• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter

Originally posted by Peter Lindemann View Post
    Dragon,
    John G,

Your drawing is not correct. The brushes can only cover one segment of the commutator at a time, and the recovery brush is exactly ONE COMMUTATOR segment away from the power brush, so it engages at the exact moment the power brush disengages.

Peter
    I'm a bit confused, do you mean that the recovery brush is not placed next to the power commutator or that one commutator section is skipped? John's diagram shows the recovery commutator is placed next to the power commutator. In John's diagram the brush would be in contact with both commutators in the transistion between the two. However, if one commutator was skipped, it would completely isolate the power side from the recovery.

Tim

Comment

• I believe he means that the recovery brush should be placed at a distance where the power brush leaves the commutator at the precise moment the recovery brush is in contact. This would be about 1 commutator section or a tiny fraction less.

I understand the connection in preventing arching as the power brush leaves, I'm not sure however, why it couldn't be closer. I'm sure with some experimentation the answer would reveal itself and that it would present itself as one of those slap in the forehead boy do I feel stupid moments.

As with anything, the best learning is by building it and making smoke...
      ________
      fat woman Cams
      Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• The recovery brush needs to be spaced farther away so only 1 commutator section touches 1 brush at a time. So yes they are isolated completely.

I dont know how fast the colapse is. Does anyone have any idea how crutial the spacing will be with the recovery brushes. Will we have much trouble catching it? Is it so fast that the spacing needs to be perfect or is it slower so when its up to speed we might have to connect 2 commutator sections together so we catch it?

Comment

• YES, Complete Isolation is Desired

Originally posted by chasson321 View Post
          I'm a bit confused, do you mean that the recovery brush is not placed next to the power commutator or that one commutator section is skipped? John's diagram shows the recovery commutator is placed next to the power commutator. In John's diagram the brush would be in contact with both commutators in the transition between the two. However, if one commutator was skipped, it would completely isolate the power side from the recovery.

Tim
          Tim, actually, you are NOT confused. Read what I have said about this carefully in Post #170. Ask yourself, "what is the goal?" and "what design features accomplish this goal?".

Peter
          Last edited by Peter Lindemann; 01-11-2011, 08:56 PM.
          Peter Lindemann, D.Sc.

Open System Thermodynamics Perpetual Motion Reality Electric Motor Secrets
          Battery Secrets Magnet Secrets Tesla's Radiant Energy Real Rain Making
          Bedini SG: The Complete Handbook Series Magnetic Energy Secrets

Comment

• Recovery Impulse is FAST

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            The recovery brush needs to be spaced farther away so only 1 commutator section touches 1 brush at a time. So yes they are isolated completely.

I don't know how fast the collapse is. Does anyone have any idea how crucial the spacing will be with the recovery brushes. Will we have much trouble catching it? Is it so fast that the spacing needs to be perfect or is it slower so when its up to speed we might have to connect 2 commutator sections together so we catch it?
            Mark,

You are starting to GET IT!!! The recovery impulse is FAST, like the radiant spike in a Bedini SSG. The recovery brush spacing is important and should be precisely ONE COMMUTATOR SEGMENT away from the power brush so the "break and make" are as simultaneous as possible.

You are on the right track.

Peter
            Peter Lindemann, D.Sc.

Comment

• Confusing

Originally posted by Superdave
              [ATTACH]7460[/ATTACH]

hello all, this is my understanding so far for the armature windings
              Superdave,

I find your image confusing, and not representative of what I am asking people to build. Please remove it so others aren't confused by it.

Thank you.

Peter
              Peter Lindemann, D.Sc.

Comment

• Changes to be made the starter motor.

Originally posted by cwaugs View Post
                Interesting. So the way a normal starter armature is wound would just cutting the connections be sufficient? Or do the wires actually need to be removed?
                Peter

When looking at my starter motor I had the same question. One could cut the large copper winding loop at the end opposite the brushes for the windings you want to disable. If you make a mistake here you get a new starter motor. Then cover with epoxy and re-balance.

In your DVD you calculated the capacitor based on 1 power stoke per rev. With our current dialog the motor will have 2 power discharges per rev and no external commutator would be needed. Is this correct?

With this change will the capacitor be able to recharge and discharge at 2 per rev?

The generator will be turning at the same speed as the motor. I guess the increase in generator resistance will be offset by more power from the motor if the Capacitor can keep up. Maybe aided by sending the collapsing power back to the capacitor between power stokes.

Just thinking this through.

PS: Still waiting for the shop to finish my end plates and bearings.

Comment

• removed the post it is possible I have made too many assumptions.. ..

so to back up the armature winding would be lap ,wave or custom ?

my current armature is wave and I have not seen any Automotive starting motors that aren't wave wound

Thank you again for your time
                  Last edited by Superdave; 01-12-2011, 04:59 AM.

Comment

• Hi Peter, guys,

thanks for sharing all this information Peter, great stuff. I would think the recovery brush should switch ON as soon as possible right after the supply brushes are OFF, else part of the energy of the collapsing magnetic field will be waisted and not recovered.

Peter, on another note, am I correct to assume that with a rotor with iron poles more energy can be recovered as opposed to a rotor with magnets (be it in attraction or repel mode)?

regards,
                    Mario

Comment

• Stop Confusing Yourselves

Gentlemen,

1) Forget about the "starter motor" example I gave in the DVD (lecture). It was merely meant as an example of a series wound motor. I never said this was the best motor to use.

2) I told you I was NOT going to try to REPLICATE the Lockridge Device. I told you I was going to show you how to build a self-running system based on the principles of the "torque enhanced motor".

3) What I proposed in Post #170 is a stand-alone motor, run from BATTERIES, that can be made from an "off-the-shelf", permanent magnet field, DC motor, without the need of a machine shop.

4) The windings on the rotor end up to be "CUSTOM", as all you need is ONE SET OF WINDINGS through TWO SLOTS that are on opposite sides of the rotor and attached to TWO COMMUTATOR SEGMENTS on opposite sides of the commutator.

5) There is NO CAPACITOR in this design yet.

6) There is NO GENERATOR in this design yet, either.

7) There is a SECOND SET OF BRUSHES installed in the motor to capture the collapsing magnetic field and recover some of the input electricity. Right now, I am suggesting to apply this recovered electricity through a single diode to a second battery bank, like a Bedini system.

You people are welcome to make as many mistakes as you want, and I will not correct anymore of your speculations.

Science is not accomplished by "chat". It is only accomplished by building the experiment, running the experiment, and thinking deeply about the results. Then, and only then, is discussion useful.

Peter
                      Last edited by Peter Lindemann; 01-11-2011, 11:04 PM.
                      Peter Lindemann, D.Sc.

Comment

• Thank you again Peter for your patience and wisdom on this subject

I will have the electric re-builder put some permanent magnet motors on the bench also.

I hope I can help with the "off the shelf" part of this process

Comment

• Peter

I have torn apart a 12 electric motor I have and taken off all the windings. I was surprised to discover that there are 11 commutator/winding sections and the winding sections are angled.

You stated:
                          "The windings on the rotor end up to be "CUSTOM", as all you need is ONE SET OF WINDINGS through TWO SLOTS that are on opposite sides of the rotor and attached to TWO COMMUTATOR SEGMENTS on opposite sides of the commutator."

My questions are will my 11 section rotor work ok or should I try to find a rotor with an even number of winding sections? Maybe they're all odd amounts, I don't know. And secondly when you say one set of winding I assume you mean 1 coil that is more or less centered around the rotor shaft which will also help keep the rotor balanced.

I've thought about removing most of the winding slot sections so I can wrap more wire but I think the motor would cog more and be impossible to balance especially with the odd number of sections to work with so I'm just going to leave it for now unless you suggest otherwise.

Does anyone know a good place to purchase brush assemblies and commutators?

Mark

Comment

• Hi Mark, my resources are in automotive and agricultural

First I would recommend some supplier web sites (wholesale)

WAIglobal - Worldwide Source (good online catalog )

Romaine Electric - Experts in Rotating Electrical Since 1921 ( cross reference only, may not be helpful )

If these parts look good find retail close to you at

ERA - Find an ERA Member Rebuilder

hope this helps

possible someone else has suggestions for industrial or higher voltage parts
                            Last edited by Superdave; 01-12-2011, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• forgot one and they may sell retail

Western Motors Service Co.

Comment

• Peter. I started a thread about using a three pole motor like a Lockridge motor because I did not want to confuse anyone here. I hope this is ok. If it is please take a look at it if you have the time, and tell me what you think. Thanks. William Reed
                                William Reed

Comment

Working...
                                X