• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Lindemann View Post
    Mark,

YES, the zig-zag winding is exactly what I am saying. Try it, you'll like it!

Peter
    LOL, ok I'll try it. It doesn't seem like that would work! Just weaving back and forth thru the slots with no actual coils per say.

LOL, still want to make sure I have this right. After winding the rotor if I'm looking down the shaft of the rotor I would see >< with copper wire going up and down over the symbols. And if I looked at the other side without turning it I would see the same thing except the symbols would be rotated 90 degrees with the wires running horizontal. Is that right, the wire would have the appearance of a 4 bladed fan, 2 blades on each side. One side the blades horizontal and the other side the blades perpendicular?

Sorry to keep bugging you just want to get it right.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Peter, I see that you are on. Did you have a chance to look at my YouTube video and see if I am winding correctly?
    YouTube - 11Turion's Channel

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lindemann
    replied
    Diagram

Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
    Mark, Just wind the whole coil. Easy enough.

@Anybody
    I am just about done and I have pictures and stuff of the progress. So this is MY BIG QUESTION, to help me finish.
    The power goes in one way as DC. We turn the coil ON. The power goes in the coil.
    Which way does Power come out? What leg of the coil should the diode be on.

I got few more things to solder together and I am sure through trial and error I can find this if no one has a definitive plan, but I figure I would see first.

Be back in a couple of hours....

Matt
    Matt,

Here is a diagram I just whipped up for you. It shows the external wiring for a rotor that is set-up with one winding coming out to a set of opposite commutator segments.

Is this what you wanted?

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lindemann
    replied
    Still confused

Originally posted by Mark View Post
    You've got me a little confused here Peter, let me see if I have this correct.
    1. You recommend winding around 5 rotor sections so my rotor pole will be a little wider than the magnet?
    2. Are you saying to wrap one time around sections 1-5 and then over to the other side and wrap one time around 11-16 and then back to one time around 1-5, back and forth. Or is ok to wrap one whole coil around sections 1-5 till full then over to the other side and wrap around 11-16 till its full. Will it make any difference as long as I count how many wraps and keep them equal. It would be easier and use less wire to use the 2nd method.

Another thought here is would it be beneficial to wrap 4 coils (with 1 piece of wire) and repulse off all 4 magnets at once?

Thanks for the guidance, sorry about all the questions.

Mark

P.S. Peter the way I read your description for winding above I'd be just "zig zaging" around the rotor and not actually making any coils per say.
    Mark,

YES, the zig-zag winding is exactly what I am saying. Try it, you'll like it! This allows repulsion off of all 4 magnets in the stator. We are not trying to wind the rotor to create "poles" in the classical sense. All we want to do is put current carrying conductors in front of the stator poles, to produce the 90* off thrust vector, with the least Back EMF.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Lindemann; 01-14-2011, 08:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Ok, here is my YouTube video of how I THINK I am to wind the motor. This is based on what I THINK everyone has told me. Thanks for that by the way guys! If this is correct Peter, please let me know and I'll leave it up so other people who don't have a clue (like me) can see how to do it.
    YouTube - 11Turion's Channel
    Last edited by Turion; 01-14-2011, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Jones
    replied
    1. You recommend winding around 5 rotor sections so my rotor pole will be a little wider than the magnet?
    2. Are you saying to wrap one time around sections 1-5 and then over to the other side and wrap one time around 11-16 and then back to one time around 1-5, back and forth. Or is ok to wrap one whole coil around sections 1-5 till full then over to the other side and wrap around 11-16 till its full. Will it make any difference as long as I count how many wraps and keep them equal. It would be easier and use less wire to use the 2nd method.
    Another thought here is would it be beneficial to wrap 4 coils (with 1 piece of wire) and repulse off all 4 magnets at once?
    Mark
    P.S. Peter the way I read your description for winding above I'd be just "zig zaging" around the rotor and not actually making any coils per say.

Mark, Just wind the whole coil. Easy enough.

@Anybody
    I am just about done and I have pictures and stuff of the progress. So this is MY BIG QUESTION, to help me finish.
    The power goes in one way as DC. We turn the coil ON. The power goes in the coil.
    Which way does Power come out? What leg of the coil should the diode be on.

I got few more things to solder together and I am sure through trial and error I can find this if no one has a definitive plan, but I figure I would see first.

Be back in a couple of hours....

Matt

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Lindemann View Post
    Mark,

20 slots is no problem. You can set it up so it fires twice per revolution and uses all four magnets in the stator. Just wind IN slot #1, OUT slot #6, IN slot #11, OUT slot #16, etc.... around and around until the slots are filled. Then connect the ends of the wires to the appropriately positioned commutator sections and you are good to go!

You will still have to move the second set of brushes to pick up the recovery pulse. Other then that, you are done.

You can start by rewinding with the same diameter wire and see how it runs. If it produces too much Back EMF, you may have to re-wrap it with fewer turns of a bigger wire. There really shouldn't be any other issues.

These motors should work fine for these tests.

Peter

Mark

Last edited by Mark; 01-14-2011, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lindemann
    replied
    Partially Correct

Originally posted by n84dafun View Post
    Peter's quote on poste #170:
    "The final issue is to bias the Back EMF downward on the graph shown in the previous post. To do this, we have to run the motor on a higher voltage than it was or designed to do. So, for instance, if the motor was originally designed to run at 2000 rpm on 12 volts (as in the example above), then if we run it on 36 volts at 100 know it will produce 6 volts of Back EMF at that point. So, this is equivalent to running it in a position where 5/6ths of the voltage and current are getting through motor. This suggests that we should be able to recover up to 3/4ths of our applied electricity on our secondary brushes without interfering with our torque produ..."

So it looks like back EMF depends on RPM and the reason it only spins 1000 rpms at 36v is because we have less windings for torque and speed. The 36v compensates for the reduced windings as a result of the modification.

I think I'm starting to see the light on this one.

Brian
    Brian and Everyone Else,

In the example, 1000 rpm was the "target speed" under load. The motors will be capable of revving up to very high speed and will have to be loaded once they get going.

Mechanical power is the cross-product of both torque and speed. In the normal configuration, the torque drops as the speed increases. In this arrangement, the torque is not falling off very fast as the speed increases, so the POWER rises rapidly as speed increases.

The loading characteristics will be different, and the total power may be lower than the original motor, but the efficiency should be much higher, since our electrical input will be lower and now we have an electrical recovery, as well.

More later,
    Peter

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lindemann
    replied
    No Problem

Hey Guys,

I just got my motor this one here 24 VDC 250W MOTOR, 11 TOOTH SPROCKET | AllElectronics.com.

It has 4 magnets NSNS and a 20 slot rotor. Other than being rated at 3000RPM's its identical to the one Matt posted. So I wont be able to wind a "window motor coil" like peter suggested I'll have to wind one like I suggested a few posts ago.

4 rotor section are the same size as 1 magnet and there's 1 rotor section width between each magnet. I'm leaning toward winding my coils over 4 sections.

Peter and Matt what are your thoughts on how many rotor sections I should wind around?

Mark
    Mark,

20 slots is no problem. You can set it up so it fires twice per revolution and uses all four magnets in the stator. Just wind IN slot #1, OUT slot #6, IN slot #11, OUT slot #16, etc.... around and around until the slots are filled. Then connect the ends of the wires to the appropriately positioned commutator sections and you are good to go!

You will still have to move the second set of brushes to pick up the recovery pulse. Other then that, you are done.

You can start by rewinding with the same diameter wire and see how it runs. If it produces too much Back EMF, you may have to re-wrap it with fewer turns of a bigger wire. There really shouldn't be any other issues.

These motors should work fine for these tests.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    Hey Guys,

I just got my motor this one here 24 VDC 250W MOTOR, 11 TOOTH SPROCKET | AllElectronics.com.

It has 4 magnets NSNS and a 20 slot rotor. Other than being rated at 3000RPM's its identical to the one Matt posted. So I wont be able to wind a "window motor coil" like peter suggested I'll have to wind one like I suggested a few posts ago.

4 rotor section are the same size as 1 magnet and there's 1 rotor section width between each magnet. I'm leaning toward winding my coils over 4 sections.

Peter and Matt what are your thoughts on how many rotor sections I should wind around?

Mark

Leave a comment:

• n84dafun
    replied
    Originally posted by FRC View Post
    Check out post # 170 Peter explains it in there. I think he has refered to that post many times before.

FRC
    Peter's quote on poste #170:
    "The final issue is to bias the Back EMF downward on the graph shown in the previous post. To do this, we have to run the motor on a higher voltage than it was or designed to do. So, for instance, if the motor was originally designed to run at 2000 rpm on 12 volts (as in the example above), then if we run it on 36 volts at 100 know it will produce 6 volts of Back EMF at that point. So, this is equivalent to running it in a position where 5/6ths of the voltage and current are getting through motor. This suggests that we should be able to recover up to 3/4ths of our applied electricity on our secondary brushes without interfering with our torque produ..."

So it looks like back EMF depends on RPM and the reason it only spins 1000 rpms at 36v is because we have less windings for torque and speed. The 36v compensates for the reduced windings as a result of the modification.

I think I'm starting to see the light on this one.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Jones
    replied
    Unfortunetly being NSNS is BAD! That will put the north facing magnets across from each other. If we wind a coil like Peter wants we will have repulsion on one side and attraction on the other. So the rotor will just lock up. This style of winding is what I will refer to as a window motor coil because of its similiarities.

Now I could still wind a coil like I proposed, which is similiar to how each coil is wound on the rotor now. But I would wind basically 2 of them that are across from each other and connected together in the middle to make one big coil. I will have to wind it a little different now though because the north magnets are across from each other. Instead of winding in one direction from the top crossing over the shaft and continuing in the same direction I will have to reverse the direction after crossing over the shaft. That way both outside ends of the coil facing the magnets will be emiting the same field.

I see one possible problem with this arrangement but may actually be a bennifit, I'm not sure. But lets say that both ends of the coil(s) are producing a north field and pushing against the north facing magnets. The ends of the coil(s) that are facing the rotor shaft are both producing a south field pushing against each other. This field will be like a supper pole and push outwards and could hinder or enhance the speed. And I also wonder what effect it will have on the shaft and bearings

Peter what are your thoughts on this.
    I don't think this is a problem. Your gonna get more speed out of it than you would under the other configuration, and you still only have to fire 2 times per rotation.
    If you fire the coil just past the north magnet the field you produce will attract to the Souths on top and bottom.
    The only delima is the core passing the south magnet might retain a north field. But the core shouldn't saturate that bad, after all your only using some small Ferrite magnets.

I guess I'll put my paper work off today and go cut one up and see what happens. I got everything I need to make this work.

Talk to ya soon.
    Matt

Leave a comment:

• n84dafun
    replied
    n84dafun,

One of the reason we will be running at higher voltages is because we will be pulsing the motor and that will cause it to loose most of its speed. If we increase the voltage by 3 times hopefully we will be able to get 1/2 of its rated speed.
    Mark,

That makes more sense now, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    Hey Goreggie

I see your logged in, hows your build going?

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    n84dafun,

One of the reason we will be running at higher voltages is because we will be pulsing the motor and that will cause it to loose most of its speed. If we increase the voltage by 3 times hopefully we will be able to get 1/2 of its rated speed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X