No announcement yet.

Aquaponics Getting started.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand is useful because it allows for good drainage, which allows for air to then reach the roots. Because of it's size, it does not compact as much as say clay, which once compacted is difficult to decompact.

If you take a look at the Custom soil recipes post I made (http://www.energeticforum.com/agricu...ml#post141148), you'll see that sand is included in all of them.

The gardening group that I mentioned last year, has just recently restarted backup (we managed to get some funding). Before we got planting, there were 3 classes that were provided by the conservation group, who have their office onsite. The first class covered soil, what was covered was basically similar to that of the The Mittleider method. The instructor had come to the same conclusions as Mittleider did decades earlier (the soil is the most important thing (in soil based growing)).

Basically good soils contain sand, as it gives it structure, good drainage, which then leads to aeration.

If anyone has seen aeroponics, but with mist (real mist, like fog and not sprayed water), then you will see the aeration connection at the roots.
    Last edited by Savvypro; 06-05-2012, 06:45 PM.

. . .
    Regular service Signature:
    Follow along on my Algae growing adventure, where I'm currently growing Spirulina and two mystery strains (one of which can also produce Biofuel). All is revealed in the Growing Algae thread...

Comment

• RE: Sand.

Originally posted by Cherryman View Post
      Hi Mart,

The sand grow still has me thinking...

Sand has no (known) nutricions, maybe a few minerals, but they release very very slow.

If you used AP water, I understand where the nutricions come from
      If you used rainwater.. I guess the plant itself provided the grow energy, helped by the water ofcourse.

What is with the plastic bag?? I do not understand.

I do think the sand structure makes it also easier for oxygen to reach the roots, because wet compost is to dense.

Also I did a small video update:

Aquaponics Update june 2012 - YouTube
      RE: Sand.

Savypro has brought up great points about sand and how it helps. The main target I have with the sand is to get the roots started. It may be a very good thing that there are not much nutrients in the sand because that spurs the growth of the roots seeking the nutrients.

RE: why plastic bag ?

One of the things that kills cuttings is that they have no roots to provide moisture to the leaves. The plastic helps keep the leaves very humid so they will have good enough conditions to start more roots.

I am now testing a new method, In the aquaponics I have taken a clear plastic pan and turning it upside down, I put it over the cuttings. I am thinking this should server the same purpose of keeping the leaves moist.

I am very happy that now I am getting more and more stevia plants propagating with the sand method, after they get roots, I am moving the plants to the aquaponics.

I love Stevia, and I am combining it with lemon grass with C02 to make my own soda drink. Life is good!

Mart
      See my experiments here...
      http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

• Newest update.

Aquaponics / Garden / Tour - YouTube

Tour around my place.

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

• Experimenting with deepwater culture

Deep Water culture Aquaponics Talipia Tour - YouTube

So much easier not having rocks in the grow beds.

Think I will try to expand this type of method.

Comment

• As always Mart a joy to watch thanks for these man

Ash

Comment

• Open Source Aquaponics Promo Video

Hey Guys (and gals),

Here's a promo video I whipped together regarding my aquaponics project...

Open Source Aquaponics - YouTube

If you're interested in learning more, go here...

Open Source Aquaponics ~ Reconnecting with Food

Peace all!
              ~ Golden Mean

If you're interested in healthy living, please check out my site on aquaponics... www.opensourceaquaponics.com
              I also have various videos on the new paradigm unfolding on My YouTube Channel

"Giving with ANY expectation isn't giving... it's bartering."

Comment

• Open source setup.

Originally posted by Golden Mean View Post
                Hey Guys (and gals),

If you're interested in learning more, go here...

Open Source Aquaponics ~ Reconnecting with Food

Hi Golden,

Looks like you like frogs :-) Looks to be a very sturdy setup with some art mixed in.

Love open source so good to share in a community that we can all do our part to make it just a little bit better.

I have just started some golden berries, hope to get them growing as they are sooo good for you.

Cheers!

Comment

• From a marketing perspective getting more people to enjoy the taste of aquaponic varieties DIY Aquaponics: What kind of fish to raise?
                  this will take time to help people to discover this is really
                  healthy and sustainable just all around a great thing !
                  Not sure how to help people to see the vision ?

Comment

• Ive been running an aquaponic system for a while, I only use it for fresh good food but I like your findings golden mean.

Comment

• Here is a talk I am about to give that I put on youtube.

My Aquaponics Talk - YouTube

Short 15 min .. Did this in preparation of the real talk :-)

Comment

• At last, now have baby talipia ( Fry )

Setup a breeding tank and at last a good batch of baby fish!

Comment

Working...
                        X