Brovin/Kacher Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys

Ive spent the day trying to build the simple looking Katcher from ABC's post 14.

On this diagram, is L2 the secondary, and L1 the primary??? I assumed the opposite....i thought the output coil would be the one with as many turns as possible.

Havent had any success yet, but my resistor and transistor are getting very very hot. Im using an IRF630 (i think this is a MOSFET..but i aint sure....). Found it inside an old monitor.

any ideas where im going wrong?

NB Im using 6V/12V batteries, therefore no smoothing capacitors in my circuit. Just 2 coils and a mosfet and a resistor.
    Last edited by seth; 07-13-2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

yeap my friend, the big coil (many turns) is the output coil! at the loose end of it you will see plasma!

you have to try all possible configurations, try to change the primary sides connected to the circuit... just swap them! if you dont have sucess, try also to change the side of the secondary that is connected to the base!

and dont forget the primary should be positioned near the wire end connected to transistor "base"!

if dont work, change the primary sides again! you will get ther!

hugs

EDIT: yes IRF is a mosphet, but try to download datasheet and see if it is "pnp" setup and you are connecting the correct pins to correct sides!

Originally posted by seth View Post
      Hi guys

Ive spent the day trying to build the simple looking Katcher from ABC's post 14.

On this diagram, is L2 the secondary, and L1 the primary??? I assumed the opposite....i thought the output coil would be the one with as many turns as possible.

Havent had any success yet, but my resistor and transistor are getting very very hot. Im using an IRF630 (i think this is a MOSFET..but i aint sure....). Found it inside an old monitor.

NB Im using 6V/12V batteries, therefore no smoothing capacitors in my circuit. Just 2 coils and a mosfet and a resistor.
      Last edited by TanTric; 07-13-2010, 03:46 PM.
      Light, I Am!

You are Not a Body that has a Spirit, You are a Spirit that Has a Body! There is no Path to Peace, Peace is the Path!

Comment

Originally posted by seth View Post
        Hi guys

As I have read it is necessary to touch the base by screwdriver to start the process in some cases. And I am not sure that mosfet can help here. I have only seen bipolar transistors in this circuit.
        Last edited by kdas; 07-13-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

This mosfet is switching type, your need a mosfet driver to close it, or will be still open and wil get very hot, and of course will not oscilate, get some clasis bipolar tranzistor if you want some sucess, in best way, some of ampflier classes. Some which be able to work on desired frequency (rez f of the secondary)

Comment

Originally posted by IWD View Post
            This mosfet is switching type, your need a mosfet driver to close it, or will be still open and wil get very hot, and of course will not oscilate, get some clasis bipolar tranzistor if you want some sucess, in best way, some of ampflier classes. Some which be able to work on desired frequency (rez f of the secondary)
            Cheers for the advice all of you!!!

I really appreciate it - all my builds are a group effort

I'll try and get a variety of classic bipolar transistors. In the end i destroyed my mosfets by trying to wire them up to a flyback transformer - they dont seem to work well for HV power source either.

Still, lots of fun like always!

Comment

1. The higher current rating of the transistor, the better.

2. The circuit works when transistor is closed most of the time

ABC

Comment

Use a TV line o/p transistor they are usually rated around 1700 volts and handle about 70 watts. Make sure its on a good heatsink and it should work very well off a 12 volt battery.

It will blow your socks off!

Comment

hi bolt

how do i indentify wich one is the TV line o/p transistor?

i have to old tv's damaged in my garage...

hugs
                  Light, I Am!

You are Not a Body that has a Spirit, You are a Spirit that Has a Body! There is no Path to Peace, Peace is the Path!

Comment

@Juju

Sorry I've been away for the past week.

I'm trying to catch up with the Katcher.

Is this the schematic you all decided to use:

If so, what are the parts values you decided on?

Transformer?

Thanks,
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dllabarre; 07-15-2010, 03:46 PM.
                    Don

Comment

Originally posted by ABCStore View Post
                      You're welcome.

Primary - 3-5 turns of heavy gauge wire, I use D~8mm
                      Secondary - the more the better

ABC
                      Are you sure your wire is ~ 8mm diameter?
                      Thats huge according to this chart or this chart is wrong.
                      Regular, solid, 20 amp house wire in US is 2mm.

AWG to square mm Wire Gauge Conversion

Please clarify.
                      Don

Comment

my friend, there's no need for the transformer!

you can feed the circuit from a 12v battery or wall adaptor...

he is right about the wire gauge, but you can use 5 mm wire, or even 1mm will also work...

in the video that i posted up in the thread you can see that the guy use very thick wire, close to 8mm or so!

from what i understand, the katcher circuit is just what we called the "slayer exiter"!

you can see the video of my katcher here: YouTube - jujusalva's Channel

Originally posted by dllabarre View Post
                        @Juju

Sorry I've been away for the past week.

I'm trying to catch up with the Katcher.

Is this the schematic you all decided to use:

If so, what are the parts values you decided on?

Transformer?

Thanks,
                        Light, I Am!

Comment

Originally posted by TanTric View Post
                          my friend, there's no need for the transformer!

you can feed the circuit from a 12v battery or wall adaptor...

he is right about the wire gauge, but you can use 5 mm wire, or even 1mm will also work...

in the video that i posted up in the thread you can see that the guy use very thick wire, close to 8mm or so!

from what i understand, the katcher circuit is just what we called the "slayer exiter"!

you can see the video of my katcher here: YouTube - jujusalva's Channel

Thank you,

Can you send me the schematic you used (translated to english) and the parts you used?

What size wire and how many turns for each coil?

I want to stop at the electronic store on my way home today to buy parts.

Thank you,
                          Last edited by dllabarre; 07-15-2010, 06:00 PM.
                          Don

Comment

Hi guys!

Im buying some...

TIP3055
                            TIP42C

and..
                            MJE13009

I chose the first 2 as i found people on here using them for exiters and kachers. As i understand it (and its partly thanks to you juju) a kacher/brovin generator is pretty similar to a exiter/SEC or even a Tesla coil. I already have a Tesla coil, but it has been an ambition of mine to make a ''mini tesla coil'', as well as a big ''sh*t your pant'' tesla coil .

I chose the last one due to this website

Transistor Driven High Voltage Flyback Transformer Page.

where the tranny seems to work very well in a circuit with a flyback transformer. (wish i could find a CHEAP NTE 284 also.... : )....i dont see much difference between the circuit on the link above, and the kacher/exiter/mini tesla coil. Maybe im wrong?

Anyway - i need at least a 20 quid order from the shop im buying from.....so ANY OTHER TRANSISTORS RECOMMENDED FOR EXITERS/SECS/KACHERS/BROVIN GENNYS/SOLID STATE TESLA COILS????

All will be ordered and arrive in a week or two!

Comment

sory, just seen your post now, am i still on time?

my secondary is 0.3mm wire... 150ohm

the primary is 1mm wire, 5 turns (but you can use more thicker!

the schematic is that one in your post (PNP), but instead i use NPN config, i suggest TIP3055 or TIP31C... the secondary is connected to the base (on the side closer to primary), the primary is connected from batery positive to colector, and emiter goes to batery negative! if dont work, change the primary end wires!

to make it self start put a transistor of 1k to 5k from bat positive to base!

Originally posted by dllabarre View Post
                              Thank you,

Can you send me the schematic you used (translated to english) and the parts you used?

What size wire and how many turns for each coil?

I want to stop at the electronic store on my way home today to buy parts.

Thank you,
                              Last edited by TanTric; 07-15-2010, 07:19 PM.
                              Light, I Am!

Comment

Originally posted by TanTric View Post
                                sory, just seen your post now, am i still on time?

Just in time!!!

Thank you.

Bye...
                                Don

Comment

Working...
                                X