No announcement yet.

Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As long as it's bare copper then I think it will work, I don't know why it wouldn't. Actually in some ways the braided stuff might be superior, I had a lot of problems with the wire wanting to kink and tangle as I was trying to pull it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wistiti View Post
      Have you an idea how long it take to wind the 2 hv coil "L1, L2".( I refer to the V 7.0.0 schematic)
      I bet you could wind it by hand within an hour and still have a cup of coffee.

Originally posted by Wistiti View Post
      I have another question if you dare; the only bare copper wire I have under hand is a multi strand one see the photo. Do you recommend me to use it for the antenna?

Yeah that cable will work for an antenna. Make sure you use HV insulators.

Comment

• Originally posted by soundiceuk View Post
        I bet you could wind it by hand within an hour and still have a cup of coffee.
        Hahaha!
        Thanks Paul for the reply but I'm not mean long in time but in length of wire... for ordering some hv wire! my English is not always good as i want!
        But i may take the time to take a coffee wile winding on the core!!!

For the ant. Insulator i think to use electric fence insulators see the photo
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Wistiti View Post
          Hahaha!
          Thanks Paul for the reply but I'm not mean long in time but in length of wire... for ordering some hv wire! my English is not always good as i want!
          But i may take the time to take a coffee wile winding on the core!!!
          Hahaha, at least this one can be done by hand easily. Some of the devices on this forum look painful to wind!

I used this website and took a screen grab.

Helical Coil Calculator

I'm not 100% on the exact thickness of the wire / insulation.

I have some 30KV wire lying around so I took a guess at the wire thickness and insulation thickness.

Might be worth asking the supplier if they can provide measurement for the wire thickness and also the total thickness so you can check what the inductance will be.

At least the site gives you the coil length in inches.

Originally posted by Wistiti View Post
          For the ant. Insulator i think to use electric fence insulators see the photo

These insulators will be good for a replication. Not too sure how they will perform if you add a voltage multiplier.

What part of the world are you located in and what is your elevation above sea level?

Comment

• Porcelain or ceramic insulators will work better at higher voltages.

If you already have electric fence insulators lying around gathering dust then you might as well us them for a proof of concept replication.

Comment

• Thank you for the calculator! it is a nice one!!

So we need near 180ft of hv wire (I had spare for connecting the part.)

I am in Canada and my gps give me an elevation of 883ft. I think it will be ok...

So right now I have :
              -Wire for the ant.
              -ground rod
              -zvs driver + flyback
              -c1 and c2
              -part for building the 2x PPV
              -wire for building L3 - L4
              -Fast diode D1- D2- D3- D4
              -bunch of small 20f 2,7vdc cap (will use it cause have it on hand...) Maybe a lead/acid battery with a charge controller may also do the job...

will have to order or find:
              -30kv or more hv wire for L1 - L2
              -8" core for L1 - L2 (I have give a look in an hardware store and 8" is not a common diameter for pvc or abs tube...
              -500kohm pot
              -2x 250pf 1500v variable air cap C3-C4... I have hard time to find them on the net... and they seem really expensive... maybe I will end by building it...
              if someone have a good suggestion on it let me know.

So until I have all the parts, I will follow your works guys!
              Last edited by Wistiti; 12-30-2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• I just thought I should point this out.

10ft HV Tesla Coil CO2 Laser Wire 40KV High Voltage Cable (10KV 15KV 20KV 30KV) | eBay

Using the sellers information in HV wire 22AWG 0.1" and outside diameter 0.178" I noticed that to keep the inductance of 190uH the amount of turns went up to 43.

So definitely pay attention to those dimensions because the length went up to 1080" with 43 turns.

Of course the length of the coil form goes up too.

Comment

• Still actively troubleshooting here, just wanted to give an update. I discovered that not only was my high voltage module (the PVM12) wired differently than I thought, and I hooked it up wrong, but there are several other issues as well. The high voltage diode I'm using is only rated for 8KV, I thought it was 16. There also seems to be a problem with my antenna, just driving the antenna wire directly from the PVM12 HV/HF output, it should be able to light up a fluorescent tube anywhere along the wire and it doesn't. The PVM12 is working, I checked that, but there's enough of a leak to ground somewhere along my antenna to cause problems. I did a visual inspection walking the whole length and nothing is visibly touching it, but at these voltages it doesn't take much. There could be spiderwebs shorting it out or the old PVC pipe I'm using for poles could be slightly conductive. Without a real megohmmeter I have no good way to tell.

I'm also hampered by not having any good way to measure HV voltages. The scope can't read beyond 300V, and the multimeter beyond 1000. I have parts on order to make a kilovolt meter that I can read the actual antenna voltage with, a microammeter plus a 100M high voltage resistor will do it. I also finally ordered a true high voltage 100X 5KV rated scope probe, that will help considerably in troubleshooting. So now I'm waiting on parts yet again....

Just in case anyone thinks it's as simple as throwing a few parts together and expecting it to work right the first time, it isn't. But I have way too much invested in this project, time, money, and large pieces of my life, to turn back now so I'm pressing ahead even though it's getting a bit expensive. Just be prepared that if you want to embark on a build and see it through, there will be some significant cost involved.

Comment

• Tswift I've been emailing you all day and just got an email saying you haven't had any emails from me.

Bruce never told me to test your antenna this way, I just thought it might be a way to test it so my apologies about that.

I'm certain your fault is just down to polarity of your flyback output leads.

If the polarity of PPV is wrong then it won't work.

This article is relevant and takes me back to my first Crypton Tuning lesson in 1998. For those that don't know it was a Crt oscilloscope mainly designed for measuring primary and secondary ignition systems on vehicles with points, condenser and distributor.

The PPV is similar to the spark plug in the article.

Ignition coil polarity

Comment

• OK, apparently we have an email communications problem somewhere, we'll have to figure that out. But the good news is that my first parcel of HV wire just arrived so I can finish fixing the PVM12 properly. The large parcel with the big spool won't be here until next week. Of course today is New Year's Eve so there are some other activities on the schedule and I probably won't get a chance to do much more today. Happy New Year to everyone!

Comment

• It might be yahoo mail struggling with the traffic of outgoing emails.

Or it could be my phone app.

Thing is they are showing in my sent folder.

Aside from that here is one of Mwtj's new ceramic insulators for his antenna.

Can't wait to see your circuit now you've fine tuned and insulated it!

Happy New Year to everyone!

2017 is going to be the Energy Revolution!
                        Last edited by soundiceuk; 12-31-2016, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tswift View Post
                          OK, apparently we have an email communications problem somewhere, we'll have to figure that out. But the good news is that my first parcel of HV wire just arrived so I can finish fixing the PVM12 properly. The large parcel with the big spool won't be here until next week. Of course today is New Year's Eve so there are some other activities on the schedule and I probably won't get a chance to do much more today. Happy New Year to everyone!
                          Well that was good timing on the HV wire.

What KV did you get?

Comment

• Originally posted by soundiceuk View Post
                            Well that was good timing on the HV wire.

What KV did you get?
                            It's the same 40KV stuff you linked to above. I bought a little, then contacted the seller and bought a lot!

Comment

• Tswift did you say your antenna is 500ft?

I found an antenna frequency calculator that I thought was pretty neat.

Whip Antenna Length And Frequency Calculator

Comment

• Happy discovery and result for 2017 guys!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X