have been taught by the Professor that the true "output" is the ground output of the Secondary coil(s). So this output, (the reflected standing wave(s) of the secondary / extra coils) I intend to build it so that this can be experimented with. These two outputs can be brought together through a vacuum light bulb, (to hopefully feel the pressure effect) a vacuum space or some sort of cross-like arrangement coil like a caduceus coil or a rodin coil, within a vacuum etc. The experiments here are endless.

So it has been said that the extra coil(s) establishes an artificial ground, or it's grounding to Counterspace. Also Tesla built mechanical analogs to his electrical devices. So an analogy I have in my mind, (whether it's correct or not I don’t know) which is that you are standing on a cliff and you lean over the edge to take a look, but then you overbalance and you are about to fall over the edge to your death. So what do you do? It seems you throw your arms out to the side and wildly flap them in circles.. Somehow this gives you, it seems for a brief second, something to "push against". Then if you’re lucky you manage to save yourself from falling off the edge. Perhaps this is part of what’s happening with extra coils, or at least part of an analogy.

Sputins.
                            I built them as CW and CCW. I also used a single turn loop between them to power the rig, the result was a push-pull -I think. one side showed voltage while the other had no output, it was double the output of powering both primaries in parallel though.

with both in parallel it took a bit to adjust and balance, once done putting a ground plane between them did nothing, near body capacitance has more effect then anything.

going back over my notes I note the dBm and voltage of the signal and the measured values, running a quick calc on the LED's it requires a negative resistor value to light them as the setup did. need to do more testing, also need to get the signal generator fixed.

Comment

• Old Vibrator Circuit - stated frequency

Originally posted by artoj View Post
                              Hi All , Eric released an old circuit from a Navy handbook a while back,it gave you a AC current using a vibrator type arrangement. I had been working through my files and tided up what I had started, If any body could just check over the circuit diagram I extrapolated and make sure it is fine.

I might try to build this, If anybody knows what the frequency of this unit was it would be appreciated, otherwise I will figure it out regardless(L1,L2,L3). Thanks Arto

Arto

T-Rex published a simplified schematic of the PP-18/AR which has appeared on the forum in more than one place, one of them is here:
                              http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post171503

It states "RLY= D.P.D.T VIBRATOR F=100~OSC.

Watch out for some very high internal AC voltages when the relay is running.

Comment

• Final Draft

Thanks for the help Chazza , I figured that 60 Hz would have been the most useful frequency, so I used 1mH as the inductor. I did find a mistake and fixed it. Soon as I have all the bits I will build this unit. Regards Arto

Comment

Working...
                                X