How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MaturitySpring View Post
    Since it is melted in an aerobic condition...
    The process happens in the absence of air, anaerobic. The final product
    should be a flammable gas which I believe fron higher up this thread
    will give no worse bi-products than butane or propane.

Comment

• Alternative energy 'source', and eco-friendly

Maybe its semantics, but this isn't a truly NEW or alternative source of energy, in the way that solar or wind is.It is RECYCLING.Turning plastic back into what it originally was; petroleum.
      As for ecology, one would have to do tests, but presumably burning the 'Diesel' produced by this process would be no cleaner or dirtier than burning pump diesel, likewise for the 'Gasoline' and the 'Propane/butane flammable gas(vapor) produced.However, if this creates a 'market' for shredded, recycled milk cartons (?) that means said cartons won't end up in land fills, and less crude oil used to make fuel.Long term effects are difficult/impossible to judge;States may insist on taxing this fuel, same as pump fuel.Cost of shredded plastic may go up, to the point, (eventually) that it is as expensive as pump fuel.Large companies may develop, to capitalise on this process, and thru economic forces and regulation, push the little guy/individual out.Look whats happened with WVO and Biodiesel.;-( So, guess if we're gonna get in, better do it quick.
      Fortunately, as previously posted, can buy and stockpile this plastic now, without the problems involved in Veg oil.;-) Jim

Comment

• Wondering ---aside from the corrosion, which could be taken care of with 303 stainless steel piping and reactor, is there any way to capture the chlorine released when processing PVC? Any non-industrial use for it? Any way to safely (not necessarily EPA approved!) dispose of it?

Comment

• = Welcome to Plastic2Petrol -> Conversion of Waste Plastic to Energy =

Comment

• Originally posted by wrtner View Post
            The process happens in the absence of air, anaerobic.
            My bad, I wanted to refer to anaerobic environment. Thanks for replying!

Comment

• Originally posted by avro539 View Post
              Hi MaturitySpring..I think you are confused what bio fuel is ...it needs chemicals mixed with it to process it ...biofuel can very dangerous to prepare....the way this is cracked from PP would be very very low and not likely to cause any danger in its preparation...there will be alcohol residual from the condencer...but you will exhaust this with a burn pipe....what is left over in the heating still is ash and could be pressed into briketts and used in a wood stove ......Doug
              Thanks for pointing my misconception. The end product is the alcohol residual which can be process to become biofuel?

Comment

• temp question

For Jetijs or anyone else who might know,

I started a batch of bio and plastic and am curious at what temp the gas begins to form for the torch?

On a side note, I am needing to better insulate my reactor as I am losing heat out the side somewhat. I'm still hoping I can get through with this batch even though the efficiency is down and I will improve on it afterward.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comment

• My update

Hello Jetijs, and all,

My first batch did not heat well. The tank I used was a 25 gallon air compressor tank and with only a few inches of barrel to insulate it; it was not enough. I was using sand and fiberglass and a simple propane weed torch for the heat. The thermocouple was placed similar to Jetijs, through the lid. By the time I was ready for bed, the temp was 200 f. I got up the next morning with the propane tank about empty with a slight flame and resting at 200 f. I'm not sure how high it got but my guess was only about 250 f. max. I did check the first tank and did still get about a half of cup of fuel. I poured a tad in a pie pan and lit it with a hand torch and it burned right off the plate.

For sealing the lid on the reactor I used 1/2 flat steel, and to make the final seal I made a circle of 12 awg copper wire that I braised. I sanded the joint a tad and then put a layer of copper coat to help make the seal. I started with 4 - 5/8" bolts but then roughly made it into 8 bolts to hold the seal.

I plan to go ahead and make a wood fired unit (we live in the woods) and with lots more insulation for the reactor.

It will take a little more time for me as I'm wanting to make an insulated room outside dedicated to this little project.

Thanks Jetijs,

Andrew

Comment

• Check this out, you'll be glad you did!

If you like this idea, (and I do) you'll LOVE this one, too.No direct tie-in, but its a really novel, doable concept! On this forum, "Friction Steam Boiler".
                    Like this processor, its got a simple elegance! Enjoy! Jim

Comment

• Any ideas?

Hi guys,
                      This is for any out there, Jet/Dutch etc who have any ideas to control the heat input from a waste oil burner to heat the reactor. My idea was to have an upright 15 kg old propane cylinder insulated externally with firebricks with an exposed area toward the bottom where the burner flame could heat the bare cylinder. Outlet pipe at top takes 350-400C gases into water cooled condenser (What temp do I have to bring these gases down to to condense out heavier fractions i.e diesel/fuel oil and/or parafins). Then out to another condenser to condense out petrol/gasoline and finally water bubbler to collect any residual and collect gas. I am looking for ideas to control temps in reactor and both condensers (thought perhaps thermostatic valves for control of water flow in condensers - any thoughts?). Has anyone done anything with ABS plastics (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (number 7 on the resins identification scale)? It may be off topic here but has anyone attempted a similar thermal de-polymerization process with waste motor oil/transmission oil. Thanks for any ideas in advance.

Russ

Comment

• Its about time.

I have been doing this for a couple years now and I am glad to see it
                        is starting to catch on.
                        One thing I noticed in this thread is nobody has used the gasoline
                        for much.
                        I have personally logged over 2000 miles on my 2006 Dodge Dakota
                        2 wheel drive 4cyl 5 speed stick throttle body injection gasoline engine
                        with no problems as of yet and it runs like it's on premium gasoline.

I have also run it in my mud boggers 1 with 318 small block carb'd
                        all stock and 1 with 500ci dodge 12.5-1 compression race engine
                        and it worked good there also.

The fuel oil goes into my furnace usually mixed with used motor oil or
                        vegetable oil that i get for free and the same into my Listeroid 16/1
                        diesel engine running a 12kw china st gen head making about 10Kw.

I am still on the grid but this helps greatly on my bills.
                        I am also carbogger on youtube if you want to see my vids

Comment

• Hi carbogger...I will have a look at your Utube vids....Can you describe your set up ..is it electric or gas fired...boiler and diamentions..boiler temperature controlers.... condensers.. condenser cooling.. temps on the condencers..safety features.....turnaround time for cracking...How much PP do you crack each time and how much does it produce...sorry for all the questions ...but I am defiantly going to build one to run a diesel 10 KVA generator this year and the gasoline left over can power the lawn mower...Doug

Comment

• Wow, good results carbogger.

The bad thing is that carbogger needs some financial support to continue his research.

I am getting very interested to experiment using things I learn from this tread. If there will be more people thinking, experimenting, sharing info on how to improve the process, I guess that everybody involved in the process will benefit from it.

Comment

• Thought of this after reading one of Dutch's post.
                              Its a very simple fluidized bed reactor that utilizes very hot exhaust/gas.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbogger View Post
                                I have been doing this for a couple years now and I am glad to see it
                                is starting to catch on.
                                One thing I noticed in this thread is nobody has used the gasoline
                                for much.
                                I have personally logged over 2000 miles on my 2006 Dodge Dakota
                                2 wheel drive 4cyl 5 speed stick throttle body injection gasoline engine
                                with no problems as of yet and it runs like it's on premium gasoline.

I have also run it in my mud boggers 1 with 318 small block carb'd
                                all stock and 1 with 500ci dodge 12.5-1 compression race engine
                                and it worked good there also.

The fuel oil goes into my furnace usually mixed with used motor oil or
                                vegetable oil that i get for free and the same into my Listeroid 16/1
                                diesel engine running a 12kw china st gen head making about 10Kw.

I am still on the grid but this helps greatly on my bills.
                                I am also carbogger on youtube if you want to see my vids
                                Hi, great to see you here
                                Do you use any catalysts in your reactions?
                                Thanks,
                                Jetijs
                                It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X