Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peter Daysh Davey Water Heater Query

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by sprocket View Post
    And still can't - can anyone point to an online source?
    The trouble is I cannot see why anyone would make spheres.

    Some ladles and bowls sold in kitchen supplies shops can be a hemishere. Then solder or glue them together.

    Comment


    • locating metal spheres

      Here is an online source I found just by googling "metal spheres":

      Metal Hollow Balls | Metal Spheres | Stainless Steel Balls


      I can't see why they would be so hard to find or to design a device around.

      Comment


      • I had come across this which I thought might do the trick - I'm particularly interested in distilling water (cheaply) and this would fit snugly into my distiller. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes though. This seems to be vapourising water just within the 1.6mm space between the hemispheres. With this submerged and surrounded by cold water, most of the steam produced will just recombine back to form water! Having this submerged just doesn't make sense to me! A much more efficient use of power would seem be a flash-steam approach. That and doing it in a partial vacuum. Never understood why there is nothing commercially available that takes this approach. Sorry, I seem to be going off at a tangent.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by sprocket View Post
          I had come across this which I thought might do the trick - I'm particularly interested in distilling water (cheaply)
          I don't reckon this technology is specifically about distilling; it is about the generation of heat which, of course, can be put to the matter of boiling.

          As the gear generates steam, it is the processes which count, not the steam per se. Cavitation, possibly. Personally, I don't rate Dumas or Savic. Davey may well be the approach that delivers. But it needs very accurate tuning which is everything. The resonance between the frequency of the bells, spheres, and the driving voltage.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by wrtner View Post
            I don't reckon this technology is specifically about distilling; it is about the generation of heat which, of course, can be put to the matter of boiling.

            As the gear generates steam, it is the processes which count, not the steam per se. Cavitation, possibly. Personally, I don't rate Dumas or Savic. Davey may well be the approach that delivers. But it needs very accurate tuning which is everything. The resonance between the frequency of the bells, spheres, and the driving voltage.
            A couple of other things rattling around in my head. If it's all in the dimensions, golden ratios, tuning - call it what you will - it would seem that having accurately-sized spheres would be a prerequisite. Accurate in the sense of having the inside diameter of one exactly matching the outside diameter of the one that fits inside it - I think these would be very difficult to find given the millimeter-difference involved. Second, however the effect is produced, the end-result is steam that is being produced in an enclosure that is immersed in cold water. This steam has to find a way through this 'barrier' somehow and it seems inevitable that the vast majority will simply reform back into water - this seems an extremely inefficient way of doing things! It would seem much more sensible to drop/trickle/pour water into the apparatus from the top (somehow) - that way the steam is liberated into the air and not into cold water. Thinking about it, if there is an OU-gain here, even when the majority of the steam is condensing straight back to water, how much better it would be with a well thought-out setup?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by sprocket View Post
              A couple of other things rattling around in my head. If it's all in the dimensions, golden ratios, tuning - call it what you will - it would seem that having accurately-sized spheres would be a prerequisite.
              This thread is about Davey.

              Are you talking about Dumas?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by wrtner View Post
                This thread is about Davey.

                Are you talking about Dumas?
                As far as I'm concerned, Dumas hijacked Davey's tech! The fact that Dumas doesn't at least acknowledge Davey concerning this 'discovery' is just wrong. But Dumas gives us something else to go on - I had read up on everything there was on Davey, had tried & failed to replicate the effect.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by sprocket View Post
                  As far as I'm concerned, Dumas hijacked Davey's tech! The fact that Dumas doesn't at least acknowledge Davey concerning this 'discovery' is just wrong. But Dumas gives us something else to go on - I had read up on everything there was on Davey, had tried & failed to replicate the effect.
                  I reckon that the Dumas physics has nothing to do with that of Davey.

                  When you worked on Davey, what gear were you using? What results did you get?

                  Comment


                  • Tune spacing etc etc

                    Wrtner
                    Davey used two spheres at a given space and mains voltage
                    He had testing done and ,,,
                    what ? _cop 20_ was bandeeed about??

                    he never disclosed the minutia of the claim except to imply a TUNE

                    Dumas also claims a Tune

                    I don't think we can say ABSOLUTELY that these two share nothing in common?
                    Nor the Savic [Tesla??] Sonic Boiler
                    just one mans opinion
                    thx
                    Chet
                    If you want to Change the world
                    BE that change !!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RAMSET View Post
                      Wrtner
                      Davey used two spheres at a given space and mains voltage
                      He had testing done and ,,,
                      what ? _cop 20_ was bandeeed about??

                      he never disclosed the minutia of the claim except to imply a TUNE

                      Dumas also claims a Tune

                      I don't think we can say ABSOLUTELY that these two share nothing in common?
                      Nor the Savic [Tesla??] Sonic Boiler
                      just one mans opinion
                      thx
                      Chet
                      I don't think you are right about this.

                      Dumas offers a COP that is so low that it is not worth the time of day. To check my maths, I tried a straight electric kettle and when I put the results into a spreadsheet for calculation, it gave a COP = 1.00

                      Savic is just a confusion. Tesla would be interesting if one could hunt down the patent. The beer can is just plain daft.

                      Davey was very specific. Each bell (a sphere was also used) must be tuned precisely to an octave (not a harmonic) of the mains frequency. As it so happens, bicycle bells have a way of being very close to the third octave of the UK's mains, namely 400hz.

                      It would be good to know exactly what Sprocket's experimental set up was.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by wrtner View Post
                        .....It would be good to know exactly what Sprocket's experimental set up was.
                        In a word, crude! I was using baseless-egg-cups, of a few different sizes in the hope I would hit on a 'harmonic' or something. Also varying the distance between them, though not to the almost sub-mm level required by Dumas. I also bought a couple of watt-meters back then to roughly approximate the (non-existent!) efficiency over plain electric kettle boiling. Like I said already, I then tried altering the frequency of a square-wave of a few hundred watts in the hope something would happen - it didn't! I think I posted photos back then on some forum, either this one or OU. Can't remember, it's 6-7 years ago.

                        As Ramset says, there's practically no 'how-to' available for Davey's setup except vague references to tuning. At least we have a critical-spacing to aim for with Dumas, but this was probably what Davey was referring to by tuning anyway! Dunno, both seem identical to me...

                        Edit: I found a pic of one of my 'Davey heaters' - the top of this one was adjustable, allowing the inner & outer shell-spacing to be adjusted.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by sprocket; 11-29-2014, 06:54 PM. Reason: Add a pic.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by sprocket View Post

                          As Ramset says, there's practically no 'how-to' available for Davey's setup except vague references to tuning..
                          You have not worked on a Davey replication.

                          On this occasion, Chet is not on the ball. The references to tuning are precise.


                          You need two hemispherical bowls (Davey did use a hemisphere and a sphere) to be drilled through their centres and secured to threaded rod. M6 or M8 is good. They need to be rigged into a structure so they are insulated from each other but in close proximity. (Some people have used insulated and heat proof threaded rod and put both bowls on the same rod. Good if you can find such a rod).

                          By grinding down the edge of the bowl with a bench grinder or similar, the size needs to be reduced until the note sounded when you strike the bowl is an exact OCTAVE (not a harmonic) of your mains electrical frequency. In the UK and much of the world this is 50 Hz. Therefore you need to aim for 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 etc. (Davey went for 400). If you have a friend who is a musician, he or she is likely to be very helpful.

                          Note that by grinding you will always INCREASE the note.

                          Therefore you should buy your bowls so that they sound, in the shop, a little lower than approx G using the guitar pitch pipes thoughtfully placed by you in your trouser pocket (or an octave of it - slightly tricky).

                          Spectral analysis software should help.

                          Perform this task with the bowls bolted in position on their threaded rod, and preferably with a power line soldered or bolted on to each bowl. (If you don't then their note will change when you bolt them on their rod and solder up). Mount them in their rig in the tank of water.

                          If you have a Variac, it would be good to use it. Connect an RCD instant type fuse in the supply circuit and have an electrician check on your installation if you are not experienced.

                          See page 15:
                          http://free-energy-info.com/Chapter14.pdf

                          Also handy:
                          Frequencies of Musical Notes, A4 = 440 Hz


                          ~~~ The essence of Davey is that the mains power frequency (or octave) = frequency of the first bowl = frequency of the second bowl ~~~
                          .
                          .
                          Last edited by wrtner; 11-30-2014, 03:10 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Everything you have written above was known & written about 7 years ago, including the talk about bicycle-bells being a harmonic of the 50Hz mains frequency Davey used - yet if this is the path to success, point me to a single successful 'Davey' replication? There isn't one!

                            As far as I'm concerned, this is all speculation. Maybe resonance and harmonics are the key here, but based on what? - Davey's supposed ability to tune these by ear? This reminds me of Lester Hendershot's ability to construct capacitors & inductors to fractions of a percent of the aimed-for value, using intuition alone - he couldn't explain how he did it. Davey didn't use scopes or frequency meters either, just raw intuition. Davey didn't even leave us with basic current measurements, that might at least have suggested that there was indeed something special happening. I have often wondered about this last point - what on earth was in the minds of those responsible for those recordings of Davey, how could it not have occurred to them that this info was vital! Davey was already a old man then, MIB-suppression would have been the least of his worries.

                            So yes, mine was not a true Davey replication if you're to insists that it's all down to harmonics etc. Also, when you put all the speculation aside, I cannot see how you can insist that there is no connection between the Davey & Dumas apparatus - they both use the mains, the both consists of 2 spherical parts in close proximity but electrically-isolated, the both seem to show almost-instantaneous boiling and the both are supposedly OU. All apart from the last are facts, not speculation.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by sprocket View Post

                              1. including the talk about bicycle-bells being a harmonic of the 50Hz mains frequency Davey used

                              2. Davey didn't use scopes or frequency meters either, just raw intuition.

                              3. So yes, mine was not a true Davey replication.
                              1. Learn the difference between a harmonic and an octave.

                              2. ..... like most good guitarists.

                              3. "not a true Davey replication?". Your work, as described, had NOTHING to do with Davey.

                              If you want to replicate Davey, do it exactly as he proposes. When you have success, by all means, put in your own improvements.
                              .
                              .

                              Comment


                              • UK only - probably - only for a few days.

                                Here are some interesting SS bowls. Buying two sets for 20 will give a lot of scope for experimentation:

                                https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...rticleId=10650

                                They look pretty hemispherical - i.e. without flat bases.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X