No announcement yet.

How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• but it is indicated that the needed material for this design(converting plastic wastes into diesel) is SHREDDED PLASTICS.. or maybe i just misunderstood those posts..please correct me. so, there's no need to shred the plastic wastes for converting diesel through this design?

Comment

• Scams alive and well

[QUOTE=Marso Green;198776]That post is inaccurate. Their website is still up.
      Tires To Oil | Oil | tyres | Generator | Thermal depolymerisation | tires | tire | Waste | Into | Oil | ERM | fuel | diesel

Guess it was "updated"; it didn't come up on my net for a few weeks. There's another questionable pyrolysis business found on RushFM's Vinny Eastwood show out of New Zealand (April 11 with Roy Harlow)
      CRMoore

crmoore@udel.edu

Comment

• Originally posted by joan27 View Post
        but it is indicated that the needed material for this design(converting plastic wastes into diesel) is SHREDDED PLASTICS.. or maybe i just misunderstood those posts..please correct me. so, there's no need to shred the plastic wastes for converting diesel through this design?
        Bailed SHREDDED PLASTICS was Jetiji's source. Plastic does not have to be shredded to do pyrolysis on. You just need to figure out a way to get it into your retort. If you have to shred it to get it in, then do so. otherwise it will melt as the temperature rises inside the retort. Also, if the chunks are too big, then there might be too much volume lost due to voids.

Also, since Jetiji was not purging his retort, then he needed to pack the plastics in tight to reduce the volume of O2 inside the retort. But, if you purge your retort prior to turning on the heat, which everyone should be doing, then you do not have to worry about O2 in the retort during pyrolysis.
        I have been running various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP since Feb, 2007. I have started the engine with no difficulty and no block heater on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 0F (-18c). I have found that by blending as little as 15% gasoline in the summer, and as much as 50% in the winter, my engine starts and runs as if it was running on diesel fuel.

Comment

• Great to hear this as a topic for a thesis-which college?
          CRMoore

crmoore@udel.edu

Comment

• Would like more details-was the fraudster connected to ERM or another scam?
            CRMoore

crmoore@udel.edu

Comment

• New to thread, have a unit running PE to lamp oil.

Hello

Just discovered this thread, and was warmed by the video of my system showing up a few pages back. (plastic refinery in miniature) I am using all the usual stuff such as propane tank, pressure lid from a paint bucket sealed with stove cement (tapered flange in the shop thanks to Jetijs' idea) and have been using zeolite in fluidized bed external processors, and lately inside the reaction vessel itself. My system is woodfired, and I have been processing PE with an eye on farm waste (greenhouse material, piping, etc).
              On my last run, I let the temperature get up to 500C and had some runaway issues on my burner/flare regulation and will fix that up before the next run. My idea is to use the flare gasses to fire a second cracker to do the second crack to turn it into diesel.

Thanks for all being here discussing this!
              Neil
              Last edited by neilmkearns; 08-07-2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• Hello Neil, welcome to the thread. Your outfit looks really impressive. Im sure lots of members will have questions so I thought Id get in first. What sort of volume does your reactor handle? How much plastic in, how much fuel out? When you say zeolite catalyst, what type of zeolite and how much? How long does it last?

Comment

• re: plastic refinery in miniature

Hi

My current system is capable of 10Gal. volumn, and that roughly equates to 16lbs of cut poly sheeting. The catalyst I use is standard water absorbing little beads, a type called molecular sieve. I used 2lbs in this last batch, and will be attempting to reform them today using an oxy butane flame with increasing oxygenation to burn off the coke.
                  This last run yeilded over 2 gallons, which surprised me by overflowing the receiver container. New protocols in effect to be sure, as well as a distant high capacity flare off area and containment basins all around.
                  Last edited by neilmkearns; 08-07-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• I have some molecular seive that I used for purifying recovered methanol, I might give it a try. It would have to be regeneratable because its quite expensive here. Does your fuel wax or darken after it has been made?

Comment

• Wmo

hi there,

sorry to ask I know it has been discussed somewhere on the thread before. what is the diesel yield for Waste Motor Oil per litre
                      ? I have found a source of this locally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babataku View Post
                        hi there,

sorry to ask I know it has been discussed somewhere on the thread before. what is the diesel yield for Waste Motor Oil per litre
                        ? I have found a source of this locally.
                        I am not sure if anyone here knows the answer to your question, but the diesel yield from cracking plastics is about 35%, so it might be the same for WMO cracking.

Neil, from research reports linked to upthread it appears that cat cracking only increases the yield of light fractions by about 10%, which suggests to me that cat cracking is just too much trouble to bother with on small scale units, such as we are all discussing. Have you tried running your pyrolysis system without catalyst to see what your yield is?
                        I have been running various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP since Feb, 2007. I have started the engine with no difficulty and no block heater on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 0F (-18c). I have found that by blending as little as 15% gasoline in the summer, and as much as 50% in the winter, my engine starts and runs as if it was running on diesel fuel.

Comment

• I dont know if Neil has tried cracking plastics without a catalyst but I have on several occasions. The picture below shows the product of thermal cracking only. The Molecule length has been cracked from roughly C1200 (PE average figure) to about C50.

Comment

• Here is the product of the same plastics processed at the same temperature ( 390c but with my latest catalyst. This has an average molecule length of C14 so in fact the improvement is less than 10% but I think you will agree that the difference is quite important.

Comment

• Just an adjustment to the yield figures for pyrolysis of plastics. Currently I am getting 55% diesel, 28% kerosene,7% gasoline,4% gas and 6% char. Obviously this figure will vary with different catalysts and temperatures. I cant comment on the yield for wmo as I have not tried it.

Comment

• We Are About To Make Your Innovation As Our project

WE ARE ABOUT TO MAKE YOUR INNOVATION AS OUR LAST YEAR PROJECT AND WE NEED REAL ASSISTANCE
                                Iam an engineering student at kannur(GCEK) KERALA .i dont know weather we will succeed in that or not .so i, not i but we need assistance from you.
                                will you please post us the main problems faced during the making of your project.actually we are relly confused about the net expenditure.so reply please.
                                And we are really impressed and we like to make it help us
                                BY ARUN. L. S ,SALIH,NIDHIN,JITHIN MK ,SHAIK ,RASHEED
                                Last edited by arunkumarls; 08-09-2012, 05:01 AM. Reason: NO REASON, JUST FOR CHECKING

Comment

Working...
                                X