Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquaponics Getting started.

YouTube - 105 Drip Irrigation Aquaponics Vermiculture.wmv

Just got the parts for the aquaponics system together. Just put in two plants today, and I also put in short snips of earthworm bins, and the results of the gravity fed drip irrigation.

I should have the duckweed in next week so I can grow food for the fish.

Now that I have it setup I am going to relax, it was a big hassle getting all the parts in place, now looking forward to see what happens with the plants.
    Last edited by theremart; 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM.
    See my experiments here...
    http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Update.

Have increased my setup big time!

YouTube - 106 Aquaponics New Setup.wmv

I am so glad the setup is complete time to sit back and enjoy!

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

Mart, by far the best project have ever seen you do man.

Aquaponics is organic, makes use of the water where all other systems waste the water plus grows the quickest, is there any reason why food security through Aquaponics for health and conserving water is not practical? NO.

I suggest checking the PH of the water once per week and not to feed the fish to much to begin with (always keep a record of the best PH balance for fish food given in weight and size of fish etc) you prob know all this already Have just completed a 2 DVD course in Aquaponics was going to do course for the Uni site on it very soon, Mart drop me an email if you want a heads up on some info.

Now also did i mention the fresh water fish is the cheapest per food you feed them to their gain in body weight? Yes Aquaponiucs for food security is VERY underrated.

You can grow your own food for the fish, Duck weed is good you can freeze it too if you have too much. You prob know all this already Mart ,
      We just need a good renewable energy soure for that 24 hour pump, are you running a backup pump?

beautiful to watch you work my friend.
      sincerley
      Ash

Comment

Thanks Ash,

Thanks for the encouragement Ash, I have learned much it has been hard work, but I am very excited about what this will do when the weather warms back up. Getting cooler now, but at least the hardest part is done.

Pump is running on solar :-) 25 watt bilge pump has been running 24/7 for about 3 weeks. Had a few cloudy days, but solar still had enough reserve in batteries to keep it going.

Duckweed is growing in 3 tanks, fish also supplemented with my worm bin thanks for the tip. Also plenty of algae growth so since there are only 5 fish and 6 minnows in the 225 gallon tank plenty of room to expand once the plants kick in.

I have found some of the best Aquaponic info is from Aussie land that I have seen the best guys go there to learn. Also yahoo groups and a bizzillan youtube videos.

PH is being monitored found that best range is 6.2 - 6.4 to grow plants better 7.0 to keep fish happy. I choose to keep plants happy :-)

I have a backup pump on standby. Tested 2nd set of solar charged batteries as working yesterday so all set. for backup If both sets fail I guess I can always use the grid :-)

Originally posted by ashtweth View Post
        Mart, by far the best project have ever seen you do man.

Aquaponics is organic, makes use of the water where all other systems waste the water plus grows the quickest, is there any reason why food security through Aquaponics for health and conserving water is not practical? NO.

I suggest checking the PH of the water once per week and not to feed the fish to much to begin with (always keep a record of the best PH balance for fish food given in weight and size of fish etc) you prob know all this already Have just completed a 2 DVD course in Aquaponics was going to do course for the Uni site on it very soon, Mart drop me an email if you want a heads up on some info.

Now also did i mention the fresh water fish is the cheapest per food you feed them to their gain in body weight? Yes Aquaponiucs for food security is VERY underrated.

You can grow your own food for the fish, Duck weed is good you can freeze it too if you have too much. You prob know all this already Mart ,
        We just need a good renewable energy soure for that 24 hour pump, are you running a backup pump?

beautiful to watch you work my friend.
        sincerley
        Ash

Comment

Mart check out these guys grow in winter!
          1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost
          YouTube - 1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost

Comment

RE: check this out..

Mart check out these guys grow in winter!
            1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost
            YouTube - 1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost
            Yes I have seen this video.

What really impressed me is they were using the heat of compost to heat the greenhouses. A really top notch setup.

A green house may be in the future for me, but for now I will try to see how far row cover gets me.

Comment

Growing Power

Ash,

Very nice! Here is there homepage:
              Growing Power

They also have 2 day trainings for $350. That's a drop in
              the bucket for the full info on the whole system. That is
              definitely a winning model.

Mart - I also like the heat from compost, nice and simple.
              Sincerely,
              Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
              Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
              RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

Aaron drop me a mail Bro if you need this info

Ash

Comment

More progress both good and bad.

Well, first the bad news.

I lost 6 large bluegills they went to fertilize other plants so not a total loss.

Now the good news,

I was able to catch 3 more bluegills adult size, and about 5 minnows so back in business.

I have found that cycling out the water is more effective than filtering the water. The BIG bonus here is that this water is awesome for my self watering containers. The plants really turned green after I cycled out a large portion of the water.

At last! I now have lettuce grown from seed in the grow beds. I saw a video of a guy on youtube who said he just tossed the seeds in, and they grew, sure enough tossing in the seeds I now have lettuce growing in rock!

The plants are doing well, the cuttings of tomato, oregano have started in well, I am noticing the father away from the water source it seems the less nutrients the plants are getting in the grow beds. Not sure of that but seems to be the case.

It is so cool to see red worms living in the rock grow beds. Just amazing they do so well there.

Cheers

Comment

Nice run through on your vids mart. Your aquaponics system is very interesting stuff, I like it.

Comment

Mart yep the best advice i had was take out 3 portions of the total of water and re combine,dont worry you will get there my friend

Comment

RE: Nice

Originally posted by screaminvern View Post
                        Nice run through on your vids mart. Your aquaponics system is very interesting stuff, I like it.
                        Thanks Screaminvern,

Comment

RE: change out the water.

Mart yep the best advice i had was take out 3 portions of the total of water and re combine,dont worry you will get there my friend

Yes, this is what I did.

Of since I have found when you first start a system it is best to have no fish in the system. It can be done with fish in the system but it stresses the fish out.

Here is some great reading on how to start a setup and it will kill much less fish. Fishless cycling of the bacteria seems to be the fastest way to get up and going.

-->

Aquaponics System Startup Using Fishless Cycling | The Aquaponic Gardening Blog

Comment

Update on Aquaponics colder weather...

YouTube - 107 Frost damage row covers Aqauponics

New plants comming up and dealing with frost.

Comment

Originally posted by theremart View Post
                              Yes, this is what I did.

Of since I have found when you first start a system it is best to have no fish in the system. It can be done with fish in the system but it stresses the fish out.

Here is some great reading on how to start a setup and it will kill much less fish. Fishless cycling of the bacteria seems to be the fastest way to get up and going.

-->

Aquaponics System Startup Using Fishless Cycling | The Aquaponic Gardening Blog
                              Actualy the best way to start a system (in terms of minimizing fish lives lost) is the "El Natural" by Diana Walstad which she describes in her book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium (http://www.amazon.com/Ecology-Plante...dp/0967377315).

Basically it's the use of lots and lots of plants, to take the load while the Nitrogen cycle bacteria take root. You can also add fish from the start with out having to wait - but only do so if you know what your doing and have a good ratio that will allow for it.

How you would do it in a new aquaponics system could prove a bit difficult, unless you use underwater plants to start the system off and as the system gets going - you start removing some of the plants and allow your crops to take over.

. . .
                              Regular service Signature:
                              Follow along on my Algae growing adventure, where I'm currently growing Spirulina and two mystery strains (one of which can also produce Biofuel). All is revealed in the Growing Algae thread...

Comment

Working...
                              X