No announcement yet.

Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody has anything new to report this morning? My, this is the quietest it's been around here in days. I got the shunt regulator circuit partially built yesterday, I should have it finished today. Then I will be able to make genuine apples-to-apples power measurement comparisons when running in either open loop or closed loop mode. No more of this "how bright is that lamp?" guesswork. If the device shows a power gain, it will read on the meters, period. If it does not, then we will know. What I am expecting at this point is that even running at 24V input on the ZVS, giving about 26KV on the antenna, I doubt this is enough to show a net gain yet. I have a slate of parts on order to make two multiplier stacks, one for each polarity so the HVM drive circuitry can be close to neutral potential. I also ordered a replacement transformer for my PVM12 so I can either fix it or use the transformer as an AC flyback with the ZVS if more power is needed. Running at 24V+ of input that ZVS should be able to deliver some serious grunt, but as I said previously I don't think that will be necessary if the output is being truly powered by the environment and not by the HVM itself.

More parts, always more parts. I also need to get some high value, HV rated resistors to use as safety drain resistors for the caps. They don't store a large amount of energy but safety is never a bad idea. The mirror circuit is particularly difficult to drain with a shorting jumper, because if you dump the cap on one side, it transfers most of the energy right into the cap on the other side. You have to jumper both at the same time, and if the flyback has an internal cap too this complicates matters as well. The kilovoltmeter with 1G resistor serves as an effective drain on the flyback, but I need some more resistors to put on the two doorknob caps. The trick is to find an available resistance value that is high enough not to dissipate more than a trivial amount of power in operation and yet still drain the caps quickly after the power is off.

Also, the multiplier stacks will need to be potted in order to reach higher potentials. I'd really like to do this in an acrylic tube with acrylic casting resin, so the whole thing will be crystal clear and look nice. However, to get good results will do doubt require putting it under vacuum. I have a vacuum pump and I can use a canning jar as a small bell jar, but I have no prior experience working with casting resin, so no doubt some trial and error will be involved. Since this is the coolest technology on the planet, my inner geek really wants it to look the part as well. Of course, it doesn't HAVE to look like a prop from a science fiction movie in order to do what it does, I just WANT it to....

I am thinking of reorganizing the arrangement so that instead of the baseplate being basically 15x29 inches, it will be more like 12x28 inches. The main coils will be horizontal axis in the center, with the HV section on one side and the LV section on the other side. I can build up the boards in vertical stacks, so basically the HVM would be the bottom board on the HV side, then on top of it the multipliers, then on top of that the PPV's and input circuit. On the LV side the bottom board would be the rectifiers, then on top of that the caps or batteries, then at the top (where it can dissipate heat effectively) the shunt regulator. The boards can be 12 inches wide, to match the length of the coil forms, so the whole device should be a box basically about 12x28x12. I just got some more funds so I'm planning on ordering some green fluorescent acrylic sheet to build out of. The fluorescent acrylic is UV-reactive and glows very strongly. It's possible the HV/HF coming from the coils themselves will be strong enough to drive a fluorescent tube when in operation, so I'll put blacklight tubes next to the coils and the whole thing will light up and glow. Perhaps also some electroluminescent wire strategically placed, I haven't figured that out yet. If I can pull it off, it will indeed look like a prop from some sci-fi movie when I'm done. Then a decal that says "21st Century Motor Company"-- a few might get that reference....

Comment

• Originally posted by tswift View Post
      Nobody has anything new to report this morning? My, this is the quietest it's been around here in days.
      Just let you know I finished to isolate from the wood base plate the hv side yesterday. But I have no time to connect to ant/ground and put power on yet.
      Maybe soon...

Comment

• Shunt regulator completed and tested, at least up to 1A current. At 1A it's possible to use the 12V zener to directly drive a 3055, measured base current for this case was 70 mA (transistor beta of ~14) so this will make a 2W zener warm but not cook it. Using the darlington arrangement this transistor then drives another bigger transistor for up to around 15A of current. Note that the heat sink I'm using is only good for about 50W continuous power, but the transistor can handle 15A intermittently. Both transistors are 3055's, one is a 2N3055 (TO-3 case) and the other is a TIP3055 (TO-220 case). Obviously the power dissipation on the drive transistor is much smaller. Sure enough, at 1A both heatsinks get slightly warm after a few minutes. I don't have an adjustable bench supply capable of supplying more than 1A for testing, so hopefully the circuit works as intended at higher currents too. It would probably also be a good idea to put a fuse on the whole regulator, in the event of a short right now the entire energy in the cap bank is going to dump through it with probably unpleasant results.

Full resolution pictures:
        http://gateway.ipfs.io/ipfs/QmWEEojP...GmVQQDF88uiAs6
        http://gateway.ipfs.io/ipfs/QmPjmA5V...P7ispARgE84AdF
        Attached Files

Comment

• OK! I have no time right now for more testing but I just whant to give a short test to my last setup.

Results: way more voltage than my first set setup! My new flyback may be the cause... the PPV fire quite well.
          The light on secondary barely glow. ( I think to had more turn on the secondary...

Strange things: The antenna emit a strange isssssssshing sound... AVOID touching it!!!
          When I connect the power on ,with alligator clip on the 12v batt, I get schocked!!! I can see the spark hitting me . For sure it is im to close to the ground rod with my boots and there is still some leakage on my board. I have put the board directly on the snow close to the ground for the quick test... Next time I will drive some hv wire from the antenna and ground inside for more isolation...

Any experimented comments are welcome!

But hey guys; the light glow!!!

ps: sorry no photo this time; I have not bring my camera with me...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wistiti View Post
            OK! I have no time right now for more testing but I just whant to give a short test to my last setup.

Results: way more voltage than my first set setup! My new flyback may be the cause... the PPV fire quite well.
            The light on secondary barely glow. ( I think to had more turn on the secondary...

Strange things: The antenna emit a strange isssssssshing sound... AVOID touching it!!!
            When I connect the power on ,with alligator clip on the 12v batt, I get schocked!!! I can see the spark hitting me . For sure it is im to close to the ground rod with my boots and there is still some leakage on my board. I have put the board directly on the snow close to the ground for the quick test... Next time I will drive some hv wire from the antenna and ground inside for more isolation...

Insulation is the key. Because of leakages you get shocked. The sound the antenna is making is because of leakages. Everything around is getting charged. When properly insulated everything will be quiet.

I know this because i all had the same symptoms. Different part is got shocked by the antenna

Comment

• A few observation and questions :

I Noticed everyone have large diameter air coils:
              what advantage does a large diameter coils have over smaller coils (2" pipe) with ferite as core?

When PPV fire's through Primary does it behave like regular Induction? or are there any odd phenomenon?

Has anyone tried putting more secondary coils? I mean have more secondary coils, same amount of turns and have their own rectifiers and parallel to each other. I ask this because in experiments with buck converters using air core coils I have placed many parallel secondary coils surrounding the primary with their own rectifiers, and I have notice an Increase in output though not that much but It has Increase the overall Efficiency of the device, will this scenario apply as well?.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wistiti View Post
                OK! I have no time right now for more testing but I just whant to give a short test to my last setup.

Excellent! Sounds like you're making progress now. You're finding out the hard way exactly what Mwtj and I have also found out the hard way, insulation is considerably more difficult than you expect once you start dealing with tens of kilovolts. Even if you have to hook your device up outside to run it (so do I), you can power it up on the workbench to verify that everything is charging and no leaks. Darken the room completely if you can and wait a couple minutes for your eyes to dark adapt, as if you were stargazing. A dim red LED light source of some kind helps so you can at least see to touch things. Then power it up and you can see the purple corona around any place that is leaking HV. It's audible too, that's the hissing sound. There's no avoiding it around the antenna since that's what we are trying to produce. Under dark enough conditions the whole thing will probably glow purple when charged, that's the ionization at work! Make sure no people or objects can come close to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ricards View Post
                  A few observation and questions :

I Noticed everyone have large diameter air coils:
                  what advantage does a large diameter coils have over smaller coils (2" pipe) with ferite as core?
                  In general a larger diameter air core coil will have a higher Q. Reference a lot of Eric Dollard's work for instance, as well as Tesla. That's not to say that a smaller coil with ferrite might not work. Try it and let us know when you find out. Right now all of us are following the "Bruce probably knows best" approach....

Originally posted by ricards View Post
                  When PPV fire's through Primary does it behave like regular Induction? or are there any odd phenomenon?
                  A very good question, and one that essentially cuts to the heart of what we're trying to do here. Theoretically, the energy in the primary is different than normal electricity, so it in fact does NOT behave like normal induction, because normal induction is always under unity. I am also curious about what happens in the space around the coil where the magnetic field is significant. A few of the things I would suspect might be mechanical forces and movements, cold and/or heat, and perhaps even odd temporal effects if you had a watch or clock that could operate that close to a source of HV/HF and not be affected by it. In particular, I expect the endothermic effect that is often associated with true overunity. If my understanding is at all correct, then the secondary winding should get COLD in direct proportion to the amount of power being drawn from it. It probably won't be noticeable unless we're dealing with much higher power levels than we are currently.

But to answer your question, we just don't know yet but stay tuned. As Wistiti is finding out, just making the apparatus well-insulated enough to run as designed is more of a challenge than you would think. Just looking at the schematic, it looks so simple....

Originally posted by ricards View Post
                  Has anyone tried putting more secondary coils? I mean have more secondary coils, same amount of turns and have their own rectifiers and parallel to each other. I ask this because in experiments with buck converters using air core coils I have placed many parallel secondary coils surrounding the primary with their own rectifiers, and I have notice an Increase in output though not that much but It has Increase the overall Efficiency of the device, will this scenario apply as well?.
                  Also worth investigating. Let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

• I decided to play around a bit, gathered some parts and pieces... wound 10 turns of 8ga speaker wire around a ferrite core as the primary and 2 turns of the same wire for the secondary. I'm using a homemade 10kv 10nf cap ( funny red thing ). I grabbed up an 8kv NST I had on the shelf and regulated it with a 15uf cap to the AC mains. Wired as Bruce stated using only one half of the mirror circuit.

The two bulbs are 12 volt 50 watt bulbs in parrallel so there is somewhere in the range of 6+ amps flowing through them. The circuit draws just under 40 watts. The spark gap is one I've used on multiple projects and has thoriated tungsten tips.

As you can see it's really a shabby build, pretty much a spaghetti ball that took all of 20 minutes to assemble. No reason to make excuses for experimenting with the circuit.

https://youtu.be/gt6hybPUXVI

I'll have to dig out some analog meters and see if I can get some reasonable readings on the secondary.... I was bored with my other projects and needed a fun diversion - this one fit the bill quite nicely.
                    Last edited by dragon; 02-02-2017, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dragon View Post
                      I decided to play around a bit, gathered some parts and pieces... wound 10 turns of 8ga speaker wire around a ferrite core as the primary and 2 turns of the same wire for the secondary. I'm using a homemade 10kv 10nf cap ( funny red thing ). I grabbed up an 8kv NST I had on the shelf and regulated it with a 15uf cap to the AC mains. Wired as Bruce stated using only one half of the mirror circuit.
                      Ah, so we have sucked you in after all! Is there an antenna somewhere I'm not seeing?

Comment

• The vacuum was to strong, I fought it the best I could... then... into the abyss I went...

Yes the antenna is on the top of the red cap ( spark gap end ), the large 1/0 black cable is the earth ground going to 1 side of the NST. The other side of the NST to a diode and bottom of the cap. Identical to Bruce's diagram

I guess, inadvertently, the answer to ricards question has been answered about the ferrite.. whether it's equally as effective as an air core is still unanswered...

Edit: I have some large aluminum sheet I'm going to set up above ground to experiment with along with a few other idea's I need to get out of my head...
                        Last edited by dragon; 02-02-2017, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Yes guys, I have to admit your are completely right about the insulation...
                          Thanks for the help. Sometime it's take time to understand...

One other thing I notice on my quick test and have seen on the last video of Dragon is the light did not glow instantly when the power is on; it's take some time before the power build up...

Thanks tswift for the advice of trouble shout the leakage in dark room. I know Soundiceuk, Mjtw and you have say it before but this time I really understand the importance of avoiding leakage of the hv...

Any other advice are welcome!

ps: Dragon, it's a pleasure to see you jump in!

Comment

• Originally posted by dragon View Post
                            Edit: I have some large aluminum sheet I'm going to set up above ground to experiment with along with a few other idea's I need to get out of my head...
                            I have been running a test this evening for the last hour and a half, charging up the cap bank in open loop mode. If it will ever get fully charged then I can read the output current directly on the shunt regulator. However, what I'm finding is that the PPV sparking is noticeably less than the last time I had it hooked up to the antenna just a couple of days ago. I think this is because of the weather conditions, it's now cold and dry, dewpoint is close to freezing. My assumption is that the atmospheric conductivity will affect the ion current, in this case reducing it which is not a good thing. More voltage would pull in more ions of course, but in my current configuration I have no way to adjust the voltage. Once I have a boost regulator it should be possible to dial it up and down, which could be handy.

At any rate, I have been thinking off and on about the problem of the antenna wire. I get significant hissing on the antenna wire and just a little bit of visible corona in places. Instead of the whole length of the wire it seems to be mainly coming from discrete points, perhaps they are scratches or dust on the wire, I'm not sure. I could make a frame of some kind and put a whole bunch of the 30 gauge wire on it somehow, but I still haven't been able to figure out a good way to do this that will give good results and not take too much time to build.

All of which brings us to the plate. Of course we're all familiar with Tesla's use of the plate as a radiant collector. That might be relevant here, and might not. We're trying to generate a small but nonzero amount of corona and ionization current, and a smooth flat plate is going to be very inefficient at that except at the edges and corners. But perhaps it's worth a try? It sure would be easier than doing a whole sub-project winding a bunch of that (*&^*%$# fine wire. I don't have a suitable plate of something like aluminum on hand, and I also don't have any idea how to start estimating what size plate would be necessary. A plate of any significant size is going to get pretty expensive too. Kind of like with the wire, there is probably an optimum and it probably depends on the voltage. The more voltage, the less current so the less collector area should be necessary. Again, just speculating based on what I know so far....

Comment

• Interesting info in regard to Volta's Bi-metal contacts.

Read on from page 36
                              http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED182155.pdf

Originally posted by tswift View Post
                              OK, I promised pictures so here they are. One shows the revised PPV components, the other is the completed new bench test arrangement with the L1 and L2 coils. L1 is 20.5 turns of 40KV rated wire around an 8 inch form and L2 is 2 turns of the same wire around a 10 inch form. I didn't have time yesterday to do anything more than previously described. I did note that when using the screwdriver as an antenna, I would get sparks up to about half an inch long jumping from the PPV anode bolt to the screwdriver whenever I approached it or withdrew from it. When the screwdriver is touching the PPV starts sparking and the spark color seems more whitish than bluish.

I also noticed that various small dust particles around the PPV started dancing when I had the HV on and especially once I touched the screwdriver. Some of this might just be electrostatic repulsion but I'm not sure.
                              Last edited by Majestic81; 02-02-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Majestic81 View Post
                                Interesting info in regard to Volta's Bi-metal contacts.

Read on from page 36
                                http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED182155.pdf

Excellent find! I love old info like this! Kudos to you!

Comment

Working...
                                X