No announcement yet.

How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have not got to that stage yet but the fumes from the melt in will be drawn away by a fan and duct mounted above the reactor opening. It could be directed to the air input of the kerosene burner powering the unit.

Comment

• @quintusk - thank you for PDF
      I had another good trip to the scrap metal yard. Mountain of stainless steel pipes, couplings, flanges etc. Too bad all tanks have been already cut for non SS parts removal. I got one set of smaller flanges, 2" coupler and pieces of pipe, drain ball valves for condensers and 50 gal steel drum. I was able to negotiate price down from $2 -$1.16 a pound.
      I'm waiting for another shipment by the end of this week. They suppose to let me know what's in it. It should be all SS 316 from food processing plant.
      I would like to have the reactor, reflux and all connectors in SS, if I can afford.
      As for condenser tanks I'll use propane tanks since I already have several of them.

Interesting link on zeolites - Zeolites
      Vtech
      Last edited by blackchisel97; 05-31-2012, 06:21 PM. Reason: link
      'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

Comment

• Originally posted by blackchisel97 View Post
        @quintusk - thank you for PDF
        I had another good trip to the scrap metal yard. Mountain of stainless steel pipes, couplings, flanges etc. Too bad all tanks have been already cut for non SS parts removal. I got one set of smaller flanges, 2" coupler and pieces of pipe, drain ball valves for condensers and 50 gal steel drum. I was able to negotiate price down from $2 -$1.16 a pound.
        I'm waiting for another shipment by the end of this week. They suppose to let me know what's in it. It should be all SS 316 from food processing plant.
        I would like to have the reactor, reflux and all connectors in SS, if I can afford.
        As for condenser tanks I'll use propane tanks since I already have several of them.
        Vtech
        It's amazing what turns up in those scrap yards! I dream of finding parts for my 1912 veteran motorcycles there! Bits are still out there somewhere but they don't turn up often.
        My son, who's the SS welder has offered to make the reflux from SS or whatever I want. I'll finish trialing before I go with the offer. Of course I could make it myself but he has access to free materials and his welding is just beautiful.
        I'm nearly ready for stage2/experiment3. I made a reflux plus 2 condensers and I just need to complete the themocouple adapors plus the bubbler.
        I've got nowhere near enough dry firewood so I may have to hurry along my kero/diesel injector/nozzle burner idea. Eventually, I want to have the temperature controlled by digital thermostat but the initial run might just have to be manual.
        http://diydiesel.blogspot.co.nz/

Comment

• Originally posted by Excalibur View Post
          It's amazing what turns up in those scrap yards! I dream of finding parts for my 1912 veteran motorcycles there! Bits are still out there somewhere but they don't turn up often.
          My son, who's the SS welder has offered to make the reflux from SS or whatever I want. I'll finish trialing before I go with the offer. Of course I could make it myself but he has access to free materials and his welding is just beautiful.
          I'm nearly ready for stage2/experiment3. I made a reflux plus 2 condensers and I just need to complete the thermocouple adapters plus the bubbler.
          I've got nowhere near enough dry firewood so I may have to hurry along my kero/diesel injector/nozzle burner idea. Eventually, I want to have the temperature controlled by digital thermostat but the initial run might just have to be manual.
          It looks like you're getting there
          I'll try gravity fed oil burner with forced air first. This way I can adjust the oil volume as well as control the blower speed. It will probably work better with compressed air but I want to try as simple as possible. It might be just enough. Who knows.

Cheers
          Vtech
          'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

Comment

• Originally posted by blackchisel97 View Post
            It looks like you're getting there
            I'll try gravity fed oil burner with forced air first. This way I can adjust the oil volume as well as control the blower speed. It will probably work better with compressed air but I want to try as simple as possible. It might be just enough. Who knows.
            Cheers
            Vtech
            When I think of kero/diesel burners, I imagine a set up based on the primus kero stove or the clayton/kerrick diesel steam cleaner.
            The primus is incredibly simple and has stood the test of time. I still use one when I go on holiday much to the amusement of some. These preheat the kero and the vapor is burned immediately. Pressure in the brass vessel is the only form of heat control. (Some of these burners use gasoline but I understand the jet size is different)
            Kerrick/Clayton diesel steam cleaners use a similar principle only a constant spark ignites the vapor stream on demand.
            My plan for testing purposes is to use a 12V fuel injector nozzle, feed by kero/diesel from an old pressurized Primus tank. I'll squirt this directly at glowing embers, hopefully creating sufficient heat. I tried something similar with diesel from a simple spray bottle and the result was encouraging.
            Primus stove
            Update:
            OK, I tested a 12V injector nozzle using a Primus as pressure tank but there's not enough psi to get any reasonable sort of spray pattern. I'll dig out a fuel pump which will be paired up with a 43psi regulator. That should do the trick. We'll see.
            Last edited by Excalibur; 06-01-2012, 07:50 AM. Reason: Results of test

Comment

• The kerosene burner I am using is a bit more powerful than a primus stove. Riello kerosene burners are used in most home heating systems in Ireland where natural gas is not available. they can be adjusted to burn kerosene, diesel or any mix of the two. and have outputs varying from 20kw to 55 kw. A primus stove has an output of approximately 2kw.
              Riello Limited - Light Oil >single stage

Comment

• Thanks

look to jetis's posts[/QUOTE]

THIS is JUST what I was looking for! You know how periodically we have to tell those who've recently 'joined' this thread, to go back and read it from the beginning, and their questions will be answered? Well, based on this recent experience, I would suggest even those who've been on this thread awhile, might benefit from going back and re-reading, from the beginning.

Either I didn't SEE this, when jetis posted it, or it didn't REGISTER with me, at the time. Going to go back thru, from the beginning, right now, and see what else I may have missed, or that didn't 'work for me' back then, but dose with my changed perspective! Thanks again, this is just the kind of 'field test' I was looking for! Jim

Comment

• hi jetis i am quite impress by your work & need your help can you please help me in my project of converting plastic to gasoline n diesel reply soon

Comment

• few questions

i want to ask few things from jetis, did you completely seal the top of the container during your experiment ??

how do i get more of gasoline fractions?

how much coal did u get in 25 kg batch after one batch can it be removed easily ?

how did you actually made non oxygen environment inside reactor? what about the oxygen present before the process starts ?

please please please do reply frnd if anyone else could help me ?

Comment

• Originally posted by unaiz View Post
                      i want to ask few things from jetis, did you completely seal the top of the container during your experiment ??

how much coal did u get in 25 kg batch after one batch can it be removed easily ?

how did you actually made non oxygen environment inside reactor? what about the oxygen present before the process starts ?

please please please do reply frnd if anyone else could help me ?
                      The journey to learn the process is a long and difficult one that takes time. Members here will strongly recommend that you read through the posts from the start and who can argue with that?... it's an excellent idea as most of the questions have already been answered.
                      I've just completed today, my third read of all the posts! It took a week, chipping away at the task. It's longer than ever. More aspects of the process became clear to me. I suggest you read the thread through, then make a simple experiment, post pictures of it here, maybe you'll get some comments for the effort, read the thread through again. Re-design and rerun the experiment. Help others when there's opportunity. Approach it this way.
                      To try and answer your questions I'll give it a go:

did you completely seal the top of the container during your experiment ??
                      Yes, needs to be 100% airtight seal, no oxygen is allowed for the pyrolisis to do its' magic.
                      I think the answer could be to use a lower temperature in the reflux so gases condense and fall back to the reactor repeatedly until such time as they are "broken down", don't condense in the reflux and proceed to the condensers.
                      I was surprised how little char there was for my recently completed run. It was slightly sticky. I suggest multiple runs or continuous feed could be done before cleaning out was really needed.
                      When the process starts up, it appears oxygen is purged out with the movement of the gases, especially the water vapor which turns to steam.

Comment

• Test plant, stage 2

Experiment #3, temporary test rig.
                        Ok, so I thought the test went well, making about 4+ liters of fuel mix.
                        The feedstock was 10%PE / 90%mineral oil.
                        As always, I learnt a bit. I need cooling on the reflux and a means of stabilizing the temps. I suppose if I can get the reflux at a stable temp, the condensers downstream will be easier to manage for their temp.
                        Heat source was firewood but needs the big upgrade, perhaps the diesel burner will come next.
                        I tried to burn off the uncondensable gases but the flame keep going out. Could be a pilot flame is necessary? Fumes were horrible! I need to address this issue. Eventually I want to route those gases back and burn as reactor heat.
                        Pic shows set up before the session started. Reflux has clay. There are four thermocouple points for temp sampling. I used a blower to fan the flames, though maintaining 400'C was difficult.
                        I fitted a 6"+ flue over the 4inch, 2 -3m in length.
                        So, quite an enjoyable testrun with a satisfactory result given the crudeness of the plant.
                        I hope this is helpful for some. Please make any comment that may be of help. Thanks

Comment

• Nice setup, if you wrap some rockwool around the oildrum you will get more heat in the reactor. Which condenser collected the fuel? and how does it look after 24 hours, any thickening or darkening. While heating with wood is cheap and easy to setup you will sooner or later have to find a heat source that is more controllable. Once you have a steady temperature in your reactor you can control the temp in the reflux tower and the condensers by adding or subtracting insulation and by changing the length of the connecting pipes.

Comment

• Originally posted by imakebiodiesel View Post
                            Nice setup, if you wrap some rockwool around the oildrum you will get more heat in the reactor. Which condenser collected the fuel? and how does it look after 24 hours, any thickening or darkening. While heating with wood is cheap and easy to setup you will sooner or later have to find a heat source that is more controllable. Once you have a steady temperature in your reactor you can control the temp in the reflux tower and the condensers by adding or subtracting insulation and by changing the length of the connecting pipes.
                            Thanks for the thoughts, it's most appreciated.
                            The rockwool is an excellent idea. I'll defintely use it and especially when I upgrade the vessel.
                            The first condenser in line did most of the collecting. Perhaps 80 -90%.
                            It's been about 6hrs since making and is chilled off totally in the cool evening air.. The fuel is thin, completely liquid, and is the same shade of brown as before. Some fuel, I noticed came out a golden yellow, some dark and some clear. It was all mixed together after that though.
                            Controllable heat would be a major plus. I struggled a lot to keep it steady. The reactor heat wavered between the extremes of 300'C and 450'C
                            Good tip about lengthening the pipework or adding/subtracting insulation. I wasn't sure whether I'b needing more or less heat from the start.
                            Thanks

Comment

The journey to learn the process is a long and difficult one that takes time. Members here will strongly recommend that you read through the posts from the start and who can argue with that?... it's an excellent idea as most of the questions have already been answered.
                              I've just completed today, my third read of all the posts! It took a week, chipping away at the task. It's longer than ever. More aspects of the process became clear to me. I suggest you read the thread through, then make a simple experiment, post pictures of it here, maybe you'll get some comments for the effort, read the thread through again. Re-design and rerun the experiment. Help others when there's opportunity. Approach it this way.
                              To try and answer your questions I'll give it a go:

Yes, needs to be 100% airtight seal, no oxygen is allowed for the pyrolisis to do its' magic.

I think the answer could be to use a lower temperature in the reflux so gases condense and fall back to the reactor repeatedly until such time as they are "broken down", don't condense in the reflux and proceed to the condensers.

I was surprised how little char there was for my recently completed run. It was slightly sticky. I suggest multiple runs or continuous feed could be done before cleaning out was really needed.

When the process starts up, it appears oxygen is purged out with the movement of the gases, especially the water vapor which turns to steam.
                              thanks alot i have read almost 21 pages hope to get on 48th soon but still i have few questions & some ideas that may be could make the process better

what did you use as reflux my frnd?

& u don't know how happy i am after knowing that i give small amount of char .. i was worried about it & about the efficiency of this device i am thinking to do a test run in a pot or pressure cooker could it be feasible ?

i will post soon the whole idea i have thought for this test run & really looking forward for your advice and ideas for that

Comment

Experiment #3, temporary test rig.
                                Ok, so I thought the test went well, making about 4+ liters of fuel mix.
                                The feedstock was 10%PE / 90%mineral oil.
                                As always, I learnt a bit. I need cooling on the reflux and a means of stabilizing the temps. I suppose if I can get the reflux at a stable temp, the condensers downstream will be easier to manage for their temp.
                                Heat source was firewood but needs the big upgrade, perhaps the diesel burner will come next.
                                I tried to burn off the uncondensable gases but the flame keep going out. Could be a pilot flame is necessary? Fumes were horrible! I need to address this issue. Eventually I want to route those gases back and burn as reactor heat.
                                Pic shows set up before the session started. Reflux has clay. There are four thermocouple points for temp sampling. I used a blower to fan the flames, though maintaining 400'C was difficult.
                                I fitted a 6"+ flue over the 4inch, 2 -3m in length.
                                So, quite an enjoyable testrun with a satisfactory result given the crudeness of the plant.
                                I hope this is helpful for some. Please make any comment that may be of help. Thanks

nice setup may be some insulation would make your process more efficient you can use cotton or paper pulp as they have their coefficient of conductivity less than .02 W/mK & both are of low price.

Comment

Working...
                                X