Clear All

• Capacitive Battery Charger & Capacitive Transformer

Danger!

Circuit too dangerous to replicate.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vidbid; 09-20-2013, 06:02 AM. Reason: Received Complaint
    Regards,

VIDBID

That is a very dangerous circuit and should not be posted on an open forum like this.
    People with little knowledge on electronics can kill themselfs with that circuit.
    The moment you remove the leads from the battery a voltage of about 150V will appear on that leads.

Comment

Capacitive Battery Charger & Capacitive Transformer

Originally posted by nvisser View Post
      That is a very dangerous circuit and should not be posted on an open forum like this. People with little knowledge on electronics can kill themselfs with that circuit. The moment you remove the leads from the battery a voltage of about 150V will appear on that leads.
      I wish some people would stop trying to censor me. Open means free. It wouldn't be much of an open forum if I censored this information, now, would it?

But to placate the critics and safety trolls, I'll put up a disclaimer.
      Regards,

VIDBID

Comment

That is not a capacitive transformer. It is a reactive voltage divider. The impedance of different capacitors will differ based on their capacitance, and so will offer differing "resistance" to the AC current, meaning you essentially have two resistors one after another, creating...A voltage divider.

This is a true capacitive transformer, and a very good idea.

C Stack

Comment

Capacitive Transformer

Originally posted by Armagdn03 View Post
          That is not a capacitive transformer. It is a reactive voltage divider. The impedance of different capacitors will differ based on their capacitance, and so will offer differing "resistance" to the AC current, meaning you essentially have two resistors one after another, creating...A voltage divider.

C Stack
          I was reporting on the booklet. George Wiseman, the author, calls it a capacitive transformer.
          Regards,

VIDBID

Comment

Originally posted by vidbid View Post
            I was reporting on the booklet. George Wiseman, the author, calls it a capacitive transformer.
            Yes I see that, no fault on your end, but it really is just a voltage divider.

Comment

C-stack

Yes I see that, no fault on your end, but it really is just a voltage divider.
              Interesting concept—your C-stack.
              Regards,

VIDBID

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but...

I've looked over the circuit, read the pamphlet, and as long as you follow the instructions, AND USE THE SECOND CAPACITOR, not just run the circuit with a single one...

it appears that what you will have at the batteries, is whatever you designed the circuit to have... and nothing more.

It would appear, the danger level is, whatever you set it to be.

I think that was George's whole point. It's not like he's a dummy. Furthermore, his commercial electrolysers exploit this method so they damn well better be safe and have probably had to go through CSA?

Thanks. Just an observation, not a "known"
                Last edited by kcarring; 03-04-2012, 09:26 AM.
                ----------------------------------------------------
                Alberta is under attack... http://rethinkalberta.com/

Has anyone seen my Bedini Ceiling Fan that pushes the warm air down, and charges batteries as an added bonus? Me neither. 'Bout time I made one!!!!! :P

Comment

Originally posted by kcarring View Post
                  Correct me if I am wrong, but...

I've looked over the circuit, read the pamphlet, and as long as you follow the instructions, AND USE THE SECOND CAPACITOR, not just run the circuit with a single one...

it appears that what you will have at the batteries, is whatever you designed the circuit to have... and nothing more.

It would appear, the danger level is, whatever you set it to be.

I think that was George's whole point. It's not like he's a dummy. Furthermore, his commercial electrolysers exploit this method so they damn well better be safe and have probably had to go through CSA?

Thanks. Just an observation, not a "known"
                  Thanks for the link.
                  Regards,

VIDBID

Comment

Great Post!

Great post and thanks!

Ged

A while back, I purchased a booklet from Eagle Research on capacitive battery charging for about $10. They included a booklet on capacitive transformers free of charge with my order.

Essentially, it shows how you can charge a battery using a capacitor instead of a transformer.

Capacitive Battery Charger

Capacitive Transformer

I thought it was of interest.

Related Videos:

Capacitive Battery Charger
                    DIY Capacitive Battery Charger

Capacitive Transformer
                    CAPACITIVE STEP-DOWN TRANSFORMER - Part 1
                    CAPACITIVE STEP-DOWN TRANSFORMER - Part 2

Comment

Funny, I did not know this thread existed. I started on some research nearly identical to this, however instead of using multiple plates it was to test the displacement theory of current.

The circuits here are the same as what I've tried. running the neutral lead to the bridge puts the circuit into the mains circuit and as such will always see a load, so that amperage can get dangerous if not careful.

I was more interested in Psi charge fluctuations, Although the amperage I'm getting is low, it's not drawing from the circuit on the capacitor.

Comment

C Stack
                        I read thru that, thanks

Any idea where this went if anywhere? It's exactly what I've been currently working on. There is some strange things with capacitive transformers, they don't obey conventional electrodynamic theories for one.

Comment

Originally posted by madhatter View Post
                          I read thru that, thanks

Any idea where this went if anywhere? It's exactly what I've been currently working on. There is some strange things with capacitive transformers, they don't obey conventional electrodynamic theories for one.
                          Hi madH,

Could you state those strange things you have observed with capacitive transformers? What have you been doing?

Thanks!

Ged

Comment

going to dig up the thread I started on this, check there for updates

Comment

Change volage/ capacitance?

Hi
                              Couple of Qs:
                              1 My mains V is 250, can I build one or must I step down to 120/150- I have capacitors rated 450V AC and bridge rectifier to 1KV.?
                              2 My caps are only 11 MFD each - can I parallel some to increase the charging current?
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X