Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: method of starting Aquaponics.

Originally posted by Savvypro View Post
    Actualy the best way to start a system (in terms of minimizing fish lives lost) is the "El Natural" by Diana Walstad which she describes in her book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium (http://www.amazon.com/Ecology-Plante...dp/0967377315).

Basically it's the use of lots and lots of plants, to take the load while the Nitrogen cycle bacteria take root. You can also add fish from the start with out having to wait - but only do so if you know what your doing and have a good ratio that will allow for it.

How you would do it in a new aquaponics system could prove a bit difficult, unless you use underwater plants to start the system off and as the system gets going - you start removing some of the plants and allow your crops to take over.
    Hi Savvypro

Thanks for the tips, do you have an aquaponics setup?

I am wondering on a new setup how would one get the plants started...

I know one of the members of the aquaponics group I belong to used this method as the plants balance the system.

Love to know more about your experience with aquaponics.

Cheers
    See my experiments here...
    http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

What a deal!

Today I got 3 275 gallon food grade IBC containers delivered for $220, with cages!

Looking forward to expanding my grow beds.

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

Update, progress so far..

YouTube - 108 Aquaponic expansion update testing of small pump solar powered array.wmv

I like how the lettuce has grown, and cabbage is new to me so looking forward to growing more plants in rock! :-)

Nice it is all solar powered. Expansion is planned.

Comment

Originally posted by theremart View Post
          Hi Savvypro

Thanks for the tips, do you have an aquaponics setup?

I am wondering on a new setup how would one get the plants started...

I know one of the members of the aquaponics group I belong to used this method as the plants balance the system.

Love to know more about your experience with aquaponics.

Cheers

@Theremart

I don't have an aquaponics setup yet (no space), but what I have in mind when I get the opportunity to build. Would be along the same lines as you with the IBC containers.

The one thing I would add is insulation and placing it inside say a double lined poly tunnel - basically a greenhouse aquaponics setup. For my location it would be the only way to extend the growing season. I’m also thinking of trying out a pyramid green house setup (keeping all the wires, electricals etc. outside of the pyramid as they seam to be effected badly when placed inside).

I like the setup as shown in the "1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres" vid, especially how they sunk the fish pond/tank into the ground. I would look to see about maybe placing some return tubing, say 5 Ft under ground below the frost line, so as to take advantage of the constant ground temp. In a geothermal heating type setup, the less heat I have to pay for, to add - the better.

On a new setup I wouldn’t do the whole “El Natural” setup as Diana Wasted describes. Simply because the El Natural plants will be competing against the food plants which is what you don’t want. Plus her method is more for in door aquarium fish keeping. But the kicker is getting the soil substrate just right, for an aquaponics setup you’ll just be wasting your time. The thing to take away from the “El Natural” way is that plants do not need to wait for the nitrogen cycle to complete in order to start feeding on the fish waste. Plus the heavy use of plants to fish ratio - which is the key to save your self from using chemicals (which don’t always work) or from killing fish in the setup process.

My plan is to basically use a weed type plant (by weed type plant, I mean something that grows really fast and can just be pulled out with ease). Things like: hornwort, Cabomba caroliniana, Anacharis (Egeria densa) and possibly a floating one like Water Lettuce.

Duck weed could be used, but be warned - once it’s in you many never get it out.

I’d load up the fish stock slowly, allowing the weed plants to start processing the waste and taking the load while the food plants get established. And as they start growing, I'd start removing the weed plants.

Maybe putting them into tank, which happens to be the last stage before the water returns to the fish tank(s). That way I'd always have the weed plants on hand and wouldn't have to continually be forking out for them. Plus they would act as a buffer, in case something goes wrong.

. . .
          Regular service Signature:
          Follow along on my Algae growing adventure, where I'm currently growing Spirulina and two mystery strains (one of which can also produce Biofuel). All is revealed in the Growing Algae thread...

Comment

@Theremart

I don't have an aquaponics setup yet (no space), but what I have in mind when I get the opportunity to build. Would be along the same lines as you with the IBC containers.

The one thing I would add is insulation and placing it inside say a double lined poly tunnel - basically a greenhouse aquaponics setup. For my location it would be the only way to extend the growing season. I’m also thinking of trying out a pyramid green house setup (keeping all the wires, electricals etc. outside of the pyramid as they seam to be effected badly when placed inside).

I like the setup as shown in the "1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres" vid, especially how they sunk the fish pond/tank into the ground. I would look to see about maybe placing some return tubing, say 5 Ft under ground below the frost line, so as to take advantage of the constant ground temp. In a geothermal heating type setup, the less heat I have to pay for, to add - the better.

On a new setup I wouldn’t do the whole “El Natural” setup as Diana Wasted describes. Simply because the El Natural plants will be competing against the food plants which is what you don’t want. Plus her method is more for in door aquarium fish keeping. But the kicker is getting the soil substrate just right, for an aquaponics setup you’ll just be wasting your time. The thing to take away from the “El Natural” way is that plants do not need to wait for the nitrogen cycle to complete in order to start feeding on the fish waste. Plus the heavy use of plants to fish ratio - which is the key to save your self from using chemicals (which don’t always work) or from killing fish in the setup process.

My plan is to basically use a weed type plant (by weed type plant, I mean something that grows really fast and can just be pulled out with ease). Things like: hornwort, Cabomba caroliniana, Anacharis (Egeria densa) and possibly a floating one like Water Lettuce.

Duck weed could be used, but be warned - once it’s in you many never get it out.

I’d load up the fish stock slowly, allowing the weed plants to start processing the waste and taking the load while the food plants get established. And as they start growing, I'd start removing the weed plants.

Maybe putting them into tank, which happens to be the last stage before the water returns to the fish tank(s). That way I'd always have the weed plants on hand and wouldn't have to continually be forking out for them. Plus they would act as a buffer, in case something goes wrong.
            Hi,

Looks like you have a lot of good ideas going there. I think Grow Power is a great place to get ideas from as they have a very productive system.

I choose IBC because they were for me cheap and handy, I tried to get food grade barrels for the barrelponic setup but could not find any handy.

A greenhouse of some type or Polytunnel might be where I am going as well once i have proven to myself this method is viable for my needs.

I also have been working with what is normally called weeds,

YouTube - Miscanthus can meet U.S. biofuels goal using less land than corn or switchgrass

This is a non invasive plant that has high yields for alcohol.

I think you would like the book "One Straw Revolution" this guy thinks in the terms you mention of going with the flow of nature instead of against it.

Cheers!

Mart

Comment

any ideas where to get IBC? I have been calling everywhere i could think of.

Comment

Mart,

No problems, also thanks for the Miscanthus link - first time I've heard of it. The same goes for the book heads up.

On the weed plants, it's mainly for the establishment of the system (as well as for expansion) - to allow time for the nitrogen cycle bacteria to take hold. In this case they (the nitrogen cycle bacteria) would actually be a backup to the backup (the weed plants) of the primary - which is the food plants.

I’m not sure how Miscanthus could be used for this task (in an aquaponics setup) - unless you used already established plants - and not growing from seed. The whole point is to be able to add fish almost right from the start. Instead of having to wait a couple of week’s to a month for the first few fish and then months before you have added all your fish.

The “El Natural” way allows you to fully stock a system almost from the start. But as I said in my previous post, it’s mainly for in door aquarium fish keeping. Having said that the main principles that I listed still apply for aquaponics (I forgot to mention that it's a low tech and low maintenance way as well). Even more so because of one very large twist: being that the plants are to be feed by the fish waist. So the more fish the better (to an extent, or just add more weed plants to take up the slack).

I like the IBC’s because they are large, the larger the volume of water - the smaller the effect a change has on the whole system - but more importantly on the fish. Especially if they are also to be a food source as well.

Most of the things I would include have come from the time I kept fish (hobby in door aquariums). I looked at how marine systems were setup, how Koy systems were setup and so on even though I only kept freshwater systems. Although a lot of things couldn't be used - because the priorities are completely different, but there are things which can e.g.: the “El Natural” way as I stated in these two posts.

. . .
                Follow along on my Algae growing adventure, where I'm currently growing Spirulina and two mystery strains (one of which can also produce Biofuel). All is revealed in the Growing Algae thread...

Comment

solar cell output...

Mart,

I forgot to add in my post yesterday about the output of the solar cells.

What’s the angle on the cells. The roof angle may not be optimal for the time of year.

. . .

Comment

Re: Ibc

Originally posted by caseyhalone View Post
                    any ideas where to get IBC? I have been calling everywhere i could think of.

For those who don't know IBC = Internation Bulk Container, but where to find them? I found them on Ebay, that can be easy, but the hard part is finding them food grade. Food processing places is the way to go, or... if the IBC is not available, then make a frame and use pond liner for your tank / grow bed. Some have used tarps but you must be very careful not to puncture them.

Again I used IBC simply because it was handy. Other ideas is to use old water storage tanks, or goto farm stores and get the heavy duty horse tanks.

Highly recommend joining an aquaponics group in your area so you can find / share your findings.

Cheers

Comment

RE: angle

Mart,

I forgot to add in my post yesterday about the output of the solar cells.

What’s the angle on the cells. The roof angle may not be optimal for the time of year.
                      The angle is very wrong for the panels, which also would explain the results. I am very happy with the layout, and my batteries still get charged to do what I want to do, so I am not complaining, just making observations, and improving where I can. But over all I am happy with the results.

I love solar panels once you put them up no more maintenance, on them like a wind generator. Just maintain the batteries. I will know much more in the months to come.

Peace

Comment

While doing some Algae growing research I cam across a company which listed one of their projects as being an aquaponics + Spirulina growing system.

Their setup looks like a normal aquaponics one, with the difference being that they grow the Spirulina for the purpose of feeding the fish. They don't share that much detail on the system as they have a book for sale.

Having a separate tank for Spirulina would be the best option otherwise the Spirulina and the plants would be competing for the name nutrients.

Having the Spirulina in it's own tank would allow it to be kept at a high ph, which only Spirulina can live in - so no contamination by other algae. To feed it you could do that same thing as Cyanotech (who grow the Hawaiian Spirulina being sold in health food stores), see my algae thread: http://www.energeticforum.com/agricu...ing-algae.html for how they grow their Spirulina.

I like this aquaponics + Spirulina growing method as its a more complete bio system. By using the seawater or sea minerals method you can cut the need for most fertiliser additives. Thus reducing cost.

. . .

Comment

Moving right along.

YouTube - 109 Expansion of aquaponics update.wmv

More steps toward my goal of growing 1/3 of my own food.

Very happy with the growth of the plants in January.

Comment

RE: algae and aquaponics.

While doing some Algae growing research I cam across a company which listed one of their projects as being an aquaponics + Spirulina growing system.

Their setup looks like a normal aquaponics one, with the difference being that they grow the Spirulina for the purpose of feeding the fish. They don't share that much detail on the system as they have a book for sale.

Having a separate tank for Spirulina would be the best option otherwise the Spirulina and the plants would be competing for the name nutrients.

Having the Spirulina in it's own tank would allow it to be kept at a high ph, which only Spirulina can live in - so no contamination by other algae. To feed it you could do that same thing as Cyanotech (who grow the Hawaiian Spirulina being sold in health food stores), see my algae thread: http://www.energeticforum.com/agricu...ing-algae.html for how they grow their Spirulina.

I like this aquaponics + Spirulina growing method as its a more complete bio system. By using the seawater or sea minerals method you can cut the need for most fertiliser additives. Thus reducing cost.
                            There are so many ways to go with aquaponics, the sky is the limit. The trick is keeping the balance for the fish and the plants and the micro organisms.

I am also on a algae group of Yahoo, and it seems to grow very well on screens that I allow the fish water to run over.

If you find more info about growing Spirulina with aquaponics let me know please, I am looking for more methods of growing the food the fish need.

Comment

Originally posted by theremart View Post
                              There are so many ways to go with aquaponics, the sky is the limit. The trick is keeping the balance for the fish and the plants and the micro organisms.

I am also on a algae group of Yahoo, and it seems to grow very well on screens that I allow the fish water to run over.

If you find more info about growing Spirulina with aquaponics let me know please, I am looking for more methods of growing the food the fish need.
                              Will do on the info, although I'm starting to think that the method I stated in my previous post, is as simple as it gets. By keeping the Spirulina in it's own tank, you can grow it at a high pH. You'll then have a food source which humans and fish can eat.

In my algae thread I link to a paper which covers the use of human urine, and synthetic human urine for growing Spirulina on space missions. It could be adapted for use in an aquaponics setup... completing the food cycle - well, almost.

. . .

Comment

RE: Own tank..

The problem with Spirulina is it competes for the same nutrients that plants needs.

A separate tank may be the answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X