How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• other reactor idea..

You can found more patents for treatment of waste plastic but all patents work using simple heat without apply nothing of new. Normal method require some kW of energy, I think your object is creation of fuel for personal usage only, in that way you don't need to process more waste plastic. My idea is use electric heat (gas after) + HV without catalyst.
    You need to heat slowly plastic for not burn that and reach gradually high temp inside reactor. I attach here my diagram because one image is better than 1000 words. Working principle is simple. The electric heating element (resistor) is used only as starter for heating special ollare stone (italian), that absorb heat and released that gradually on waste plastic. Laterally are present two electrodes that radiate waste plastic with high voltage/high frequency. When an alternating current is subjected to a dielectric material, the molecules try to align themselves to the alternating field, rubbing themselves together with each cycle, or reversal of polarity, an a pronounced molecular friction is set up. When the alternating field is reversed several million times a considerable amount of heat is naturally created because of the molecular friction that takes place. This, briefly, is the principle involved in dielectric heating. Waste plastic in that scenario is stressed molecularly trought HF (5-15MHz) and heated at the same time electrically (starter), at these conditions you obtain an summ of temps vaporizing the waste plastic. Probably you can use same RF circuit made from Mike when him finished that.
    Idea is create an reactor for process an low amount of waste plastic and start process quickly for obtain gas output (and others) ; think how work an wood pellet stove.
    Need to be tested but Im sure that method have high efficency respect to old. Here italian informations on ollare stone translated in english .. Google Traduttore
    That is an simple diagram but I think is possible created an little all-in-one waste reactor and obtain on output directly the gas needed for process maybe using waste plastic pellet. Regards
    Last edited by tutanka; 08-13-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• I have studied all the threads here and want to move this into some sort of production.Is anyone doing this in the U.K.(small scale) or thinking about making some kind of unit? I have a plentyfull feed stock supply and could do with talking to a like minded person in the U.K. so to find out what sort of permits or regs we come under.
      I also watched the clip from plastic2oil on youtube and then there AGM,they talk about how they started with a machine adapted from the BLEST machine upto a full sized hi output plant,the bit that really caught my eye was a prototype 1 ton continues feed machine that they used to develope there full sized unit,I would give consideration to purchase the likes of that if I knew where I could find one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Fraser View Post
        I have studied all the threads here and want to move this into some sort of production.Is anyone doing this in the U.K.(small scale) or thinking about making some kind of unit? I have a plentyfull feed stock supply and could do with talking to a like minded person in the U.K. so to find out what sort of permits or regs we come under.
        I also watched the clip from plastic2oil on youtube and then there AGM,they talk about how they started with a machine adapted from the BLEST machine upto a full sized hi output plant,the bit that really caught my eye was a prototype 1 ton continues feed machine that they used to develope there full sized unit,I would give consideration to purchase the likes of that if I knew where I could find one.
        Hi, I tried to contact the people I know in the UK who do this, unfortunately it seems that they have moved on or retired. The companies involved do not seem willing to talk about it on the phone, problem is I don’t live in the UK anymore. Fascist police state and all that.

I know Shanks and McEwen , BCB and Britannia recycling have all done pyrolisis. You could try giving them a call and ask to speak to the engineering manager or his equivalent, they will think you are a salesman but just say you are interested in understanding the process and are writing an article on it.

This web page covers a lot of things on the subject including catalysts and processing toxic products and I think it is very useful
        Feedstock Recycling and Pyrolysis of Waste Plastics

It seems that all the smaller operations that I knew have been bought out, shut down or otherwise stopped. There is big money in this.

Good luck with your project

Comment

• Can the plastic be soaked in some liquid to 'soften' it up and make an easier vaporization ??

Comment

• Thanks for your help, I do know of Shanks & McEwan, they are big players nowadays and I feel that these guys don't really want everybody knowing about this technology and for a small scale cottage industry like I would like to setup,they wont give you the time of day.I'm not beat,just have to keep looking around and hopefully talking to like minded folk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Fraser View Post
              Thanks for your help, I do know of Shanks & McEwan, they are big players nowadays and I feel that these guys don't really want everybody knowing about this technology and for a small scale cottage industry like I would like to setup,they wont give you the time of day.I'm not beat,just have to keep looking around and hopefully talking to like minded folk.
              Your right there, getting on one of their sites is like getting in fort Knox, it’s the same with most big plastic and recycling companies. The guy I knew that had a pyrolisis unit was bought out by the big boys and was paid millions; don’t know what happened to him after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbrownn View Post
                Hi, I tried to contact the people I know in the UK who do this, unfortunately it seems that they have moved on or retired. The companies involved do not seem willing to talk about it on the phone, problem is I don’t live in the UK anymore. Fascist police state and all that.

I know Shanks and McEwen , BCB and Britannia recycling have all done pyrolisis. You could try giving them a call and ask to speak to the engineering manager or his equivalent, they will think you are a salesman but just say you are interested in understanding the process and are writing an article on it.

This web page covers a lot of things on the subject including catalysts and processing toxic products and I think it is very useful

It seems that all the smaller operations that I knew have been bought out, shut down or otherwise stopped. There is big money in this.

Good luck with your project
                Iam a new member & read all the threads posted .
                I would like to thank Jetijs specially & also mbrown for providing valuable input .
                Iam in Pakistan & just fabricated a pilot unit of 25 kg capacity .Start trials tommorow & let U know .
                Iam using Polypropylene waste bags of sugar,floor,cement etc. first recycled into PP granules which is my profession . They are abundantly available in every country .

Now Sir Jetijs I saw your PROCESS FLOWChart diagram with 3 condensors .
                I would like to know that if we arrange the three condensors in the following manner it might be more practical .
                1) First condensor for DIESEL maintained at 300-celcius .
                2) Second condensor for kerosine maintained at 150-celcius .
                3) Third condensor could be an Air conditioner CONDENSOR at room temperature for collecting GASOLINE .

Kindly let me know about your expert opinion .

Lastly I would like to let U know another member CARBOGGER has very good
                small scale units worth going through his website .

Soon I will let u guys know what I achieved .

DR-Asad Farooqui

Comment

• Originally posted by Asad Farooqui View Post

Iam a new member & read all the threads posted .
                  I would like to thank Jetijs specially & also mbrown for providing valuable input .
                  Iam in Pakistan & just fabricated a pilot unit of 25 kg capacity .Start trials tommorow & let U know .
                  Iam using Polypropylene waste bags of sugar,floor,cement etc. first recycled into PP granules which is my profession . They are abundantly available in every country .

Now Sir Jetijs I saw your PROCESS FLOWChart diagram with 3 condensors .
                  I would like to know that if we arrange the three condensors in the following manner it might be more practical .
                  1) First condensor for DIESEL maintained at 300-celcius .
                  2) Second condensor for kerosine maintained at 150-celcius .
                  3) Third condensor could be an Air conditioner CONDENSOR at room temperature for collecting GASOLINE .

Kindly let me know about your expert opinion .

Lastly I would like to let U know another member CARBOGGER has very good
                  small scale units worth going through his website .

Soon I will let u guys know what I achieved .

DR-Asad Farooqui
                  I think you have a few things mixed up.

!st is waxes tars and heavy oils

2nd is kerosene’s and diesel.

3rd is petroleum’s

4th is gasses

Follow these links for more info

• Diesel fuel
                  • Gasoline
                  • Heating oil
                  • Jet fuel
                  • Kerosene
                  • Lubricant
                  • Naphtha
                  • Gas Oil Separation Plant

This should help you understand the differences between the fuels

The difference beween Diesel Fuel and kerosene

More info on the temperatures of separation

Fractional Distillation of Crude Oil

Comment

I think you have a few things mixed up.

1st is waxes tars and heavy oils

2nd is kerosene’s and diesel.

3rd is petroleum’s

4th is gasses...
                    I think it depends if you are using a fully fledged fractionating column
                    when it is certainly true.
                    BBC - GCSE Bitesize: Fractional distillation
                    GCSE SCIENCE CHEMISTRY HIGH SCHOOL - Fractional Distillation - Crude Oil - gcsescience.com.

I am not so sure if you are using a simple tube exiting the chamber.

Comment

Dear mbrownn

Thank you for the invaluable link above. Those who want it can download it here http://astro.elte.hu/~hetesizs/FFEK/...20Plastics.pdf

It discusses several catalysts for this process. The best commercial one seems to be FCC catalyst. (Fluid catalytic cracking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Does anyone know where to buy it in small quantities? Google search came up with metric tonne suppliers basically. And how does one use it with the Jetijs reactor? Do you mix it with the shredded plasctics or pass the vapours through it?

Noonya

Comment

• It seems complicated to do the whole process in one go. Would it be better to render the plastic to a brown goo, and then pass this to a distillation process?
                        Dave F

Comment

• aluminium oxide brick

hello....where i can get the aluminium oxide brick if i want to buy in small quantity??...is it we can get at ordinary hardware shop or chemical shop??...can we used other materials instead using the aluminium oxide brick..such as clay or ceramic block??...please response to this thread if anybody know it...today i have to do the lab experiment about this project for my school project..so this is the lab apparatus arrangement...can anybody comment about it...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by wrtner View Post
                            I think it depends if you are using a fully fledged fractionating column
                            when it is certainly true.
                            BBC - GCSE Bitesize: Fractional distillation
                            GCSE SCIENCE CHEMISTRY HIGH SCHOOL - Fractional Distillation - Crude Oil - gcsescience.com.

I am not so sure if you are using a simple tube exiting the chamber.
                            Hi, I think it is a combined process when use pyrolosis.

The cracking occurs in the reactor vessel then the rest of it is fractional distillation. I worked on a xylene still at Croda chemicals in the UK and it looks very similar. The only noticeable difference was a stirring device in the big tank and it was running at a much lower temperature. Used paint thinners that had been used for cleaning spraying equipment at Nissan was boiled to recover the xylene and the cellulose was then dried out and used as fuel.

Recycling is big business

Comment

• Originally posted by D Fitzgerald View Post
                              It seems complicated to do the whole process in one go. Would it be better to render the plastic to a brown goo, and then pass this to a distillation process?
                              Dave F
                              It would be easier to control the temperature in a two stage process and therefore easier to get clean fuels.

Comment

• Source for aluminum oxide bricks

If you read thru this thread, Jetsis has covered this; find a place that supplies people who make ceramic pottery; they supply kilns, kiln making supplies and clay to schools, and people who do pottery as a hobby or profession.They will be able to sell you the bricks, or tell you where you can get them.See if your school art teacher or dept. has any sources.Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X