How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rozier56 View Post
    Is HIPS (hi impact polystyrene) user friendly in our pyrolysis systems?
    When making diesel from WMO, are you folks centrifuging or using seperators to take out the fine carbon particles before using in your vechiles?
    If you are referring to the high impact plastic used for all electrical appliances, simple answer is no.
    The plastic is called ABS. This is the stuff I play with. It contains many nasty chemicals used as fire retardants. The most common being Bromine. Bromine is a Halogen. ABS is also full of fillers to make the plastic hard or soft. Mainly clay is used and up to as much as 50% of the plastic can be clay.
    The fuel that comes off Ethyl Benzene(styrene) which stinks and is more related to Petrol than Diesel.
    To make is simple, Stay away from ABS (or HIPS).
    Another plastic to stay away from is PVC. This is found as electrical insulation among other things. This plastic produces as much as 50% of it's weight in HCL. It is very dangerous.

Comment

• gases

thanks WHEELS ...as i read pp and pe is much better..so if i remove all papers and wash all plastic well does not produce h2s and hcl? thanks

Comment

• rozier56

Originally posted by wheels View Post
        If you are referring to the high impact plastic used for all electrical appliances, simple answer is no.
        The plastic is called ABS. This is the stuff I play with. It contains many nasty chemicals used as fire retardants. The most common being Bromine. Bromine is a Halogen. ABS is also full of fillers to make the plastic hard or soft. Mainly clay is used and up to as much as 50% of the plastic can be clay.
        The fuel that comes off Ethyl Benzene(styrene) which stinks and is more related to Petrol than Diesel.
        To make is simple, Stay away from ABS (or HIPS).
        Another plastic to stay away from is PVC. This is found as electrical insulation among other things. This plastic produces as much as 50% of it's weight in HCL. It is very dangerous.
        Thank you, for the info.

Comment

• tire pyrolysis oil

Hello to everyone
          I want to use pyrolytic oil from waste tires to generator.
          I think this oil distillation. Is it enough to heat up to 300 degrees and distill?
          How much product do I get?
          Have you tried this?

Comment

• Originally posted by kedigen View Post
            Hello to everyone
            I want to use pyrolytic oil from waste tires to generator.
            I think this oil distillation. Is it enough to heat up to 300 degrees and distill?
            How much product do I get?
            Have you tried this?
            It can be done, but the Fuel you get from Tires is very black and it smells.
            About 50% of a Tire is made up of Carbon Black. So after the Fuel is removed, you end up with a lot of Carbon to get rid of. If you process whole tires, then you will also have a lot of steel wire and some Tires have Kevlar in them, which does not melt. So you end up with a lot of rubbish to remove.

Comment

• rozier56

Can some one remind me why we can't use PET in our process.I know we discussed before, but it seems the Chinese are doing it?

Comment

• soot and smoke problem

Hello to everyone
                What can I do to chemically purify tyre pyrolysis oil
                I need to use it as a diesel in the generator. I filtered it with simple bleaching earth. There is too much smoke. There is too much soot. What can I do to reduce soot?

Comment

• rozier56

thks Wheels!
                  But i am refering to PET PLASTIC. as used in coke bottles?

Comment

• What is the chemical in the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZcmNTL8sq4

Comment

• There is also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPwWIKn3uw

What could these chemicals be?

This person claims plastic pyrolysis oil improvement

Comment

Hello to everyone
                        What can I do to chemically purify tyre pyrolysis oil
                        I need to use it as a diesel in the generator. I filtered it with simple bleaching earth. There is too much smoke. There is too much soot. What can I do to reduce soot?

Far from easy. There are all kinds of Carbon chains in this kind of Fuel and it requires a lot of complex work to clean up. Hence why Fuel from Tyre's is not commonly done.

Comment

• Originally posted by rozier56 View Post
                          Can some one remind me why we can't use PET in our process.I know we discussed before, but it seems the Chinese are doing it?
                          I doubt the Chinese are doing it. PET is Terephthalic Acid, or more commonly known as Polyester. PET is about the only plastic that has a good resale price. It is spun directly into Polyester yarns and then made onto Carpet, Polarfleece and other material. It does not melt. It goes from Solid to Gas and then when cooled down, it turns directly into a White Crystaline powder which is pure Terephtalic Acid. This will block up all the Pipe work.

Comment

What is the chemical in the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZcmNTL8sq4
                            It will be a solvent of some kind. Maybe Acetone perhaps. All that is happening is that the hydrocarbons are being diluted as such so as the different weights are settling out. However, there are couple of problems with this. firstly, note the quantity of the Solvent being used. It looks like maybe 30 to even 50%. So the cost would kind of defeat the purpose of trying to make Fuel for very little cost. Secondly, this process is not actually cleaning the Fuel, it is separating it into various weights. You have to work out if the result is the weight you want. i.e. a Petrol type fuel or a Diesel type fuel.

Comment

• Originally posted by wheels View Post
                              It will be a solvent of some kind. Maybe Acetone perhaps. All that is happening is that the hydrocarbons are being diluted as such so as the different weights are settling out. However, there are couple of problems with this. firstly, note the quantity of the Solvent being used. It looks like maybe 30 to even 50%. So the cost would kind of defeat the purpose of trying to make Fuel for very little cost. Secondly, this process is not actually cleaning the Fuel, it is separating it into various weights. You have to work out if the result is the weight you want. i.e. a Petrol type fuel or a Diesel type fuel.

How can I use rubber oil as diesel? Does a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and citric acid work? Or do you have a suggestion?

Comment

How can I use rubber oil as diesel? Does a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and citric acid work? Or do you have a suggestion?
                                You are starting to get beyond the scope of this Forum. Hence why we say stick to the two easy to process plastics.
                                Once you get into Chemistry, you really REALLY need to know what you are doing. For instance, Hydrogen Peroxide and Citric Acid mixed in just the right proportion, can become highly unstable and explosive. Hydrogen Peroxide is a powerful oxidizer and highly reactive to many things. So you need to be extremely careful using it and extra extremely careful what you mix it with.
                                Tyres are a terrible stock to use for fuel. The resulting oil smells terrible and it is black as you likely already know. The Chinese use it for boiler heating fuel and that's about it. It is not good for Vehicle Engines. You also end up with a huge amount of waste after the process. About 50% of the Tyre ends up as Carbon Black. Some heat the entire tyre and some remove the steel belting first before heating. Trying to clean out the Retort after a heating process is very messy.

Comment

Working...
                                X