Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n84dafun
    replied
    Here's what my setup will be. I copied Matt's circuit setup (not mechanical setup) except I don't use FWBR on the output leads, just two diodes, because I have commutator overlap between power brushes and recovery brushes...a FWBR on the output would cause a short circuit on my setup. In other words, the separation between the power brushes and the recovery brushes is less than the two commutator segments that I've connected for the power pulses (two per rev, so 4 segments total). I did this to make sure I get full recovery of the spikes and ensure commutator protection.

I plan on disconnecting the 72 Volt batteries once the system gets up to speed to see what happens!!!

-brian

Last edited by n84dafun; 02-10-2011, 07:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• n84dafun
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark View Post
    Interesting setup Brian. What is the diameter of the wheel your using and did you have both the modified and the generator hooked up to your flywheel when you ran your test?

Mark
    Mark,

The kids wheel diameter is about 12 inches. I didn't even attempt to run my motor with the flywheel because even turning it by hand, I could tell it will fail catastrophically if it were to spin at 6000 RPMs. That's how wobbly it was when I spun it by hand. At least with a wheel and chain it's not rigidly coupled with the motor shaft like it was with the flywheel.

-brian

Here's a picture of the wheel. You can see where I drilled two holes on the sprocket (one hole already has the machine screw in it).

Last edited by n84dafun; 02-10-2011, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    Originally posted by n84dafun View Post
    @pt, Thanks for your test updates and scope shots. Interesting results. Wondering why your recovered voltages are so low. I always get above source voltage.

After trying out directly connecting the flywheel to the shaft I've come to the conclusion that the shaft is a little crooked and will never be smooth spinning, even if the flywheel is well balance, especially if coupled with the generator motor. The best way is probably to link the motors with a bicycle chain and a kids bike wheel for the flywheel. I had to de-grease the inside of the wheel, remove the spring, and bolt the sprocket to the rim. Spins really well and for a long time.

-brian
    Interesting setup Brian. What is the diameter of the wheel your using and did you have both the modified and the generator hooked up to your flywheel when you ran your test?

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    Originally posted by pault View Post
    I have to put this armature aside until I find someone with a lathe (or find plans to modify my wife's sewing machine into a lathe ).

I've got a spare armature.

I'm thinking of winding it with a single coil of 22awg, basically the same as what I've got, but with smaller gauge wire.

Anyone have better suggestions, after viewing the above results?

I only have two magnets (that wrap around almost 180 degrees each with a small gap between them), so I don't think that Matt's mods apply directly to this motor. I have 10 poles - I could try a zig-zag wind, but will it buy me anything and will I need a diode?

pt
    Pault,

I dont know how you could use a zig zag wind, that style of wind makes 4 magnet poles for the 4 magnet motors Matt and I are using. Plus you really need a slot number that is divisable by 4. You dont need to use a diode with a motor that has only 2 magnetic poles unless you only wanted it to fire 1 time per revolution. Using the 22awg wires with more wraps should lower your amp draw and raise your output to your caps. Your speed may also be reduced some. I think 22awg may work very well but only testing will tell the story. Good Luck and keep pluggin away

Mark

Leave a comment:

• n84dafun
    replied
    Direct flywheel connection won't work

@pt, Thanks for your test updates and scope shots. Interesting results. Wondering why your recovered voltages are so low. I always get above source voltage.

After trying out directly connecting the flywheel to the shaft I've come to the conclusion that the shaft is a little crooked and will never be smooth spinning, even if the flywheel is well balance, especially if coupled with the generator motor. The best way is probably to link the motors with a bicycle chain and a kids bike wheel for the flywheel. I had to de-grease the inside of the wheel, remove the spring, and bolt the sprocket to the rim. Spins really well and for a long time.

-brian

Leave a comment:

• everyidea
    replied
    Yes, I was at the conference and heard the lecture.

I've been thinking about this for quite a while. I'm no EE, so don't jump all over me, but it seams this could be greatly simplified. What is needed is a pulsed motor, a flywheel and a generator. Why not use a large ring magnet for all three?

Flywheel - A large ring magnet is already a flywheel by having a large hole in the middle, you just need to make a hollow hub for a bearing assembly.

Motor - By using Imoteps Relay switch it is possible to make radiant spikes of 400V to pulse the ring magnet sides, like a simple monopole magnet motor. This switch only requires a very small amount of current to create these pulses.

Generator - Take frayed wires and place the "-" ones on one side and the "+" wires on the other so they cut through the rotating magnet flux and it should generate a current. Connect this to the input of the Imotep switch.

Use a battery to first get the flywheel up to speed then let the switch take over when it's creating enough current in the generator wires.

I think this combines DePlama, Imotep and Faraday ideas.

But, I could be just way off my rocker too..

rw
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• FRC
    replied
    Thanks John G.

Originally posted by john_g View Post
    Hi FRC
    I picked up yesterday 4 old washing machine motors, for free!, from an independant repairer, once I open them up I will post up the rotors as this is a lot cheaper than buying a new motor to hack about. Otherwise been busy doing my gravity wheel.
    Cheers
    John
    Thanks for the update. I have also been trying to concentrate on one circuit
    project I have been doing and getting good results lately, but keep getting sidetracked into other things. There is so much we all want to do and never enough time for it all. Nice to know you are still involved.

George

Leave a comment:

• john_g
    replied
    Originally posted by FRC View Post
    Have not heard from these people in a while either.

FRC
    Hi FRC

After getting the DVD's electric motor secrets and the Lockridge device I have sort of gone on hold, needing a coupling made to connect to the flywheel. I thought the way forward was to be an attraction motor - so started building one of those from an old washing machine motor, was surprised at the ammount of drag from the brushes - then it became apparant from this thread that a permanant magnet poles were (maybe) the way forward. I picked up yesterday 4 old washing machine motors, for free!, from an independant repairer, once I open them up I will post up the rotors as this is a lot cheaper than buying a new motor to hack about. Otherwise been busy doing my gravity wheel.
    Cheers
    John

Leave a comment:

• FRC
    replied
    Post # 16

Originally posted by john_g View Post
    Hi John S

Thoughts on the flywheel could maybe use a flywheel from a car engine - from a scrapyard you should be able to get a good weight of metal at little cost, plus balanced?

Re the extra brushes, I think I will go the same route as you - external, however looking at my gen, at the opposite end to where the brushes are, they looks to be enough room inside to mount a brush arrangement, say an insulated disc with a copper commutator with the brushes wiping over the disc face. There is enough room for the extra wires inside. However external will be easier.
    Regards
    John
    Have not heard from these people in a while either.

FRC

Leave a comment:

• FRC
    replied
    Activity

Finally some activity on this thread. What happened to everyone in the last while ? I still have not got my motor yet. Now I am considering trying an external commutator setup first before modifying the motor, when I do get it.
    After seeing your results with the higher voltage Pault, I wonder if the brushes
    will be okay in an unmodified at higher voltage. Instead of going to 36v, maybe
    aim for 30v max. I have an old 81 Dodge and 94 Dodge Dakota starter that I can
    pull the commutators out of. An external commutator setup was the direction
    this thread was going at the start. I guess it will be more like the Bedini/Watson
    configuration shown at the end of the Lockridge video. I also have a couple 12v small winch motors, but I did not want to mess with them.

FRC

Leave a comment:

• pault
    replied
    preparing to rebuild

I have to put this armature aside until I find someone with a lathe (or find plans to modify my wife's sewing machine into a lathe ).

I've got a spare armature.

I'm thinking of winding it with a single coil of 22awg, basically the same as what I've got, but with smaller gauge wire.

Anyone have better suggestions, after viewing the above results?

I only have two magnets (that wrap around almost 180 degrees each with a small gap between them), so I don't think that Matt's mods apply directly to this motor. I have 10 poles - I could try a zig-zag wind, but will it buy me anything and will I need a diode?

pt

Leave a comment:

• pault
    replied
    more results

2-magnet, one-coil, 10 slot motor, mod'ed for more % pull, as above, added FWBR (UF4007's) across recovery brush.

12V 3,000 RPM, draws 1.7-2A, charges 4700uF cap to 4.49V in a short run

25.34V 4,285 RPM, draws 2A, charges cap to 6.62V

39.00V 6,000 RPM, draws 2.6A, charges cap to 9.28V

38V back-to-back with same unmod'ed motor (flexible shaft coupler + spider) - ran very roughly, drew about 8A, then stopped and smoked. One commutator looks damaged (discoloured gray-green throughout full depth of commutator, slightly mis-shaped and sticks out more than other commutators, probably unusable without lathing).

Photos.

N.B. polarity differences between push-pull recovery brush and pull recovery brush.

N.B. the "jagged" trace between pulses is the 'scope probe floating when reading open commutator sections.

push-pull (previous mod) 12V recovery brush:

12V push-pull attached to generator (same motor, unmod'ed), upper trace (recovery brush) 0'd at one division below top, lower trace (recovery battery) 0'd at 1 div above bottom

25V push-pull attached to generator (same motor, unmod'ed) 0'd as above:

12V pull (new mod) recovery (0'd at center):

25V pull (new mod) recovery (0'd at center)

pt

Leave a comment:

• pault
    replied
    The Puller

[I put some classic Steppenwolf on and] I figured out how to convert my motor from a pusher to a puller.

This is a one-coil, 2-pole motor, 10 slots.

I energized the armature outside of the housing and used a bar magnet to determine where N and S were.

It turned out to be simple to do the conversion with this particular motor. I dropped the commutator back by only one section (didn't even need to move the wire, just flip it right instead of left).

The pusher configuration was set to fire the coil when the coil was at about 12:30 / 6:30 at the deepest part of the N-N S-S magnetic field. The N field vector (90 degrees to the coil) was just exiting the N PM field and the S field vector was just entering the N PM field.

This pull configuration is set to fire when the coil is at about 2:00 / 8:00 in the N-S S-N field, i.e. the S field vector is at about 10:00 into the N PM field and the N field vector is at about 4:00 into the S PM field.

2 activations per revolution. 18awg, 30 turns.

Early results:

- at 12VDC, the recovery signal is opposite to that in the push configuration (on a 'scope)

- at 12VDC, the motor runs at 3000 RPM drawing 1.7A-2A.

- at 25VDC, it runs at 4285 RPM, drawing approx 2A (average - the panel meter is bouncing).

I'll have to wait until tomorrow for another 12V battery to be freed up, before trying 36VDC.

Any suggestions? Should I move back another commutator, getting closer to 12:00 attraction?

pt

add: In this motor, the magnets are curved and long, covering almost 180 degrees (less about one commutator width) each. In the previous configuration (that I called push), both, N and S armature arms were in each magnet's field, probably resulting in a push and a pull. In the new configuration, the percentage of S arm in the N PM field is larger and v.v. resulting in more pull and less push, and a reversal (and narrowing) of the recovery pulse. It's not yet clear if this is an improvement over the previous push-pull config.
    Last edited by pault; 02-07-2011, 02:14 PM. Reason: corrections and addition

Leave a comment:

• Robbush
    replied
    progress report

I am setting up to test no load speeds at different voltages,I am planning on using a computer power supply (300 watt) to charge caps ( in parallel) to 12 volts, while they are also hooked up in series to go to 24,36 and higher voltages. I have 5 31,000 mfd @ 50 volt caps to use this way. I am going to recover through a bridge rectifier to 76,000 mfd caps rated at 40 volts. Next is to attach a flywheel, I pulled one from a manual treadmill, it has an outside diameter of 8", will weight it and post that with the no load speed results. My problem is that I live in Colorado and the garage is very cold to work in so I am not motivated to go and use the lathe to fabricate a shaft to connect motor to flywheel, I think it should warm up this week and if it does that will be priority to get done.
    Keep up the great work you others are doing, and I should be posting some numbers later today. Peace
    rawbush

Leave a comment:

• cwaugs
    replied
    A lot of exercise equipment have well built flywheels on them.. HTH wayne

Leave a comment:

Working...
X