No announcement yet.

How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey I still read throught the forum but don't have much time I'm still on page 16 so I apologize if I ask something that has been answered further ahead.

Does anyone knows or have or knows where could be downloaded some scematic of this japanise blest copmany device
    Blest.co.Ltd., "english catalogue"

I think it will be usefull to have it in hand. And will be way cheaper to DYI the device rather paying for it.

thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by imakebiodiesel View Post
      My test reactor processes 1 kg of waste plastic at a time. I am in the middle of constructing a larger 80kg unit at the moment.
      In my last full test of a catalyst. I processed 11 kg of plastic in 11 batches before the 200gms of catalyst stopped working, ie the fuel darkened and waxed slightly. Im confident that the larger processor will work much better as each time I refill the small unit fresh oxygen gets into the retort.
      My yield per batch was an average of 1120ml of liquid fuel and 46 gms of residual char. The weight of the liquid fuel is 873 grams so that leaves 80 grams of gas.
      Great results. Excellent yield!
      How do you plan to heat your new 80kg reactor?
      Thanks
      http://diydiesel.blogspot.co.nz/

Comment

• The larger unit will be powered by a kerosene burner like the one in the link below. Most households who dont have natural gas connection in Ireland use these burners. I have been testing one and it burns very cleanly on my crude fuel.
        Riello | Products | Oil Burners | 40 Series - Overview

Comment

The larger unit will be powered by a kerosene burner like the one in the link below. Most households who dont have natural gas connection in Ireland use these burners. I have been testing one and it burns very cleanly on my crude fuel.
          Riello | Products | Oil Burners | 40 Series - Overview
          Be careful, I'm afraid that the working temperature of Reactor spoils burner. When the burner reaches operating temperature and turns off. Hot gases will then head back to the burner and destroy . Distorting the spindle motor. Plastic parts will be melted. If burner works without stop, nothing will happen.

Ask me, how do I know that?
          Last edited by otpadnoulje; 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• I suspect you have learned this through bitter experience. Please tell me more, I am just abouit to start building my fire box.

Comment

• burner

Originally posted by otpadnoulje View Post
              Be careful, I'm afraid that the working temperature of Reactor spoils burner. When the burner reaches operating temperature and turns off. Hot gases will then head back to the burner and destroy . Distorting the spindle motor. Plastic parts will be melted. If burner works without stop, nothing will happen.

Ask me, how do I know that?

Hello ;
              The kerosene/gas burner IMBD planning to use is a perfect choice .
              I guess your experience with it was not so good .
              The reason could be you just directly placed the whole burner directly under the reactor.
              Without making a firefox in which only the burner's flaming mouth is Inserted inside & the rest of the burner body is placed Outside so no heat of any sort can effect its plastic parts .

IMBD I hope you get the idea .

Comment

I suspect you have learned this through bitter experience. Please tell me more, I am just abouit to start building my fire box.
                I think that is impossible with conventional burner to do this job. 400 c is coming too. It is not easy to solve this problem.
                My advice is:

use, ozzert burner!

Ozzert/spike drip feed burner - Topic

With slight modifications can ozzert burner feed plastics, tires, wmo, or perpex, as I do.
                Yes, I am burning plexiglass.

Last edited by otpadnoulje; 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• I know the Ozzert burner and it is a very powerful unit but the regulations about burning waste motor oil are very strict here. The design of furnace I am using is adapted from a type of pottery kiln used a lot in the past. This kiln can easily go up to 1200C so I thought my requirement of 4-500C would be no problem.
                  The burner is mounted outside a brick firebox. The retort, where the plastic is heated, is mounted above the fire box, enclosed in an insulated mild steel casing. The flue is at the top of the casing so the heat is constantly moving upwards.
                  I can see how the blast tube of the burner may suffer from the extreme heat because it is the only part of the burner that is actually inside the fire box. These blast tubes are cheap and could be replaced every year or so.
                  The Riello burner in the link has a small shutter which closes the air intake when the burner turns off. So hot gases cannot move back through the burner.
                  You have got me worried now.

Comment

• My burner has mounted outside a brick firebox too. The flue is at the top of the casing so the heat is constantly moving upwards, too. 3m high. I had had Riello burners,too, 3pcs. Now I no longer have any Riello. Only have a bunch of "spare parts".
                    I don't know anything about small shutter.

IMB, you're a very nice person. I learned a lot from you. I'm sorry. I did not want to scare You. I just wanted to save your riellos (yes, plural). This is supposed to be a small token of appreciation.

IMHO
                    In the fire zone, (fire box, flue) is some pressure. Like jet machine.
                    Draft and fan from Riello manage to overcome this pressure. When burner turn off, only draft is not enough, and i had the heat back to burner. Don't forget, the temperature in fire box is more then 400c. maybe over 1000c. These thousanders are very first guests in the living room of our fragile Riello.

I burned 5 burners, 3 Riellos and 2 Weisshaupts. Yes , I am stupid.

Last edited by otpadnoulje; 08-24-2012, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• Components required

Hello sir,
                      Great innovation. CAN YOU PLEASE list out all the things required to make this apparatus as I choose it to be my mechanical engineering project and I have to submit a list of requirements in college. I need to submit it by tomorrow. Also it will be a great help if you provide the estimated cost of everything separately.
                      Reply as fast as possible.
                      Thanx

Comment

• I've read this thread from the beginning, great stuff!

I will be building my own apparatus soon, It will make use of a 100lb propane tank for a reactor vessel and be heated by a electric pottery kiln.

If any of you experimenting with catalysts want an easy way to form the material into small balls you should consider an extruder. I've attached a pic of my shop unit, ( it's ugly but it works ). The die is just an example, it makes clay ropes for hand building vases and such.

Tyski
                        Attached Files

Comment

• platic to fuel

l try today a coffee can with plastic on a 700 watt hotplate l leave it about 15 minutes l try the gas output in a bubler and it burns l wish to know what type of plastic l need that make more petrol like pp ps whice is better one?
                          Last edited by jonathan; 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Otpatnoulje, I appreciate your advice. I have already built my brick fire box and have a spare Riello burner so I am going to go ahead. After hearing your experiences I have made a couple of modifications which may avoid the problems you had. I will use 8 metres of insulated flue to provide a stronger draught. My riello has an automatic shutter which closes as soon as the burner switches off. Lastly I am adding a mechanism which will allow me to slide the burner back out of the fire box once it starts to cycle. I hope this will work but if it does not you will be entitled to say, "I told you so".
                            Tyski your extruder would be very useful for making pellets of clay catalysts, can you explain how it works.
                            I am doing a batch today using Fullers Earth in the reactor with the plastic instead of the bentonite. It will be interesting to see if it works better.

Comment

• imakebiodiesel,
                              The extruder is uses a piece of 4" square tubing for a barrel with a plunger at one end and a die opening at the other, dies are interchangeable and clamped in place. If you a re interested in building one Google " Clay Extruder ", you'll get lots of ideas.

Small tubes of clay catalyst cut to a short length may prove to be good for max surface area.

Comment

• Thanks Tyski, this could be very useful.
                                I finished my batch today using fullers earth. It came out perfectly but I cant say that it was any better than bentonite. A big benefit for me of adding bentonite or fullers earth to the plastic is how easy it is to clean out the retort afterwards. Instead of a sticky grease residue I get clean dry granules. I can clean out the retort with a vacuum cleaner instead of having to scrape it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X