No announcement yet.

How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Jetijs, thanks for all your info... Have you given anymore thought to catalyst??

Comment

• equipment or material needed

hi...
      i want to ask some question about your project...i just want to know the detail list of the material used and equipment used in this project and the picture of each of the item part by part...can u just show to me the schematic diagram of this project?...the electrical part just confused me..can u explain in easy word the arrangement of the electrical components and how to make the heating coil work..
      i want to ask because i want to make one but in smaller scale in my school project..with your helps maybe it works and i really appreciated it.....and i dont know where to start and make it works...i hope with your guidelines i can do it...

Comment

• Originally posted by dutchdivco View Post
        Very concerned about the info in post 172, regarding dioxin production....
        He has had a month to respond to my post asking for references
        and has failed to do so....

Comment

• Feed Stocks

Hi Russ, I also have just recently joined and am hooked on the idea of producing fuel from plastics. I'm coming at it at a slightly different angle ,as I currently have about 15tons of used ton bags and think they would be suitable to shead and convert into fuel.We are based in Scotland and would like to talk further with you to ask how you've been getting on with developing your reactor .

Comment

• Originally posted by knightchess12029 View Post
            hi...
            i want to ask some question about your project...i just want to know the detail list of the material used and equipment used in this project and the picture of each of the item part by part...can u just show to me the schematic diagram of this project?...the electrical part just confused me..can u explain in easy word the arrangement of the electrical components and how to make the heating coil work..
            i want to ask because i want to make one but in smaller scale in my school project..with your helps maybe it works and i really appreciated it.....and i dont know where to start and make it works...i hope with your guidelines i can do it...
            Jetijs has already posted all the details of his reactor in this thread so if you reread it you will find it. As a school project you could do it like the picture I have attached below. It’s very simple really, the reactor is 400 to 500 deg C and the rest of the vessels held at the temperatures required for the fuels you want to collect.

The problem you need to avoid is using the wrong plastic, try to use clean polyethylene as there are no toxins with this as far as I am aware.

@wrtner

I would be interested in more info on this, not much is said on the internet about this.

@Scott Fraser

I believe Shanks and McEwen, a toxic waste company, use this process to break down tyres in your area, maybe you could get more info from them if they are still in business. I would put a centrifugal (Cyclone) filter in line to remove carbon dust before the first condenser if I were doing it on your scale. They are simple to make and work on the same principal as a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

I worked as a contractor at a few recycling companies when I lived in the UK, they were always quiet about pyrolisis but now I know that is how they produced fuel to run their plants.

If you control the temperature of the condensers you will get better purity fuels. I will be building a 10kg prototype in the next few months, hopefully next year I will be able to start to address the plastic pollution problem where I live now.
            Attached Files

Comment

• wrtner

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
              He has had a month to respond to my post asking for references
              and has failed to do so....
              I'm sorry, were you directing this to me? Or are you saying you asked the person who posted post 172, and he never responded?Makes you wonder about the whole validity of his post, warning all of us we could be releasing dioxin if we make this, huh?Jim

Comment

• About vacuum pump..

HI Jetjis,
                Probably I'm wrong but initially on thread you have ask that need to eliminated the oxygen (air) inside reactor but from your scheme I don't find any vacuum pump or sensor of vacuum. I attach the updated diagram with catalyst stage. Can you reply me? Thanks in advance Alex
                Last edited by tutanka; 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbrownn View Post
                  Jetijs has already posted all the details of his reactor in this thread so if you reread it you will find it. As a school project you could do it like the picture I have attached below. It’s very simple really, the reactor is 400 to 500 deg C and the rest of the vessels held at the temperatures required for the fuels you want to collect.

The problem you need to avoid is using the wrong plastic, try to use clean polyethylene as there are no toxins with this as far as I am aware.

@wrtner

I would be interested in more info on this, not much is said on the internet about this.

@Scott Fraser

I believe Shanks and McEwen, a toxic waste company, use this process to break down tyres in your area, maybe you could get more info from them if they are still in business. I would put a centrifugal (Cyclone) filter in line to remove carbon dust before the first condenser if I were doing it on your scale. They are simple to make and work on the same principal as a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

I worked as a contractor at a few recycling companies when I lived in the UK, they were always quiet about pyrolisis but now I know that is how they produced fuel to run their plants.

If you control the temperature of the condensers you will get better purity fuels. I will be building a 10kg prototype in the next few months, hopefully next year I will be able to start to address the plastic pollution problem where I live now.
                  I Want to ask u about the picture u attached at your last post...the set up experiment for school project...can we just burn the plastic in test tube to 400 - 500 degrees Celcius with Bunsen burner...?? and just set up the lab equipment based on the picture you attached??...or we can just put the plastic inside round bottom neck and put it in heating mantle and put the condenser to cool down the gas produced...is there any effect of high temperature to the test tube glass or round bottom neck??....

i hope u will explain to me and do reply me...your help is mostly needed..thank you for your concern and reply to my post recently...

Comment

• Originally posted by dutchdivco View Post
                    I'm sorry, were you directing this to me? Or are you saying you asked the person who posted post 172, and he never responded?Makes you wonder about the whole validity of his post, warning all of us we could be releasing dioxin if we make this, huh?Jim
                    Yes, that was my point. I now question his motive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetijs View Post
                      Hi, great to see you here
                      Do you use any catalysts in your reactions?
                      Thanks,
                      Jetijs
                      As catalist you can use powder of sodium (see diagram posted) and you solve also problem of dioxin because Na+ absorb Cl- creating salt.
                      Please don't use sodium with water.. very dangerous
                      Last edited by tutanka; 03-05-2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Dechlorination of vapor

When waste plastic raw material contains PVC, the vapor produced from the anaerobic reactor may contain Chlorine, thus requiring the process of dechlorination in order to avoid corrosion and production of Dioxin.
                        One can use the process for manufacturing Calcium Chloride to accomplish the dechlorination.
                        Force the gas containing Chlorine to pass through a scrubber containing aquous solution of Calcium Hydroxide, or Calcium Carbonate.
                        Chemical reaction will take place, producing Calcium Chloride and water; or Calcium Chloride and Carbon Dioxide.
                        The process is well known in the Industrial sector of Calcium Chloride.
                        aaron5120

Comment

• shredded plastic

is anyone doing the shredding themselves if so how??

Comment

• Hello all.
                            I don't post much lately because I really have nothing to add at this time and all the info you need is already shared, just read all the posts though. We will start to work on this again in about a month or so, then we will have new info.

rooneyassoc777, I shredd my plastics myself using a shredder, I posted pictures of that machine earlier, but shredding is not really needed, it just makes the process more efficient as you can stuff more of it in the reactor. It will still work good if you have bigger pieces. A vertical band saw is a great tool to cut plastics into smaller bits, before the shredder we used that and cut all the plastic boxes and truck mudguards into a matchbox sized pieces. Worked well
                            It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

• Jetijs like Clanzer, Peter lindamann and MANY others, you could not post for 100 years and we still owe you

sorry Bro.

Ash

Comment

• Yeah

Wtner, I too question his motive.Thanks Tutanka, for answering the question about how to relatively easily resolve this 'problem' of dioxin.I got to say, this had me 'scared off' for awhile.I didn't look at your schematic, but the question of eliminating the oxygen, so you can have an aerobic melting, was answered earlier in the thread; if you have a bubbler at some point near the end of the process, than as you haet things up, the O2 will be pushed out early on, and you will have an aerobic process. It isn't neccesary to pump all the air out, before heating.Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X