Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wistiti View Post
    The output of the zvs/flyback is a pulsed dc... I think it could work with the multiplier...
    Anyway, will try and see...
    You are correct, I think pulsed DC would work if it is rectified and doesn't change sign, like an AC half-wave. The problem is that I think there is a final smoothing cap on the output of the internal multiplier module, and that will make it just DC with minimal pulsation. Even my HV probe is only rated to 5KV and that's still too much voltage to attach it directly to the flyback output to measure it. The ZVS will operate down to about 8V input voltage I found so that would reduce it somewhat. I suppose I could also use some of my HV resistors and make voltage divider to measure it, I should have thought of that sooner.

Comment

• Originally posted by tswift View Post
      Yes, I now have enough caps and diodes on hand to make a 5-stage multiplier. Unfortunately the multiplier has to be driven with AC and the flyback that came with this ZVS driver is DC, it has an internal multiplier and a final cap. So it's great to use by itself but you can't put an external multiplier on it. I haven't yet tried stacking two batteries and driving it at 24 volts, supposedly these cheap units are rated up to 30 volts input. This will increase the input power requirements quite a bit I feel sure, so not really a great solution. My PVM12 still runs but I think there are issues with it. Depending on what I try to do with it, sometimes I can hear hissing or popping like an HV leak coming from it but I can't see anything even in the dark with the cover off. I'm afraid there is an insulation breakdown somewhere inside the HV transformer. As long as the output voltage stays moderate it works but if the voltage swing gets too high it arcs over internally. I will try driving the multiplier with it and see how far I get. I noticed on the amazing1.com website that replacement transformers are available but of course it's half the price of the whole PVM12 itself. I also had the thought of obtaining a replacement flyback and instead of using it to fix the PVM12, driving it with the ZVS. This will drive it at the resonant frequency of the secondary and ensure maximum voltage rise but the ZVS driver is more powerful and might be too much for the transformer, I don't want to ruin a $50 transformer finding out the hard way.
      try using your DC flyback with the PVM

Comment

• Originally posted by dragon View Post
        I've found, over the years of experimentation, the earth grounds ( ground to ground ) is exceptionally energetic throughout the day and night.

The main difference between the ground/ground and ground/air is the conversion process. Ground/air requires us to deal with a HV conversion to magnetic then to current, the ground/ground is pure current with little voltage and requires a current to magnetic which leads to voltage.

The ground/ground has little to no problems in storms with huge current spikes where the ground/air has a significant risk with extreme voltage spikes. I believe the energy density is about the same either way as it all comes from the same place. The major challenge is in the conversion process, either way.... you deal with super high voltages or massive currents.

Below is an early project I built some 10 years back that functions on grounds only. It will run 24/7 with variations in output - evenings seem most energetic where early mornings are less active which increases to its peak during the day. I believe it's all related to the storm activity around the globe. It uses a ULF ferrite rod and runs in the range of 400hz, I've built several using basic AM frequencies that work well also - all the frequencies that exist, man made and natural, are on the ground lines.

When setting up your grounds they should be aligned to magnetic North. The North rod(s) must be deeper than the South to match the magnetic dip and no less than 30ft apart. You can use the Hartman and Curry grid as a guidline...

There are a number of early ground antenna patents that are quite interesting, as well, some of the early earth battery patents can give you some interesting details for harvesting energy from the ground.

Bruce and I discussed alot of this stuff a few years back, we differed only slightly in most thoughts but I had my head stuck in the ground and he was looking toward the sky.... all fun stuff either way.

It all depends where you are at the time you need the energy. If you are flying around in an aircraft a two antenna system is required. If you are in your home a two ground system is more practical. The circuits the replicators on this forum are building are a composite of antenna and ground systems.

I appreciate you sharing your years of experience here on this forum. Sky and ground energy are mirror images of each other. They are manifestations of the same energy source.

Comment

• @Tswift
          Im thinking to use a dc boost converter to step up the voltage on the zvs from a single 12v batt.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Wistiti View Post
            @Tswift
            Im thinking to use a dc boost converter to step up the voltage on the zvs from a single 12v batt.
            Good idea, I can't think of any reason that won't work. Even without an external multiplier I think there is an internal multiplier within the flyback, probably 2 or 3 stages since it has the "focus" output coming from the first stage. Driven hard enough with a higher voltage input this should reach respectable voltages. I measured 13KV with 12V input, it should be more or less linear with voltage I would think (unloaded). So ramping it up to 24V nominal should be getting close to 30KV. Hopefully this is enough to start getting some more impressive results. Those ZVS/flyback units are plentiful and cheap, I already ordered a spare in case I fry this one.

Comment

• OK, I tried the ZVS with two batteries on the workbench. No antenna or ground connections so essentially no load other than a small amount of leakage current. Sure enough, everything is roughly doubled: dipole voltage now 26KV, input current now 800 mA at 24V nominal (probably about 25V or 26V true). The whole machine crackles with static like a charged CRT, and the PPV's fire every couple of seconds due to just the small leakage current from uninsulated parts. It's possible this might be enough to be useful, I will test it with the antenna and ground after dark.
              Attached Files

Comment

• "In a capacitor one plate must equal the other or else you've got discharges in between". I remember don saying that.

The I remember PDF by bruce states the higher the voltage the better.

Have you guys tried the 400kv high voltage module?

they are really cheap too.

DC 3.6V-6V 400KV 400000V Boost Step-up Power Module High-voltage Generator | eBay

It might break easily though.
                Last edited by ricards; 01-26-2017, 04:52 PM. Reason: breaking

Comment

• Originally posted by ricards View Post
                  "In a capacitor one plate must equal the other or else you've got discharges in between". I remember don saying that.

The I remember PDF by bruce states the higher the voltage the better.

DC 3.6V-6V 400KV 400000V Boost Step-up Power Module High-voltage Generator | eBay

Those will not reach 400kV.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0yi4Y_BtVA[/VIDEO]

Comment

• If we are looking for surface area why not just use a large copper plate ?

Comment

• Originally posted by ricards View Post

No, I wasn't aware of those. Color me skeptical though, the outputs aren't even HV wire. Not sure what it is doing internally but it certainly can't have much power and like you say is probably fragile. I would be astonished to get anything like the published ratings even with no load whatsoever. The boost converter on the other hand I think is a good idea, I went ahead and ordered one on the chance it proves useful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mwtj View Post
                        If we are looking for surface area why not just use a large copper plate ?
                        Well, Bruce can correct me if I'm wrong but what we are actually looking for is ion current not just surface area. The radius of curvature of the surface matters for concentrating the dielectric field lines. It's the same reason why the PPV has a sharp point. So we need a surface with a small radius of curvature, which you could do with sharp points of some kind as one possible method. Hmm, you know this sounds a great deal like reading the Plauson patent! Read it again and look at the various surface treatments applied to the elevated conducting surfaces to increase ionization. In this case the really simple solution is just to use the tiniest wire possible, and lots of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by tswift View Post
                          Well, Bruce can correct me if I'm wrong but what we are actually looking for is ion current not just surface area. The radius of curvature of the surface matters for concentrating the dielectric field lines. It's the same reason why the PPV has a sharp point. So we need a surface with a small radius of curvature, which you could do with sharp points of some kind as one possible method. Hmm, you know this sounds a great deal like reading the Plauson patent! Read it again and look at the various surface treatments applied to the elevated conducting surfaces to increase ionization. In this case the really simple solution is just to use the tiniest wire possible, and lots of it.
                          You could be right there. The only thing comes to mind is will there not be any arc`s between the wires if they are that close together?

I got 0.10mm wire about 7km of it. But it will be a real test to get that wound around any structure.

And what is the difference with the grounding system versus the antenna. So many question! Cannot get my mind around it at the moment.
                          Last edited by Mwtj; 01-26-2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• What wire size did I originally specify for the antenna and what size did you all use?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mwtj View Post
                              You could be right there. The only thing comes to mind is will there not be any arc`s between the wires if they are that close together?

I got 0.10mm wire about 7km of it. But it will be a real test to get that wound around any structure.

And what is the difference with the grounding system versus the antenna. So many question! Cannot get my mind around at the moment.
                              There won't be any arcing between the wires because they are all at the same potential. This antenna is for DC, it's not resonating at some frequency. And yes, I agree working with the really thin stuff is a pain. It wants to kink and it's easy to break unless you're very careful. What I think we're going to discover is that for a given device setup there is an optimum amount of ion current. The higher the voltage on the multiplier the less current should be needed. The ion current represents a power loss and a load on the high voltage module, but it also produces the power gain. So essentially you're looking for a good impedance match for the DC voltage and current capabilities of the driver/multiplier combo. You want enough current to fire the PPV's continuously, but if the antenna has too much area it will load down the HVM too much. The higher the voltage the less antenna area should be required to achieve this.

Comment

• Originally posted by soundiceuk View Post
                                What wire size did I originally specify for the antenna and what size did you all use?
                                0.25mm if i remember correctly of whatever we had

Used 0.5mm and 0.7mm

Comment

Working...
                                X