Newman Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newman Motor

I read his book twice....mostly BS but a few gems developed in my brain. In particular, the study of his commutator yielded very good information. I watched the documentary and I can see where having one of the few real OU devices that actually self-recharge for the most part (and it is), and then facing all the obstacles from the political system, would drive a man insane with anger and paranoia. He was deluded in many things, one of which is the belief he was turning copper atoms into energy. Sorry Joe, that ain't what you were doing.

I've watched every video I can find on youtube and I discovered the improvement in speed, power, and efficiency that came with the development of Big Eureka. It can even be done with solid state commutation instead of the physical commutator. However, I would like to start with one that uses the physical commutator.

If anyone has a decent machine they built and would like to sell it *reasonable" because freight these days are ridiculous; please let me know.

I'll build my own if I have to but I know there are machines out there somewhere which I am willing to trade money for the time and effort it would take me. I don't really enjoy building. I prefer to lay in bed and lose sleep thinking and inventing.

Orion

Wrapped a bucket with heavy gauge paper and started wrapping #20 gauge wire. Put like 10 winds then use super glue and homemade shellac I made to fix them in place. This is not the definition of fun. Must be a better way. My back is already killing me and I prolly have 300 more turns.

Comment

Problem solved

Comment

I am going to abandon the "bucket approach". Sure I use my drill but I still have to keep all the turns tight together. My pain comes from taking care of my Mother who died a year ago at 94 from dementia. She had insurance for 5 hours a day outside care coming in The other 19 hours was on me. This went on for 7 years. The last two years she didn't know me. The last six months she was bedridden. I injured and reinjured my back having to move her around. I gave her the gift of living and dying at home and I wouldn't change that for anything. That's why I have a difficult time building and why I don't tolerate whining or fighting.

I use OPENSCAD to make my own 3D parts. I'm designing (in sections with pins and sockets) a 18" or 24" diameter hula hoop with the outer rim open so I can easily wind it with wire I lose some inductance by not have single layer longer coil but it will still work for testing. I can also make several and stack them wired in series so I can find out the exact benefit of more inductance and resistance to lower the current. It is the perfect solution to my problem

Orion

Pictures to come!

Comment

I have a couple of these foot pedals that I picked up at a yard sale years and years ago. I use one on MY coil winding setup. It allows you to keep BOTH hands free while controlling power to your drill, or an AC motor coupled to your shaft by pressing on it with your foot. You have to get the hang of it at first, but it doesn’t take long. I built a wooden box for my drill that it sets in so I don’t have to hold it, and then plug it into this. I put a zip tie around the trigger on my drill so it is always fully depressed and control the speed of the drill with the foot pedal. I’m incredibly interested in your progress on this as I understand what you are looking for and agree. Going to do something similar on a smaller scale with 6” pvc pipe. Pipe is already cut and Bob is already winding his. I will start winding mine tomorrow. Anyway, can throw this in the mail next time I go to town if you’re interested. Shipping is on me. My contribution to the effort. C09438BD-9437-4B51-8CD7-F9791886E6FE.jpeg B81CB836-4E4B-4365-BC0C-829B2978BD2E.jpeg
          “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
          —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I’m going to try the hula hoop method. Either I print or find flexible pipe at the hardware store

Orion

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            I have a couple of these foot pedals that I picked up at a yard sale years and years ago. I use one on MY coil winding setup. It allows you to keep BOTH hands free while controlling power to your drill, or an AC motor coupled to your shaft by pressing on it with your foot. You have to get the hang of it at first, but it doesn’t take long. I built a wooden box for my drill that it sets in so I don’t have to hold it, and then plug it into this. I put a zip tie around the trigger on my drill so it is always fully depressed and control the speed of the drill with the foot pedal. I’m incredibly interested in your progress on this as I understand what you are looking for and agree. Going to do something similar on a smaller scale with 6” pvc pipe. Pipe is already cut and Bob is already winding his. I will start winding mine tomorrow. Anyway, can throw this in the mail next time I go to town if you’re interested. Shipping is on me. My contribution to the effort. C09438BD-9437-4B51-8CD7-F9791886E6FE.jpeg B81CB836-4E4B-4365-BC0C-829B2978BD2E.jpeg

Comment

If that's the route you want to go, I would suggest this: I know Lowes has some plastic stuff that is shaped like a "U", only it is square. (Picture attached from internet) Use an old bicycle wheel (because it will spin while you are winding!!!) and put this track around the outside. When you are done, take the track off the wheel and lay it flat around some nails pounded into a board. If you want it wider, just put a thin piece of flat plastic around the bicycle wheel. You could have it as wide as you want. 6", 8", whatever. I used a 12 inch wide piece of plastic like this on TWO bicycle wheels with an axel through the middle to build a rotor with ferrite magnets glued to it in the old days. Wind it, glue it, and remove it from the wheel when you are done.

plastic track.png
              Last edited by Turion; 08-04-2022, 09:40 PM.
              “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
              —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

Hoola Hoop - scaleable to any size. This one is 18" diameter, 5 mm wall thickness, ID = 1"
                For this size will be printed in two pieces and uses a slotted glue collar just like you would pvc.

hoola hoop.png

Attached Files

Comment

Hoola Hoop - scaleable to any size. This one is 18" diameter, 5 mm wall thickness, ID = 1"
                  For this size will be printed in two pieces and uses a slotted glue collar just like you would pvc.

hoola hoop.png

Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmm....maybe I'll print cross braces with center hub to use a drill to turn it!

Orion

Comment

Better idea.... going to make it a rectangle slot like 1” dia 2” deep. Overlapped sections with pins and no collar needed. Can take apart one at a time and tape coil together if desired after winding.

Comment

I am not a very good teacher in this video. The video shows my multifilar winding machine. It uses a gearbox and motor that would break wires unless I made this control. All it does is puts a mini-variac and another inductor all in series with the motor. This lets me set the breaking point without burning out motors.

Sorry about the dark video but it get light half way thru. I can wind at any safe speed and it can be stopped by laying my hand on it. This is my means of setting the tension and not break windings. I tried it without the control and it was impossible to slow down or stop in time.

Last edited by BroMikey; 08-07-2022, 12:59 AM.

Comment

This video is far shorter, plenty of light and shows how well the limiter works. 8min video. You can put this on a drill winder because a drill has a gearbox

Comment

You were right Matt

Orion

Comment

Originally posted by OrionLightShip View Post
                              You were right Matt

Orion
                              If you would like I can remove the videos if you feel they are unre4lated? No need to whine

Comment

Working...
                              X