X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference...

Aaron,

I don't know how to find it, but I remember a video that John did showing the 3 Battery setup with flashlight batteries and a resister between the positives. He started out talking about how he could get something more out of a single battery by using his keys to connect to the bottom of the battery a key and slap the top terminal with another key. He showed gains.

He also talked about farmers with low batteries on their tractors who would unhook one terminal and slap it with the terminal connector to make sparks that would raise the voltage to where they could start the tractor.

I heard it all from John for the first time. He talked about running a motor between the positives and charging the batteries. Also, he said that some engineers figured out that the motor as a load wasn't significant and replaced is with a light bulb. We have found that pulsed loads are significantly better, I like to run pulse chargers, pulse motors, boost converters, energizers, etc...anything that is not a constant load.

Good luck,

Bob

Comment

• One of my USB data loggers came in today and seems to work pretty well. Here is a short test:

I had one of theses a few years ago and really liked it.

-Altrez

Comment

• Originally posted by BobFrench View Post
        Aaron,

I don't know how to find it, but I remember a video that John did showing the 3 Battery setup with flashlight batteries and a resister between the positives. He started out talking about how he could get something more out of a single battery by using his keys to connect to the bottom of the battery a key and slap the top terminal with another key. He showed gains.

He also talked about farmers with low batteries on their tractors who would unhook one terminal and slap it with the terminal connector to make sparks that would raise the voltage to where they could start the tractor.

I heard it all from John for the first time. He talked about running a motor between the positives and charging the batteries. Also, he said that some engineers figured out that the motor as a load wasn't significant and replaced is with a light bulb. We have found that pulsed loads are significantly better, I like to run pulse chargers, pulse motors, boost converters, energizers, etc...anything that is not a constant load.

Good luck,

Bob
        Hello Bob,

That video I think was from one of the Energy from the Vacuum DvD's

ENERGY FROM THE VACUUM

I am not sure witch one but I remember watching it and thinking that's pretty cool.

-Altrez

Comment

• Development.

When I was a youngster the transfer resistor hadn't been developed into use
          in consumer products.
          Our wireless had to have two batteries, one high voltage and one low voltage.
          For high, series dry cells were uesd of 90 - 120v.
          The lowside was either large dry cells or accumulators in a glass jar. People would
          probably take their accumulators to a local shop for charging.
          Although I didn't see it I'll bet some of the cleverer sorts would use a couple
          of low batteries to revive another one sufficiently to listen to the wartime news.
          That could well be the original three battery idea.
          Petrol was scarce and expensive so most tractors used distillate, this
          wasn't the most easy thing to burn so a bit of a trick to get a fouled
          sparkplug to fire was to wire a gap into the ht.lead with a pearl button.
          I suppose the idea was to build up ahigher voltage, it did appear to have an
          effect.

Comment

• Significance

Screenshot_2019-02-13-08-04-26.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

• Looking.

I keep on researching battery systems and came across the Toyota synergy
              motor-generator system.
              I was intrigued and tried out an ancient Prius.
              I couldn't see how the electric transmission was going to be as efficient as
              a conventional gearbox.
              The old Prius was smooth and went OK. but was rather steady on hills.
              What was impressive was the MPG.
              The battery was a weedy 6.5ah. Ni Mh, 210v. prismatic. IMG_3846.JPG
              Attached Files

Comment

• Found this.

http://www.energeticforum.com/attach...1&d=1550099834
                Attached Files

Comment

• Looking...

It was only supposed to get you to a set speed then over to gas. As a battery, it had no guts so to speak. Then there was the cost, around 9K in the beginning. That was the batt tech for the Chev Volt too. Designed for it in fact.

Originally posted by Iamnuts View Post
                  I keep on researching battery systems and came across the Toyota synergy
                  motor-generator system.
                  I was intrigued and tried out an ancient Prius.
                  I couldn't see how the electric transmission was going to be as efficient as
                  a conventional gearbox.
                  The old Prius was smooth and went OK. but was rather steady on hills.
                  What was impressive was the MPG.
                  The battery was a weedy 6.5ah. Ni Mh, 210v. prismatic. IMG_3846.JPG

Comment

• Hello,

I got most of my equipment in yesterday. I ordered another DC load tester that has two channels. That way I can run a control load and also the load for the 3 battery test at the same time.

The two ways that I have now to log is with my USB data logger and with the mooshie meter. I am also going to take pictures as often as I can of my watt meters while the tests are running.

Here are a few staging pics for the weekend:

Lots of work to do!!!

-Altrez

Comment

• Mooshie meter

Hi Altrez,

Went to use mine this morning and failed to connect Bluetooth-wise. Batteries were down to 1.3V. I replaced them and back to normal. I'd heard these meters go thru the cells rapidly. Something to watch for and keep spares on-hand.

Regards,

bi
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by bistander View Post
                        Hi Altrez,

Went to use mine this morning and failed to connect Bluetooth-wise. Batteries were down to 1.3V. I replaced them and back to normal. I'd heard these meters go thru the cells rapidly. Something to watch for and keep spares on-hand.

Regards,

bi
                        Hello bi,

Yes I have noticed that my battery's are already at 50%!

-Altrez

Comment

• A question for the group,

I have 4 brand new 7ah battery's that I am testing. They all show about the same voltage under load and capacity with my tester. It shows they are 66% full.

I put one on my charger at a rate of 3.6 amps and let it run for 90 minutes. The charger was still blinking saying it was not fully charged. So I took it off charge and let it rest for 2 hours. When I tested it again it showed 91% capacity.

I charged the second battery at less then one amp and the charger shut off in 10 minutes. I tested it 30 minutes later and it shows 78% capacity.

I am a bit confused as I do not understand what the correct charging rate should be and if I should leave it at the higher amp rate or just let it stop at a smaller charge?

The 3 amp charge had brought the battery up from 12.9 to 13.3 and was still going. the lower charge rate at less then an amp stops running at 13 volts.

The Analyzer is certified so I guess I do not understand what I should be looking for in a fully charged 7ah battery? Do I trust the smart charger or do I trust the tester?

-Altrez
                          Last edited by altrez; 02-15-2019, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• altrez,

probably much better not to think the batteries are literal storage of energy..

the charger applies current to the batteries in order to reverse the chemical process done by discharging..

I came to this realization after charging my battery a few years back by about a week by a small pulsing circuit @ 2amps, only to find it not full at the end (13.8v).. it is a bad 70ah battery that is still usable for small loads.. I always wondered where all the energy went to..
                            Then I thought maybe I wasn't hitting the battery enough with high voltage so I built a larger pulsing circuit and charged the battery again @ 4 amps, overnight It went up over that..
                            after that I concluded that the battery will not charge no matter how much amperage your charges uses unless you hit it with a certain higher voltage... that it is a 100% chemical process.. and in no way related to the energy you use to charge it..

after reading this thread I see people telling the same thing..

your charger probably is designed only to charge at a certain voltage..
                            and your batteries though all new, have different conditions..

nice equipment btw..

good luck with the documentation..

Comment

• Originally posted by ricards View Post
                              altrez,

probably much better not to think the batteries are literal storage of energy..

the charger applies current to the batteries in order to reverse the chemical process done by discharging..

I came to this realization after charging my battery a few years back by about a week by a small pulsing circuit @ 2amps, only to find it not full at the end (13.8v).. it is a bad 70ah battery that is still usable for small loads.. I always wondered where all the energy went to..
                              Then I thought maybe I wasn't hitting the battery enough with high voltage so I built a larger pulsing circuit and charged the battery again @ 4 amps, overnight It went up over that..
                              after that I concluded that the battery will not charge no matter how much amperage your charges uses unless you hit it with a certain higher voltage... that it is a 100% chemical process.. and in no way related to the energy you use to charge it..

after reading this thread I see people telling the same thing..

your charger probably is designed only to charge at a certain voltage..
                              and your batteries though all new, have different conditions..

nice equipment btw..

good luck with the documentation..
                              ricards,

Thank you so much for the post. I do agree with you that its all about the battery's chemistry makeup and finding the right voltage. I am not sure how to test part of it yet so I am trying to get as close to I can of some type of starting point for solid documentation.

The 4 battery's all came from the same supplier and are the same type.

-Altrez

Comment

• Interesting

EV-Power | Your Complete Power Solutions
                                https://www.ev-power.eu

Comment

Working...
                                X