X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mbrownn
    replied
    Originally posted by Armagdn03 View Post
    No there is no capacitor on the input coil, but it is both inductively and capacitively connected to the secondary, this is just the nature of the arrangement. By being within the same space they are "connected" primarily inductively.

The reason that there is no capacitor is that the input coil does not need to be in resonance with the secondary. When the secondary is hit with its resonant frequency through the primary, the primary will see a HUGE impedance, and it will transfer its energy in the best possible way. You could think of the primary and the secondary as ONE coil, though they have no direct electrical connection, they are inductively coupled. When the secondary goes into resonance, the coils act as one.

The bifilar coil is in series, as Tesla would have wound it.

There is no difference in direction of winding. Both share the same magnetic dipole.

The output is AC and rectified, only because the load (motor) is a DC motor. If you can directly use the AC then by all means do so! If you had a universal motor which could take advantage of this, you would need to have the secondary, pick up coil and motor all resonate as one. Imagine a guitar, or musical instrument. Whenever you add something physically to it, you change it, and its resonant frequency. The instrument, and whatever you have on it all act as ONE. Therefore you need everything matched, this is very tricky many times. You could have each individual component matched, put it all together, and notice.....WHOA together they have a different resonance!

Hope this helps! Do not make it too complicated, build it for yourself. Very simplle

Have about 20 turns primary, secondary of arbitrary size, and pick up coil with taps on it (to tune). Throw in a rectifier setup and play, you will learn so damn much. Leave it this simple.
    Thanks for the reply, the reason I asked about the capacitor is because I haven't figured out exactly how it is used on the Lockridge device and there are a number of possibilities.

When we pulse the primary we should be able to collect the inductive kickback and feed it to the source reducing the input and this may even increase the amount of energy in the secondary if I am right. This is where the first gain is, reduced input and possible gain due to the current in the inductive kickback of the primary. This would require that the primary has to be at a harmonic of the secondary.

If our universal motor is run on pulsed DC from the third coil and it is of the same resonant frequency, then the inductive kickback will add to sustain the current in the motor giving another gain. Two gains for the cost of one pulse or three times the current assuming no losses. I don't know but it may be possible to run the universal motor at the resonant frequency of the coils and maybe there will be a gain there, I don't know, but now you can see why I asked the question.

It does seem that this may be the coil we are looking for, every time I say that it reminds me of starwars "these are not the droids you are looking for" hehe.

I can't thank you enough for your input here

Leave a comment:

• FRC
    replied
    Armagdn03

You mention if using an AC motor, then the motor is also in resonance. With
    the roto verter the motor and generator must be in resonance. Is it possible
    to get a DC motor and DC generator in resonance also ? I hope I do not
    sound too stupid for asking this.

George

Leave a comment:

• Armagdn03
    replied
    Originally posted by mbrownn View Post
    No I am not , can you provide a link? The truth is I know nothing about inductors or how they are supposed to work, I just know that they can do very interesting things.

The next two paragraphs have big implications and it is what I have been looking for.

The reason I ask for a schematic is I want to clarify exactly the following.

Is there a capacitor on the input coil, if so how is it connected, series or parallel?

Is there a capacitor on the bifilar coil or is it shorted or open circuit?

Is the bifilar coil series or bucking?

Are the windings all in the same direction and does it matter if they are clockwise or anticlockwise?

If it is run at the resonant point of the secondary and the peak to peak resonance magnitude is provided by impedance, it makes sense how the impedance matching is done. I think you said that the output is AC and you rectify this with a diode, is the diode required to help maintain the gain in the secondary or can the output be fed directly to a universal motor which can run on AC or DC and can you use a bridge rectifier?

What if the motor had the same resonant frequency as the secondary?
    No there is no capacitor on the input coil, but it is both inductively and capacitively connected to the secondary, this is just the nature of the arrangement. By being within the same space they are "connected" primarily inductively.

The reason that there is no capacitor is that the input coil does not need to be in resonance with the secondary. When the secondary is hit with its resonant frequency through the primary, the primary will see a HUGE impedance, and it will transfer its energy in the best possible way. You could think of the primary and the secondary as ONE coil, though they have no direct electrical connection, they are inductively coupled. When the secondary goes into resonance, the coils act as one.

The bifilar coil is in series, as Tesla would have wound it.

There is no difference in direction of winding. Both share the same magnetic dipole.

The output is AC and rectified, only because the load (motor) is a DC motor. If you can directly use the AC then by all means do so! If you had a universal motor which could take advantage of this, you would need to have the secondary, pick up coil and motor all resonate as one. Imagine a guitar, or musical instrument. Whenever you add something physically to it, you change it, and its resonant frequency. The instrument, and whatever you have on it all act as ONE. Therefore you need everything matched, this is very tricky many times. You could have each individual component matched, put it all together, and notice.....WHOA together they have a different resonance!

Hope this helps! Do not make it too complicated, build it for yourself. Very simplle

Have about 20 turns primary, secondary of arbitrary size, and pick up coil with taps on it (to tune). Throw in a rectifier setup and play, you will learn so damn much. Leave it this simple.

Leave a comment:

• mbrownn
    replied
    You could get a precise amount of energy in each pulse this way but I think the disadvantages outway any advantage you might have.

When it comes to using the BEMF there are several ways to do it, normally it is just a diode across the motor allowing current to flow from the current out wire to the current in wire as in normal PWM circuits, then there is the Bedini style and the transformer method as you say and finally my method that requires bipolar switching and 2 diodes.

The transformer method has the advantage that it is totally isolated from the input and you can place this BEMF anywhere you want as well as stepping it up or down. My method is not quite as versatile because there is no step up or step down option but you can place the current in many more places than you can with the simple Bedini circuit. By the way I am not claiming to have invented it, just that I haven't seen that method used before and I did think of it myself although someone must have used it before.

Thanks for the link, the book is exactly right. when you take the efficiencies into account.

Leave a comment:

• john_g
    replied
    Thanks for simulation

mbrownn

Many thanks for doing the circuit and comments. I was attempting to find a way of having a measured charge to drive the motor, which could be changed as the motor was up to speed. Back to the drawing board. The inductive kickback from the coil could be collected by having an additional winding with the field coil and sent to the transformer ?

This may be of interest, from a 1920s radio book talking about rotary converters and more amps out than in, right hand page:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3507...1-am-711k?da=y

Regards

John
    Last edited by john_g; 02-01-2012, 11:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mbrownn
    replied
    Hi FRC, I"m not ignoring you and your comments are valid. You are right he is not collecting the inductive kickback of the motor and you do have to disconnect from the source on at least 1 terminal to do so. I like the bipolar switching because not only did the original Lockrige have that but it allows you to place the inductive kickback in other parts of the circuit.

Leave a comment:

• FRC
    replied
    Originally posted by john_g View Post
    George

Thanks for the comments, I need to buy some beefier caps before trying it out. How would you wire it to collect the off pulse in an unmodified motor?

Regards

John
    During the off pulse the motor would have to be disconnected from its power source ( by way of the cam or commutator) and reconnect to diodes going to the cap. Then reconnect to the power source in the pulse mode. the cycle would repeat continuously. It would need the correct timing and tuning. I think Mr. Brown is more the expert here than I am and could better answer this than me.

George

Leave a comment:

• mbrownn
    replied
    Here is a variant I have been playing with Circuit Simulator Applet

Leave a comment:

• mbrownn
    replied
    Originally posted by john_g View Post
    Hi

I was after some feedback for the attached circuit, which I have had floating in my mind for a while, that may be in the same vein as the above. The idea is to use a large capacitor as an energy store, fed by a generator coil. The field windings are in series with a small cap. The small cap is charged when the motor fires, the "filling" current powering the coils (filling the cap). The small cap is then discharged through an inductor / transformer to return the energy back to larger cap. Switching via cam operated switches.

Any comments either way welcome about this.

Regards
    John
    You are thinking on the right lines, how to get more use out of the energy that is lost when it has passed through a motor. This is very relavent to a self running motor/generator.

The problem is in the fact that this small capacitor becomes an opposing voltage as it charges, reducing current in the motor and therefore power. If the capacitor was charged the other way round before the pulse, the increased voltage would result in more current and therefore a gain but how do we recharge that capacitor without drawing more power from the source?

With the recovery circuit you have to discharge that capacitor, you can regain most of the loss so it almosts cancels itself out. If this recovery was applied to a battery some gains could be made such as in a Bedini circuit, but unfortunately this type of gain requires time that we do not have between pulses.

I have looked at several similar circuits but so far all of them have resulted in a net loss in motor power and not a gain.

I have put your circuit in a simulator here with another variant Circuit Simulator Applet

Try playing around with things. The power in the motor is irrelevent as it is the current that produces motor power, so the goal is to reduce input power and increase motor current.

Leave a comment:

• john_g
    replied
    Originally posted by FRC View Post
    The circuit looks very good. It could also be used with an unmodified motor to
    collect the off pulse generating action of the motor into the small cap. This
    would work with mbrown's approach.

George
    George

Thanks for the comments, I need to buy some beefier caps before trying it out. How would you wire it to collect the off pulse in an unmodified motor?

Regards

John

Leave a comment:

• FRC
    replied
    Very Good John G

The circuit looks very good. It could also be used with an unmodified motor to
    collect the off pulse generating action of the motor into the small cap. This
    would work with mbrown's approach.

George

Leave a comment:

• john_g
    replied
    Hi

I was after some feedback for the attached circuit, which I have had floating in my mind for a while, that may be in the same vein as the above. The idea is to use a large capacitor as an energy store, fed by a generator coil. The field windings are in series with a small cap. The small cap is charged when the motor fires, the "filling" current powering the coils (filling the cap). The small cap is then discharged through an inductor / transformer to return the energy back to larger cap. Switching via cam operated switches.

Any comments either way welcome about this.

Regards
    John
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mbrownn
    replied
    Originally posted by Armagdn03 View Post
    I do not know if you are familiar with the maximum power transfer theorem?

If a load has the same impedance as the source, you will transfer the most power possible between the two. If the load and source has different impedance's this will not happen. My signal generator has a particular impedance, the various motors have different impedance's, and they change also depending on their speed. The coil system acts to continually bridge the gap and match the impedance's so that the condition of the theorem can be met.

This means that if the motor needs higher voltage, lower amperage, the coil system will provide that, if the motor needs higher amperage, lower voltage, the coil system will provide that. Obviously there are limits.

There is no need for a schematic it is very simple,

signal generator to primary, primary is coupled to secondary which is wound bifilar, pick up coil to rectifier and motor, and it is all run at the fundamental resonant point of the secondary.
    No I am not , can you provide a link? The truth is I know nothing about inductors or how they are supposed to work, I just know that they can do very interesting things.

The next two paragraphs have big implications and it is what I have been looking for.

The reason I ask for a schematic is I want to clarify exactly the following.

Is there a capacitor on the input coil, if so how is it connected, series or parallel?

Is there a capacitor on the bifilar coil or is it shorted or open circuit?

Is the bifilar coil series or bucking?

Are the windings all in the same direction and does it matter if they are clockwise or anticlockwise?

If it is run at the resonant point of the secondary and the peak to peak resonance magnitude is provided by impedance, it makes sense how the impedance matching is done. I think you said that the output is AC and you rectify this with a diode, is the diode required to help maintain the gain in the secondary or can the output be fed directly to a universal motor which can run on AC or DC and can you use a bridge rectifier?

What if the motor had the same resonant frequency as the secondary?

Leave a comment:

• FRC
    replied
    Check this out

Check out this video and Bizzy's posts on Electricity's Watson Machine thread.

Transfer Switch.AVI - YouTube

George

Leave a comment:

• garrypm
    replied
    Originally posted by garrypm View Post
    May we please have some detail on the coils - diameter, length, # of turns, wire size.

I would welcome the chance to replicate this experiment.

What, if any, connections are made to the Tesla-like secondary ?

I note the second primary is 3 layers and the power supply/controller is the
    signal generator. What voltage is the light bulb?

Many Thanks, Garry
    If the secondary is bifilar, where does it connect ?

I appreciate you say it is simple but, from you're description, I can not determine
    where to connect the secondary.

Thanks, Garry

Leave a comment:

Working...
X