Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations re. commutator positions

[I have to break this post up into pieces due to forum constraints]

With my 10-slot, 2PM, 1-coil motor, this is how I number the slots and commutators (looking from the bottom of the motor):

I tried all 5 commutator pairs at 3 different voltages.

pt

Comment

• continued

IMG_0189: [imageshack rotated this image by 90. The North PM has a black dot on it, the South PM has a white stripe.]

IMG_0179:

IMG_0181:

IMG_183:

[clarification: In photos with two armatures, the one inside the motor casing is the 1st build (18awg) that currently doesn't run. It is shown just to give an idea of the orientation of the winding vs. the magnets (dot is N).]

IMG_0191:

IMG_0193:

IMG_0195:

pt
      Last edited by pault; 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM. Reason: clarificaton

Comment

• continued

IMG_0197:

IMG_0199:

IMG_201:

IMG_0203:

IMG_0205:

IMG_0207:

IMG_209:

IMG_0211:

pt

Comment

• questions

1. Why is the first set of 'scope traces so vastly different from the rest?

2. What is causing commutator blackening in the last two cases? The motor is turning in the same direction in all of the runs, hence, hitting the recovery brushes exactly one commutator width away from the power brushes.

3. It looks like the 2nd last case, C8 to C3, is the best, except that it causes some commutator blackening.

Note: I put a FWBR (fast UF4007's) across the recovery brushes outputting to the cap (there is no battery on the recovery side, just the cap).

pt

Comment

• what next?

I've got cheap bits and pieces for a hand-held Prony brake like the one shown in Motor Secrets #1, but, I've also got an unmodified motor of the same kind plus a flexible shaft coupler.

If I understood correctly, earlier in the thread, Peter said that either could be used to measure the mechanical power.

Can someone tell me how to set up (and calculate) the back-to-back motor test? That looks physically easier with my gear...

thanks
            pt

Comment

• Lockridge Device Talked About by John Bedini

Converted Bosch Generator, 5,000 RPM, 300W Output, Slotted Case, i.e., case slotted in four places, Four Poles: Two poles for the Motor and two poles for the Generator. Lockridge resided in Boise, Idaho. Generator is constant. Motor was switched. Capacitor was wrapped around the case.
              Regards,

VIDBID

Comment

• vidbid

Originally posted by vidbid View Post
                Converted Bosch Generator, 5,000 RPM, 300W Output, Slotted Case, i.e., case slotted in four places, Four Poles: Two poles for the Motor and two poles for the Generator. Lockridge resided in Boise, Idaho. Generator is constant. Motor was switched. Capacitor was wrapped around the case.
                Most of us know this, we have seen the videos, Have you ? I mean Peter's video as well.

FRC
                Last edited by FRC; 02-16-2011, 07:31 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Another Self Runner

"Presently we plan on making a little window motor kit for the Convention, that will be like John (DavHav) or whatever his user name is. It will be a very nice little runner that will be able to be spun up like John B (and this John) showed a few years ago with that will allow itself to be powered for a while on its own charge off a capacitor. This is planned as the one group project beyond a second unrelated group assembly/test project". - Rick Friedrich

This sounds interesting.

FRC
                  Last edited by FRC; 02-16-2011, 07:36 AM. Reason: added "

Comment

• Originally posted by FRC View Post
                    "Presently we plan on making a little window motor kit for the Convention, that will be like John (DavHav) or whatever his user name is. It will be a very nice little runner that will be able to be spun up like John B (and this John) showed a few years ago with that will allow itself to be powered for a while on its own charge off a capacitor. This is planned as the one group project beyond a second unrelated group assembly/test project". - Rick Friedrich

This sounds interesting.

FRC
                    Where did you read this? Can you please post a link.

EDIT: I found the quote on the monopole 3 group site.
                    Last edited by Mark; 02-16-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Treadmill DC Motor

Found this literally on the side of the road. DC motor from treadmill. Brushes only touch one commutator at a time. Probably to hard to work with.
                      Last edited by chasson321; 06-27-2011, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• Got all the parts, including #25 chain and 13 teeth sprocket. The motor and generator sprocket is 11 teeth, so the flywheel will be spinning a little slower. Just need to put it all together and start testing.

-brian

Comment

• Is your flywheel a generator also?

Or, is one of the motors a generator and one a motor?

I look forward to pictures of your finished project and tests....

I just got my first 280 watt scooter motor and am winding the coils for my generator.....

Is anyone working on a pulse system that is not a commutator for the motor?

Hopes and Dreams....

Tj

Comment

• Originally posted by tjnlsn255 View Post
                            Is your flywheel a generator also?

Or, is one of the motors a generator and one a motor?

Tj
                            Tj,

The flywheel on the top of the photo is not a generator, just a flywheel made from a metal disc that is 4 inch in diam and 1/2 inch thick sandwiched between two grinding wheel of the same dimensions. The motor on the right is the modified pulse motor, and the left motor is the unmodified motor/generator.

-brian

Comment

• Way to go Brian

How much does your flywheel weigh?
                              If you could find a bigger diameter flywheel of the same weight as the one you have it would work even better, IMHO.

I haven't done much lately with this project, but will get back to it soon. I found an easy way to pulse charge batteries (desulfator) that plugs into the wall and I can adjust from 30ma to 7amps output.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark View Post
                                Way to go Brian

How much does your flywheel weigh?
                                If you could find a bigger diameter flywheel of the same weight as the one you have it would work even better, IMHO.

I haven't done much lately with this project, but will get back to it soon. I found an easy way to pulse charge batteries (desulfator) that plugs into the wall and I can adjust from 30ma to 7amps output.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Mark
                                Thanks Mark,

The flywheel weighed in at 50 onces (3.2 lbs). I have other bigger flywheels I can try out and there's enough room and chain to fit a larger one. I'm trying this smaller flywheel first for safety reasons. I don't know the exact math but I guess a larger diameter flywheel stores energy better than a smaller diam fw of the same weight.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X