Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RAMSET View Post
    Jetijs
    Thank you just isn't good enough ..................
    You are an amazing man with "Mad "Skills!!You inspire men to action[myself being one ]This is priceless!
    We will be following your new "self run" direction with great interest!
    Can you post a link to your Carb idea??[why waste the Fuel we make?]

    Thanks
    Chet
    PS
    Thanks to all here that help !
    PPS
    Jetijs Was it you that played with the Turbine?
    Thank you for the compliment


    This is the carb idea:
    Hello.
    Based of what I know on thermal depolymerisation of hydrocarbon chains, I believe I know now how to build a 200 miles per gallon fuel system. In my experience with hho, ioonizers and plasma plugs, I am certain now, that they do not add extra energy in the engine, they just help to use the fuel to its full potential, just like catalysts. Gasoline and diesel have much more power in them than a typical engine uses and much of the fuel is just wasted. I am now convinced that it should be fairly easy to get the most out of hydrocarbon fuels reaching mileages up to 200 miles per gallon. In my country it is popular to convert car engines to run on propane or butane, because it is a bit cheaper than liquid fuels. I have some friends who did that and they also tried hho, on their engines, but none of the gas systems showed any gain, why? We will come to that. Also we are the closest EU country to Russia so we have experience with Russian and European fuels. Russian standards are way lower than those of EU. Most of the people who have tried both, report a better mileage with EU fuels than when Russian fuels are used. For example, my friend got 100km per 7 liters of EU fuel, and he needed 8 liters of Russian fuel to get the same distance. This is important.
    This shows that although both fuels are hydrocarbon based, there is a major difference between them and the difference is the volume of light fractions in the fuel. The EU fuel has more of them per volume than the Russian fuel. But nevertheless even EU fuel is not so good considering how much mileage you get and how much you could get if you used it fully. So now lets move on. What are hydrocarbon chains? Most of you already know that. If you have very long chains, then you get polymers, like polyethylene and polypropylene, chop those chains shorter and you will get oils, tars, waxes. Chop those chains smaller, you will get diesel, chop the diesel hydrocarbon chains and you will get gasoline. Chop those chains even smaller and you will get propane and butane. This can easily be done with heat, like what we do on the "fuel from waste plastics" thread. So if the modern fuels have much long hydrocarbon chains in it, it makes sense to chop them smaller, preferably to the propane and butane range as that is a gas and not liquid and would not need to be turned into vapor or mist when mixed with air as that process is not the most efficient. If you have fuel gas, you will get the best possible gas/air mixture quality and get most of the fuel out. This is why no gains are seen when hho is used on propane/butane fueled cars. The gas systems on cars are rather cheap and easy to install, but the major disadvantage is that you need pressure vessels to store the propane and butane, they have limited volume and take up a lot of space. So you get less miles per refill. If we used a system that uses liquid hydrocarbons and crack them into propane and butane on the fly, we would get most of the fuel out and store way more of the fuel in the tank in liquid form, so you could get some 3-5 times further with one full tank. The cracking process just needs heat and there is more than enough heat produced in the engine, it is just a matter of delivering it where it is needed. Just warming the fuel won't work well, you need to heat it to the thermal cracking point. I believe this is how the Pogue carburetor works. I would propose the following design, take a metal container with fuel, heat it up to the cracking temperature, let the vapors through some long copper pipe coils in a cone shape or any other shape that would allow the cooled and condensed fuel to flow back into the heat chamber. The output from the condenser coils would that go through a small compressor and into a storage buffer tank. The pressurized gas would then be delivered to the engine intake.
    Such a system should be able to run on all sorts of different fuels, liquid and even solid, like plastics. As long as there are hydrocarbons in there. It could run on waste oil, tars, ever animal fats.
    Till recent I did not know about thermal cracking and thermal depolymerisation and I thought that only heating the fuel to some 200 degrees would be enough. No wonder that when I tried that, the vapors turned back into liquid very fast when cooled - the temperature was way too low.
    What do you think about this?
    More on this here:
    http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...designs-2.html

    I found out that a person I know already has tried it and he reports that yes - it is possible to turn all the hydrocarbons to gasses like methane, propane, butane and hydrogen and to run an engine on it. You just need high enough temperatures, around 700 degree celsius.
    And the only turbine I have played with was a small Tesla turbine
    It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

    Comment


    • hello
      I come with some pics and reasults

      Finally yesterday I produced 6 liters of diesel with 3 hours of work. the difference was a boiler (reactor) more filled. so less room for gases, so less cracking of gaz after production.

      But I got a partial contamination problem. because I was not able to manage the wmo level inside the boiler, I was using a timer with the hope I would not send more waste oil than boiled. but finally I had an excess and some waste oil was directly collected.

      my set up was no more producing at 420C, so this morning I opened it to look how is the remaining wmo. It is very thick. Really, as the guy at WasteOilDiesel.com - Used Oil Recycling Waste Oil Into Usable Diesel
      I understand very clearly that we can't process all the oil. We can only get diesel for about 50% of it. If we want to get something from the remaining, we just need to heat more, until 700C like I did, but will get only gaz, and tar (coke) at the bottom of boiler (a lot maybe)

      So unless we want to make gaz, the best would be to burn it properly to feed the machine (but I hate that, I fear for my health, heavy metals etc)

      here some pict of my set up.



      reactor once removed. long pipe welded at half (left) is to get the liquid level. This one I will remove it and weld at higher area, and I will repair the level device.
      at right is the output, to be connected with an aircond flare to a long copper pipe, that acts as a condenser. the pipe behind the boiler is for the thermocouple.

      the aircond connecting valve at left is for new wmo injection into the reactor



      this is the vacuum collection tank. big aircond connecting valve is to connect to condensing pipe, small one is to connect the vacuum pump, and bottom valve is to remove the produced diesel when needed.



      Thank to Jetijs if he has an idea or comment

      Comment


      • I opened the reactor today (by cutting)

        no real coke formation seems to have happened from the new try at the temp around 400C.

        the estimated amount of wmo input was about 12 liter, diesel output about 6 liters, estimated (not measured) 4 or 5 liter very heavy waste oil remaining that would not crack at 400C.

        It seems to me if I flush out periodically the remaining heavy oil, I could run the reactor a long time without the need to remove coke in it.

        seems viable, although I have to find a way to get rid of the very heavy oils. I could process it into another reactor at 700C & I would get a lot of coke and a lot of gaz. Burn it into a genset and sell it as renewal energy to the grit power company... or inject it to the grit to reverse my electrictity consumption. no so simple and needs looking after the process and genset.

        or look at reforming catalysts to convert part of the gaz into liquid fuels.

        here several kind of interesting catalyst :

        Waste Oil Refining Catalyst - Detailed info for Waste Oil Refining Catalyst,waste oil refining catalyst,Waste Oil Refining Catalyst,QY-CA001 on Alibaba.com

        Jetijs why don't you use a turning horizontal drum like the chinese do ? it gives more contact between the solids like you the plastics, would be like inside a concrete mixer it would let you produce much quicker. The main problem is the turning joint that have to withstand the temperature. Are they using rings seals like on piston engines, and turbos ?

        About the insulation, your bricks are very interesting. I personnaly use rockwool, 10 cm thick and it works well too, until high temperature it is still OK, As I used it until 780C without damage (by the way some glass wool I used was melted at these temperatures).


        waste tire recycling equipment ( fuel oil , carbon black and steel wire) Sales, Buy waste tire recycling equipment ( fuel oil , carbon black and steel wire) Products from alibaba.com

        Comment


        • A very good development. Can this be used as a way to recycle plastic?
          SunFusion Solar

          Comment


          • Islaned, a great setup you have there Thanks for sharing the pictures

            Sun Fusion, this is indeed recycling of plastic in the best meaning of the word.
            Last edited by Jetijs; 05-16-2011, 06:51 PM.
            It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

            Comment


            • Ditto Kudos!

              "Islaned, a great setup you gave there Thanks for sharing the pictures " I second, way to go! Jim

              Comment


              • Originally posted by islander View Post
                I opened the reactor today (by cutting)

                no real coke formation seems to have happened from the new try at the temp around 400C.

                the estimated amount of wmo input was about 12 liter, diesel output about 6 liters, estimated (not measured) 4 or 5 liter very heavy waste oil remaining that would not crack at 400C.

                It seems to me if I flush out periodically the remaining heavy oil, I could run the reactor a long time without the need to remove coke in it.

                seems viable, although I have to find a way to get rid of the very heavy oils. I could process it into another reactor at 700C & I would get a lot of coke and a lot of gaz. Burn it into a genset and sell it as renewal energy to the grit power company... or inject it to the grit to reverse my electrictity consumption. no so simple and needs looking after the process and genset.

                or look at reforming catalysts to convert part of the gaz into liquid fuels.

                here several kind of interesting catalyst :

                Waste Oil Refining Catalyst - Detailed info for Waste Oil Refining Catalyst,waste oil refining catalyst,Waste Oil Refining Catalyst,QY-CA001 on Alibaba.com

                Jetijs why don't you use a turning horizontal drum like the chinese do ? it gives more contact between the solids like you the plastics, would be like inside a concrete mixer it would let you produce much quicker. The main problem is the turning joint that have to withstand the temperature. Are they using rings seals like on piston engines, and turbos ?

                About the insulation, your bricks are very interesting. I personnaly use rockwool, 10 cm thick and it works well too, until high temperature it is still OK, As I used it until 780C without damage (by the way some glass wool I used was melted at these temperatures).


                waste tire recycling equipment ( fuel oil , carbon black and steel wire) Sales, Buy waste tire recycling equipment ( fuel oil , carbon black and steel wire) Products from alibaba.com
                Dear Islander,
                Great development and really good set up.
                I am also in process to built one setup for Plastic reprocessing.
                A. Please give the details of the Burner u have used?
                B. Is it avaliable on eBay ?
                C. Can we burn both Flue Gas and Recovered Oil in these Burners ?
                D. The Diesel produced can be used in diesel Engine Vechiles, or some fitleration need to be done.

                Comment


                • catalyst

                  [QUOTE=islander;140620]I opened the reactor today (by cutting)

                  look at reforming catalysts to convert part of the gaz into liquid fuels.

                  here several kind of interesting catalyst :

                  Waste Oil Refining Catalyst - Detailed info for Waste Oil Refining Catalyst,waste oil refining catalyst,Waste Oil Refining Catalyst,QY-CA001 on Alibaba.com

                  Thanks Islander ;

                  The catalyst site U mentioned is worth trying. Specially there "Silicon/Aluminium" is a Filteration-catalyst which they claim makes the diesel odourless & light golden yellow in color .
                  Does Anyone in the community tried such catalyst .

                  Comment


                  • Getting rid of the smell

                    Getting rid of the smell !!
                    There are two successful ways to remove the stink [ which is H2S or Hydrogen Sulphide ]
                    1: Add about 3-5% Hydrated Lime to your feedstock , During the Thermal cracking process you'll have more Hydrogen which is good and the waste product is Calcium Sulphate in the Slag
                    [ this method is commonly used on a gassifier ]

                    2: If you don't crack your feedstock all the way back to a "Slag" , I would suggest using "Iron sponge" as a filter after the condenser to treat the gas steam [ refineries do this ]

                    click here: CONNELLY-GPM INC. IRON SPONGE FOR SULFUR CONTROL

                    found this on on the net may be some help

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by skippy View Post
                      Getting rid of the smell !!
                      There are two successful ways to remove the stink [ which is H2S or Hydrogen Sulphide ]
                      1: Add about 3-5% Hydrated Lime to your feedstock , During the Thermal cracking process you'll have more Hydrogen which is good and the waste product is Calcium Sulphate in the Slag
                      [ this method is commonly used on a gassifier ]

                      2: If you don't crack your feedstock all the way back to a "Slag" , I would suggest using "Iron sponge" as a filter after the condenser to treat the gas steam [ refineries do this ]

                      click here: CONNELLY-GPM INC. IRON SPONGE FOR SULFUR CONTROL

                      found this on on the net may be some help
                      Dear friend,
                      Thanks for the valuable info.
                      I dont know much about chemistry so plz explain
                      what is this Hydrate Lime and how can i get it.
                      Can i use this in Waste Plastic pyrolysis process.

                      Comment


                      • to Hurkatm

                        your questions :
                        A : The burner is the only thing I would not share info I invent it, it was huge job, and not already patented.
                        but you probably can buy plans here HOME or here WasteOilDiesel.com - Used Oil Recycling Waste Oil Into Usable Diesel , they seem have a good burner development !

                        if someone have bought those I would like to know about the reasults, of course I won't ask to disclose the plans.

                        B : not available on ebay but have some kinds of burners named babington burner you can see them on youtube

                        YouTube - babington burner

                        C : between the reactor and the insulated housing, you can have a hole with an injector, with little air inlet, and the gaz would burn greatly as the other burner is near, it would ignite very quick and easy without any problems


                        D : it is a problem to get clean oil with my set up, although it's improving and not so bad. the problem is the fumes occuring inside the reactor, fumes are not gasses, they are solid carbon, seems to be. they contaminate the clean oil when condensing. but according to the set up you made, I beleive should have a way to find, maybe a liquid barrier at high temp or alike ?

                        anyway before putting anything in your vehicle, I strongly recommend you filter it.even if you get clean oil, you always can have sand or dirt coming in , at least during handling etc... who knows.

                        hydrated lime is quite pure calcium stone cooked, then you pour water on it, it makes a reaction that gives heat, then that's done you have hydrated lime.
                        In china they still uses it to build houses. They buy lime at the maker, then put it in ponds and pump lots of water on it.


                        To skippy :

                        Your link and idea is interesting. But it would be only to treat the gaz after the diesel condenser, but usually we burn it, so...

                        this would be interesting if it could treat the diesel during the gaseous phase. But they wrote the iron sponge has to be moist with water. Unfortunately we only have the diesel gases at high temperature, seems we can't use it to clean it.

                        I'll try your hydrated lime system, as I have some. Yes it seems we get coke because haven't enough hydrogen in the waste oil. If it works, it would be great ! But it's a powder, May be it would go down into the WMO in the reactor, not stay suspended. And I wonder if it can pass by my feeding valve.

                        to Asad Farooqui :

                        thanks for mention it ! I even haven't seen it ! yes, looks too good to be true ! I'll buy samples very soon !!!

                        to Jetijs :

                        thanks ! but if you have improving ideas !
                        I choosed the wmo way instead of plastic, because it's much easy and quick to get and handle, also could be continuously processed instead of batches for plastic. But one day I could try it too.

                        Comment


                        • for plastic recycling, look at here :

                          have interesting pictures

                          Plastic environmental equipment - Detailed info for Plastic environmental equipment,Plastic environmental equipment,Plastic environmental equipment,QYDL-22 on Alibaba.com

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by islander View Post
                            to Hurkatm

                            your questions :
                            A : The burner is the only thing I would not share info I invent it, it was huge job, and not already patented.
                            but you probably can buy plans here HOME or here WasteOilDiesel.com - Used Oil Recycling Waste Oil Into Usable Diesel , they seem have a good burner development !

                            if someone have bought those I would like to know about the reasults, of course I won't ask to disclose the plans.

                            B : not available on ebay but have some kinds of burners named babington burner you can see them on youtube

                            YouTube - babington burner

                            C : between the reactor and the insulated housing, you can have a hole with an injector, with little air inlet, and the gaz would burn greatly as the other burner is near, it would ignite very quick and easy without any problems


                            D : it is a problem to get clean oil with my set up, although it's improving and not so bad. the problem is the fumes occuring inside the reactor, fumes are not gasses, they are solid carbon, seems to be. they contaminate the clean oil when condensing. but according to the set up you made, I beleive should have a way to find, maybe a liquid barrier at high temp or alike ?

                            anyway before putting anything in your vehicle, I strongly recommend you filter it.even if you get clean oil, you always can have sand or dirt coming in , at least during handling etc... who knows.

                            hydrated lime is quite pure calcium stone cooked, then you pour water on it, it makes a reaction that gives heat, then that's done you have hydrated lime.
                            In china they still uses it to build houses. They buy lime at the maker, then put it in ponds and pump lots of water on it.


                            To skippy :

                            Your link and idea is interesting. But it would be only to treat the gaz after the diesel condenser, but usually we burn it, so...

                            this would be interesting if it could treat the diesel during the gaseous phase. But they wrote the iron sponge has to be moist with water. Unfortunately we only have the diesel gases at high temperature, seems we can't use it to clean it.

                            I'll try your hydrated lime system, as I have some. Yes it seems we get coke because haven't enough hydrogen in the waste oil. If it works, it would be great ! But it's a powder, May be it would go down into the WMO in the reactor, not stay suspended. And I wonder if it can pass by my feeding valve.

                            to Asad Farooqui :

                            thanks for mention it ! I even haven't seen it ! yes, looks too good to be true ! I'll buy samples very soon !!!

                            to Jetijs :

                            thanks ! but if you have improving ideas !
                            I choosed the wmo way instead of plastic, because it's much easy and quick to get and handle, also could be continuously processed instead of batches for plastic. But one day I could try it too.
                            A : The burner is the only thing I would not share info I invent it, it was huge job, and not already patented.
                            Great Job Islander you must patent it . its ur know-how, but u are in the forum where our Respected member Mr. Jetijs have shared the great great information and know-how to every one.
                            I just want to know if ur burner is capable for both Flue Gasas and Produced oil.
                            also plz let me know when u are making it commercial.
                            Hope to get one.

                            Comment


                            • Hi all , i am a new member. am a member of various wvo sites and am mainly interested in blending fuel to use in my 3 x diesel vans. however i am curious at this set up in getting oil back from shredded plastic. i will read the complete post. is there any tried and tested system for home use that you guys now can reccomend ( that i can make ) so i can become part of this. also i have a farmer who has 3000 l of waste engine oil. he has 3 phase electric as well . i think i can help him out and in turn it will help me. great info on this topic. thanks shaun in kent uk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X