Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capicitor Discharge Trigger

Hi Folks,

Is there a way of automaticaly creating a trigger if a capacitor goes over a certain voltage?

I recall someone talking about an led or neon that only comes on and creates a circuit if it receives enough voltage. Is this a possibility or have I misheard?

Thanks

Originally posted by woodski View Post
    Hi Folks,

Is there a way of automaticaly creating a trigger if a capacitor goes over a certain voltage?

I recall someone talking about an led or neon that only comes on and creates a circuit if it receives enough voltage. Is this a possibility or have I misheard?

Thanks
    yes use an SCR. Set the gate voltage using zener diodes for low volts. When the gate is charged to zener level the SCR fires and discharges dump cap to the load. For HV use Neon it triggers around 80v. For higher use PD resistor divider with the neon. For more HV use lightning spike discharge tubes or the gas suppressor types are made at set voltages like 500, 600 800 etc.

For VHT triggers use Strobes to make poor mans Thyrotron triggers. You can set these to fire in the KV's

Comment

Working...
    X