My garden is under way...rock dust, biochar, fungi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My garden is under way...rock dust, biochar, fungi

Well thanks to all the people on here who research and dig and bring information here I was able to learn enough to get a very nice garden going this season.

It's my first garden because it's the first year I've had the space to do one.

I have some pictures showing the comparison of normal dirt that's been ammended with aged manure for the past 30 years or more, and has most likely had chemical fertilizers added from time to time.

Then in my raised bed I have a mixture of coco fiber, vermiculite, aged manure, biochar, rock dust, and mycorrhizal fungi.

The plants are pictures of cabbage starts bought from a local greenhouse. They were the same size when bought. But the pictures of the smaller ones in the regular dirt were planted a week earlier than my raised bed. So they had a jump start to get going. But that extra week didn't help em.

Now lets see if I can get these pictures linked over. If not I'll add a link to another post I made on another forum. I know I can't upload the photos cus I've tried that before and I just tried it again. But I thought I could somehow just put in a link of a photo that was already on the internet. I'm gonna post this before I lose it, then I'll try to figure out this picture thing.

("hmmm, I dunno. I can get the pictures in here now, but they're HUGE.")

Oh I figured I may mention a neat recipe I think I saw on journeytoforever.org called the everlasting fencepost. It's what I used on my raised bed frames so they wouldn't rot. Take some of your biochar and crush it as much as possible. The more powder the better. Then add it to boiled linseed oil. And use that to paint your wood frames. I added enough biochar to the oil so it was nice and dark when painted on.
    Last edited by wantfreeenergy; 06-25-2010, 11:35 PM.
    If you've made it this far then I've finally quit rambling.

hmmm. I see that my pictures aren't showing up now. They worked when I first posted em, but I'm guessing it's because I was logged into my account on the other forum from where I copied em from.

Is there another way to upload photos.

Them photos are pretty neat to see the growth comparison. And their even bigger just a few days later.

Imageshack - dsc0445iv.jpg
    Imageshack - dsc0447w.jpg
    Imageshack - dsc0448k.jpg
    Imageshack - dsc0449th.jpg

Well, there are the links anyway.
    Last edited by wantfreeenergy; 06-25-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Biochar

I also just started experimenting with biochar in my tomato garden.
      Did you work it into the soil, or did you just spread it on top?

I mixed rock dust (Azomite) manure, some coco fiber, biochar, and a small amount of sea salt for a few extra minerals.

So far so good, the plants are growing very fast.
      Hoping for the best.
      Last edited by JD99; 06-28-2010, 04:03 AM.

Comment

I worked the biochar into the soil. I made a mix and then filled some raised beds so I just mixed everything together at once.

But I have read of people just spreading it on top of the soil. And if I recall correctly, the smaller the particles then the more effective it is when spreading it on top.?.?

I couldn't really smash the char I made into very small particles. They average the size of a quarter.

But I was wanting to add it to my grandma's lawn so she could quit having the chemical truck come and spray on them chemicals. "To no avail". But anyway Aaron mentioned that if he were to add it to the lawn that he would lay it down and then run the lawn mower over it to really smash up that char. Just make sure there are no large chunks of wood in it still.

But honestly I don't know much about just spreading it on top of the soil.

But, the rock dust I have been spreading around on top of the soil around all the fruit trees. I e-mailed someone from, REMINERALIZE THE EARTH - Home , and that person told me it still works pretty good as just a top dressing. She also said that I could use it in my compost teas or just dilute it in to water and use it as a foliar spray.

Them cabbage plants have taken off since I took those last pictures. They are lovin it.

Comment

I have already done experimenting with Biochar in my tomato garden.I also maintained the temperature below 35 degree. Tomatoes grew very fast and they are were healthy for a long time.

irrigation systems design

Comment

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Can you suggest some plants pictures of your garden.
            organic gardening:A healthier away to life...!

Comment

Working...
            X