Renaming Electrical Engineering Terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming Electrical Engineering Terms

I come from a computer programming background. In computer programming using good names is one of the most important things in coding. Naming is the one of the most fascinating parts of computer programming and is directly applicable to real world. For example lets say you want to convert a word document into html, and then post it to your website programmically. You’d create a function in a coding language and the function would have a name. A bad name would be something like ‘processdata’ or ‘senddata’, if you were to reread that code 2-3 months from now, you’d have no fricken clue what you meant by ‘processdata’ or ‘senddata’. If someone else reads that code, they'd have no fricken clue what you meant by 'processdata' or 'senddata'. Those names are incredibly vague and could quite literally mean almost anything. This means you(or the person reading your code) would have to physically look through the code of the function to figure out and understand what it does. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days depending on complexity. If you instead named the function ‘postdoc2htmlwebsite’ or ‘convertdoc2htmlpost’ then if you reread that code 2-3months from now, you’d know exactly what it does, no understanding of the underlying code is required, and you save minutes/hours/days of your time. My point is good names can allow for the complete bypass of memorization. You can extend this into other subjects to completely bypass memorization of the terms within the subject.

The names used in electrical engineering are horribly named. Names like ‘Ohm’, ‘Weber’, ‘Volts’, ‘Amps’, ‘Newtons’, ‘Joules’, ‘Columbs’ etc are named after whomever ‘discovered’ the equation for the relationship. Because electrical engineering terms are so badly named we have to physically figure out what's actually occurring in reality and spend brain memory space to associate the bad name to the actual concept. This is just like dealing with a badly named function in computer programming, but instead of wasting hours or days of time to figure out what the code function does, electrical engineers must spend YEARS figuring out what the horribly named terms actually represent in reality. This causes a massive amount of confusion and complication.

Imo proper naming is the key to a universal language for mathematics. Here are a few laws of nature, base explanations of common terms, and some better names for the terms used in electrical engineering that I've pieced together after years of trying to figure out how electricity is actually working. I incorporated my computer programming CamelCase naming.
    • Natural laws of the universe can almost never be broken, but they can be bent.
    • Law of One. We are one for all and all for one. We are both, its a matter of precision and ratios. There are no decimals or fractions in nature, but there are precision and fractals. The golden ratio is 1 not 1.618. Meaning 3/2=1, 5/3=1, 7/4=1, 7/5=1, 7/6=1, 100/51=1, 666666/333334=1 because there are no decimals or fractions in nature. Nature is fractal not fractional. The variation between species is a result of precision and fractals. Supposedly the Egyptian hieroglyph for plant equaled 1000, for finger equaled 10000, for frog equaled 100,000 and for woman equaled 1,000,000. Perhaps the Egyptians understood nature does not deal in decimals and fractions, she deals in precision and fractals. Using the Egyptian system it means 1000/501=1 could be 1 variation of plant, and 1000/673=1 could be another variation of the plant as long as the variation keeps the golden ratio 1 it is permissible by the law of one. We all look different because of this concept, its about precision and fractals.
    • Ground is the connection to the universal one creator from which all things fractally stem. Imo understanding ground is the most important and interesting thing about electrical engineering.
    • Law of Equilibrium. Everything must have more than half of its self connected to 1 or it will crumble/fail/fall/disintegrate/die/collapse etc. Try it with 2 equal sized blocks. Place one block on top of another, slowly inch the top block towards a side until it tips, take note when the structure collapses, its exactly when the top block extends past the half way point on the bottom block in other words its no longer 1 connected object. Try it with 3 equal sized blocks, place the top 2 blocks on top of one another and slowly inch them towards a side of the bottom block, the exact same thing will happen like when using the 2 equal sized blocks because the top 2 blocks are considered 1 block by universal law of one. Now remove the topmost block so you only have 2 equal sized blocks again. Inch the top block 1/3(this is a ratio not a fraction) of the way towards a side. Then place the 3rd block on top of the 2nd block. Slowly move the 3rd block towards the side, take note when the structure collapses. Its when the top block is 2/3rds(ratio not fraction) of the way off the bottom block. In other words the 3rd block was able to reach further than half way off the 1st block because of the 2nd block being 1/3rd of the way past the bottom. Try it with 4 equal sized blocks, the precision increases and now the smallest unit of measurement (counterspace aka SpaceCounter aka what is used to count units of space) is 1/4th(ratio not fraction) a block instead of 1/3rd a block when 3 blocks were used. Try with a 5th block, the smallest unit of measurement becomes 1/5th a block, and so on to infinity. This simple occurrence is true in all aspects of nature. Its the law of equilibrium.
    • Dimensions are exactly what Eric Dollard explains in "A Common Language For Electrical Engineering". 1st is Time, 2nd is Space, 3rd is Dielectric, and 4th is Magnetic. Time and Space relate to measurement. Dielectric and Magnetic relate to substance.
    • Ether is the primordial substance of the universe, there is no such thing as emptiness(or random but that is a different subject all together).
    • Pressure is the result of a change in equilibrium. Pressure builds because of the universal law of equilibrium programmed into all of creation. Nature seeks to correct things that are out of equilibrium. High 'voltage'(EthericPressure) while a circuit is off means the amount of ether is much greater than normal amounts of ether allowed for the allotted amount of space containing the circuit. High pressure in water pipes means the amount of water is much greater than normal amounts of water allowed in the allotted amount of space containing the pipes.
    • Volts(aka electric potential)=EthericPressure. Works like water pressure in pipes. Usually its only applicable while circuit is off. When circuit is on this will drop to zero or close to zero.
    • Volts(aka electro motive force)=EthericFlowForce. This is dependent on 'Amps' aka speed of the etheric flow and the EthericPressure while the circuit was off. Usually its only applicable while circuit is on. When circuit is off this equals zero or close to zero. Eric Dollard helped me break this mind parasite, I woulda never figured out that Volts means 2 different things.
    • Ohms(aka resistance)=EthericFlowConstriction. It only applies when a circuit is 'on'. It works like water flow constriction from a larger pipe to a smaller pipe to a larger pipe, when water is not flowing the larger and small pipes are in equilibrium aka 1.
    • Amps(aka current)=EthericFlowSpeed. It only applies when a circuit is 'on'. It equals zero when circuit is off and works like rate of water flow in pipes.
    • Newtons=arbitrary and irrelevant. Its the equivalent to counting units of force in number of “Prime Mike Tyson Punches”. It can work but its a completely arbitrary term.
    • Joules=same as Newtons but for ‘energy and work’.
    • Columbs(aka charge)=MaxEthericPressure doesn’t mean the current amount of etheric pressure, just the max amount. Etheric pressure could also be called max electrostatic charge for this term, but pressure keeps things consistent.
    • Farad(aka capacitance)=RateOfEthericDepressurization a capacitor has a very high rate of etheric depressurization and a battery has a very low rate of etheric depressurization. In other words its the time it takes to go from MaxEthericPressure to 0(or close to 0).
    • Webers=RateUntilEquilibrium, as in the time it takes for the ether around the conductive metallic wires to reach equilibrium or drain to zero aka time it takes for all of the water within the pipes to reach equilibrium or drain to zero.
    • Hertz(aka frequency)=RateOfTime. Expressed as number of cycles that occur within a specific unit of time, in the case of Hertz the unit of time is seconds.
    • Henry(aka inductance)=I don't know yet. I haven't gotten to inductance yet.
    • Watt(aka power)=I don't know yet. I haven't gotten to power yet.
    • Reluctance=I don't know yet. I haven't gotten to reluctance yet.
    • Admittance=I don't know yet. I haven't gotten to admittance yet.
    • Impedance=I don't know yet. I haven't gotten to impedance yet.
    • Susceptance=I don't know yet. I haven't gotten to susceptance yet.
    • Reactance=I don't know yet. I haven't gotten to reactance yet.

The names can be simplified by removing repeating words. So the words "Etheric", and "Flow" could be removed from the names, EthericPressure, EthericFlowForce, EthericFlowConstriction, EthericFlowSpeed, MaxEthericPressure, RateOfEthericDepressurization. Leaving us with Pressure, Force, Constriction, Speed, MaxPressure, RateOfDepressurization, RateUntilEquilibrium, and RateOfTime.

I may not be correct in my understanding above but I know for certain if the horribly named terms used for measurement in electrical engineering were replaced there would be a drastic increase in the understanding of what is actually physically occuring when it comes to electricity. Instead of taking years to understand whats actually physically occuring, the understanding would be instanteous because the good name would bypass the need to figure out what is actually physically occuring, saving everyone years of their lives trying to figure out how electricity actually works. If anyone has any better suggestions for names or thinks I'm wrong in my understanding of above concepts please feel free to correct me in the comments.

Some of the above I cherry picked (adapted) from Fractal Woman, Ken Wheeler, and Eric Dollard and incorporated it into my own personal view as of this post(my view might be different a week from now if I come across a better explanation).

I really like you idea of fixing all the names
    it did take me a long time to figure out what was going on with all the current terms

Comment

I have discovered a common core making changes to electrical engineering, the changes in terminology eliminates older engineers and is beneficial for those in power
      while dumming down efforts by proven conservative electronics text books by changing the narrative radically and forcing that as prerequisites to graduate.
      In the US there are outstanding electronics authors that I trust even if the material may need small updates the quality and selection of text is available for colleges of the free world. The process of adopting textbooks those selection committees decision is an important group to keep an eye on.

Dollard mostly points to real old books like Steinmetz and Tesla.
      Ken Wheeler points I get cross eyed. perceptual terms like in photography and optics.
      People thought Tesla terminology was odd but as an inventor the patents had to give the parts of the invention a name.
      So patents are categorized with system of dichotomy heirarchy class and sub classification. sub class must be growing.
      Some people make parts with a 3D printer and have the task of thinking about which name logically describes it's function.
      Two big "why" questions are asked in applying for patent. 1. Why is it new ? 2. Why is it useful ?
      I guess the digital age technology is making rapid change in terminology but watch out for common core.
      Last edited by mikrovolt; 05-25-2021, 03:25 AM.

Comment

I have helped someone with common core math...
        common core anything seems to be designed to make sure no one knows any details or logic

Comment

Working...
        X