This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LifePo4

LifePo4 batteries, because they accept the charge so much better than a standard battery seem to charge just fine with a stock motor running between them. So they seem to take the charge at ANY frequency and charge even without the higher voltage. SO FAR By higher voltage I mean two sides with different voltages will equalize without the losses to impedance you see in lead acid batteries, so it LOOKS like you don’t always have to have 2.5 volts over the battery standing voltage to get it to charge correctly.

I only have one LifePo4 12 volt battery. But it is composed of 6 two volt cells. This lets me run a three battery system using four cells on one side for 8 volts and two cells on the other side for 4 volts, which gives me a 4 volt potential difference I can run a VERY small dc motor on. Because of their cost, I wanted to invest a little time playing with them before spending the money on several batteries. So far I really like what I see.
    Last edited by Turion; 05-25-2019, 06:06 PM.
    “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
    —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• LiFePO4

Originally posted by Turion View Post
      I only have one LifePo4 12 volt battery. But it is composed of 6 two volt cells. This lets me run a three battery system using four cells on one side for 8 volts and two cells on the other side for 4 volts, which gives me a 4 volt potential difference I can run a VERY small dc motor on. Because of their cost, I wanted to invest a little time playing with them before spending the money on several batteries. So far I really like what I see.
      LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) cells are considered to operate with a nominal voltage of 3.2 V/cell. Recommend end of charge is 3.65 V/cell. Typically 4 of these cells are used in series for a 12 V battery when replacing 12V lead acid batteries.

They shouldn't be allowed to discharge below 2.0 V/cell. Of the various types of Lithium Ion cells, LiFePO4 is about the safest, but also perhaps one of the most difficult to properly manage in multicell batteries. They can easily be damaged and rendered useless, and occasionally catch fire. I've seen a few incidents.

Be careful. Have a bucket 1/3 full of sand for a smoking or flaming cell. You can't put a Lithium fire out, but you can save your house.

bi

Comment

• LifePo4

That may be typical, but it is not what I have. As you can see from the photo, six cells, not four, so the voltages per cell are different from your specs.

Good thought about the sand. I have a bag I will designate just for that purpose and put it in a five gallon plastic bucket to make using it easier.

On another note, I got six coils wound so far for my generator. Was going to adapt my coil tester, but realized it only has six 1” magnets on the rotor. So I will have to find all the pieces for my other machine. With that in mind, I am driving into the city on Thursday to pick up a new base plate and four pieces of plastic for the bearing mount that I simply cannot find. With six coils I should be able to show COP>1 by a long ways and as I get more coils wound and put in place the output will just go up while the input remains fairly constant. The machine I am putting together only holds 10 coils instead of the 12 my big machine holds, but that machine is in Santa Clara at my machinist having some things tweaked, and then over to an independent lab for testing. What I am putting together should still put out between 1600-1700 watts. That will have to do. That should be enough to prove the bigger one Dora’s what I say it will do.
        “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”

Comment

• No photo

That may be typical, but it is not what I have. As you can see from the photo, six cells, not four, so the voltages per cell are different from your specs. ...
          Interesting. I see no photo. Please post it or link to a spec/sales page for your battery. Thanks. bi

Comment

• Ohoto

Here is the photo. This picture is when I first took it apart and realized I would have to remove all the electronics to use it in the single battery circuit I showed here. Right now it is broken down even further. But at least this shows it is made up of six cells as I said. Got it on Amazon. Don’t believe anything there indicated six cells.
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BH...b_b_asin_title

I have to say bi, this is why you drive me crazy. I have this battery sitting in front of me. I KNOW it is six cells, yet you come here and quote something out of some book and base all your opinions on that rather than what is actually on the bench. Have you been lied to all your life so you can’t trust anything anybody says? Why would I bother to lie about how many cells my battery has, or is it that you just can’t wrap your head around the fact that things can be different from something you read somewhere?

And by the way, MOST of the LifePo4 batteries you see for sale on line are in the shape of a rectangle, not a square, which leads me to believe they have more cells in one direction than the other. In other words I would tend to believe MOST of the ones for sale are composed of six cells, unless, of course, they are square in shape.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Turion; 05-26-2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• 6 cells not

Here is the photo. This picture is when I first took it apart and realized I would have to remove all the electronics to use it in the single battery circuit I showed here. Right now it is broken down even further. But at least this shows it is made up of six cells as I said. Got it on Amazon. Don’t believe anything there indicated six cells.
              https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BH...b_b_asin_title

I have to say bi, this is why you drive me crazy. I have this battery sitting in front of me. I KNOW it is six cells, yet you come here and quote something out of some book and base all your opinions on that rather than what is actually on the bench. Have you been lied to all your life so you can’t trust anything anybody says? Why would I bother to lie about how many cells my battery has, or is it that you just can’t wrap your head around the fact that things can be different from something you read somewhere?
              Hi Turion,

Thanks for posting the photo.

What you have is a 12 cell battery in a 3p4s configuration, meaning 3 cells in parallel and 4 of those wired in series. Likely consisting of standard 26650 cells, 26mm dia x 65mm long. Functionally behaving as a 4 in series battery but at 3 times the capacity of a single cell.

You can clearly see, in the photo, bus bars spot welded to the ends of 3 cells on the positive putting those 3 cells in parallel and similarly, on the negative.

Regards,

bi

edit: You said
              quote something out of some book
              . I didn't quote anything. I stated fact that I have learned from years of study and hands-on experience. When I do quote someone, I try to always indicate such.
              Last edited by bistander; 05-26-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Men

I understand this, one knows and so does the other.
                One shows but another doubts.
                I think well of both of you enough to write this.
                Sharing is caring and knife hand or knife mouth,
                just Nazi’s up everything.
                No accusations from me, I learn from youse guys!
                Now, if there are any questions for the builder, please raise your hand!

The battery in question, what exactly is its possible uses besides being a battery that can be charged or not?
                The electronics inside, is it simple cap stuff?
                Thank youse guys!

Comment

• Cells

I was considering each “stack” as a cell. Once again terminology is an issue. When I took that battery all apart, I ended up with two in series plus two in series, connected in parallel for 6+ volts.

Then four in series plus four in series connected in parallel for 12+ volts. Yes, there are twelve cells. You want to say four groups of three. I put them together differently so I could get the potential I wanted. I left them in six stacks of two, connected in series. Since there were six stacks, I assumed each cell was two volts because I didn’t pay much attention to the way they were connected. After all, I was tearing them apart. Now that I actually measure them I see the voltage is a little over 3 volts per cell.

So I have a 6 volt potential difference to work with using them the way I am. Enough to run the razor scooter motor slowly.

Comment

• Info

The 12 volt, 7.2 amp high discharge rate hour LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery is designed to be a drop in replacement for standard sealed lead acid batteries in UPS, alarm, and other similar applications
                    Quote from Amazon link provided by Turion. And the electronics packaged in the battery is the BMS, Battery Management System. You'd be hard pressed to find a commercial product with Lithium battery which doesn't have a BMS or sometimes called a PCM, from cell phones to power tools to electric cars. The BMS protects the Lithium cells from overcharge and undercharge and also equalizes the cells, as well as often communicating with the charger, other batteries or the operating system. BMSs can range from basic (somewhat simple) to very complex.

bi

Comment

• Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...7&v=ludLU4_6ZD

werjefelt
                      Magnetic neutralization

Comment

• Turion, thanks for all your continued research and work. Link for the video in your last post says "video unavailable".
                        There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

• I would suggest using the 18650 3.7 volt Lion batts that have the attached button. This will allow you to charge them correctly and to also shut them down if they fall below the safe level. A bit spendy but worth it in safety. This addon may be the thing that saves you from a fire. In addition to not being able to put them out, the fumes from it are also very toxic. Just not something you want to be closed in with. Great W/kg rating but dangerous if not used in the prescribed way. This is never going to be a safe way. Vent the bat pack outside and in a fire proof container for your peace of mind.

T, you are a never ending source of info and ideas. Keep up the good work. I follow you close.

Comment

• Coils

wizard,
                            Sorry, the owner took it down. Was good info.

Here is a video on coils I did this morning trying to explain for those who still do not understand.
                            https://youtu.be/eiJqLo0XY84

Comment

• Ferrite Core

Hi Turion,

As you have explained regarding the different types of core materials being different in their ability and time to take up magnetism and become magnetic. Have you ever successfully used ferrite and been able to produce the speed up effect?

Comment

• Cores

I have enough ferrite powder of the required kind to do an entire set of coils as well as Metglass for same. Have NOT tested them yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X